D300 Owners Thread - Anything related to the D300!

I need to get my D300 out and use it a bit more only taken about 20 pics since I brought it a few months back:(. Keep reading about the D7000 and wonder if I should of got this instead.:shrug: Think I just need to take some cracking pics on the D300 to be happy.

One of my favourite lenses is a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 but when I used it on my D90 I often got slightly OOF images - probably about 20% of the time when using AF-C.

To my absolute delight this problem has gone away now that the lens is married to my D300 :)

I need to get my D300 out and use it a bit more only taken about 20 pics since I brought it a few months back:(. Keep reading about the D7000 and wonder if I should of got this instead.:shrug: Think I just need to take some cracking pics on the D300 to be happy.

Why would getting a D7000 make the situation any different? If you can't find time to shoot with your D300 would you do more?

Just get out there and remind yourself why you bought the D300 in the first place (y)

So I had my D300 out for the first time today. Parcel Force let me down and did not deliver my 50mm D so I borrowed an old Vivitar 28mm 2.8 from a friend. Talk about jumping in at the deep end, manual focus and a foreign camera!

So impressed with ISO 2500.

6289293123_f04c25a739_z.jpg

Jpeg nr low. Dragged slider tiny bit in Lightroom for reduction.

Why would getting a D7000 make the situation any different? If you can't find time to shoot with your D300 would you do more?

Just get out there and remind yourself why you bought the D300 in the first place (y)

Very true it probably wouldn't make the situation any better I would just sit here with a different camera wondering what if I had xx camera instead! Just need to find some spare time in the day and get shooting.

Just need to find some spare time in the day and get shooting.

I find I go weeks sometimes without taking a single shot simply because I have too many other commitments. When I can see a free half day coming up I make sure everyone in the family knows that I'm gonna be off taking pictures ... doesn't matter what of :)

Hopefully the new job will give me more opportunities :clap:

Well...Ive took the plunge, brought myself a D300 from a fellow TP'er (Thanks again). Coming from a D60, the D300 is going to be interesting to say the least, having only taken a few shots so far "WOW" what a camera.

Hope you dont mind, there maybe a few questions coming your way fellow TP'ers :)

back to manual for me.

Graham (y)

Last edited:
uniquegardens said:
Well...Ive took the plunge, brought myself a D300 from a fellow TP'er (Thanks again). Coming from a D60, the D300 is going to be interesting to say the least, having only taken a few shots so far "WOW" what a camera.

Hope you dont mind, there maybe a few questions coming your way fellow TP'ers :)

back to manual for me.

Graham (y)

Great choice. Welcome to the fold.

Hi,

Just to say that I'm awaiting collection of a D300 after selling my one about 6 months ago. Looking forward to getting some great shots in as the iPhone 4s is ok for general point and shoot, but there have been times where I have said " if only I had my D300 with me" and it's always been when the moments been and gone!!

Mike.

Would like to say i'm glad to join the club as well. Bought a D300 used last week and now i'm a happy bunny.

Got a d7000 first but i always like the idea of having a D300. So now i got both and i shoot more on my D300 when working but the D7000 is great with smaller and prime lens for me :)

Would like to say i'm glad to join the club as well. Bought a D300 used last week and now i'm a happy bunny.

Got a d7000 first but i always like the idea of having a D300. So now i got both and i shoot more on my D300 when working but the D7000 is great with smaller and prime lens for me :)

Welcome to the club :)

was wondering how many of you guys actually use EN-EL4a batteries? After doing some research it seems getting a 8 batteries charger and bunch of rechargeable AA is the ideal option since the grip comes with the battery tray.

Was wondering how long will the AA last if shooting with them?

was wondering how many of you guys actually use EN-EL4a batteries? After doing some research it seems getting a 8 batteries charger and bunch of rechargeable AA is the ideal option since the grip comes with the battery tray.

Was wondering how long will the AA last if shooting with them?

I've used the 8xAA option in my Meike grip and got about 250 shots (IIRC) at max FPS. The batteries weren't dead ... I just stopped shooting :) I use a mixture of Eneloop and 7dayshop rechargeables which also double as flash batteries so they plenty of use and recharge.

Still trying to work my way through all the settings. Does anyone know any good recommends for base settings? Or is it a case of go from default and change one at a time?

Still trying to work my way through all the settings. Does anyone know any good recommends for base settings? Or is it a case of go from default and change one at a time?

What sort of settings? if you talking about shooting settings etc then is all about personal preference.

I shoot RAW only so i turn lots of stuff like active D light, noise reduction off. I also shoot in 12bit RAW because it allow me to shoot in 6fps burst without a problem. 14bit RAW the burst is not fast. It feels it drop to 3fps ......

Very true it probably wouldn't make the situation any better I would just sit here with a different camera wondering what if I had xx camera instead! Just need to find some spare time in the day and get shooting.

I was in the same position as you. D300 and ƒ2.8 lenses were a pain to carry around all the time and I almost stopped using them. But, I bought into the micro 4 thirds system ( Panasonic GF1 and lenses) It was so convenient to carry around I found myself taking it out all the time and using it.
It seemed to take over all my shooting time and I eventually sold my D300.
I wish I had kept it..:crying: After a year or so I found myself hankering after a big DSLR again and bought a D200 ( can't afford another 300, yet).
I still use m43 ( now an Oly E-PL2 with 14mm lens and a Panny G2 with 14-45 and 45-200) IQ is very good but now I have the choice. Big camera and big lenses or small camera and small lenses. One or the other is always with me.

Get yourself an M43 camera and lens, get your interest in photography going again then you will start using the D300 again.

Worked for me...

Allan

was wondering how many of you guys actually use EN-EL4a batteries?

I often use the EN-EL4a from my D3 in the D300. The best I got was about 3000 images (Raw+Jpg) including plenty of chimping over a weekend a year or so ago at a race weekend.

I often use the EN-EL4a from my D3 in the D300. The best I got was about 3000 images (Raw+Jpg) including plenty of chimping over a weekend a year or so ago at a race weekend.

So they last ages. I have to consider my option now.

First i need to buy the battery chamber ...... i personally feel the £35-40 chamber is abit ripped off. They should include that with the MB-D10

Agreed, although I purchased a cheap rip off one off Ebay, and to be honest, you can't tell it apart from a genunie Nikon one (afterall, it's just a end cap).

you mean the meike one? Someone told me the meike chamber cannot be use on the original MB-D10.

Otherwise i can buy a meike cap and third party battery to try it out.

I'll check tonight to see if mine has a make on it.

What sort of settings? if you talking about shooting settings etc then is all about personal preference.

I shoot RAW only so i turn lots of stuff like active D light, noise reduction off. I also shoot in 12bit RAW because it allow me to shoot in 6fps burst without a problem. 14bit RAW the burst is not fast. It feels it drop to 3fps ......

Talking about all the different settings in the custom settings menus and also the shooting bank. Have set up a profile for each letter one being sport, one landscape etc and adjusted things like noise reduction etc depending on what i am shooting. Think I just need to tweak them and play.

I was in the same position as you. D300 and ƒ2.8 lenses were a pain to carry around all the time and I almost stopped using them. But, I bought into the micro 4 thirds system ( Panasonic GF1 and lenses) It was so convenient to carry around I found myself taking it out all the time and using it.
It seemed to take over all my shooting time and I eventually sold my D300.
I wish I had kept it..:crying: After a year or so I found myself hankering after a big DSLR again and bought a D200 ( can't afford another 300, yet).
I still use m43 ( now an Oly E-PL2 with 14mm lens and a Panny G2 with 14-45 and 45-200) IQ is very good but now I have the choice. Big camera and big lenses or small camera and small lenses. One or the other is always with me.

Get yourself an M43 camera and lens, get your interest in photography going again then you will start using the D300 again.

Worked for me...

Allan

Been out this weekend and shot loads as I have enrolled on a photography evening class and it's given me a kick up the bum to get out and take photo's for the homework side of the course.

Think I am going to invest in a book about the D300 too.

Last edited:
I shoot RAW only so i leave all the process in Lightroom. So most of my settings are turn off. I just need to worry about getting the composition, exposure, focus and sharpness.

Anyone recommend a good budget remote release? The official one from Nikon is a touch expensive. 7dayshop do one any good?

buy a meike one on ebay for about £2.50. It send from HK and everything just works fine. I bought two, one for my D300 and one for my D7000 and both work flawless.

buy a meike one on ebay for about £2.50. It send from HK and everything just works fine. I bought two, one for my D300 and one for my D7000 and both work flawless.

Is that a basic one or does it have the LCD screen and do the timer functions?

basic one with shutter and lock for bulb mode. I only use those anyway, unless you need the LCD one otherwise is good enough.

Just trying to think if I need the time function or just use a time on my phone or the old fashion way and count!

For me i count or use my phone. For £2.50 that works fine on stuff like shutter remote then i certainly not going to pay alot of money for the original one. If it break, drop or stolen i can always buy another one. Unless the original LCD one cost around £10-15 then i may consider, otherwise i won't buy it lol

I just happened to be passing our local camera shop and he had a D300 that had just been part exchanged by a customer.
10 minutes later I was walking out with a heavy golden box.........

It has 2400 shutter actuations and is totally unmarked. :love: I mean, I couldn't leave it there, could I?..........

Allan

Thats nice Allan. I love my D300 but is more like a workhorse camera now and my D7000 as backup/video and general use.

D300 with 28-70 f2.8 is pain to walk around with lol but is very good tho :)

Last d300 I had was paired almost permanently with a 17-55 ƒ2.8. Man that was heavy to walk around with all day. I eventually sold it and bought a 16-85 which I loved.
I now have a Tamron 17-50 ƒ2.8 and a Nikon 55-200 VR. I will be swapping that for a 70-300 VR as soon as I have the funds. I will be steering away from Nikon ƒ2.8 glass, its fantastic, but just too heavy for how I use the camera.

I use my trusty E-PL2 with 14mm lens for when I want to be a little more discreet!

Allan

It was good that i kept my D7000, so my D300 with 28-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 basically only use for work stuff and my d7000 with small compact lens for travel.

I was looking at the 16-86 and the 18-200 VR. Thinking about buying the 18-200 VR for my D7000 for travel.

I just thought I would drop in, as today I just got myself a D300s to go along with my D90....I had been saving for a d700, but have had to spend a lot on other things lately...and although I have only had the D300s in my possesion for a couple of hours it seems to be a really nice bit of kit....I have just ordered a set of rear and top GGS screen protectors..

cheers steve..

(phew that shutter sure sounds fast compared to the d90, and the options for focusing look real good..now where is that sunshine.. )

Last edited:
Wondering if anyone knows how to access some additional picture controls. Downloaded the files from this link from Nikon UK. http://nikonimglib.com/opc/ And have put the landscape and portrait profiles onto the camera. Was going to put the D2X profiles on too but there is three of them in total but my camera has only two spare spaces.

But if I access the shooting menu and scroll down to Manage picture control hit ok then go to delete it lists the two I have added, two blank spaces then faded out is says C-1,C-2 and C-3 and the slide bar at the side suggests it goes lower. What are these c-1 etc profiles?

Back