cyclists

Now if you are cycling to lose weight, you need to run you heart rate at a specific speed for best results, so a heart rate monitor by someone like Polar ( they are ECG acurate)
For most people this is around 130-135BPM for fat burning.. If you are one of the ten percent that have a heart that runs slower by a few bpm it could be 140BPM..

Your max heart rate is calculated at: 220 minus your age...

Save the dosh and count the beats at the carotid artery for 6 or 10 secs and multiply ;)

Save the dosh and count the beats at the carotid artery for 6 or 10 secs and multiply ;)

lol they did teach us how to take a pulse at incident management but then told us if you have time to take a pulse they're probably fine - check breathing bleeding and maybe damage then move on :p

Your pulse is a valuable indicator for training and staying within your limits. It's quick and easy to find at the carotid artery (your neck), when you're exerting. Don't worry if your resting rate drops below 40bpm :D

Rob, Lightspeeds are nice, but now the family that used to own them Lynskey have their own company again and they are fantastic looking frames... I miss the Ti stems that they used to do and the Ibis frames and stems of the old days were stunningly beautiful.. I always had Flite Ti saddles or the Transalp version...

We (I use the word loosely - t'were Russel Burton that brought it over, me, Jo Burt and Seb Rogers got to play on it as well though) trialled an Ibis FS frame once with the lightest components we could find - too light: it skittered all over the trail - totally unrideable - we had to add heavy stuff to make it work properly...

With respect to my honorable colleague, the changes chances of young David training at that level on his clunker are minimal.

Yours truly,

Pedals McWheezily, BLRC Spelling Adviser, Retd.

Last edited:
We (I use the word loosely - t'were Russel Burton that brought it over, me, Jo Burt and Seb Rogers got to play on it as well though) trialled an Ibis FS frame once with the lightest components we could find - too light: it skittered all over the trail - totally unrideable - we had to add heavy stuff to make it work properly...

Wasn't that the one that was given the moniker "Spastic Bambi"?

If anyone in my neck of the woods wants bike repairs, give me a shout

Actually enjoy messing with bikes especially things like getting the gears shifting properly

I have a good selection of bike specific tools and a workstand, can do most tasks except facing frames for disc brakes and hollow bottom brackets (tools are too pricey for the very limited use I would have for them
Also use a torque wrench, hate seeing expensive parts ruined by overtightening, although I enjoy unsticking seatposts that have been left grease free for years, very satisfying when it goes with a crack then eases out.

No time to ride these days with all the fettling going on

Cheers
Rich

With respect to my honorable colleague, the changes chances of young David training at that level on his clunker are minimal.

Yours truly,

Pedals McWheezily, BLRC Spelling Adviser, Retd.

I never set out to do anything serious, I bought a proflex full sus, because I really fancied one, became hooked as I did with photography...

Thanks for the spelling advisory bit.. FFS how did I make that error... hangs head in shame.... :bonk::bang::bang::bang:

I felt the same when I first started cycling to work about 7 years ago(4 ish miles) give it a week and you will see a big difference.

Iv not read the rest of the thread as of yet but agree with Foggy!

Although im now on my 3rd week and am doing 4miles each way, the last couple of days have been by far the worst and got steadily worse.. iv rested from it for 2 days now, back in the saddle tomorrow at 5am! lol.. hope it goes well..

Good luck and keep it up, it WILL get easier.. (y)

All this talk of cycling reminds me I haven't been for a ride this week, will have to remedy that with a 2hour ride over the weekend.
Cadence is what you want, spin at the same rate and use the gears to maintain it. And yes it helps to overspin, you look a bit silly with the legs going round at speed but it will help.
Other than that go for clipless pedals, but remember to release at junctions or get very good at balancing a stationary bike.

Wasn't that the one that was given the moniker "Spastic Bambi"?

My memory fails me on that, but once we chucked a load of heavier mid-range Shimano stuff on, it worked a treat...

First thing, If you have the WRONG bike for a road it will be really hard work. What bike do you ride may I ask? I find things like using a lateral thigh trainer or stepper and a dross trainer helps to build up muscle, i even make a habit of climbing 2 steps at a time. I used to be really into my bikes, and it taught me like anything the right tool for the right job.

aye I learnt right tool for the job from photography where kit really counts, looking at throwing some of next months or the month afters pay check at a cheapish tourer

Your pulse is a valuable indicator for training and staying within your limits. It's quick and easy to find at the carotid artery (your neck), when you're exerting. Don't worry if your resting rate drops below 40bpm :D

Sorry to disagree but its of little real use as your heart rate is affected by too many other variables, for example how tired you are, caffeine, dehydration, stress etc.
(A powermeter is a much better indicator)

RE Halfords The Boardman bikes are nice but don't buy any of the cheaper stuff, you have been warned....(And get a proper bike mechanic to look over it if you do buy one)

Last edited:
Sorry to disagree but its of little real use as your heart rate is affected by too many other variables, for example how tired you are, caffeine, dehydration, stress etc.
(A powermeter is a much better indicator)

RE Halfords The Boardman bikes are nice but don't buy any of the cheaper stuff, you have been warned....(And get a proper bike mechanic to look over it if you do buy one)

if I buy I'd look secondhand in the hope of finding an older better bike for the money of a new cheapy one, know a good chap in town

Have a look on Ebay too.. You could start with a frame and build your own custom kit..

Personally I would never buy a Boardman, so many better frames out there for the money.. A local bike shop will probably do you a better deal too.. All you will say on a Boardman is.. I went to Halfords.. They get good reviews, but not that nice to look at, even my non scycling other half agreed when I went for a proper look at one...

When I was fit my heart rate was 34-36 while watching TV and drinking a cuppa. To get your proper resting rate you do it before you move in bed.. mine was down at 24BPM before I got up in the morning.

GT.
Trek.
Marin.
Cannondale.
Specialized.
Lapierre.

Are all great bike brands that have been around for years in the MTB world.

Road bikes are also made by most of these. Though Boardman was a road rider his company makes MTB??

Bianchi and others have a great name in road bikes, some do a good job of making both..

If going MTB this would be a good starting point.. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/trail-sl-6-2010-mountain-bike-ec020209

If money is no object..

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/rz-one40-carbon-2-2010-mountain-bike-ec020304

The biggest problem i found when i haven't been on the bike for ages is a sore arse, my legs are normally fine, years ago i did about 250-300 miles a week, not competitively just with groups of friends, cycled most places in England and did John O Groats to lands end in 10 days with front and back loaded panniers, that was a brilliant experience particularly for the scenery and people we met along the way, i had a touring bike but the guy i did it with had a mountain bike :eek: i had some great times and experiences on my travels, and i still maintain it's the best way to travel as you see so much more than you do in a car, and you can't beat the exercise value of it, i don't do much these days, but i recently got myself a new mountain bike with disk brakes and the other bells and whistles (well not really bells :D) just need to get on it a bit more now.

Would anybody be interested in buying a Felt Q220?

I paid 380 for it last October and it has been used about 7 times. It has been serviced, and also comes with all receipts from Evans.

The biggest problem i found when i haven't been on the bike for ages is a sore arse, my legs are normally fine, years ago i did about 250-300 miles a week, not competitively just with groups of friends, cycled most places in England and did John O Groats to lands end in 10 days with front and back loaded panniers, that was a brilliant experience particularly for the scenery and people we met along the way, i had a touring bike but the guy i did it with had a mountain bike :eek: i had some great times and experiences on my travels, and i still maintain it's the best way to travel as you see so much more than you do in a car, and you can't beat the exercise value of it, i don't do much these days, but i recently got myself a new mountain bike with disk brakes and the other bells and whistles (well not really bells :D) just need to get on it a bit more now.

That is quality time in a saddle.. I found the longer rides regularly until I got blisters instead of saddle sores, letting then heal and then getting blisters again and letting them heal etc, along with very carefully with surgical spirit dried them up into calouses (SP) and from then on no more problems.

Though careful choice of saddle is needed, so it is not too wide or too skinny for the distance between the pelvis (bum) bones..

Another tip for the multiple punctures problem is a piece of chalk. Seriously! Before you take the tyre off to fix the puncture, mark the location of the valve on the tyre with the chalk. Then, when you find the puncture and assuming it's not because you a trapping the tube when remounting the tyre, you will be able to find the location of the puncture on the tyre itself to really make sure there is nothing still in the rubber that's giving you repeated punctures. Just make sure that you keep track of which side of the tube the tyre chalk mark was (i.e. if you find the puncture at two o'clock from the valve, but you flipped the tube at some point, the damage on the tyre would have been at ten o'clock).

For a road i go with rule of thumb, no suspension and light but well built. I have a nice collection of bikes. There has been some really good advice on here.

Oh and just to add to the saddle sore remedy I posted above...

Men shave your legs and all the way to the top and 'that' crease.. Hairs are a big contributor to saddle sores.. I used to shave every two days.. Need to keep on top of it as ingrown hair can cause white heads and spots... Worth it to stop chaffing and sores though..
Ladies will love the smooth legs and you may be groped by complete strangers!

yuk.

I recently bought a Specialized Allez Sport Double road bike from Evans, for £600.

Well, actually, I didn't buy it. I've got it on the ride2work scheme. I live an hour from work on the train. I won't be riding to work.

At the moment I've found a decent route near me for after work, which is only 4.3 miles. It's got some gentle downhill for a bit (get up to over 20mph almost instantly), without going for it, some gentle up hill, a nice downhill section where I get up to (so far) 32.2mph (fingers touching brakes- scared to completely let go), and a killer hill (which I managed to do without getting out the saddle for the first time last night).

I'm going to keep doing this until I feel like I'm getting stronger (pb last night of about 18mins 40), before adding an extra loop on.

I love my bike. I couldn't have afforded to buy one without the ride2work scheme. I'm completely hooked and keep looking for new toys, and clothes etc. Got a set of Look Keo Classics off a guy on here recently, so will be buying shoes in a couple of weeks.

Here's my pride and joy:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/allez-sport-double-2010-road-bike-ec019409

Very nice Simon.. Speed is exciting. building up the miles and the amount of effort whould be done after the first week and keep it climbing. Then find a hill to go up, then a loop to include the hill twice and so on..

Shaving makes the cleaning of wounds easier too.. Trust me I still have the scars.....

I used to ride 95 miles three times a week after work. 60 miles twice and 70 on a Sunday morning..... Sometimes I would do more...

Is there a weight limit to the road bikes?a guy at my work has one just like Simons, its light as air! but the saddle is like a razor! lol.. the trouble is im 19st! and it looks rather fragile! especially with the thin wheels! id be scared to go around corners at ANY speed in-case they buckle!

I would spend a few months walking or by a mountain bike for now.. Mtb riders often wear baggy cloths, road riders tend to wear lycra.. Due to a road accident I have not ridden myself since 2001 and now 16 1/2 stone.. Need to shift it but can't seem to find the time.....

Is there a weight limit to the road bikes?a guy at my work has one just like Simons, its light as air! but the saddle is like a razor! lol.. the trouble is im 19st! and it looks rather fragile! especially with the thin wheels! id be scared to go around corners at ANY speed in-case they buckle!

When I started getting back into riding, I was nearer 21st. I emailed a couple of companies - Cannondale, Specialized and Fuji all came back to me saying that there was no specific maximum weight, though I may experience a few problems with tyres/chains wearing a little quickly. Most of the drive chain components are used on racing tandems without problems, and cope with 2 peoples weight and force pushing through them :shrug:

(I seem to remember that Campag components have a note saying if you're over 85kg then to get your mechanic to check everything on a regular basis! - apparently 85kg is heavy for cyclists :( )

Last edited:
tired now tried the loop on her bike - proper shagged - apparently its the body as well as the bike

NEED to bring my cardio up, would flatter for longer do that?

also keeping an eye open for a suspension free bike as I felt when I pushed hard the bike sank before it applied that pressure

Any tips on building a route from my house thats better than the one I do now?

Do what i did, buy a turbo trainer, Stick it infront of your TV and away you go, i have spent endless hours pedalling while watching crappy day time TV programs in my holidays,
Chainreactioncycles.com will hook you up with one very cheaply and will offer great advice

right so keep heart rate down and use lower gears

sounds like ride along flatter stuff to me? (or have I got the wrong end of the stick)

do claude butler make good bikes, looking at close racing/touring bikes to me on ebay and there seem to be a few

Soft pedal and spin. Flattish routes, in the evening when the wind's dropped. Or join a club and go on Sunday runs, when you've got a lightweight.

There are several good old names; whether the bike is in good nick and suitable for you is a different matter. Claud Butler, Dawes, Saracen, Raleigh, Revell, Thorn etc have all made good mainstream tourers.

Back