Critique Welcomed

Name
Allan
Edit My Images
Yes
IMG_1110-Edit-Edit by Allan Potts, on Flickr

IMG_1801 by Allan Potts, on Flickr

Hi Everyone, I have been shooting sports for years but now my daughter is growing up the wife is pushing me to get her some shots. So I am a bit like a fish out of water so any and all feedback would be great. What, if anything, I am doing right and more importantly what I need to work on. Thanks for looking and Thank you in advance for any feedback. Allan

Would you care to explain how you lit them.. I think I'm seeing bare flash above and maybe a reflector below?

But it's the England flag effect that makes me think window/s

I find #1 most intriguing as it's pp'd effect is of a pencil drawing. I like it and it had character whether that was intentional only you can tell me. If not then maybe clarity slider was pushed too far.

#2 pose and eye contact is very good but think it lacks a little in interest. Maybe thats the black background.

Hi Bryn Thank you so much for the comments. They were both lit by two soft boxes from the front ( Butterfly ) 2 also had a grid hairlight. The effect was intentional and wa a mixture of Lightroom sliders and On1 Software. I liked the effect and wanted it that way as its going on a canvas for my missus :) Thamks so much for taking the time to comment as I said any help at all is really appreciated

No crit from me. The most important part is you have captured some really great engagement with the camera/viewer you can not fail to like these. Post work is down to your own tastes.

Gaz

As above no crit from me either as still learning but I do like the crop and the processing processing on the first one.

Two lovely portraits your good lady will be over the moon with them I'm sure :)

Both very nice. You got what you set out to do. From a photographers perspective I like the first one better. The 2nd doesn't work so well because happy pics and black just don't work so well for me at least. The more somber look and dark background works really well in the first.

Very nice indeed. The only thing I can think would improve these, as you asked for critique, is a slight turn of her head towards you so that you have some/more whites of the eyes either side of the pupils. That's being picky, and probably something only a photographer would notice, and I've had the same comment on some of my shots.

That first image is absolutely stunning the 2nd is also nice, I would be over the moon with them images.

Both great but the pp in the first isn't for me. Both nicely lit and well capture though.

Far too much pp in the first (it's killed it completely for me) the second looks a lot more natural.

To much pp work on the first. Go easy on the colours, remember this is your little girl, do you really want her to look like shes wearing red lipstick and I think you've slightly increased the size of the eyes and certainly brightened the whites too much. There is however a great image in there, would really work in B&W as well. I think the pose and lighting works well and could be the better of the two images.

Second again is more natural, and again I think would work really well in B&W

Thank you to everyone who has replied to this. To all the positive comments cheers and thanks very much. To all the others again thank you for your honesty that is precisely why I put it up to learn. And of course thank you everyone for taking the time to view and comment it really is appreciated. I realised the PP would be to taste so I am not suprised we have differing feelings on it. The eye shape and size got me a little I have not altered the shape or size in either shot but in 1 I did play with lightroom in contrast,brightening and saturation. In 2 the only alteration to her eyes will have been with global contrast sharpening and a pinch of clarity but as stated thats global to the image and not just the eyes. And thank you for the comments on white either side of the eye from posing will remember that as well as take on board all comments. THANK YOU ALL Very Much!
Just a quick edit the first was shot with the 70-200 F2.8 L and the second with my 135mm F2 L don't know really if that would make any difference to eye shape?

Last edited:

I still prefer 1110!
…though 1801 is also better in the SOOC version

The out of camera shots look lovely. No need to tinker at all.

The out of camera shots look lovely. No need to tinker at all.
Paul you have hit on something I have been fighting with for an awful long time. I have spent so much time over the past 6 years learning Lightroom and PS and I work so hard to make my shots better but a lot of the times I do find myself looking back at the SOOC shots and thinking have I made them better or just different? Thanks again for your time everyone lots to think about I think. Which is wonderful and precisely why I put them up :)

Back