D500

No they didn't... Nikon has never used dual processors before.

Quoted from the Nikon D5 product page: "For the first time in a Nikon DSLR, a second processor is dedicated solely to autofocus operation and computing"

While the D500 also uses Multicam 20K and expeed 5, there is no *current* production information stating it uses a second dedicated processor. And none that says it doesn't, but I'd be surprised they would not tout that if it had it... they're touting the dual XQD slots...

BTW, the dual XQD slots also accept SD cards.... thats pretty cool.
I thought with the D5 you could choose whether to have dual XQD or dual SD, and with the D500 it has one XQD and one SD? If the XQD can be used for SD too why make the D5's that are SD only?

I thought with the D5 you could choose whether to have dual XQD or dual SD, and with the D500 it has one XQD and one SD? If the XQD can be used for SD too why make the D5's that are SD only?
They are either xqd or compact flash

See Nikon Rumours saying launch of the D500 delayed from mid March until the end of April now. No reasons why except that they cant meet demand.

Yep, everything says it's just down to not being able to meet demand. I find this very odd, why not just ship to those that ordered first and then ship out the rest later rather than making everyone wait?

Looks like there is an issue with the exif on at least some of Keith Ladzinski's photos ... some purporting to be at ISO 6400 are actually showing ISO 1600!

Flickr Discussion

Looks like there is an issue with the exif on at least some of Keith Ladzinski's photos ... some purporting to be at ISO 6400 are actually showing ISO 1600!

Flickr Discussion

I looked at a few of the d500 pics on his website and they all have the same exif details when using http://regex.info/exif.cgi Jeffrey's Exif Viewer

Camera: Nikon D500: Date: November 19, 2015 7:36:58AM (timezone not specified) :Lens: 10 mm :(Max aperture f/3.5) Exposure: Manual exposure, 1/125 sec, f/16, ISO 1600 Flash: none

Hope no one is pulling a fast one :rolleyes: The photo's are all taken under different conditions they must be different. Would not like to bet on what they should be though .........

I looked at a few of the d500 pics on his website and they all have the same exif details when using http://regex.info/exif.cgi Jeffrey's Exif Viewer

Camera: Nikon D500: Date: November 19, 2015 7:36:58AM (timezone not specified) :Lens: 10 mm :(Max aperture f/3.5) Exposure: Manual exposure, 1/125 sec, f/16, ISO 1600 Flash: none

Hope no one is pulling a fast one :rolleyes: The photo's are all taken under different conditions they must be different. Would not like to bet on what they should be though .........

One would assume that the photographer has seen the photos as reproduced and had the opportunity to note the error! :thinking:

Flickr also not matching against labels on this new album, shouldn't happen for a large global company.

Yep, everything says it's just down to not being able to meet demand. I find this very odd, why not just ship to those that ordered first and then ship out the rest later rather than making everyone wait?
Let's hope they are fixing something. 6 weeks delay isn't slight. I'd be happy if they are just showing caution after the last few 'successful' launches

In the US there are launch events scheduled to take place in the next few days apparently, seems odd if it's not going to be released until the end of April ... something isn't right!

Maybe they've found out it's reporting the wrong ISO in the EXIF data.............. :coat:

I refuse to believe that Nikon have underestimated demand for this camera. If they went to the effort to develop and produce it, they must have believed it would sell and have significant research to indicate (pent up) demand, after all these years. Of course everyone here knows the price will drop a few short months down the line regardless. I'll only accept that they are scared of 'entrepreneurs' reselling on the black market at a significant mark up, which means they are protecting us, the loyal consumer. But I must be dreaming.

I refuse to believe that Nikon have underestimated demand for this camera. If they went to the effort to develop and produce it, they must have believed it would sell and have significant research to indicate (pent up) demand, after all these years. Of course everyone here knows the price will drop a few short months down the line regardless. I'll only accept that they are scared of 'entrepreneurs' reselling on the black market at a significant mark up, which means they are protecting us, the loyal consumer. But I must be dreaming.

Thom Hogan presents a different view on Nikon Rumours ... related to the distribution network in the US and NPS demand (alleged to be high), creating legal issues if demand outstrips supply.

Yep that's also believable but would still mean they didn't produce enough. They know how many NPS members they have and what they shoot with. How can you over produce one of the most anticipated cameras in the last few years? Nikon 1's excluded because no one asked for them.

Last edited:
There could be a number of reasons and at the moment the only thing that we know for sure is that it's another Nikon fiasco!

I still hope it's caution on behalf of quality control. I have a pretty decent Nikon 1 collection by the way.

Yep that's also believable but would still mean they didn't produce enough. They know how many NPS members they have and what they shoot with. How can you over produce one of the most anticipated cameras in the last few years? Nikon 1's excluded because no one asked for them.

Possibly, I think Nikon have lost a trick many people leaped to the Full Frame world because of the gap left after the D300. I wonder how many people will go back down to the DX format. Time will tell I guess but I would be more inclined to go for D5.

They could maybe have underestimated demand, because they didn't bring a D400 out because they felt there wasn't enough demand, but, they will have probably had information on the demand for the 7DII, and so will have had an idea of numbers.

Whatever the problem, I would rather they took their time and got things right. I will probably have to wait a bit longer for the grey importers to get stock. Hopefully they will get stock pretty soon after release (whenever that is/was) as they are closer to the source. ;)

Well first reports I've seen coming from an event day in the US are very good for this camera ... seems ISO is incredible and the D500 shares exactly the same AF processors as the D5 and just when I had almost talked myself out of it! :confused:

Well first reports I've seen coming from an event day in the US are very good for this camera ... seems ISO is incredible and the D500 shares exactly the same AF processors as the D5 and just when I had almost talked myself out of it! :confused:

Damm....:mad:

Things are looking optimistic, but from the visitors to the different events I've read about so far, no one has been able to use their own memory cards and take images away. As I always say, LCD screens are liars. At least until proved wrong. ;)

Things are looking optimistic, but from the visitors to the different events I've read about so far, no one has been able to use their own memory cards and take images away. As I always say, LCD screens are liars. At least until proved wrong. ;)

I guess it's reasonable not to allow images to be posted by all and sundry prior to the release ... as you say, only time will tell :)

The d5 looks amazing but that's kind of expected. The d500 is really exciting though. Really like the look of this thing. If my d3 wasn't worth £3.50 I'd be swapping straight to a d500 I think.

Not may posts here for awhile, so here goes. Pace yourself. ;) :LOL:

I went to the Photography Show in Birmingham today with the aim of seeing the D500 for myself. To save some cash (for the D500 ;-)) I left early at 5am and got back at 10pm. :-/

Anyway, I got there and Nikon had a stage demoing stuff, and a raised platform with cameras attached to their big zoom lenses, but more importantly a counter with all the Nikon cameras including 2x D500 and 2x D5’s and a load of lenses. Memory card slots taped up, and running in the Demo mode as some people found at other events.

There were normally 3-4 people waiting to try the D500 all throughout the day, so I went back a number of times checking stuff. So here’s random stuff from the day.

The Grip. The grip is bigger that the D300S as people have said. Whereas the tips of my fingers hook on to the grip on the D300S and easily touch the body, the D500 grip depth seemed to go to my 2 knuckle and tips of my fingers just about touched the body. It felt similar to what the 7D felt like many years ago when I picked one up, it filled my hand. Not uncomfortable, just different. There was a small woman next to me on the last visit, and she felt it was too large for her, so if you have very small hands, try before you buy if you can. I had my D300s with me btw to directly compare how it felt, though on each of the say half a dozen visits, I didn’t have too long to try stuff.

The first Demo which went through some of the features of the D500 and D5. In one of the slides it said ‘Gapless microlens and colourfilter design with increased sensitivity per sensor pixel unit’ And ‘New, optimised pixel structure ensures maximum dynamic range’. May that is why people are seeing ISO improvements. And speaking of high ISO….

High ISO. I didn’t take pictures at different ISOs with each to compare, as we don’t yet know what jiggery pokery is going on with files and LCD screens. I asked the chap who did one of the D500 demo’s on the stage what he thought was the D500 equivalent of ISO D300S at ISO 3200. I said without any files for anyone to compare yet, he was one of the few to know the difference.

He said maybe ISO 104k match D300S ISO3200. I think he understood the question, and he said it to me and about half a dozen people around me. I think I could live with that as an improvement. He did quickly take a pic at ISO 104k and it looked a bit more desaturated than my D300s image, but like I say there are to many different variable to compare on the back of the screen, so I didn’t bother. And I didn’t really have the time either.

So he seemed very positive, as you would expect, but if he wasn’t sure I would have expected him to hide behind the ‘firmware not ready‘ party line, but he didn’t. I asked the chap about Noise Reduction being applied after the first ‘tech’ demo, before the 2 encounter above, and he said there was Noise Reduction being applied above ISO 12000 to RAWs and Jpegs, but you could change the intensity or turn it off on the RAW files. Not sure he understood that question, or maybe that was the right answer. Time will tell. :-/

I put all the focus points on and to see them light up at the edge of the frame was great. It didn’t seem appreciably faster to me (but that may be just me not concentrating). I had the 16-80mm which I was most interested in, but other lenses were the 24-70mm, 70-200mm II and I think there was another one, but not sure which. He did mention in the spec tech demo that using multiple focus point groups, (can’t remember the numbers of them) may slow down the AF as they have to calculate more and use more processing power.

The Viewfinder seemed a bit bigger, but I can’t speak of if it is a lot brighter as they had all f2.8 lenses or better, and I don’t have one my D300S to compare to. The colour of the information has changed from green to white with a slight bluish tint. The EXP Comp info has moved to the side (I think, it has been a long day) lol

The LCD. I’m not too keen on the articulating screen as the movement seems so limited to the other Nikon swivel screens. The touch screen worked well and was very nippy.

I asked one of the Nikon reps about the Virtual Horizon feature in the D500, hoping that it had left/right tilt (like the D300S) and forward and background tilt. He said it didn’t have any, and I would have to get one of the bubble levels that go into the hotshoe. L Not believing that they would have got rid of the feature completely, even if they didn’t improve it, I went to look for it in the menu. Lo and behold the Virtual Horizon was there. He said, “Oh, I’ve never seen that before”. lol

It showed left/right unevenness, but when it tilts forward or backward a distorting rectangle appears indicate how far the tilt forward/backward was. It is very hard to describe but makes sense when you see it. So it can show you tilt left/right and forward/backward.

It looks like you can input more IPTC info into the Meta data.

All the buttons down the left hand side on the rear can light up in the dark. The WB/Meter/Mode/Quality buttons also light up. The D5 has four extra buttons on the back below a small extra LCD screen which also light up.

The D500 is classed as professional model and can be used to qualify for NPS and Nikon Pro User schemes, though may need other ‘pro’ equipment to actually qualify.

There was something else I think I asked but it has gone right out of my head. It may come back to me, it may not, it has been a very long day, and the memory is going with age anyway. Lol

They didn’t have any brochures which I found surprising at such a big show.

And surprising bit of info dropped, did you know that the D5300 is the best selling DSLR ever? I would have though one of the D3*** series if it was any Nikon that was the best seller.

I can’t think of anything else atm.

Oh, and there was a Comic con at the same venue and we had a walk through of many Storm Troopers, other Star Wars characters, including a Wookie, and various other Sci Fi characters. Lol

Last edited:
Talking to pro photographer, who presently runs a D4s, and has had the opportunity to play with both the D5 and D500 reckons
that the high !SO capabilities of both blow the D4s away, these are at levels most of us are unlikly to use but nice to have.
Made me rethink whether I do want a D500 now :thinking:, I presently use a D7100 and am impressed with that, test comes later today
as I work at a local indoor show which my D300 just about coped with a couple of years ago
Won't be diving straight into buying the D500 but it may be on the cards later in the year if what has been said is correct, only
thing I don't like is the lack of onboard flash but as I rarely use it I can live with that

Great write up thanks redhed17, I bet your shattered after that day out!

Thanks for the info, very little about on the interewebs at present

Yeah I've been wondering why there's been nothing about it since the announcement back in Jan. Has nobody seen one since?? I guess press samples haven't been released yet, but wonder when they will.

Yeah I've been wondering why there's been nothing about it since the announcement back in Jan. Has nobody seen one since?? I guess press samples haven't been released yet, but wonder when they will.
I think there has been a lot of stuff on sites that have a larger number of US members, as there have been events all over America showing off the D500 and D5 for 3-4 weeks. This show is the first showing here afaik, which is very poor from Nikon imho. And because of the delay there has been a bit of a information vacuum from Nikon.

I slept for 11 hours after yesterday's excursion btw. Lol

@redhed17 nice report tks.

I'm going tomorrow, hope to get my hands on the d500 then :). A friend of mine a NPS member saw the D5/500 a few weeks back, sounded like the US public presentations, but by invite only. Odd though, because you might thought Nikon would want to sell as many units as possible.

Last edited:
I am genuinely exited about this camera as I've been holding off on an upgrade to the D7200. I currently use a D5100 so it's a great upgrade for me.

Glad that some of you have found my experience useful. :)

One thing I did forget, is that the AF Fine Tune should be done at 30x the Focal Length of the lens. I know what you are thinking, what about zoom lenses? ;) Well I went to ask the chap, but I heard another fellow ask the Nikon chap, and the reply was you choose the middle of the focal range, or choose your most used focal length. No multiple focal length measurements on a lens.

Back