Could be my first job, advice needed

Les Dawson was a superb piano player, his skit was to hit off-notes where he wanted and that takes a lot of skill.

Of course Willkia is exactly the same and youz all fallin' for it innit like,
unfortunately he had to walk home after his last shoot as the twokker in the red pufferjacket had nicked his scooby.

Allegedly.

Edit: apologies, : Twoccer. "consent" spelled with a C

Last edited:
So I have a 3 hour photography lesson next Sat, £85 for 3 hours.

Here are 2 pics I took today

f7764bb4-7bc7-400e-92e2-896c95847db3-original.jpg

f6599ab2-1853-43f5-b881-d980616f590c-original.jpg

But here is also a pic today I took which isn't in focus?

326939ab-a8ed-4470-b6f6-e5cb8e79220c-original.jpg

#1 and #3 doesnt work at all, everything is wrong with them even the horizon is tilted.

#2 is in my opinion not an intire worthless pic, actally I find it quite decent in that apart from the slight focus issue and the ball of light in the back of his head draws attention as does the the brigth color and especially the white furlike stuff of the jacket its not uninteresting. In that scenario you could have worked some on lighting of your subject and then trying different approaches to compositions

Last edited by a moderator:
Les Dawson was a superb piano player, his skit was to hit off-notes where he wanted and that takes a lot of skill.

Of course Willkia is exactly the same and youz all fallin' for it innit like,
unfortunately he had to walk home after his last shoot as the twokker in the red pufferjacket had nicked his scooby.

Allegedly.

Edit: apologies, : Twoccer. "consent" spelled with a C

Just so I'm clear in my own mind, do you think there is nothing about this thread to suggest anything other than a normal, reasonably bright beginner seeking advice?

I'm not getting the faux patois reference and that's throwing me perhaps.

Its out of focus.

Stop shooting ‘headshots’ till you’ve practiced.

Spend an evening shooting the table lamp, pictures on the wall, the telly, your feet, anything you can see.

It’s a piece of p*** (when you haven’t got the extra pressure of pleasing someone else, communicating with them etc), using your cameraproperly should become 2nd nature within days.

There’s a picture on the wall in my dining room...

I’ve got about 200 images of it, because it’s handy for testing stuff, and I’d been shooting 20 odd years when I bought that picture. I don’t shoot it cos I’m a learner!!

A racing driver doesn’t ‘practice’ racing, he practices driving, he doesn’t wait till he has someone to race, he hones his skills and learns how his car works. So then when he has to race, he doesn’t have to think about how his car works, he can concentrate on the racing, because the driving is 2nd nature.

Once you’ve learned to use your camera, you can take pictures for others.

You try to pretend you’re getting contradictory advice, but that’s b****x. You like to think you’re shooting ‘jobs’ cost makes you feel great. Practicing your photography on your mates when there’s no guarantee you’ll get them in focus isn’t a ‘job’ or a ‘gig’ or ‘headshots’, it’s not asession; it’s just you learning to use a camera with your mates as guinea pigs.
Really good advice. I only take photos of animals seriously everything else is just snapshots, saying that I would like to do it better. I have learnt a lot from this thread.

Back