Copy Me lighting technique, discussion/volunteers thread.

That's a cool idea. I have just bought a Canon 580 ex ll, umbrella and stand. I would like to participate.

Fantastic Michael. A great series. Will now watch this with interest anbd if I can I'll maybe try one too for sharing :)

Awesome thread! definately one i'll be taking part in when i get my RT for the flash, never done OCF before so this will hopefully make a great learning curve for me!
Micheal i love your work, some brilliant photography!

hi
liking the idea of this, is there a sub section for these?
Is the conversation still up to date? as they're scattered around and this is certainly a great challenge.
kudos to @Michael Sewell for all the threads

Thanks to Michael there is a growing resource here, but one thing I note and I am as guilty as most others......the title is 'copy me lighting' ........ 'and volunteers'.

Where are all the volunteers efforts?

Would be great to see some results or other experiments even if they are not up to Michael's standards, the only way to really learn is by doing, not just sitting on the sidelines.

Thanks as ever to Michael and his continued efforts in posting interesting scenarios.

Thanks to Michael there is a growing resource here, but one thing I note and I am as guilty as most others......the title is 'copy me lighting' ........ 'and volunteers'.

Where are all the volunteers efforts?

Would be great to see some results or other experiments even if they are not up to Michael's standards, the only way to really learn is by doing, not just sitting on the sidelines.

Thanks as ever to Michael and his continued efforts in posting interesting scenarios.

Occasionally folk will post their own interpretations in response to the tutorial thread, which I find quite interesting. I think there was one by @cowboy in response to the Simple Portrait tutorial.
Another response by @cowboy to the Tight Spaces tutorial.

TBH, I'll keep posting as long as there is some feedback (hence why they stalled for a while)

Last edited:
Occasionally folk will post their own interpretations in response to the tutorial thread, which I find quite interesting. I think there was one by @cowboy in response to the Simple Portrait tutorial.
Another response by @cowboy to the Tight Spaces tutorial.

TBH, I'll keep posting as long as there is some feedback (hence why they stalled for a while)
Hi Micheal. I have read a few of these and think they are really good. I will have a try at some but must admit they would be selfies as I am not confident enough to get others involved. I wouldnt want you to stop posting these because of lack of interest.

Gaz

Hi Micheal. I have read a few of these and think they are really good. I will have a try at some but must admit they would be selfies as I am not confident enough to get others involved. I wouldnt want you to stop posting these because of lack of interest.

Gaz

You're not that far from me. Pretty sure we can find someone to act as a light test dummy for you ;)

Hi Michael, a question.

We recently did a similar exercise at the local club, using a softbox light set actually outside of the room we were shooting in.

Afterwards I wasn't too happy about the catchlights created by the softbox which by being outside the window seemed to have double reflections.

Would the white flat avoid this happening or is it likely to be something else?

Ian

Would the white flat avoid this happening or is it likely to be something else?

Ian

The flat is very close to our window and model, and basically fills the whole window frame and more.
A softbox would be smaller, unless you were using one of the Calumet 2mx1m jobs. As the softbox is smaller, it may well be causing a reflection in the glass, which is subsequently seen as a second catchlight.

Is it possible one of the other lights used to light your model from your side (ie, within the room) is being reflected in the glass, and again seen in the catchlight?

Thank you, Michael, it is a second reflection as I suspected.

It was only a single softbox and no internal light was used. Given that this was a demonstration shoot as part of a talk, it might have been inappropriate to start to question the speaker's 'modus operandi' which would have been highly embarrassing for him. This is not my 'core' photography and I am always learning with this type of portraiture. It was however immediately obvious when I reviewed the images at home, and is, as I suspected, a second catchlight reflection, as the softbox was large, but not as large as you suggest.

This is one of the disadvantages of doing things in a largish group.

At least I know for next time or when I 'fly solo'.

Thanks

Ian

Last edited:
Love this image Mike and thanks for sharing your knowledge and technique. I have recently bought my first set of lights (two Lencarta 300's) but haven't played with them yet other than to test that they work so this is just the spur I need to get them out the box and have a go. So thank you once again.

Posting here to avoid cluttering up the image thread.

Back