Cordless Vacuum Cleaner

Marc

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
We have a Black & decker one at the moment but it's not the most powerful. Can anyone recommend a decent alternative. The obvious brands are Dyson and Hoover but are there any others worth looking at?

TIA

This cordless one holds it'c charge right up until you bin it.

:exit:

I was cynical but ended up getting a Dyson V11 Absolute a while back and it's been excellent. It's even more powerful then my older cordless Dyson.

Main reason was for the quick grab and hoover after the children make a mess rather than pulling out cords etc. It's good for the car as well and the easy eject bucket is good. Battery lasts for a long time, especially when it's in auto mode which automatically varies the suction power depending on the surface type.

However, I got a 40% discount because of my sister-in-law so I think I paid around £360 (I got the free upright stand during a promotion). It would all normally cost £700 which is waaaaaaaaay too expensive.

I think Shark are quite well regarded and maybe worth a look, but I think they are perhaps overpriced as well.

In laws have a cordless shark and it's very good

I think Shark are quite well regarded and maybe worth a look, but I think they are perhaps overpriced as well.
We got a Shark a couple of months ago. It works extremely well and is much easier to use than our Henry, which is itself a very useful tool. Battery life is much better than we expected, also.

Not sure what the modern Sharks (and their cordless options) are like but my Grandparents had a corded one for at least 25 years with no problems.

We bought a shark.. it was awful. Had loads of dysons, all awful.
now have gtechs and have had very few issues. The one issue was solved very quickly with a new part being dispatched the next day for free.

One to aviod, due to misleading advertising Vax onepower the claimed 40-60 mins run time is very much exaggerated.
10-15 mins if you are lucky, I had read all the reviews, and mostly they all said the same.

However it does suit my purpose, light weigh and powerful for cleaning stairs etc. with the detachable wand, attractable tools..
Much easier than the corded Dyson Animal I also own, doing that and the car etc.

Also I can just about do the whole house on one charge, but no kids no pets

Last edited:
Marc, is this as the main vacuum cleaner or a small one to deal with little spills and similar?

We've got a little B&D dustbuster for when it's not a big enough meal for Henry.

Still got my Henry, it's indestructible and great for the big jobs. Had it since before the reduced power thing.

One to aviod, due to misleading advertising Vax onepower the claimed 40-60 mins run time is very much exaggerated.
10-15 mins if you are lucky, I had read all the reviews, and mostly they all said the same.

However it does suit my purpose, light weigh and powerful for cleaning stairs etc. with the detachable wand, attractable tools..
Much easier than the corded Dyson Animal I also own, doing that and the car etc.

Also I can just about do the whole house on one charge, but no kids no pets

My Vax lasts around 40 minutes and that's with the brush spinning.
I was sceptical at first but it's been really good and even better than the old corded Vax it was replacing.hair
I have a dog so hair can be a pain but does a really good job picking up.

We've had a Dyson V6 iirc for a few years, seems ok and no worse than the Miele corded job.

I had a Dyson. To be honest I think it was faulty from the start and I should have returned it. It barely lasted any time before it needed charging and would just stop, but a tap on the battery and it would give you another 30 seconds at a time. (Edit: This is a handheld - I have had an upright wired dyson and that was fine)

I have recently bought a G-Tech - both the handheld and upright and I am really happy with both.

The handheld one turns on and off as opposed to needing you to hold the button all the time. It seems much more powerful than my Dyson. The battery seems to last a long time and it has accessories that make it useful for doing the car, reaching for cobwebs etc. My only gripe so far is that when you wash the filter out, it takes a long time to dry. I might buy a second filter. Also I find it a tad fiddly to extract the bin part.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies, much to ponder.

Marc, is this as the main vacuum cleaner or a small one to deal with little spills and similar?

We've got a little B&D dustbuster for when it's not a big enough meal for Henry.

It's to be the main vacuum cleaner. The motor unit on the B&D detaches to use as a hand held but I suspect that may be why it's not so powerful.

I have the Dyson V6 Animal. I bought it about five years ago and it's brilliant. It's fantastic for picking up dog hairs as well as anything else.

It's also very lightweight - it has to be because I can't get out of my wheelchair to vacuum the carpet. It's great for cleaning the car and my old minibus too, but I have to pay my grandkids to do that. :rolleyes:

The original battery died after a couple of years, but I got a replacement higher capacity one from Evilbay and that's still going strong.

Note. I've lost count of the amount of people I've spoken to that have had similar and have ended up throwing them away. The reason? Because they didn't know they had to clean the dust filter regularly. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Did have a Bosch one. Pile off poo!!
Recently got the dyson v10. Refurb iirc off the eBay store so cost 330 I think a saving of 60. I say refurb but it was the same as the Fuji refurb stuff I have had in that it looked mint and brand new.

love the holder screws onto wall which charges it. Good suction and decent battery unless on turbo and this came with a wood floor tool too and various others. Would love a v11 but this is very good.

We have owned Dyson cordless, very good albeit expensive. Currently have a Bosch and a VAX Blade in the house. I take onboard Cobra's comments re the battery life of the VAX. Have to say our VAX Blade battery life seems OK, and it is a very good machine. A little 'top heavy' as most of them are because the motor/dust bin etc are all at the top of the handle.
I think cordless battery longevity claims are a bit like electric car mpg claims, only achieved under ideal conditions when the battery is new.

My Vax lasts around 40 minutes and that's with the brush spinning.
Well I have to say that I'm amazed.
Virtually all the Amazon feedback says 15-20 mins and that's roughly what I find it to be. Less on the "Turbo" setting.
The motor unit on the B&D detaches to use as a hand held
So does the Vax.
I see no difference in efficiency when doing that.

I take onboard Cobra's comments re the battery life of the VAX. ..... only achieved under ideal conditions when the battery is new.
This was from new, although I was going in with my eyes open so I wasn't disappointed :)

Last edited:
I've been thinking about getting a cordless one for ages and I'm thinking about it again today :D

One thing that puts me off is there's nowhere for the tools is there? I don't fancy having to carry the tools from room to room, what do you guys do?

Other than that... one of my sisters bought a no name you've heard of £60 from TJ Hughes and it seems fine so I haven't decided what to do... by a cheap Chinese one or a branded one.

Not really anywhere on Henry for tools either. Having said that, other than the crevice tool (fnar, fnar!), I'm not sure I've ever needed any of them!

Note. I've lost count of the amount of people I've spoken to that have had similar and have ended up throwing them away. The reason? Because they didn't know they had to clean the dust filter regularly. :facepalm:

I was told this as well, clean every month. A good rinse and by the morning it's dry. I'm guessing that when the filter is not cleaned it must be putting extra stress on the motor or something?

Reactions: Sky
I have the Dyson V6 Animal. I bought it about five years ago and it's brilliant. It's fantastic for picking up dog hairs as well as anything else.

It's also very lightweight - it has to be because I can't get out of my wheelchair to vacuum the carpet. It's great for cleaning the car and my old minibus too, but I have to pay my grandkids to do that. :rolleyes:

The original battery died after a couple of years, but I got a replacement higher capacity one from Evilbay and that's still going strong.

I have a V6 (bought it just when the V7 came out and Curry's were selling V6's at reduced prices). It performs well - not perfect, but good.

Dyson V11 ............... £600 in Curry's. Bloody outrageous price for a vacuum cleaner.

Reactions: Sky
Tried a few cheaper ones, then got a Dyson V8 animal.
Had it for a few years and it's been great.
Was also great for getting the dog hairs off the car seats....

Tried a few cheaper ones, then got a Dyson V8 animal.
Had it for a few years and it's been great.
Was also great for getting the dog hairs off the car seats....
Had a corded Dyson for years, which was the best vacuum I had owned. Much more powerful than others I had used.

Decided to get a cordless many years ago. Also got a Dyson V8, but got the Absolute model. Best decision I have ever made. Still got the corded Dyson, but it hasn't left the cupboard for over 5 years.

Hope you come back and give your review :D

It arrived at lunch time, the boss is very happy. So much more powerful than the B&D and it comes with a nice selection of tools. You can remove the main head and the flexible wand and use it as a hand vacuum with the tools.

All in all, very impressive. Still, she's only done the stairs and my office chair so far.

Still, she's only done the stairs and my office chair so far.
I think you need to have a word with Mrs F in that case

:coat:

"His reported last words were "Oi! You've missed a bi...""

Back