*Cough*

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
1 Canon EF Fixed Focal Length Lens - 180mm f/3.5 L Macro USM 2005-06-13 Dispatched Yes [smilie=b:

OP
OP
CT

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
Yes but 'er indoors is threatening to fit me with earplugs! :LOL:

dod

Droopy
Staff member
Name
Ebenezer McScrooge III
Edit My Images
Yes
CT said:
Yes but 'er indoors is threatening to fit me with earplugs! :LOL:
Double bonus :LOL:

Congrats on the lens

OP
OP
CT

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
Postman's been! :D Great service again from 7dayshop - dispatched from Guernsey yesterday and postman was hanging on the bell at 10am this morning.

Initial impressions...

It's a superb metal built lens, as you'd expect for this much money, and it's quite heavy. It certainly feels like a quality lens. It has the usual switch for Manual/AF and another for selecting Macro or Normal (short tele) focusing. Autofocus is virtually silent and as smooth as butter but it is on the slow side, which was expected from the reviews I've read. IN AI Focus mode though once you have a lock-on it seems to hang on to it quickly and effortlessy.

The lens focusing is all accomplished internally so the length of the lens never changes unlike a lot of macros which is very nice. In Manual Focus Mode the big wide rubberised focusng collar is very smooth and the high gearing means the screen snaps very positively in and out of focus with quite moderate turns of the focusing collar which is important as no doubt Manual Focus will be the order of the day for most extreme macro shots.

I'm really pleased with it so far and looking forward to getting some shots with it but it's way too windy here today to go looking for bugs with a hand held macro lens! :crying:

It's really dull and overcast here today but I just got this quick shot at 400 ISO hand held. It's a jpeg and it's had no noise reduction or other processing except sharpening. The first shot shows the full original image and the second, which is a crop, represents 1:1 reproduction from that original.

Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
thats not fair, i have to go out hunting squirells!

OP
OP
CT

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
LOL I actually took this shot from the front room through the double glazing. There's three of 'em out there at the moment.

Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
i had to walk for a good 15 mins, then crawl on my belly up to the buggers! bloody townie me...

OP
OP
CT

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
EosD said:
bloody townie me...
Me too mate - I'm in the middle of concrete city and have to drive a long way in any direction to find nice landscapes. Fortunately we're right on the edge of a park which makes up for a lot. :wink:

OP
OP
CT

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
Availabe light shot - tripod mounted - remote release - no mirror lock-up. ISO 200

Aperture f8.

OP
OP
CT

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
Another nice thing I've just discovered is that the camera mounted 580EX provides full flash coverage at closest focusing distance with no lens shadow thrown on the subject, even with the len hood fitted, which is something I really didn't expect to be honest. Really convenient!

OP
OP
CT

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
IanC_UK said:
i bet your credit card company like you ! ;)
Well they wont do because they just offered me this card interest free for 6 months, and when the 6 months is up I'm choppig it up. :LOL: I'm making the most of it in the meantime though. :wink:

My stuff got delivered to my hotel today after being shipped yesterday ! a little quicker than expected as i dont arrive until friday !!!!!! LOL
No playin' with it then - you're on business!

IanC_UK

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ian Cook
Edit My Images
Yes
LOL Steve ! no not a mascot! well i hope not ! lol

Hopefully will get some good pics ! :) or images, photos, snaps whatever we are calling them nowadays ! lol

They do helicopter tours or whale watching cruises ! may see about one of them ! ;)

Oh and it took 5 years to get any of this ! lol have put up with a lot of s***e so i wouldnt say "all the luck" just having a little at the moment ! ;) LOL

S

Steve

IanC_UK said:
100-400, 17-40 and 3 batteries ! lol i couldnt stretch to that other item we were talking about !

I have a little left over and now need to decide if i need a tripod or flash more !!!! lol
Have you thought about how you are going to get all that home and especially through customs without paying all the duty?

IanC_UK

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ian Cook
Edit My Images
Yes
Steve said:
IanC_UK said:
100-400, 17-40 and 3 batteries ! lol i couldnt stretch to that other item we were talking about !

I have a little left over and now need to decide if i need a tripod or flash more !!!! lol
Have you thought about how you are going to get all that home and especially through customs without paying all the duty?
Yep :)

Tripod or flash will wait until i get back though ! not going to get them there ! Ill give meself a hernia with that lot !