D500

what shutter speed did you use for the bob fly past ?

good shots apart from the props !

we have all done it

what shutter speed did you use for the bob fly past ?

good shots apart from the props !

we have all done it

Yeah for some reason I had the shutter speed at 1/640. God knows why. Defo should of had the 70-200 on there. Hey ho

what do you guys use to reduce noise in post processing ?

Sorry I couldn’t resist. The first thing I do is turn the dam radio off and also wait until the missus is out shopping .:LOL:.

Seriously though I’ve found this book excellent if using LR https://www.amazon.co.uk/Photograph...&qid=1529903977&sr=8-4&keywords=robin+whalley

You also get free access to a 1.5 hour online training video inc with the book,

Here is his website,he’s from up north and a nice guy that gives away quite a bit of free pdf stuff from time to time.hes also on YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCYMWL3WXU9QMeOUhD3lOpEw

Hope there is something there that might help

So, I get my D500 tomorrow. I used to do a lot of long lens work, mainly aviation back when I shot Canon and used a 5DIII and then a 7DII.

Mainly doing landscapes these days I wanted a back up to the D750 for trips abroad. The obvious choice was another D750, which would have allowed me to keep different lenses on both FF cameras and have my focal lengths all the same. Then in the case of failure it was more of the same.

But, I missed having a camera that was up for it and on it's toes with frame rate and autofocus if that makes any sense. By adding the D500 hopefully I will have something different which will allow me to do aviation photography again, give me some different focal lengths with my existing lenses and I have a camera as a backup on the off chance the worst happens to still take landscape pictures with. Really looking forward to popping the 70-200 F4 VR onto the D500 and shooting some frames off now...

Have I made the right choice? Will I get carried away and want a longer lens again!

So, I get my D500 tomorrow. I used to do a lot of long lens work, mainly aviation back when I shot Canon and used a 5DIII and then a 7DII.

But, I missed having a camera that was up for it and on it's toes with frame rate and autofocus if that makes any sense. By adding the D500 hopefully I will have something different which will allow me to do aviation photography again, give me some different focal lengths with my existing lenses and I have a camera as a backup on the off chance the worst happens to still take landscape pictures with. Really looking forward to popping the 70-200 F4 VR onto the D500 and shooting some frames off now...

Have I made the right choice? Will I get carried away and want a longer lens again!

You'll be hankering after a 200-500mm soon, what with FFD on the horizon and RAF F.35's at Marham;)

Sure you'll like the D500.

GC

I have the d750 and the d500 combo too.

The d500 mainly has the sigma 150-600 on it. I occasionally have the 70-200 2.8 Nikon on it.

I have noticed the difference in iq with the d500 compared to d750. It does take some used to looking at the files. But the af and buffer makes up for that. I am considering swapping the sigma for the nikon 200-500. Just because of how soft the sigma appears to be on wildlife. Yet on aviation it seems tons better.

But I'm glad I have brought the d500.

Has anyone got a raw file that they could send me taken with a 200-500.

Ideally at 500mm with the subject a fair distance away

Please

Has anyone got a raw file that they could send me taken with a 200-500.

Ideally at 500mm with the subject a fair distance away

Please

if you get some files can you let me know your findings as i keep debating doing the same :)

Thank you for all those that sent me raw files. After lab testing anazlying and looking into different aspects I've decided I'm going to pull the trigger on the 200-500. Hopefully i won't get a duff one. I'll keep you updated once it's here and had a better chance to use it.

Thank you for all those that sent me raw files. After lab testing anazlying and looking into different aspects I've decided I'm going to pull the trigger on the 200-500. Hopefully i won't get a duff one. I'll keep you updated once it's here and had a better chance to use it.
From what I have seen, it's a smashing lens M8.

Sorry I couldn’t resist. The first thing I do is turn the dam radio off and also wait until the missus is out shopping .:LOL:.

Seriously though I’ve found this book excellent if using LR https://www.amazon.co.uk/Photograph...&qid=1529903977&sr=8-4&keywords=robin+whalley

You also get free access to a 1.5 hour online training video inc with the book,

Here is his website,he’s from up north and a nice guy that gives away quite a bit of free pdf stuff from time to time.hes also on YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCYMWL3WXU9QMeOUhD3lOpEw

Hope there is something there that might help

Some good info there

Hi folks,
I’m (im)patiently waiting for delivery of a new D500 and Nikkor 200-500mm f5.6.
I’m thinking a battery grip makes sense - does anyone have any suggestions for a good non oem grip, or does it make sense to pay that small fortune for a genuine one?
Thanks in anticipation.

Hi folks,
I’m (im)patiently waiting for delivery of a new D500 and Nikkor 200-500mm f5.6.
I’m thinking a battery grip makes sense - does anyone have any suggestions for a good non oem grip, or does it make sense to pay that small fortune for a genuine one?
Thanks in anticipation.
I too may look at getting a grip but tbh, I find the D500 & 200-500 too heavy to shoot in any other orientation apart from landscape. I would get a grip for use when I have my 16-80 fitted.
I took the plunge last year - moving from the Tamron 150-600 and although the AF might be a touch slower - I find consistency much better and I get some cracking results. I would say though, that AF fine tuning is worthwhile. My results were a little soft until I performed an AF fine tune and now I'm getting closer to critical focus at 100%

I bought a Neewar copy off eBay and have been very happy with it when I have used it. :) £33, a fraction (less than 10%) of the cost Nikon try and get away with charging. :rolleyes: For some it is original Nikon only, and it is in theory better built, and if you can stomach Nikon charge, then enjoy yourself, but I have had copy for the D300S, and now the D500, and they have worked flawlessly. :)

Last edited:
Using a Neewer battery grip, for my D500, which works flawlessly. Unfortunately, the Neewer batteries don't work with the D500, but work fine with the D610.

I too may look at getting a grip but tbh, I find the D500 & 200-500 too heavy to shoot in any other orientation apart from landscape. I would get a grip for use when I have my 16-80 fitted.
I took the plunge last year - moving from the Tamron 150-600 and although the AF might be a touch slower - I find consistency much better and I get some cracking results. I would say though, that AF fine tuning is worthwhile. My results were a little soft until I performed an AF fine tune and now I'm getting closer to critical focus at 100%

I bought a Neewar copy off eBay and have been very happy with it when I have used it. :) £33, a fraction (less than 10%) of the cost Nikon try and get away with charging. :rolleyes: For some it is original Nikon only, and it is in theory better built, and if you can stomach Nikon charge, then enjoy yourself, but I have had copy for the D300S, and now the D500, and they have worked flawlessly. :)

Ditto the Meike version. :)

Using a Neewer battery grip, for my D500, which works flawlessly. Unfortunately, the Neewer batteries don't work with the D500, but work fine with the D610.

Thanks for your replies.
I’ve ordered the Neewer version - at that sort of money it’s worth a try.

I've got the neewer version and it's perfectly fine.

The batteries that come with it cause the camera to lock up when I shoot more than 6 shots on rapid fire. If I do small bursts of 2 or 3 then it's no issue. The remote works perfectly thou.

I've got the neewer version and it's perfectly fine.

The batteries that come with it cause the camera to lock up when I shoot more than 6 shots on rapid fire. If I do small bursts of 2 or 3 then it's no issue. The remote works perfectly thou.

Noted - I've ordered batteries from a different source who confirm they are fully compatible with the D500.

New toy today.
WDXlLWD.jpg

You'll love it, but might need to AF fine tune;)

GC

Hi GIL
at what length did you fine tune your 200-500 ? did you fine tune using the camera fine tune program? or a 3rd party
i also have the d500 and 200-500 and find its a great combo

Going to sort that in the morning whilst everyone is still in bed lol

Not sure how you've found with the D500 auto AF fine tune function but I'm a bit ambivalent about it. I'm still getting much more consistent results using "dot tune".

GC

Hi GIL
at what length did you fine tune your 200-500 ? did you fine tune using the camera fine tune program? or a 3rd party

I can't actually remember now - I'm gonna have to get back to you in the morning - my head is scrambled at the mo. I didn't use the AF fine tune because I wasn't getting consistent results when trying it several times. The fine tune setting wasn't always the same.

Last edited:
Not sure how you've found with the D500 auto AF fine tune function but I'm a bit ambivalent about it. I'm still getting much more consistent results using "dot tune".

GC
After watching some videos on it. Basically the way I've done it on other lenses is do the test 12 times loose the highest and lowest and get the middle figure. Seems yo have worked so far

Hi GIL

I shall be fine tuning mine at 500mm as that's the length I'll be using it at most of the time

Back