Critique on a seascape

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
What do people think of this one, I'm not sold on the retouching and I'm open to opinions on the composition.DSCF6986.jpeg

I think it’s got potential. Maybe go back to the scene with some nicer light illuminating the rocks, but if a sunset in the background!

jpeg compression can seriously impact apparent sharpness so wouldn't worry too much

for me the image lacks contrast contrast on the right and detail in the black on the left, a tricky balancing job to get right. Pretty flat lighting isn't helping either. I'm no expert but the dynamic range on this may be what's giving you problems. Suggest using control points to break the image into composite parts and address each one separately in LR or nik efex if you have it

The picture, as is, doesn't do a great deal for me David. I appreciate that the composition is technically good. The shadows on the cliff on the left are not only very deep and my eyes are searching for detail within them but also find it unnatural with the exposure gradient presumably caused by a ND grad: of course I appreciate that the exposure is difficult! Personally the bit I find most compelling is the rocky outcrop surrounded by sea mist, it'd be a very different picture but do you have any zoomed in on that?

I'm not on board with this. The bottom rock doesn't do much other than taking up space so you should consider cropping it out. Top rock is nearly black. I presume this was to do with a very heavy grad filter. If it's physical one (bad idea) there is not much you can do. With a software one you can and should look into masking, or do away with it altogether and use other means to control exposure. Finally it is really begging for some light on these rocks to add some golden accents and reveal that texture. I am afraid it is coming back and try it again for this one.

Cheers guys, this is good, actionable feedback

If I'd had something longer than 23 with me I would tried something with compression, this was shot at 16 and I think it might have been better at 23 or 35 trying to use the rocks to frame and the stream to lead the eye to the island.

The light was flat and uninspiring so I'm planning on going back and repeating on a nicer evening, I need to improve my meteorology/planning skills I think!

Yeah I'm getting my head back around new lightroom and have just discovered masking for ND grads and I think that might help. I think you're right on the lack of contrast, I might try adding some and re editing.

Back