Coronavirus and film photography

Think you need to think closer to home with your comments.
christ its hard enough without sanctimonious policing from the general public, arm chair virologists and curtain twitchers.

Please go back to whatever thread this is being discussed in detail.

I've already nearly had an actual fist fight with some moron walking their dog while I try and get my 30 minutes peace from the general bedlam without that spilling into here.

ahem, guys

can I refer you to my earlier post #36

Any BS, take it to the OOF thread and argue it there, where my fellow moderators will be policing it, and handing out discipline for not keeping it civil

IF i come back into this thread after my shift at the NHS later today, and find anyone has been acting like a pillock, or outside the accepted norm for Film and Conventional, there'll be threadbans and points handed out.

NOW, if you'll forgive me, I'm going to work for the next 10 hours or so.

Usual plea's apply - if someone is a prat, RTM them, don't bite, and if needed stick them on ignore.

Think you need to think closer to home with your comments.

You've never posted in this section, You're just here to tell everyone how much better they are with out any consideration for their personal circumstances because what you are doing it the right way and everyone needs to know about it. Kindly find some where else to be.

Back on topic. Just been out for my Boris bimble (essential to keep my blood pressure and blood sugar levels down) and noticed that the sky was totally clear of condensation trails as often used to be the case in my youth. I did have my camera with me as always but this area does not have any wide open landscape vistas that might benefit from the lack of 21st century intrusion.

Back on topic. Just been out for my Boris bimble (essential to keep my blood pressure and blood sugar levels down) and noticed that the sky was totally clear of condensation trails as often used to be the case in my youth.
Post 9/11, when flights in the US were grounded for 3 days, there was significant improvement in upper atmosphere pollution, better astronomical visibility but increased light and UV at ground level, ISTR. So a side effect of CV is very likely to be reduced pollution, and maybe fewer deaths from that as a result (a small benefit to counter the terrible effects of CV)...

Post 9/11, when flights in the US were grounded for 3 days, there was significant improvement in upper atmosphere pollution, better astronomical visibility but increased light and UV at ground level, ISTR. So a side effect of CV is very likely to be reduced pollution, and maybe fewer deaths from that as a result (a small benefit to counter the terrible effects of CV)...

I read somewhere China's mortality will be better this year than normal due the improved air quality.

I wonder if it is worth me trying another roll of my film while stuck inside? Or I could try some outdoor photos, in the garden of course. But it is very bright sunshine outside, I have some ISO 400 Ilford HP5 left, I think four rolls. But it will probably be many months before I see the results, as I suppose all the labs have gone into shut down now.

But it will probably be many months before I see the results, as I suppose all the labs have gone into shut down now.

Not sure about all of them, but Peak Imaging have just announced on Facebook that they are shutting down all production for the time being.

COVID - 19 UPDATE

Following further Government guidance we now need to temporarily suspend all production, not only to protect our workforce but the population as a whole.

Thank you for your continued support and rest assured we will re-open as soon as we are able to do so.

Take Care

Canadian Film Lab are still operational and I have four rolls with them at the moment. The joys of a small Husband/Wife team, I guess. My scans will be ready by the 30th but, as usual, I won't be sharing because you know, they aren't good.

I have been shooting a roll or two around the house, trying to find interesting light as well as half a pack of Polaroid so far, but not holding out any hope for them. Indulging myself currently with many books. Joel Meyerowitz currently.

I've spaffed a roll in the back garden. I think FilmDev are home based so I'm hoping they're ok. Will get it sent it off today so hopefully it doesn't get stuck in limbo for months...

So while we're grounded by Boris I got my Bronica kit out to play with. When I bought it I thought it was the SQ-A body, metered finder, several backs, 50mm, 110mm 150mm and 250mm and I bought a separate 50mm as it was cheap. There were lots of rolls of film and accessories too but no 80mm.

Then I've been using the 110 today with one of the rolls of 220 ( FP4 exp 2005) and after I finished that I put the 50mm that came in the case on and noticed it wasn't a 50mm it was an 80mm. How observant am I? Still, lucky I bought that "other" 50mm.IMG_20200325_164024.jpg

glad to see we're back to "normality" in here...

short shift today (i.e. normal shift, not stupid extra hours - IT needed to bounce some of the servers to cope with additional resources they're throwing into external connectivity, so we were told to GTFU out of Dodge at normal hometime...) so back earlier than expected.

Must Admit, I do like the commute being "turn the chair to face the other end of the l-shaped desk and switch on a real computer" (gawd I hate laptop machines...)

So while we're grounded by Boris I got my Bronica kit out to play with. When I bought it I thought it was the SQ-A body, metered finder, several backs, 50mm, 110mm 150mm and 250mm and I bought a separate 50mm as it was cheap. There were lots of rolls of film and accessories too but no 80mm.

Then I've been using the 110 today with one of the rolls of 220 ( FP4 exp 2005) and after I finished that I put the 50mm that came in the case on and noticed it wasn't a 50mm it was an 80mm. How observant am I? Still, lucky I bought that "other" 50mm.View attachment 272934
It's probably just that I haven't really used anything but the 110/4 on it since I got it as that's the lens attached to it in the case. I just thought the smallest lens was the 50/3.5 and never had the opportunity to use the 150/4 or the 250/5.6.IMG_20200325_175415.jpg

Must Admit, I do like the commute being "turn the chair to face the other end of the l-shaped desk and switch on a real computer" (gawd I hate laptop machines...)

I miss my pedal more than I thought I would and its only been a bit over a week. There are advantages to having my pc monitor just behind my laptop, commute involves shutting the lid and firing up steam.

No-one's mention Emulsive's "65 photographic projects you can do when stuck at home" AFAICS. I've just re-read it, and you can ignore the large number, as a lot of them are things like tidy up and clean your gear, but there are certainly some ideas there. I'd really like to have a go at Cyanotypes or Lumen Prints, but the very idea would give SWMBO kittens!

No-one's mention Emulsive's "65 photographic projects you can do when stuck at home" AFAICS. I've just re-read it, and you can ignore the large number, as a lot of them are things like tidy up and clean your gear, but there are certainly some ideas there. I'd really like to have a go at Cyanotypes or Lumen Prints, but the very idea would give SWMBO kittens!

Cyanotypes are fun and not really very messy, although I think you have now missed the sunshine for this year :). The trick is finding the right paper.

Back on topic. Just been out for my Boris bimble (essential to keep my blood pressure and blood sugar levels down) and noticed that the sky was totally clear of condensation trails as often used to be the case in my youth. I did have my camera with me as always but this area does not have any wide open landscape vistas that might benefit from the lack of 21st century intrusion.
Have you seen how clear the sky is tonight? Not a single vapour trail in sight... absolutely beautiful. I'd imagine some interesting statistics on temperatures and climate change are to be had as a result of the air travel embargo. :whistle:

Damn, a plane has just appeared leaving a bloody great trail illuminated by the setting sun! So much for that back garden photo opportunity!

Last edited:
Have you seen how clear the sky is tonight? Not a single vapour trail in sight... absolutely beautiful. I'd imagine some interesting statistics on temperatures and climate change are to be had as a result of the air travel embargo. :whistle:

Damn, a plane has just appeared leaving a bloody great trail illuminated by the setting sun! So much for that back garden photo opportunity!

It's been like it all week. I even blogged about it the other day.

Mother nature is having a good old laugh at us photographers at the moment.

Mother nature is having a good old laugh at us photographers at the moment.

She's taking the opportunity to take some of the planet back that is "rightfully" hers.

Nature has an ability to "take over and reclaim" very quickly dependant on climate, location etc etc.

We may have an opportunity, depending how long we are "restrained", to obtain photographs of "outstanding natural beauty" ( normally unavailable) once we get back out togging.;)

I think I saw a video about pollution over China and how it changed drastically when they locked down. Then there's the extra time we spend with our families (which may or may not be a good thing). And a significant reduction in litter on my daily walk strangely.

I've been thinking about this post for a few days now and it hasn't affected me much at all. I never was much of a "go here and take this photo" person. It was always about grabbing what I could. As a full time worker & carer I get a precious 40 minute walk every day to clear my head. That hasn't changed. I still take my camera. For me it's always been about seeing the unusual in the ordinary, and walking the same route gives me plenty of opportunity to keep trying to present the things I love in a way that allows other people to feel that. I'm *still* trying.

So it hasn't really affected my (film) photography at all. Apart from Wild. I'm at a loss with that one this month.

So has anybody sent any rolls off to be developed in the past few weeks? I've got some that I've been meaning to send for a little while and now i'm sat round it would be nice to get them developed :LOL: I've also got 2 films in cameras that i'm shooting some stuff at home with which would be nice to have back before all these measures come to an end!

I got the email from AG saying my film had been received on Thursday last week. Not heard anything since. There was E6 in it though so that normally takes a few extra days.

I had 2 rolls back from filmdev on Monday (y)

4 rolls back from Canadian Film Lab of a portrait shoot I did on the 7th March.

Splendid, thanks guys! The past few times I've used filmdev and was thinking it would be them I sent them to :)

If things get so desperate, perhaps those of us who dev at home could offer to help those that don't by deving their film?

Unrealistic for me to help unfortunately with not living in the UK but it may be an idea if labs become non operational.

I got the email from AG saying my film had been received on Thursday last week. Not heard anything since. There was E6 in it though so that normally takes a few extra days.
Depending on what you asked them to do with the E6 slide film (scanning, mounting, etc.) it can take over a week, so I wouldn't worry yet.

Jeez Steve...you know how dangerous slide film is, I'm just glad it wasn't Velvia 50.:eek:

Back