Couple's big day is ‘ruined’ by an amateur photographer

The same person. The website she was showing at the time was this one. It's ad everything pulled if you don't want to waste time clicking. It also had lots of work 'borrowed' from others too
http://www.cjohnstonphotography.co.uk

Exactly... everyone's saying her work wasn't bad... well... that's because most of it wasn't hers.

http://c.johnston.photographyleeds.sqwiz.co.uk/en-GB/40514/home

The stuff on that one is terrible... and the stuff in her gallery is mostly appropriated without due copyright attribution... and also vastly different in quality from the stuff she obviously DID take... which is crap.

As I've said a few times now, her business site, which was taken offline two days ago, was decently presented, had at least 3 complete weddings and a blog referencing 10 done last year.

The site that you've referred to is immaterial.
I think that site is back up now, I'd post the link but it's on another device...

Edit - I think that might be the one Pookyhead just linked, not sure?

Last edited:
There was one 'typical' mistake the customer did make (hidden in both accounts).

Presenting the photographer with a long group shot list on the day, and the groom was disabled and unable to stand for long periods.

That really should have been discussed earlier, but Chloe should have taken one look at the list and declared 'that's 2 hours work, do you really want to spend 2hrs of your wedding day stood having pictures taken.

The poor photographer has swung between some minor errors and handling the consequences really abysmally.

As I've said a few times now, her business site, which was taken offline two days ago, was decently presented, had at least 3 complete weddings and a blog referencing 10 done last year.

The site that you've referred to is immaterial.

Immaterial? How so? Still her..... still her work.. and still full of images nicked off pinterest, and furthermore... still live... and I'm assuming with her consent and knowledge. How it immaterial?

There was one 'typical' mistake the customer did make (hidden in both accounts).

Presenting the photographer with a long group shot list on the day, and the groom was disabled and unable to stand for long periods.

That really should have been discussed earlier, but Chloe should have taken one look at the list and declared 'that's 2 hours work, do you really want to spend 2hrs of your wedding day stood having pictures taken.

The poor photographer has swung between some minor errors and handling the consequences really abysmally.

The couple claim they were unable to contact her till the night before? How can they have given her that into?

The couple claim they were unable to contact her till the night before?

That would have set alarm bells ringing with me by itself. But even so... they could have told her about the grooms difficulty in walking the night before then... surely.

The couple claim they were unable to contact her till the night before? How can they have given her that into?
But they gave it her 'on the day' and then complained about the number of pictures they had to stand about for. Not totally their fault, but they should see that they played a part.

But they gave it her 'on the day' and then complained about the number of pictures they had to stand about for. Not totally their fault, but they should see that they played a part.

I have to admit I can't see it. If they tried and failed to get hold of her they couldn't give her any instructions

Why is everyone still talking about this, especially a it has now descended into repeating previous posts and using different coloured text, oh forgot the name calling? She's a div, they're a pair of divs & none of us where there at the wedding so knows what the hell went on? Just a thought!!

Why is everyone still talking about this, especially a it has now descended into repeating previous posts and using different coloured text, oh forgot the name calling? She's a div, they're a pair of divs & none of us where there at the wedding so knows what the hell went on? Just a thought!!

And breathe.......:D

I hate it when people say this...

Really?

In each of the last 3 years I've booked a short wedding for £500 or thereabouts, it's not an 'alarm bells' price.

Not for a short wedding, no ... I used to charge £500 for Aob to FD until Andy convinced me to raise my prices a couple of years ago .. however my point (which i think some have missed) was that this wasn't a short wedding it was bridal prep to end of reception. So if most people in the area are charging twice as much for half as much coverage then it is an alarm bells price.

If we compare like for like shes charging £125 for the sort of thing you or I might charge £500 for , and £500 for the sort of comprehensive service where we'd both probably be north of a grand. This is what the people who keep saying "500 isn't alarmingly cheap" are missing

I'm also not saying that if you pay £500 you deserve to be ripped off - but if you pay £500 for a service where most people are charging two or three times as much, then complaining that you didnt get the same quality of service as people paying two or three times as much is a bit daft.

That said I would agree that this couple possibly didn't even get £500's worth (assuming the DM pictures are representative) though we can't properly judge that without seeing all 200 plus photos as the DM is pretty well bound to have picked the worst ones.

I'd also tend to suggest that neither party is doing themselves any favours washing their dirty laundry in public with facebook updates and such - either take it back to court for a defamation case or just leave it the hell alone ...

Not for a short wedding, no ... I used to charge £500 for Aob to FD until Andy convinced me to raise my prices a couple of years ago .. however my point (which i think some have missed) was that this wasn't a short wedding it was bridal prep to end of reception. So if most people in the area are charging twice as much for half as much coverage then it is an alarm bells price.

If we compare like for like shes charging £125 for the sort of thing you or I might charge £500 for , and £500 for the sort of comprehensive service where we'd both probably be north of a grand. This is what the people who keep saying "500 isn't alarmingly cheap" are missing

I'm also not saying that if you pay £500 you deserve to be ripped off - but if you pay £500 for a service where most people are charging two or three times as much, then complaining that you didnt get the same quality of service as people paying two or three times as much is a bit daft.

That said I would agree that this couple possibly didn't even get £500's worth (assuming the DM pictures are representative) though we can't properly judge that without seeing all 200 plus photos as the DM is pretty well bound to have picked the worst ones.

I'd also tend to suggest that neither party is doing themselves any favours washing their dirty laundry in public with facebook updates and such - either take it back to court for a defamation case or just leave it the hell alone ...

I'd be interested in hearing you address my points, point for point. The above again is just tosh, as I see it. Maybe do it in mono or some sort of black and white conversion, just in case BMG struggles with it.

I'd be interested in hearing you address my points, point for point. The above again is just tosh, as I see it. Maybe do it in mono or some sort of black and white conversion, just in case BMG struggles with it.

That was a reply to Phil - I'm not sure theres a lot of of point in going point by point through your posts as we clearly arent going to agree , but if it will make you happy (also how is it tosh to say that the wedding she shot was not a short wedding when it started with bridal prep and ened at the end of the reception.... your basic £500 short wedding starts with arival of the bride and ends with first dance in my experience)

That was a reply to Phil - I'm not sure theres a lot of of point in going point by point through your posts as we clearly arent going to agree , but if it will make you happy (also how is it tosh to say that the wedding she shot was not a short wedding when it started with bridal prep and ened at the end of the reception.... your basic £500 short wedding starts with arival of the bride and ends with first dance in my experience)

I spent some time addressing your last post to me. Please do the same and reply to my post, point for point.

I have to admit I can't see it. If they tried and failed to get hold of her they couldn't give her any instructions
The grooms post definitely said they handed over a long list of group shots.

Try a search for 'cheap wedding photographer Leeds' you might just be surprised.

The quality- variable, but there's plenty of all day coverage for less than £600, in fact you can pay £50 by the hour if you want to be specific,

If they researched and discovered most were charging £1k but this person was charging £500 for similar quality then I fail to see why they should be alarmed. They were shown proof of her ability via her website. In my industry prices vary a hell of a lot more than 100%. They were assured she could provide what they wanted for a very reasonable price but the assurances were based upon fraudulent proof, images which were not her's. Anyone could have fallen for that one, especially in the middle of planning something like a wedding.

If they researched and found that the going rate was £1k for Prep to first dance , but this person was charging £500 for prep to end of reception (ie nearly twice as much coverage) then I'd say that was reason to be alarmed - of course she conned them thats not in dispute - my point was the gullibility in believing her.

In the heat of the moment, planning an emotional wedding and not being professional wedding planners, a water mark is easily missed.

I guess we should agree to differ on that point

The quote of £500 was half the price you suggest to be the norm in your post below. That's not "insanely" low, it's a 50% discount.

I'd say 50% discount is worryingly low - but in fact its more like 75% because you arent comparing like for like - see the point above

If the photographer could not and did not confirm her availability, how come she took payment and provided the couple with payment details so they could pay in the first place? Surely you only take the payment once you've confirmed and if she wasn't available that day then why on earth would she be pitching for the assignment in the first place?

So why dd the DM report that she only confirmed she was attending the day before the wedding - by your logic she'd confirmed that when she took the money

No, she didn't persuade "them". She persuaded the bride and one other family member to go. The groom was too disabled to go so he waited for them for half an hour at the venue.

And the bride was incapable of saying "no i don't want to do that " because ?

That's tosh and you know it. How on earth are they supposed to know what to expect for £500? I'll bet you 20 bucks and my left nut that if you go ask 100 people in the high street in Leeds how much they think they'd be expected to pay for a wedding photographer for the day, most wouldn't have a clue and in many areas £500 would be considered on the high side.

Refer back to my point about 5 minutes with google - if you don't do even that much research for the alledgedly most important day of your life then you are either very silly, hopelessly naive, or don't care about your photography

No they didn't and here's where you clearly show you have an agenda. They were given a single screenshot with tiny composite images. I often look at the images on the screen on my X-T1 and think: "WOW! That looks a cracker!!" Then I port it onto my Mac and the ruddy thing is about as bad as it gets! They effectively said the thumbnails provided looked great. They probably did! That doesn't mean the final images were in any way great and from the evidence provided it's clear they weren't!

I'm not sure what agenda you think I have - we've clearly read different reports

No, they saw the full size images and like I do very often, realised they were useless.

Ditto

Again, no. I didn't read that the counter case was successful at all and seemed utterly groundless to me.

again ditto - in her facebook statement she says that it was succesful... I suppose she could be lying again but there's a lot of info we don't have
End of the day if they are telling the truth then she is guilty of misrepresntation , but they are also guilty of being daft to the point of stupidity in not researching what they were buying, and accepting dubious bonfides at face value without thinking about whether the deal was too good to be true.

They've already been found to have been telling the truth. That's what judges are for and frankly, she's guilty of a whole lot more than misrepresentation and lucky to get away with just re-imbursement as far as I'm concerned.

Have they ? they won their Money claim aka small claims case - which was essentially that they hadnt received the service for which they paid and thus were entitled to a refund. But their statements since (and the implied statements in the DM havent been tested in court) - of course that go's equally for the togs statements , which is why i said the only way this will be fully tested is if it goes back to court for a defamation hearing (also are you privy to info the judge didn't have on what shes guilty of )

No, sometimes people are simply too trusting. The fact that they can't be is not an indictment of them but of the society we now live in, which includes those who try to support the perpetrators instead of the victims.

and the difference between being too trusting and being daft is ? (semantic) , also you need to improve your reading comprehension, I'm not supporting the perpetrator at all, ive said over and over again that the misrepresentation is indefensible , but like it or not there are a lot of frauds and charlatans out there, and people need to take some responsibility for not being taken in by them
No, apparently not; not even the decision to rip someone off and by your rhetoric you heartily support them.

Not at all - as above if they/ the DM etc are telling the truth about her, then her position/behavior is indefensible, but the couple concerned have also not covered themselves in glory by being too trusting/ naive whatever... also I'd tend to suggest that trial by media isn't exactly fair as the DM etc have not given a fair and balanced representation of both sides

And I realise you disagree and thats fine everything i've written is my opinion not fact - but i suggest we park it there as i don't have the patience for another long multiquote session ;)

If they researched and found that the going rate was £1k for Prep to first dance , but this person was charging £500 for prep to end of reception (ie nearly twice as much coverage) then I'd say that was reason to be alarmed - of course she conned them thats not in dispute - my point was the gullibility in believing her.

... ;)
I don't know where you got that from, the article said 9hrs, and the groom says from 11.00am, that's a struggle for first dance in my view, but it's semantics anyway, stop concentrating on the 'average' there's loads of photographers charging what she charges in Yorkshire. And some of them are half decent too.

As I said, Google cheap wedding photographers round here.

Try a search for 'cheap wedding photographer Leeds' you might just be surprised.

The quality- variable, but there's plenty of all day coverage for less than £600, in fact you can pay £50 by the hour if you want to be specific,

oh no doubt - i'm sure without much effort we could find some numpty who'll do prep to end of reception for 50 quid and a date with the bridesmaid , and throw in a free album if shes good looking :LOL:

However my point was that for the "biggest day of my life" I wouldn't be searching for "cheap" - this is the problem with knowing the price of everything but the value of nothing. If i could really only afford £500 for wedding photography I'd rather hire someone like you for a shorter period and rely on guest shots for the evening do than hire someone who promises the moon on a stick for tuppence ha'ppney

I don't know where you got that from, the article said 9hrs, and the groom says from 11.00am, that's a struggle for first dance in my view, .

I got that from the fact that one main complaint was that they only got 15 shots of the evening reception... if she was only hired to first dance you wouldn't expect any shots of the evening reception, which generally comes after first dance ... this is the trouble with trial by media... everyone is reading different things and reading different things into it

ETA the grooms statement says they paid for evening reception coverage

Last edited:
No offence taken.
I simply don't see the point in the whole spendfest which generally constitutes a wedding.
There are way bigger priorities.
Viv. I totally agree with you. I don't believe in throwing money at a wedding... but without people spending such high amounts on their weddings I would not have a job.

oh no doubt - i'm sure without much effort we could find some numpty who'll do prep to end of reception for 50 quid and a date with the bridesmaid , and throw in a free album if shes good looking :LOL:

However my point was that for the "biggest day of my life" I wouldn't be searching for "cheap" - this is the problem with knowing the price of everything but the value of nothing. If i could really only afford £500 for wedding photography I'd rather hire someone like you for a shorter period and rely on guest shots for the evening do than hire someone who promises the moon on a stick for tuppence ha'ppney
But plenty of people do search for cheap. And with the greatest of respect to our hapless couple, they don't appear to have either your intellect or your knowledge of wedding photographers.

Though they've clearly had some guidance since the wedding.

As you said earlier, they could almost certainly have got a really good photographer for the cost of the photographer and photo booth.

But plenty of people do search for cheap. .

indeed they do , and my point was that if you search for cheap on "the biggest day of your life" then you have some responsibility when it blows up in your face.... especially if you could have afforded not so cheap by making other choices

That's not to take blame away from the tog, although i can't decide whether shes been a deliberate con artist on the make , or just a silly little girl (did i read somewhere that shes only 18-19 ? ) who's made a lot of errors and handled the fall out really badly. The stolen images point to the former but a lot of the other info points to the latter

it certainly is a tour de force in what not to do - and one to file to point out to the next numpty who turns up in talk biz saying "i've just bought a 700D and kit lens, and i'm going to be a wedding photographer :LOL:

Last edited:

I already mentioned this but it got ignored as it didn't fit the story he's trying to sell ;-)

My daughter (Manchester) found this, the North and South divide affects the pricing.
She paid £400 and got stitched up. But the guy has testimonials from satisfied customers (they obviously like 45 degree shots which I personally hate).
Mind you he farms bookings out to 4 other togs on his books so the happy customers may not have had him as the tog.

I already mentioned this but it got ignored as it didn't fit the story he's trying to sell ;-)

Nah - I just ignored it because as i said to Phil if they are searching for "cheap" anything on the biggest day of your life , then by definition you aren't valuing that thing - which kind of tracks with my point.

Also I'm not trying to sell any particular story, so i'm not understanding the hostility here - I have an opinion, you have an opinion - they are different , doesn't mean that either one of us is wrong, or has a hidden agenda or all that jazz

In the interests of accuracy it was a D7000
I did think the criticism of the camera was a bit harsh (though it does sound like her lens choice limited things somewhat!), the D7000 is capable of doing a decent job* :)

* if she knew how to use it.

Really ?

So when you hire a contractor you havent used before you don't check refferences, qualifications, certificates, insurance etc.. you just take them at their word ? ! , or when you buy a new product you don't check it out, do your research, compare prices with competing offers ? you just believe whatever the seller tells you... really ??? in that case let me tell you about these magic beans I have for sale....

I'm not defending anyone who misrepresents themselves or their product, but there is some onus on the buyer to think about what they are buying , who from, and why the price seems so good .
Yes, really.

There is no "onus on the buyer" to be wary of misrepresentation. If I find some amazing deal that turns out to be a "bait and switch" I am not at fault. Even if I were to buy your magic beans; I might get laughed at a bit, but you would be found culpable/liable.

if they are searching for "cheap" anything on the biggest day of your life , then by definition you aren't valuing that thing

Or it just means they have a budget?

You could easily blow £100K plus on a wedding and some people have different priorities.

Yes, really.

There is no "onus on the buyer" to be wary of misrepresentation. If I find some amazing deal that turns out to be a "bait and switch" I am not at fault. Even if I were to buy your magic beans; I might get laughed at a bit, but you would be found culpable/liable.

There's certainly no legal culpability for the buyer , but do you really not think that people should do some research before making buying choices ? do you take no care whatsoever not to get ripped off and believe everything you are told by a vendor ?

Certainly in a business environment an employer would expect that his employees would do some research before parting with the companies money, and indeed in that circumstance the customer company can have some liability for the failure of the equipment or service they've procured

For example if I hire a tree surgeon and he f***s the job up and drops a tree on a visitor and kills them , if it then turns out that he has no tree surgery qualifications , then I and my employer are going to be liable for negligence and it won't be a defence to say "oh he said he had them and we believed him" , which is why if i hire a contractor I don't take everything they tell me at face value and want references , and copies of qualifications and insurance certificates and so forth.

Or it just means they have a budget?

You could easily blow £100K plus on a wedding and some people have different priorities.

Sure but even within a budget you want someone who's good at the job - as i said earlier if i had £500 to spend on wedding photography, I'd rather have an established pro cover a shorter period than have some numpty cover the whole thing , and I still wouldn't be searching for "cheap"

also if you only have a limited budget for wedding photography , if you value your shots highly why would you split the budget and hire a photobooth as well ?

I did think the criticism of the camera was a bit harsh (though it does sound like her lens choice limited things somewhat!), the D7000 is capable of doing a decent job* :)

* if she knew how to use it.

Absolutely Jim.

I had exactly that combo before going FX.

A little thought and a D700 for fill and she'd have been good to go.

Apart from Narrow DOF shots and nice bokeh that is.

Back