D300 Owners Thread - Anything related to the D300!

Just a test really. I wouldnt normally

Gary Coyle said:
Why on earth would you shoot ISO 3200 on a beautiful sunny day

To freeze the action in that fast moving subject :p

Sorry mate, you failed :nono:

If you live in Wales you will get a re-grading after which you will have passed (y)

Damn those offqual guys :LOL:

Had it been a night time shot it probably would of been more acceptable as a noise demo at ISO 3200.

As for me I might be jumping from the D300 ship the lure of a D7000 has gotten to me:help::wave:

Had it been a night time shot it probably would of been more acceptable as a noise demo at ISO 3200.

Aw, ok :crying:

xgh6wm.jpg

As for me I might be jumping from the D300 ship the lure of a D7000 has gotten to me:help::wave:

Traitor,

Saw you jumped last week. Do you want to give me your d300 and i will give it love and affection.

Sat here deliberating between the D300/s and D7000. I will mainly be doing outside stuff, wildlife etc, so know the focusing and fps alot better. PArt of me keeps thinking D7000 due to the extra mp and ISO settings. :help::help:

D300 has been sold all ready. If you want faster fps the D300 would be better over the D7000.

I would only been a traitor had I gone to Canon! :bonk:

D300 has been sold all ready. If you want faster fps the D300 would be better over the D7000.

I would only been a traitor had I gone to Canon! :bonk:

I only meant it as leaving the D300. ;)

I did have a play with the d7000 and thought it was nice, just not sure though.

What are the advantages of the D300s over the D300? Not really interested in video. You have the dual card slots (not sure if that can equate to an extra £100-200) Are there any functioning buttons the D300s has over the D300?

Currently using a D200 (borrowed) so starting to using the BBF, and know how most of things work (in theory i think)

The D300 with grip and en-el4a battery takes some beating in my opinion, one of the best cameras without movie mode Nikon have ever made.

Realspeed

Last edited:
Hi,

I have the rf602 remote/trigger and first time using it as I wanted too as an off camera flash (rather than the usual remote).

Only the camera didn't seem to detect it, and when taking a picture acted as though there wasn't any flash attached.

Is there a setting I need to change to get it to take a quicker pic, or do I just have to go manual (as I did) ?

Morning All
Joined the D300s club on Tuesday :) Had it's first day out yesterday and I am very happy with it. I have the Nikon grip with the Nikon EN-EL4a Battery. Could one of you D300 experts advise me on the best compact flash card to buy please. I do have a Sandisk 8gb 45MB/s sdhc card so not sure if it is worth me buying one.
Thanks in advance.
Gary

ecniv

Sorry can't help I just use a camera wireless remote control.

Gary
I use a 16gb 60MB/s CF Sandisk card on my D300 if thats any help. It really all depends on your camera settings, If using TIFF then the larger the CF card the more frames it will take, but if using Basic Jpeg
then a smaller card would suffice. Another consideration is if you want to keep a set of photos of one subject on one card and another set of photos on another card. Then again if you use smaller GB cards should you lose one or a card goes pear shaped you havn't lost everything.
Just remember the slower the MB/s card is the more likely it is to stall when using continous frame shooting as the card can't keep up with the camera due to transfer rates.

Realspeed

Last edited:
I use both Lexar Pro and Sandisk Extreme 3 & 4 - never a glitch

You wont go wrong with either

Gary
I have a 4gb sandisk (ultra III I think) and it only needs offloading on long shoots. I get around 150 raw + jpeg basic pics... So I'd say your 8gb should do you for now. If you find you are running out of space, either a laptop or portable hd to off load (even ipad?) or then consider a second 8gb :) enjoy

Thanks real.. will keep looking - come across 'commander mode' - but not sure this is what I need :)

Hi all. Joined the 300s club on Tuesday. Should have got one of these ages ago. Impressive piece of kit.

I have just joined the club with a D300s, not getting it till tomorrow or friday :crying: but will give me the weekend to play.

Looking forward to the improvements over the D200, be nice to go out on a shoot and not worry about battery life.

Hi Guys,
I am thinking of buying a battery grip for my d300. i am assuming the nikon ones are the best but is any third party grip worth considering?

I've had a Nikon one and a Meike one. The Nikon one is better but is a lot, lot more money. Think the Meike ones are about £40 new. If I used a grip all the time, I'd maybe stretch to the Nikon one but for occasional use the Meike one is perfect. Whichever you go for I'd factor in the cost of buying a En-EL4 battery and appropriate charger. It'll give you high FPS (which the standard battery won't) but it'll save you faffing around with AA's. Third party ones are cheap enough these days.

I was in the same position..went for the meike as I had one on d90 and it worked great.However this one was faulty,aa tray didnt work no matter what batteries I tried so I purchased an el4a and charger off here with the hope of that working but sadly neither did that! i then had the enjoyable task of trying to explain all that to a foreign seller on ebay.I have returned the grip and awaiting a refund.I then went out to local shop near me and got a lovely used mint nikon one.I had the chance to compare both side by side and have to say the nikon one is much better built,fits better and works!:D
Dont get me wrong if the meike one wasnt faulty I certainly wouldnt have gone looking for a nikon one.In a way I am glad I have one now after being able to compare the two but will say I wouldnt be able to justify buying a new nikon at its retail price.If you can find a mint used one I would say go for it but on the other hand if you get a meike you certainly wouldnt be disappointed for the price,excellent value and build.Lots of people swear by the 3rd party especially meike but guess I was just unlucky..the decision is yours!(y)

I'd wait for a s/h genuine one from here;I wasn't going to get one but one came up and I couldn't resist:LOL:

Thanks for your help guys! I know that they have them on sale at mpb photographic for about £100. But dont you have to get a special battery chamber to hold the en-el4a battery in the grip?

Last edited:
Yep worth seeing if one crops up in the classifieds for sure..if your budget allows also try and get the enl4a and charger.That thing lasts forever and ever!I have taken almost 300 shots and its still on 89% charge!:naughty:

Meant to say MPB have some in stock and one is reduced to £89 as apparently it loses charge quick with AA batteries and doesnt increase FPS either but stick a nikon battery in and its good as gold.Looks in good condition and only minor marks on it.I nearly went for it but found one local from dealer.

Hi guys picking one of these up tonight can you recommend a good walk about lens and a zoom lens got about £500

Depends what you shoot.

I like the tokina 11-16 as a walk about (gets mostly everything in) and is technically a zoom ;)

But I prefer the primes for crispness.
something like the 35mm f1.8 (although I think it disagrees with my camera) or the 50mm f1.4d.

You have the option of older lenses in the nikon range (see used camera stores, ebay or vintage places) as the d300 has a screw motor for focus.

If you meant zoom as long range, although I don't have one, a sigma 50-500 should cope with pretty much everything. For crisper quality, you'd need to read the reviews but more expensive 70-200/70-300 might be worth looking at.

I've been using the lensbaby composer (with double glass) and its very crisp. Takes a while to get used to though, and I've just bought into the edge 80 for some tilt n shift attempts...

If you happen to have a range you prefer, some like the tamron 17-50mm as a walkabout.

Depends what you shoot.

I like the tokina 11-16 as a walk about (gets mostly everything in) and is technically a zoom ;)

But I prefer the primes for crispness.
something like the 35mm f1.8 (although I think it disagrees with my camera) or the 50mm f1.4d.

You have the option of older lenses in the nikon range (see used camera stores, ebay or vintage places) as the d300 has a screw motor for focus.

If you meant zoom as long range, although I don't have one, a sigma 50-500 should cope with pretty much everything. For crisper quality, you'd need to read the reviews but more expensive 70-200/70-300 might be worth looking at.

I've been using the lensbaby composer (with double glass) and its very crisp. Takes a while to get used to though, and I've just bought into the edge 80 for some tilt n shift attempts...

If you happen to have a range you prefer, some like the tamron 17-50mm as a walkabout.

On my canon i had the 24-105 and 70-200 L what nikon lenses would you compare these to also prime lenses on canon are L what are they on nikon

Hi guys picking one of these up tonight can you recommend a good walk about lens and a zoom lens got about £500

I would say not to discount the 18-105 VR that was normally supplied as a kit lens with the D300 as a general walkabout lens - it is surprisingly good.

For a longer zoom the 70-300 VR takes a lot of beating.

You should be able to get both of these for your £500 as long as you're prepared to buy second hand.

Hope that helps :D

On my canon i had the 24-105 and 70-200 L what nikon lenses would you compare these to also prime lenses on canon are L what are they on nikon

I doubt you are going to get anything close to Canon L lenses for £500. :shrug:

I like the Nikon 16-85mm VR as my main lens, but that would take up most of your £500 new.

I also have a Nikon 70-300mm VR, and for me they are the perfect mid range combo. They are more than £500 combined, though you could get closer 2nd hand, but probably still be over budget I think.

Nikon primes are just quality primes. ;)

As with any lenses, from any manufacturer, you get what you pay for, and generally you get a better lenses the more you pay. Unless it is a compromised zoom like the 18-200mm, a 18-300mm or something similar with a huge zoom range, were you give up some quality for range. :shrug:

Got an e-mail from Nikon today about this;
D300 Firmware Update A 1.11, B 1.11 now available.

officially it says just support for the new 800/5.6 is added, but who knows :)

Almost certainly its just that - they did similar updates to the other recent(ish) bodies recently.

I'm just pleased/surprised they went back to do this for the D300 - its getting a bit long in the tooth now!

Nikon please for the love of god, bring out a D400 before my D300 dies...

Don't know if its already been mentioned but I have set A1 and A2 to focus so the shutter only opens when the camera is in focus. Saved loads of duff shots since then.

Thinking about a D800 with the D300 as backup.

Just in case the rubber hand front grip comes loose I wrote this some time ago in this thread in two parts , so please read complete thread

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=473628

Realspeed

Last edited:
I have a problem with my d300! The electronic analog exposure display, doesn't display! Any ideas whats wrong? thanks for your help.

which version do you have? maybe an update to A1.11 and B1.11 will sort out the problem

Realspeed

Back