cw318is's Photo 52 only 7 shots to go!

Hiya Caleb,

Lots of twisted hoses there, so right on theme (y)

Well done on the processing too, especially the blending.

IMO, and as much as I like borders, I think this photo would have benefited from just a plain black border, my thinking behind this is that it is a very busy photo with lots of different lines in all directions and for me the thin white inner border is too ridged for the shot.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Got to love the engineering!

Can't decide whether cropping the RH side would help or not.

You did really well to get the red nozzle on the upper left 1/3..(y)

Cheers.

Thanks for the crit everyone, I really like this image, probably my favourite so far, and spent ages getting it "right" to me, but some very good points raised;

a clear image that is almost clear of the distracting background.

I thought the background actually made this image, the oof TSR2 I think looks brilliant and add depth, but I can see how the the bokeh lights on the right and the OOF Harvard above are a bit distracting.

IMO, and as much as I like borders, I think this photo would have benefited from just a plain black border, my thinking behind this is that it is a very busy photo with lots of different lines in all directions and for me the thin white inner border is too ridged for the shot.

First edit was just a plain black border, but I didn't like the way the shot was a bit undefined. With the vinette it kindof faded into the border, so added the white to close the image if that makes sense?

Can't decide whether cropping the RH side would help or not.

You did really well to get the red nozzle on the upper left 1/3..(y)
Yeah that wasn't an accident :LOL: The first attempt at processing this shot was a square crop with all of the rh side cropped out, but to me it just looked too flat so I left it in to accentuate the curved profile and add a bit of depth.

Right, off to catch up on everyone elses '52 as its been a while. Keep up the good work people.

HI Caleb

love the Twisted shot , spot on the theme & the colors add to the industrial type feel to me (y)

great addition to your 52 mate!

It's like something from a castrol advert... colours are spot on!

Mark

Thanks everyone for comments on my Concorde shot. I think so far its my favourite image from my 52, even though it was the simplest to take and the processing wasn't that hard either.

And onto Week 22 - Hidden. I had a shot planned however when I went to take a shot of my subject I found it had been moved somewhere else! I now know where it is so that particular shot will feature if another reshoot card gets pulled. As I know I have a frantic week and don't want to fall behind I will enter this shot taken on Sunday which I think fits the theme nicely :)

Week 22 - Hidden by cw318is, on Flickr

Hidden prey. I have no idea what this kestrel could see but it was hidden from me by the long grass, and I just loved the way he went from the hover to a dramatic stoop to attack it.

Unfortunately nothing is in focus :eek:

The grass is! I was kindof taken by surprise when he stooped, the shots I got of him in the hover the focus is spot on. Still, I think it looks kindof cool in a dodgy justification kindof way.

Amazing capture. I've never tried this type of photography, but must be extremely difficult to get the focus. The kestrel really stands out against the light grass. Great idea for "hidden"

Hi Caleb,
Just a quick one to say that the hidden is a real nice pic and you're so lucky to catch one like that.

Hiya Caleb,

Well done on the photo for this week that fits the theme perfect. You did good to get the shot, it is more than I would have managed.

Cheers

Thanks everyone. We're quite lucky here as East Anglia is definate Kes country. Briony has her kites, we have kestrels absolutely everywhere it fantastic. I will get one in the stoop sharp one day, unfortunately its one of the very few areas the 20D is showing its age versus the new AF system like in the 7D. Gradually I'm starting to learn the signs of when they are going to fold the wings in and drop but its very hard to foresee and respond in time. Might just bite the bullet and go high iso small aperture and prefocus on an area in hope.

Agreed. Good shot, shame about the focus. You are probably right about banging up the ISO from 200 to 400, maybe even 800 and closing down the appeture to f8, and pre focusing. Should be a bit more fogiving. F5.6 is a little too open, and if you were on auto focusing, the camera is a little too slow for such a fast bird!!!! :)

Although, I have never shot such creatures in flight, so I'm probably talking b#*ll*x!

Adie

Hi Caleb

Considering you got the shot when taken by surprise with it's speed I'd say it is just great .The background blur , the slight lack of focus on the bird & the in focus grass where it's prey is Hidden are bang on theme for me . Like it (y)

Thankyou everyone for the comments on my kestrel shot, sorry if I haven't yet posted on your 52 but I will soon. I generally look at everyones though just don't seem to have the time to comment on everyones images but there is some great ideas and fantastic shots coming out.

And now I'm going to enter this shot that I think everyone will hate!

Week 23 - Broken by cw318is, on Flickr

Colour popping, bad focus, blown highlights, its got it all and its all deliberate! Decided to do something very different for this one. I knew exactly what I wanted the subject to be the day it was announced as I knew the following day I would be at Old Warden. So, why use it for broken I hear you ask..........

For those that don't know it's the original Grosvenor House - a De Havilland Comet racer designed and built for the 1934 Macrobertson Air Race from England to Australia. It won with a time of 71 hours and 18 seconds which to this day remains unbroken. After that race she went on set another record of London to Cape Town in 45hours 6 minutes ensuring that the previous record was broken by 11 hours 9 seconds. The last record set was out and back London-Sydney-New Zealand-London in 140 hours 12 minutes. By the time she arrived in London, Europe as everyone knew it was then broken with what was happening on the continent. She was flown in the 1980's but then had a mishap and was broken. Repaired and rebuilt she'll probably never fly again, like an angel with a broken wing.

So in short, I think it suits the theme because I'm a bit geeky at times but can justify anything. Thanks for looking!

I like this very much. I love the angle of the shot. I particularly like it just because you knew what you wanted and went out and captured it rather than setup a shot. The PP works great too. 

Your rationale is impeccable (y)

Although I agree that I would have liked some part of your broken angel in focus ;)

You have chosen a good image to use colour so selectively as there is nothing in the image I want to see other than your subject.

The blown areas are...tolerable :nuts:

Overall, an image that covers the theme rather well - no, I don't hate it at all :love:

I like it... but I find it hard to look at if that makes any sense... It's almost like its shimering! My eye doesnt quite settle on the image!

I agree with your explination it fits the theme... I'm just not sure a photo taken for a theme should need an explanation? Or is that just me?

Great pic whatever though... Good Work

I'm off to specsavers now to order anti shimmer glasses!

Thanks everyone, I was convinced that this would be one of those shots nobody likes so am very happy to be proved wrong.

I would have liked some part of your broken angel in focus.............

The area I wanted in focus (top of the rudder and race number) is pin sharp - as for the rest well it is 30' long and I was at 17mm focusing less then 50cm away, f2.8.

I like it... but I find it hard to look at if that makes any sense... It's almost like its shimering! My eye doesnt quite settle on the image!

Kindof get where you are coming from, because of all the reflections I could only think of this style to get a pic in line with what I had in mind. I could have possibly used a bit of softened fill flash on the tail maybe. Failing that I suppose a CPL filter would of helped? I don't know.

Hi Caleb

I too love this shot :clap:

The coloriing works really well , it does indeed seem to shimmer , the focus & angle suit it perfectly & love the reasoning behind the shot .Sometimes a picture needs to make you think about the link to the theme(y)

Hiya Caleb,

Me not knowing much about aircraft I wouldn't have known how this fit with the theme, so thank you for the informative write-up to accompany the photo.

I think you have done really well with the shot, it is very effective and I love the vibrant red of the craft set against the mono background.

Well done

Cheers

Hmmm maybe I need to invest in an anti shimmering filter for the future!

Its a very glossy finish on the ceconite (the covering) and the industrial overhead lighting really didn't help! I'm open to ideas and suggestions, I was thinking a bit of fill flash to balance everything - dunno enough about off camera flash to know if would work :shrug:

OOOhhh, shiny plane!!

I like your composition, really draws the eye in.

What's that on the floor below the left engine? Or is it on the floor or part of the engine?

Gaussian blur added??

Repaired and rebuilt she'll probably never fly again, like an angel with a broken wing.

How sad....

yep its good i like it ! very diffrent which makes it cool ,the idea is very good too (y)(y)

well, after a very very long delay I've actually managed to take a couple of photos to resume my somewhat stalled 52!

First up, one of the hilarious quirks of Impreza ownership is having to explain what this switch does;

Week 24 - Bright by cw318is, on Flickr

Week 25 - Rescue by cw318is, on Flickr

A very welcome sight to anyone who needs to be rescued. Dedicated to the hard working men and women of 22 and 202 Squadron. The sea shall not have them.

Last edited:
Back