D500 /D7200 / SB 700 best trigger / additional flash

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Folks,

Asking for a Nikon friend of mine (I shoot Canon)

She has a D500 and a backup D7200

She has an SB 700 flash and is looking to shoot off camera.

My initial reaction was a set of 622N triggers (the commander + 2 receiver pack)

For an addition speedlight I would suggest the 968 or the 685 (10 quid extra pushes me towards the 968 which I assume wouldn't even need a trigger?) which means she could then just get the Commander +1 receiver pack)

Can someone who owns a similar confirm I haven't got it wrong please

Thanks in advance

Martin

I have a d7200 with a couple of sb800 flashes. The onboard flash can be used to trigger the sb800’s. pretty sure it would be the same for an sb700.

Can’t confirm on the d500.

Cheers,
Dougie.

Folks,

Asking for a Nikon friend of mine (I shoot Canon)

She has a D500 and a backup D7200

She has an SB 700 flash and is looking to shoot off camera.

My initial reaction was a set of 622N triggers (the commander + 2 receiver pack)

For an addition speedlight I would suggest the 968 or the 685 (10 quid extra pushes me towards the 968 which I assume wouldn't even need a trigger?) which means she could then just get the Commander +1 receiver pack)

Can someone who owns a similar confirm I haven't got it wrong please

Thanks in advance

Martin

Yes, that would work well and is pretty cheap, but it limits her to Yongnuo if she wanted to take things further - basically restricted to adding speedlights. The Godox system is much more extensive, right up to high-end pro studio/location kit. The speedlights are a bit better too, and still very affordable.

Personally, I'd sell the Nikon SB-700 and start afresh with Godox. In fact, that's what I am doing. Pixapro is rebranded Godox, identical products.

The D7200 can be used in commander mode to optically (IR) control the SB700 off camera manually or TTL... any other flash could be added that is Nikon CLS compatible for TTL, or has optical slave triggering for manual (i.e. any SB or YN568EX).

But it's really hard to beat the Godox V860II Li-ion and Xpro-N... I've also gone over to Godox (V860II Li-ion, AD200, AD360).

Last edited:
The D7200 can be used in commander mode to optically (IR) control the SB700 off camera manually or TTL... any other flash could be added that is Nikon CLS compatible for TTL, or has optical slave triggering for manual (i.e. any SB or YN568EX).

But it's really hard to beat the Godox V860II Li-ion and Xpro-N... I've also gone over to Godox (V860II Li-ion, AD200, AD360).

Agree with this and am another one that switched over completely to Godox both for studio lighting and flash’s.

Thanks for the replies folks. I think her issue is the D500 may not be compatible with the SB700. as that is becoming her go to camera.

I will share this thread with her so we can discuss her options.

Thanks

I think her issue is the D500 may not be compatible with the SB700. as that is becoming her go to camera.
The D500 is considered a professional model and doesn't have a built in flash; therefore no remote CLS/commander mode. It can be added by using a compatible flash or SU800 in the hotshoe, but that's not even close to being worth the cost IMO.
The one thing the SB700 has going for it is that it is relatively small/light for on-camera/event use... I don't mind the V860II Li-ion on camera, but it is notably bigger/heavier.

Reactions: TG.
I also sold my Nikon speedlights along with my Pocket wizards and went the Godox route, and I have no regrets whatsoever, I love the built in receivers on the V860II and the lithium batteries that go on forever, and if I do have to replace a flash, trigger, or a battery I know it's not going to cost me the earth

The number of people going over to Godox, just on this thread, is astonishing. I can understand why, being one of them, but it's turning into a bit of a landslide.

Bowens will not be the last casualty... :eek:

I also sold my Nikon speedlights along with my Pocket wizards and went the Godox route, and I have no regrets whatsoever, I love the built in receivers on the V860II and the lithium batteries that go on forever, and if I do have to replace a flash, trigger, or a battery I know it's not going to cost me the earth
+5ish :)

The number of people going over to Godox, just on this thread, is astonishing. I can understand why, being one of them, but it's turning into a bit of a landslide.

Bowens will not be the last casualty... :eek:
I read about one of the studio flash brands (Phottix?) "teaming up" with Canon making their strobes compatible with the canon speedlites. Nikon needs to up their game if they want to stay in business.

Reactions: TG.
So Folks,

Just to double check.

If she got 2 x 680 and a controller she could use :-

• 1 on camera
  • 1 on camera and 1 off
  • 2 off camera

Is there much difference between the X1T-N and XPro-N ?

Not a lot of difference in cost ?

I also just read that I could potentially use an X1R-N as a receiver with her existing flash ? and potentially as a way to trigger her camera remotely via the Pro controller?

Thanks again for the input.

Last edited:
  • 1 on camera
  • 1 on camera and 1 off
  • 2 off camera
Yes, it is a wonderfully versatile system and at a great price...

Personally I am not sure of the differences on the triggers, you can use the receiver as a remote release but, not wirelessly (I believe)

Add another making the change but reluctant to change my pair of Safari 2's, probably will though...

So Folks,

Just to double check.

If she got 2 x 680 and a controller she could use :-

• 1 on camera
Some technical, some usability
Not a lot of difference in cost ?
nope
I also just read that I could potentially use an X1R-N as a receiver with her existing flash ? and potentially as a way to trigger her camera remotely via the Pro controller?
Yes, bu need an xtra transmitter isf using flash simultaneously
Thanks again for the input.

The X1T is nice and small, and fully featured... but it is also harder to see/read, it has terrible lighting for use outdoors. And it is a little more convoluted to use.
The XPro is larger/easier to use overall, but is missing offset timing for tail sync... (or was, I don't think they added it with a firmware update yet).

Folks,

Just to say thanks for the replies and advice.

She went ahead with the Godox and is very pleased with the results so far !!!

hi so what do I need to trigger my sb 800 and sb 900 o.c. with my d850 and d750

hi so what do I need to trigger my sb 800 and sb 900 o.c. with my d850 and d750
Haven't you read the thread ... you need to sell them and buy two Good V860s and a X-Pro N trigger. :)
The one thing the SB700 has going for it is that it is relatively small/light for on-camera/event use... I don't mind the V860II Li-ion on camera, but it is notably bigger/heavier.
Don't discount the TT350 if you want an on camera flash. Can buy both a V860 and a TT350 for (approximately) the cost of one SB700.

Back