D500

Graham would you mind running a test for me please. Using the Tamron at 600mm on the D500 in AF-C single point and select and extreme corner AF point does it focus or just hunt back and forth?
Yes its hunts back and forth.

Yes its hunts back and forth.
Thanks for this, much appreciated. The reason for my question is that I'm running into a brick wall with Nikon, Sigma and Tamron about the use of the f6.3 lenses on the latest Nikon 153 point AF system :banghead:

Every single user that I've spoken to with either the Sigma or Tamron 150-600mm, or Tamron 100-400mm have confirmed this behaviour. Tamron's response was that the D850 doesn't focus with lenses with a max aperture smaller than f4 (they really filled me full of confidence with this response :rolleyes:) and sigma just say that their lenses should work fine. Nikon just respond by saying they don't test with 3rd party lenses, and when I asked them why these lenses work fine with the older 51 point system and not the newer supposedly better AF system asking if there's some reduced light gathering/AF point sensitivity they say that they don't release that kind of info to the public but they do try to make every new system better than the last.

Last edited:
i would not put a 3rd party lens on my nikon bodys that way you eliminate any 3rd party problems
my d500 will focus at f8 with the central focus point no problem and no hunting

Haha. I'll let you know after I fire up the laptop and see how I've got on.

I'm impressed immensely with the af. Like the layout of the buttons. The fov is strange at the moment through the veiw finder.
The balance is weird on the sigma 150 -600 I'm not sure if it's cause it has no grip on at the min.
Seems heavier than the d750 on the same combo.

Let's see what the verdict is later (y)

big difference when you put a grip on the body for balance

i would not put a 3rd party lens on my nikon bodys that way you eliminate any 3rd party problems
my d500 will focus at f8 with the central focus point no problem and no hunting
All my lenses will focus no problem using the centre point using lenses with a max aperture of f8 and lower. But as I've said before it's not a third party lens problem per se, it's Nikon's 153 point AF system that restricts the usable focus points earlier than previous generation AF systems.

with my 200-500 / 70-200 nikon of course it does not hunt at the 4 corners either
i would suggest its a tamron and sigma problem not the d500
you should try the nikon 200-500 for yourself

with my 200-500 / 70-200 nikon of course it does not hunt at the 4 corners either
i would suggest its a tamron and sigma problem not the d500
you should try the nikon 200-500 for yourself
I want to go lighter not heavier. I think you're missing the point though. The Tamron and Sigma are f6.3 lenses at the long end. Most cameras will allow use of all AF points with a max aperture up to f5.6 (which the Nikon 200-500mm obviously is), and at f8 the focus points that work are restricted. In some cases it's only the centre point that works at f8, and with some you get a few more. However, between f5.6 and f8 it's more of a grey area. f6.3 is only 1/3 stop less light than f5.6 and as such Nikon bodies prior to the D500 and D850 would still operate as though these lenses let as much light in as f5.6. However, the new system seems to be less sensitive/sends less light to the AF module meaning that f6.3 lenses behave like f6.9 (see page 99 of the D500 manual using f4 lenses with 1.7x TC).

So as I said before, it's not a Tamron/Sigma problem, those lenses let in the light of an f6.3 lens as they are designed to do so. Unfortunately the new 153 point AF system restricts the use with f6.3 lenses whereas previous generations didn't. I don't know whether Nikon have done this deliberately so that you are more inclined to stick with Nikon glass, or whether it is a fundamental design of the 153 point AF system.

try the sigma lens on a sigma camera see how good that outfit is
Tamron don't make camera's wonder why
these makers just need to raise there quality to be able to shoot at 5.6 if they want to use the new generation nikon bodys
you got your opinion and i have mine
as they say s***e in s***e out :LOL:
don't take any of it personally

its like windows is for one type of computer
and iOS is for apple computers

im with nikon with not catering for 3rd party len's on there bodys
it should be banned :LOL::LOL::LOL:

:nikon::nikon::nikon:

try the sigma lens on a sigma camera see how good that outfit is
Tamron don't make camera's wonder why
these makers just need to raise there quality to be able to shoot at 5.6 if they want to use the new generation nikon bodys
you got your opinion and i have mine
as they say s***e in s***e out :LOL:
don't take any of it personally

its like windows is for one type of computer
and iOS is for apple computers

im with nikon with not catering for 3rd party len's on there bodys
it should be banned :LOL::LOL::LOL:

:nikon::nikon::nikon:
Depends how you view it, I can still use my Tamron 150-600mm at 520mm with all points at which point it's sharper than the Nikon, 520-600mm with 37 points, save myself 400g in weight and a wedge of cash to boot :p But it still doesn't stop me being frustrated that previous Nikon bodies could use f6.3 lenses without issue and the new ones can't :(

And don't worry, I don't take any of it personally ;)

Hi
I've just received my new D500 and need a new card. I'm trying my hand at birds in flight, wildlife etc but I'm not that familiar with all the speed ratings on cards.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi
I've just received my new D500 and need a new card. I'm trying my hand at birds in flight, wildlife etc but I'm not that familiar with all the speed ratings on cards.

Like most things the faster the better, but make sure you check write speeds as well as read speeds as it's the write speeds that will affect how quickly images are transferred from your camera to the card. That being said, the buffer on the D500 is insane and if anyone ever reaches the limit of it they're bonkers ;) Sony are currently the only people making XQD cards at the mo, although Lexar are due to start shipping again imminently. Sony latest breed of XQD come in the slower M Series with a read/write speed of 400/150mb/s and G series which have read/write speed of 400/400mb/s. They're not cheap though :(

Like most things the faster the better, but make sure you check write speeds as well as read speeds as it's the write speeds that will affect how quickly images are transferred from your camera to the card. That being said, the buffer on the D500 is insane and if anyone ever reaches the limit of it they're bonkers ;) Sony are currently the only people making XQD cards at the mo, although Lexar are due to start shipping again imminently. Sony latest breed of XQD come in the slower M Series with a read/write speed of 400/150mb/s and G series which have read/write speed of 400/400mb/s. They're not cheap though :(

Thanks for the help. I’ll wait a while until the Lexar cards come out, prices may drop a bit I hope.

I’ve just put in my Sandisk SD card, 95mb/s and I tried the continuous shooting and I reckon it must have taken 40+ shots. First time I’ve ever tried this.

I use the same card and have never needed more

Thanks for the help. I’ll wait a while until the Lexar cards come out, prices may drop a bit I hope.

I’ve just put in my Sandisk SD card, 95mb/s and I tried the continuous shooting and I reckon it must have taken 40+ shots. First time I’ve ever tried this.

That's all I have used since having mine. They seem to work very well.

40+ is more than enough fur anyone surely? ;)
I use the same card and have never needed more

That's all I have used since having mine. They seem to work very well.
Don’t you guys use a backup?

Tbh i never have on the d750. I always used the second card slot as extra storage. How far do you go. :cool:
I always like a backup, whether it be cards on the camera or backup of files on the computer. The second card slot is redundant for me so why not use it as a backup and stop me worrying ;)

On my other cameras I have always had the 2nd card as backup.
On the D500 I do not mainly due to the fact I don't have a XQD card.
If the price comes down a little bit I will get one but I am reluctant to spend about £75 for one.

Last edited:
On my other cameras I have always had the 2nd card as backup.
On the D500 I do not mainly due to the fact I don't have a XQD card.
If the price comes down a little bit I will get one but I am reluctant to spend about £75 for one.

I couldn't find one that cheap. Haha
All the ones I found were over £100

I couldn't find one that cheap. Haha
All the ones I found were over £100
32gb ones are under £100 ;) TBH though, XQD aren't really any more expensive than the super fast UHS-II SD cards.

Thanks for this, much appreciated. The reason for my question is that I'm running into a brick wall with Nikon, Sigma and Tamron about the use of the f6.3 lenses on the latest Nikon 153 point AF system :banghead:

Every single user that I've spoken to with either the Sigma or Tamron 150-600mm, or Tamron 100-400mm have confirmed this behaviour. Tamron's response was that the D850 doesn't focus with lenses with a max aperture smaller than f4 (they really filled me full of confidence with this response :rolleyes:) and sigma just say that their lenses should work fine. Nikon just respond by saying they don't test with 3rd party lenses, and when I asked them why these lenses work fine with the older 51 point system and not the newer supposedly better AF system asking if there's some reduced light gathering/AF point sensitivity they say that they don't release that kind of info to the public but they do try to make every new system better than the last.

Toby, I've seen you ask this question a lot and I'm not sure if you've seen it but the manual does state that it's F4 or faster on the furthest points, so of course everyone notices the same behaviour as that is the specification of the camera. There is no fault and nothing faulty here.

This can be found in full here:-

http://nps.nikonimaging.com/technical_solutions/d500_tips/af/focus_points/#cross-sensors
Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 16.00.40.jpgScreen Shot 2018-06-06 at 16.00.50.jpgScreen Shot 2018-06-06 at 16.01.04.jpg

Toby, I've seen you ask this question a lot and I'm not sure if you've seen it but the manual does state that it's F4 or faster on the furthest points, so of course everyone notices the same behaviour as that is the specification of the camera. There is no fault and nothing faulty here.

This can be found in full here:-

http://nps.nikonimaging.com/technical_solutions/d500_tips/af/focus_points/#cross-sensors
View attachment 127992View attachment 127993View attachment 127994
Thanks, but unfortunately I believe you're reading the manual wrong. F4 lenses and faster can use all of the 153 AF points and you get the 99 cross type shown in green. With f5.6 lenses (as shown by f2.8 lenses with 2xTC, or f4 lenses with 1.4x TC) you get all the 153 AF points available, but the outer ones revert to line type and not cross type. It is only when you get to f6.9 ( as shown by the f4 lenses with 1.7x TC) that you get a reduction in the available AF points, down to 37 with 25 cross type.

So if you have such lenses as the 70-300mm f4.5-5.6, 200-500mm f5.6 you will find that you can use all of the 153 AF points (55 selectable) all of the time, as you would expect.The issue is that the Tamron and Sigma zoom lenses are f6.3 so sit between the f5.6 where all AF points work, and f6.9 where you only get the limited AF points working. As I have mentioned previously, the new Nikon 153 point AF system reduces the focus points for any lens over f5.6, even f6.3 which is only 1/3 stop over, whereas the older 51 point system still used all AF points with f6.3 lenses.

I am not saying that the 153 points system isn't working properly, just that it is disappointing that it doesn't work as well with f6.3 lenses as the older AF systems (y)

Last edited:
You may be right in that I'm reading it wrong as I was concentrating on the cross type sensors so was looking at the section where it mentions lenses slower than f4 and Non AF-S lenses which I would expect all 3rd party lenses to fall into.

Was just trying to suggest that constantly asking people to try the same thing, to get the same results, then bashing your head against the wall isn't good for your health and we don't want to see you losing any creative brain cells!! (y)

You may be right in that I'm reading it wrong as I was concentrating on the cross type sensors so was looking at the section where it mentions lenses slower than f4 and Non AF-S lenses which I would expect all 3rd party lenses to fall into.

Was just trying to suggest that constantly asking people to try the same thing, to get the same results, then bashing your head against the wall isn't good for your health and we don't want to see you losing any creative brain cells!! (y)
TBH the recent round of questions was due to wanting the new 100-400mm lens (either Tamron or Sigma) and I just wanted clarification whether or not they behaved the same as the 150-600mm's, ie reduced the AF points over a certain focal length. It does appear that it is f6.3 lenses in general, although Sigma are adamant their 100-400mm will work with all AF points at all focal lengths, but I'm pretty skeptical tbh based as no other f6.3 lens is (y)

just buy the nikon 200-500 5.6 you know you want to
all your problems will disappear :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hi

I’m very much in the same boat myself, lots of info around here which is great, good luck

have you used it ?
i thought use tis rather than a tc !
No, just calculated based on the resolution quoted in the manual. I don't tend to use crop modes in camera as it's no different to cropping in post. That being said, I have recently used it on the D850, but that was to reduce file size ;) I would only use a TC if I wanted more reach and needed to keep the resolution.

I have recently used it on the D850, but that was to reduce file size ;) I would only use a TC if I wanted more reach and needed to keep the resolution.

I've used it quite a few times on the D850 (at 19.1mp) and it has the added advantage of filling the frame with the AF points better. :)

I've used it quite a few times on the D850 (at 19.1mp) and it has the added advantage of filling the frame with the AF points better. :)
Strangely I thought the D850 was 20.1mp in DX mode the same as the D500 at full res but it's not. By my math it's actually 19.4mp, but either way still more than enough ;) It does fill the frame better for sure, it's just a shame you don't get the advantage you would of mirrorless in filling the viewfinder with the DX view (I know there's pros of not doing that though ;))

Back