D300 Owners Thread - Anything related to the D300!

The c ones are custom..that's the ones you are loading. Off the top of my head you can have five

Wondering if anyone knows how to access some additional picture controls. Downloaded the files from this link from Nikon UK. http://nikonimglib.com/opc/ And have put the landscape and portrait profiles onto the camera. Was going to put the D2X profiles on too but there is three of them in total but my camera has only two spare spaces.

But if I access the shooting menu and scroll down to Manage picture control hit ok then go to delete it lists the two I have added, two blank spaces then faded out is says C-1,C-2 and C-3 and the slide bar at the side suggests it goes lower. What are these c-1 etc profiles?

You need to go to <set picture controls> you should see all eight of them there. I have the first four defaults settings, then Portrait, Landscape, DX2mode 1 and DX2mode 3. Didn't bother with 2.

Allan

You need to go to <set picture controls> you should see all eight of them there. I have the first four defaults settings, then Portrait, Landscape, DX2mode 1 and DX2mode 3. Didn't bother with 2.

Allan

I have the four defaults plus landscape and portrait now. Might upload the two DX2 ones as well you suggest.

I just got my new D300 a couple of days ago, sooo pleased with it..anyway I have been using a D90 up untill now which uses SDcards and I have noticed that the D300s can take CF cards as well...I have plenty of Sd cards, but which are best.. is there any advantage to using CF cards over the SD cards ?

also do the D300s images use more room up on memory cards than my D90 images did, or is it just my imagination with that 7 frames per second doing motorsport ..

steve.

It certainly uses less space then my D7000 because of pixel and the 12bit RAW i'm using.

I can't get the 6-8 fps using 14bit RAW so i just shoot in 12bit these days.

Any advise on how to upload the additional picture controls to my camera?
I realise it's a basic question, but Ive never done it before & I cant really find any info about it.

Not a problem if you follow this link -http://nikonimglib.com/opc/ it will take you to the additional picture controls available for the D300(s) and this link http://nikonimglib.com/opc/manual/en/opc_win_en_ABF.html shows you how to install them onto your camera. All you need is a clear memory card download them to this then pop it into the camera and and then head to the picture control menus. Just follow the pics in the link. Hope it helps.

Hi, just upgraded from a D40x to a used D300. Bought from ebay, body only, so using the kit lens from that (D40x) and a tamron 70-300mm. Unfortuanately havent tried it yet due to work commitments but its there ready now. Really looking forward to it. I have downloaded a spreadsheet of settings to enter for the banks that hopefully will bring the camera close to the setting required for that senario.
Richard

Davyjones said:
Hi, just upgraded from a D40x to a used D300. Bought from ebay, body only, so using the kit lens from that (D40x) and a tamron 70-300mm. Unfortuanately havent tried it yet due to work commitments but its there ready now. Really looking forward to it. I have downloaded a spreadsheet of settings to enter for the banks that hopefully will bring the camera close to the setting required for that senario.
Richard

What's this spread sheet you talk of?

Davyjones said:
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=149&topic_id=113811&mesg_id=113811&page

Above is the link to the spread sheet on another forum, you have to be a member to access it. Hope I am allowed to mention other forum.
From what I understand it is custom setting saved in the settings for certain senarios.
Hope this helps but it is just general setting of a personal preferance
Richard

Quite interested as to what someone thinks the beat settings are for a situation im in that they can't see.

Hi Tony, The settings in the spread sheet are just a generalisation and can be adjusted from. For me they are a starting point, as I have little knowledge of photography to date. I did learn from just putting in the settings, a bit about the camera controls.
Richard

Davyjones said:
Hi Tony, The settings in the spread sheet are just a generalisation and can be adjusted from. For me they are a starting point, as I have little knowledge of photography to date. I did learn from just putting in the settings, a bit about the camera controls.
Richard

Glad it helped you but don't rely one them and always try other settings as you want to learn for yourself.

Howdy folks,

Whilst checking something else out I just noticed that in Manual and Shutter priority modes if you go beyond the bulb or 30" setting "x 250" appears in the display. There are a couple of mentions of it in the user manual but I can't find a description of what it's for - anyone know?

I've tried a couple of shots with that as the shutter speed and the info display says the shutter speed was 1/250s :shrug:

Howdy folks,

Whilst checking something else out I just noticed that in Manual and Shutter priority modes if you go beyond the bulb or 30" setting "x 250" appears in the display. There are a couple of mentions of it in the user manual but I can't find a description of what it's for - anyone know?

I've tried a couple of shots with that as the shutter speed and the info display says the shutter speed was 1/250s :shrug:

I assume it will be the Flash sync speed.

Just had look in the manual, and it is, on page 288.

I assume it will be the Flash sync speed.

Just had look in the manual, and it is, on page 288.

I kinda thought that was what it was but managed to miss the bit on P288 when checking the manual.

If you set the flash sync to 1/320s (custom menu setting, e1) then "x 320" appears in the display not "x 250" which I guess confirms everything. I'm just puzzled now as to why they would put that setting there when you can simply dial in 1/250 or 1/320 anyway?

Perhaps forces flash sync - usual max is 250...?

I'm sure you're right but why place the setting right at the bottom of the shutter speed selection? You have to scroll for ages to get there :thinking:

So then whose going to convince me to keep my D300 instead of selling up for a D7000?

I think part of my problem is the D300 is sitting in the cupboard unused need to find some insperation appears none is for sale in the classfieds!

Well should be the owner of a D300 soon(y);looking forward to being flummoxed by the myriad of controls,will probably take a bone-head like my until Christmas to fathom it out:thinking:.

So then whose going to convince me to keep my D300 instead of selling up for a D7000?

I think part of my problem is the D300 is sitting in the cupboard unused need to find some insperation appears none is for sale in the classfieds!

The d300 and d7000 is different thing .... i have both and my D300 is main and D7000 as backup.

For work i use my D300 and for holiday and walkaround i use d7000.

To be fair the ISO performance on the D7000 is better, but everything else like focus, handling, build quality on the D300 is much better.

The d300 and d7000 is different thing .... i have both and my D300 is main and D7000 as backup.

For work i use my D300 and for holiday and walkaround i use d7000.

To be fair the ISO performance on the D7000 is better, but everything else like focus, handling, build quality on the D300 is much better.

I think I have talked myself out of doing the swap today all I can see myself gaining is like you said ISO performance but I all ready find the D300 more than enough for my needs. Video I am not too fussed about as I doubt I would ever save them and watch anything over and over.

Well should be the owner of a D300 soon(y);looking forward to being flummoxed by the myriad of controls,will probably take a bone-head like my until Christmas to fathom it out:thinking:.

Should have it today:woot:

Just make sure, Barry, that when it arrives you get out and use it :)

I've joined the ranks........

Well, it arrived....:love:....should've bought one years ago.

And much to my delight it recognised one of my old AI lenses, a Micro Nikkor 55mm f3.5 from the 70's.

There's pretty

IMG_0641-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Just make sure, Barry, that when it arrives you get out and use it :)

As soon as the bloody cf card I ordered from e-bay arrives I will(actually I'm that sad I've got it with me at work even though I can't use it).

I have an old flash, I do mean old, a Sunpak 24SR, which has a sync cord.

Can I use it off-camera and plug it into the D300s sync terminal, I don't want to damage the camera's circuits.

I have an old flash, I do mean old, a Sunpak 24SR, which has a sync cord.

Can I use it off-camera and plug it into the D300s sync terminal, I don't want to damage the camera's circuits.

Make sure to put the lens setting on the non CPU data.

If I want to use the sync socket then I have to put the lens setting on the non CPU data.....:thinking:

Seems odd, why is that?

Or is this the answer to a different question.

my reply to putting the lens data is not a reply for the sync socket. I just mention to obvious so when your manual lens will get a proper data and reading on the camera. Sorry to confuss you lol.

Ian,

That looks interesting, thanks for posting the link. I have to wear varifocal lenses and find being able to see the settings in the viewfinder whilst also working on composition is a real PITA so this might help.

Ian,

That looks interesting, thanks for posting the link. I have to wear varifocal lenses and find being able to see the settings in the viewfinder whilst also working on composition is a real PITA so this might help.

Same here, well only need glass for anything a long distance away but I also find I end up with nose prints all over the rear screen too most annoying.

Had a look and found the parts on eBay and it works out about £25 for them all from one seller based in Hong Kong. Says there genuine but not 100% on that bit!

Anyone seen the group review in Digital Camera this month?(might not be out yet as I just got my subs copy) 300s comes out well against some newer cameras.

More love for the D300 from me :clap:

ISO 3200 and naff all noise reduction ( shot in RAW ) neither in cam nor PP

8h6w.jpg

Back