D500

Although I bought the D500 to use purely with the Sigma 500mm f/4 Sport I couldn't resist the Amazon deal on the full frame version of the 70-300mm posted in the deals section last week. Went out with the camera and lens this morning and even though it's only 300mm I am suprised at how well it crops. The shots needed very little sharpening as well.

Stonechat (female)
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

DSC_5586_DxO

Egret

Last edited:
I've not got a D500 but someone turned up with one on a recent Glencoe landscape photography workshop.

I really liked it - touch screen AF in live view, histogram live view preview, awesome AF and brilliant handling and in the field perfectly usable dynamic range. To me this is the only well laid out crop camera I've experienced and if I ever did aviation or bird photography this would be right at the top of my shopping list.

I've come to the conclusion if you don't need big files and struggle sometimes with Dof (a crop camera is intrinsically easier to get a full front to back sharpness with) a 14-24, a lee SW150 kit and one of these would be totally amazing for an enthusiastic non pro landscape tog.

I've not got a D500 but someone turned up with one on a recent Glencoe landscape photography workshop.

I really liked it - touch screen AF in live view, histogram live view preview, awesome AF and brilliant handling and in the field perfectly usable dynamic range. To me this is the only well laid out crop camera I've experienced and if I ever did aviation or bird photography this would be right at the top of my shopping list.

I've come to the conclusion if you don't need big files and struggle sometimes with Dof (a crop camera is intrinsically easier to get a full front to back sharpness with) a 14-24, a lee SW150 kit and one of these would be totally amazing for an enthusiastic non pro landscape tog.

They’re great I agree. But the histogram on live view is pretty standard everywhere now isn’t it? Even my D800 has it.

They’re great I agree. But the histogram on live view is pretty standard everywhere now isn’t it? Even my D800 has it.

The d800 was the best full frame camera you could buy at the time and still is still a supreme camera. Those who dismiss the camera because it’s from 2012 do so at their peril. Yeah the d810 has better AF - slightly crisper and cleanser but the d800 was a game changing camera. Mine still kicks ass out in the field ;)

The d610 I had didn’t have that and I suspect anything d7200 or below d7xxx won’t have it.

The little beginner d5xxx or d3xxx won’t have the feature.

Big D500 fan here :)

Last edited:

I've paired my d500 up with a sigma 14-24 (awesome lens) and as a landscape tool I'm well pleased with it and have been singing its praises for a while.

I also have the d750 which can be used when 21mm equivalent fox is not wide enough or if doing Astro.

But honestly the lens hardly leaves the d500 it is such a usable camera with touch af etc as you say and the image quality is 99.9% of the d750, it's that good.

It's also the best action camera I've ever used and I've been though a canon 1d mk4 and 7d mk2. The af hardly misses and the buffer with the frame rate is top notch.

Last edited:
Have the Neewer grip, on my D500, which works flawlessly. Be aware, that at least in my case, Neewer compatible batteries caused issues with my D500, but work fine on my D610.

Hi, can I ask what kind of issues you had with the Neewer batteries in your D500? Thanks

I've paired my d500 up with a sigma 14-24 (awesome lens) and as a landscape tool I'm well pleased with it and have been singing its praises for a while.

I also have the d750 which can be used when 21mm equivalent fox is not wide enough or if doing Astro.

But honestly the lens hardly leaves the d500 it is such a usable camera with touch af etc as you say and the image quality is 99.9% of the d750, it's that good.

It's also the best action camera I've ever used and I've been though a canon 1d mk4 and 7d mk2. The af hardly misses and the buffer with the frame rate is top notch.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/sigma-14-24mm-f28-dg-hsm-or-art

Looks good. Tempted if I hadn't got the Nikkor one. On a crop camera it will be insanely good. Do you have filters for it?

Took the D500 and 70-300mm out this morning. Have to say the AF performance is a revelation after using Pentax gear for the last 10 years. Don't get me wrong, I still prefer my K-1 for 90% of the time but when it comes to moving stuff the Nikon is worlds apart. I need something longer than 300mm which is useable handheld now as these are massive crops.

DSC_6006_DxO

DSC_6036_DxO

DSC_5988_DxO

DSC_5951_DxO

DSC_5947_DxO

@Mike.P

I had it paired with Siggy 150-600. Always used it handheld.
Got some great results (my opinion obviously)

I had it paired with Siggy 150-600. Always used it handheld.
Got some great results (my opinion obviously)

I have the 150-600mm Sport for my Canon gear (which will be going up for sale shortly) but I am undecided between another sport or the 200-500mm. The S version is quite a bit heavier than the Contemporary but I found it a little sharper at 600mm. I have heard there is some sample variation with the 200-500mm.

Last edited:
plus i have the 1.7tc if req which the d500 handles no prob but you can only use the centre focus point but its not a big deal

anyone tried it yet, i have a firm rule, not to be the first ;)

Just updated both D500's with no issues, note the comments on Nikon UK if updating from Ver 1.12 or earlier.

GC

Using D500, for a few hours today, after updating. All seems to fine.

The one I bought here on the forum came with a Meike grip. I bought a couple of Ex-Pro batteries but noticed that they were draining very quickly so I turned the grip off and the problem seems to have stopped.

Anyone else had this problem with a grip or is it just mine (or just Meike). Presumably Nikons own grip is fine?

The one I bought here on the forum came with a Meike grip. I bought a couple of Ex-Pro batteries but noticed that they were draining very quickly so I turned the grip off and the problem seems to have stopped.

Anyone else had this problem with a grip or is it just mine (or just Meike). Presumably Nikons own grip is fine?
I had a Meike grip with my D500 but didn't notice and undue battery draining, though the D500 was the worst camera I had for low battery capacity and was the reason I bought the grip to add to capacity. :)

I have a Neewar grip and haven't noticed a difference in battery drain whether in the grip or in the body thankfully. :)

I had battery drain problems when the camera was new, but I think this camera seemed to have problems with new batteries, which needed a few uses to become consistently pretty good. The batteries don't seem to be as good as the batteries with the D300S, which is a little disappointing. In fact thinking about it, the D500 batteries don't seem to handle a lot of long exposures too well either. :thinking: :rolleyes:

Two updates came out today, for the D500 and a video game I play, and both seem to have had issues, the video game a lot more than the odd D500 problem so far, so I'm wary of updating either. For the D500 there is nothing in that update that fixes anything that affects me, so I may leave it and wait for the update to hopefully enable CFexpress compatibility which would include this update. When the CFepress update will happen is anyone's guess, as they have hinted at it for quite awhile. :rolleyes:

Although I bought the D500 to use purely with the Sigma 500mm f/4 Sport I couldn't resist the Amazon deal on the full frame version of the 70-300mm posted in the deals section last week. Went out with the camera and lens this morning and even though it's only 300mm I am suprised at how well it crops. The shots needed very little sharpening as well.

was it the af-p version you bought ?

I have a Neewar grip and haven't noticed a difference in battery drain whether in the grip or in the body thankfully. :)

I had battery drain problems when the camera was new, but I think this camera seemed to have problems with new batteries, which needed a few uses to become consistently pretty good. The batteries don't seem to be as good as the batteries with the D300S, which is a little disappointing. In fact thinking about it, the D500 batteries don't seem to handle a lot of long exposures too well either. :thinking: :rolleyes:

Two updates came out today, for the D500 and a video game I play, and both seem to have had issues, the video game a lot more than the odd D500 problem so far, so I'm wary of updating either. For the D500 there is nothing in that update that fixes anything that affects me, so I may leave it and wait for the update to hopefully enable CFexpress compatibility which would include this update. When the CFepress update will happen is anyone's guess, as they have hinted at it for quite awhile. :rolleyes:

I had a Meike grip with my D500 but didn't notice and undue battery draining, though the D500 was the worst camera I had for low battery capacity and was the reason I bought the grip to add to capacity. :)

I’ve heard a few ppl mention the poor batteries on the D500, now I’ve never really used anything else in anger, but Saturday, I was out in nature for a solid 8-9hrs and came home with a little under 900 shots and still had battery left, only a little but enough to download all pics and then turned it off, is that bad ?

I’ve heard a few ppl mention the poor batteries on the D500, now I’ve never really used anything else in anger, but Saturday, I was out in nature for a solid 8-9hrs and came home with a little under 900 shots and still had battery left, only a little but enough to download all pics and then turned it off, is that bad ?
No it isn't 'bad' but before mine went back to Nikon I was getting 350-500 shots per cycle and that is bad for a DSLR.

No it isn't 'bad' but before mine went back to Nikon I was getting 350-500 shots per cycle and that is bad for a DSLR.
ah, i understand now (y)

whats the new firmware update suppose to do ?

From the Nikon website (hope it helps!)

"Changes from 'C' firmware 1.15 to 1.20
  • The camera can now connect via Wi-Fi to devices running SnapBridge. For more information, see the “Addendum to the User’s Manual” in which this feature is described. Before using this feature, upgrade to the following version of the app:
    • - SnapBridge version 2.5.4 or later
  • • Fixed the following issues:
    • - The camera sometimes had trouble focusing on subjects in the focus points at the edges of the frame.
    • - The camera would sometimes stop responding during shooting in continuous high-speed (CH) release mode.
    • - The camera would sometimes not turn off after the power switch was rotated to “OFF”.

From the Nikon website (hope it helps!)

"Changes from 'C' firmware 1.15 to 1.20
  • The camera can now connect via Wi-Fi to devices running SnapBridge. For more information, see the “Addendum to the User’s Manual” in which this feature is described. Before using this feature, upgrade to the following version of the app:
    • - SnapBridge version 2.5.4 or later
  • • Fixed the following issues:
    • - The camera sometimes had trouble focusing on subjects in the focus points at the edges of the frame.
    • - The camera would sometimes stop responding during shooting in continuous high-speed (CH) release mode.
    • - The camera would sometimes not turn off after the power switch was rotated to “OFF”.
i thought it already connected through wifi ?? when you connect to snap ridge, I get a pop up saying "turning on wifi" is it bluetooth ?

If this update fixes the connection problem then that will be a nice update as mine has never worked

If it’s the grip with remote..they are always paired. Therefore always on and draining.
When I had one, I took it of the camera when wasn’t using it.

Back