D500

its sad that somebody like Nikon would expect everybody to use Android, I'm an IOS user also and was disappointed that its still in development, i do have android phones for Work but that's it i try not to use them with a passion as IOS is where i am. I suppose today as the D500 arrives i,ll dust of the Xperia Z2 and give it a whirl...

its sad that somebody like Nikon would expect everybody to use Android, I'm an IOS user also and was disappointed that its still in development, i do have android phones for Work but that's it i try not to use them with a passion as IOS is where i am. I suppose today as the D500 arrives i,ll dust of the Xperia Z2 and give it a whirl...
You're not missing much, as it's badly implemented anyway. Android users are normally the ones that have to wait on good apps.

Makes a change as it seemed to be iOS first and the rest later at some point, if ever. :rolleyes: You cater to majority first which is Android devices. They should have had all versions ready to go together of course. ;)

As wilt has said though, it is poorly implemented atm, and will hopefully improve for Android users. iOS may feel the benefit of that by getting the software to work properly from the start.

Guys I hear wonderful things about focal pro software which I believe has the d5 and d500 in the next few weeks . Anybody use it or used it. Seems like a rock solid way to get your lens spot on over the cameras own way.... Might buy it once d500 get added

Guys I hear wonderful things about focal pro software which I believe has the d5 and d500 in the next few weeks . Anybody use it or used it. Seems like a rock solid way to get your lens spot on over the cameras own way.... Might buy it once d500 get added
Works for me on the D7200 & D810 :)

Easy enough to do ? Might get it then at least then I know there kinda spot on
Very easy really, the software does it all for you except you need to manually adjust +/- settings when prompted ... I recommend using the Focal target rather than printing one off and you MUST do the adjustments in good light.

when you say focal Target Gramps what do you mean, i was going to print off the circle thingy they use... is it something i print off or where do i get it, or are you meaning just something i use in the house as the prime target ?

I have a bright kitchen i was going to pop it on the wall and also fire the bed side lamp at the target which is also bright so its well lit ? what do you use ?

thanks

when you say focal Target Gramps what do you mean, i was going to print off the circle thingy they use... is it something i print off or where do i get it, or are you meaning just something i use in the house as the prime target ?

I have a bright kitchen i was going to pop it on the wall and also fire the bed side lamp at the target which is also bright so its well lit ? what do you use ?

thanks
Reikan sell targets too http://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/index.php/store/#!/Hard-Targets/c/9751214/offset=0&sort=normal - I've found the software useful when needed. fwiw I use 2 continuous studio lights to illuminate the target. Speaking of which I've not had issues when printing my own, but do use an inkjet on plain paper - also measure the reference length carefully and enter it into the software (I'm at work so can't look up exactly where this is entered) - the reference length bar is printed on the target btw. The s/w uses this to evaluate distance to target I believe.

cool i,l print it then, i do have a colour laser so i should be ok. just need to wait now for the software to be updated
thanks

ahh ok i,ll print it on my Dads Epson then. thanks

The Focal target is obviously printed 100% correctly but in addition it's printed on a type of board so no 'give' like a piece of paper, that was important to me to ensure everything was spot-on when doing the adjustments. :)

Gramps which size then large or normal ? i want to do 16mm lens and also 600mm, but the 600mm may need me to be outside because according to calc i need to be 14m away

Gramps which size then large or normal ? i want to do 16mm lens and also 600mm, but the 600mm may need me to be outside because according to calc i need to be 14m away

I've used the normal for everything from 70-500mm and it should be fine for16mm.

The D7200 beats it on overall score and just about everything,even the ISO !. How does a 3 year old camera with smaller pixels have a better ISO rating !

But overall the d500 may still beat it side by side because of the processing, noise algorithms etc. It was hardly ever going to be a huge leap in terms of iq.

The hype for the D500 appears to be in the AF, though I haven't seen a great deal of evidence from the limited offerings I've come across ... most image examples I've seen from those with a D500 tend to indicate user ability rather than necessarily camera ability :)

Get a d700 to accompany the d7200 and if like me your just an enthusiast...sorted (budget wise I mean), I can't see me getting the d500 or a d810 soon according to swmbo..

Official complaint action against Nikon for false advertising re: wi-fi :

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2150261239/d500-owner-formally-accuses-nikon-of-false-advertising

http://www.dslrbodies.com/cameras/the-d5d500-blog/the-ios-problem.html

The D7200 beats it on overall score and just about everything,even the ISO !. How does a 3 year old camera with smaller pixels have a better ISO rating !

Are you talking about low ISO or high ISO? I agree with fewer pixels, and longer development time, the D500 sensor should have improved on the D7200 sensor, however the D500 seems to be slightly down on the D7200 below ISO 400, and slightly better above. The D500 seems to have Sports and Wildlife users at the forefront of its development, slightly better high ISO performance added to the AF and the increased buffer performance may be benefits people want at the sacrifice for ultimate low ISO image quality. You pays your money etc.... ;)

The hype for the D500 appears to be in the AF, though I haven't seen a great deal of evidence from the limited offerings I've come across ... most image examples I've seen from those with a D500 tend to indicate user ability rather than necessarily camera ability :)

I wouldn't call it hype, as that has negative connotations of pushing something that may not be as good as it is. ;) The AF in the D500 is amazing. :) If you need very fast AF, or low light focusing in a crop sensor camera, the D500 is way ahead of anything else atm imho. It has the same AF as the top of the range D5, the Canon 7DII does not share the same AF as the 1DX, never mind the 1DX II.:thinking: It also has the 10fps and large buffer to go with it, even with relatively slow cards compared to the fastest SD and XQD cards.

Get a d700 to accompany the d7200 and if like me your just an enthusiast...sorted (budget wise I mean), I can't see me getting the d500 or a d810 soon according to swmbo..

If anyone doesn't need any of the positive attributes of the D500 then they would probably have D7*** cameras already, and/or a FF camera too. I want one camera that can do a bit of everything, and I don't want FF, so I'm very happy with the D500. :D

I'm just missing some cheap extra batteries. :( :rolleyes:

I'll admit it, i'm envious :sulk:

... the Canon 7DII does not share the same AF as the 1DX, never mind the 1DX II...
Well, of course it wouldn't have the same AF system as the 1DX II, since it was released well in advance. Nikon have been very clever (or perhaps lucky) here in being able to release the D5 and D500 simultaneously.

But saying that the 7D II doesn't share the same AF as the 1DX implies that it is inferior, whereas the reality is that it is just different - inferior in some respects but definitely superior in others. Whether the total package is "better" in the 7D II or 1DX depends on what you're using it for.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Comparisons/Canon-EOS-7D-II-1D-X-5D-III-AF-Comparison.aspx

Well, of course it wouldn't have the same AF system as the 1DX II, since it was released well in advance. Nikon have been very clever (or perhaps lucky) here in being able to release the D5 and D500 simultaneously.
Well any new AF has to be in one camera (or in this case with Nikon two) first. Maybe the 7DII was the new AF that the 1DXII was catching up with. ;)

But saying that the 7D II doesn't share the same AF as the 1DX implies that it is inferior, whereas the reality is that it is just different - inferior in some respects but definitely superior in others. Whether the total package is "better" in the 7D II or 1DX depends on what you're using it for.
I think you know what I was trying to say, that one of the benefits of the D500 over the D7*** range may not be ultimate image quality, but there are other aspects to the camera, such as the AF, which some may appreciate more. Sorry if I used the difference between the top of the range Canon Crop and FF cameras AF as a bad example of something similar to Nikon. Thanks for pointing out my error. :)

Sorry for the large image but wanted to show a SOOC image from the d500 with 500mm f4 @ 1600 ISO. No in camera or PP NR. Not saying it's a great photo, just to show that higher ISO (well higher than I'd have been happy with on my d7200) is looking good imo. Could easily reduce the noise in the BG in post, but the bird looks to have kept a lot of the feather detail.

D500 1600 ISO by Chris Cotton, on Flickr

I've now had it for a month, and I'm liking it much more than my D7100 (which, as you predicted, is now up for sale!).. Still getting used to the different modes for focus tracking though - group is still a little confusing. Seems to work a lot better with my Tamron 150-600mm lens as well. I have a motorsport event coming up soon, which I've done before, so that'll be a good test. This time I'll have the 150-600, and also the Tamron 24-70 - neither of which I had last time. Will be interesting to see what difference that will make!

i went Birding with mine and had a few out of focus using group, but i think with me using backbitten AF also i may have forgotten and just pressed it. I wasn't that happy with the Sigma 600 and went home and ran AF fine tune added a +2 and then i went back, all seemed sharper then, but coming from a Sony A7Rii i was expecting too much in sharpness as the sony is very sharp at 43meg...

I did a running race the next day and shot off over 150 photos and everyone was in focus amazing kinda 6th sense focusing and i went back to half press shutter, but i mainly used my 18-140.
Sunday I'm at caldwell park watching the Bike racing so i,ll put the 600 through its paces again, I've also bought the hard Targets for the Focal pro software which I'm just waiting for them to update, so i can make the lens as sharp as poss at 600.

heres one taken with the 18-140..sorry for the size :)
Any body know what bee wasp fly thing that is. looks like a weird Bluebootlebeewasp thing

DSC_0637 by tobamory, on Flickr

Last edited:
Guys when shooting Birds perched etc do you use Mirror up mode for super sharpness or still normal mirror down.
thanks

Guys when shooting Birds perched etc do you use Mirror up mode for super sharpness or still normal mirror down.
thanks

I just use the normal mirror down. Depends on the light/shutter speed/VR on or off etc.

whats the red format icon on the rear mean, i presume we can format a card without having to enter the menus ? I'm at work so don't have book with me, but whats the shortcut if so ?
thanks

whats the red format icon on the rear mean, i presume we can format a card without having to enter the menus ? I'm at work so don't have book with me, but whats the shortcut if so ?
thanks
If you hold the Format button on the back, and ISO button on top next to the Shutter button at the same time it will flash 'For', and at that point you can choose which memory card to format with the rear dial, and you press both buttons again to format. :)

thanks

You've always been able to do that on Nikon bodies, normally the delete button and and the metering button on the top pressed simultaneously.
Having thought long and hard and handled a D500 I have decided not to go for it, don't need tilt/shift screen, would like to keep an onboard flash and the rest it offers just
doesn't warrant the price over a D7200 as a 2nd body, so I think \I'll wait and see where Nikon go next

Are you talking about low ISO or high ISO? I agree with fewer pixels, and longer development time, the D500 sensor should have improved on the D7200 sensor, however the D500 seems to be slightly down on the D7200 below ISO 400, and slightly better above. The D500 seems to have Sports and Wildlife users at the forefront of its development, slightly better high ISO performance added to the AF and the increased buffer performance may be benefits people want at the sacrifice for ultimate low ISO image quality. You pays your money etc.... ;)
Where are you seeing noise performance at different ISO? I can see DR improves on the D500 over the D7200 after 400 ISO, but not noise. SNR is pretty equal on both, with the D7200 just pipping it at base.

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed by the new Nikon scores for the D5 and D500. Do we know if they're using their own sensors now, or still Sony? Is this a sign of things to come?

Where are you seeing noise performance at different ISO? I can see DR improves on the D500 over the D7200 after 400 ISO, but not noise. SNR is pretty equal on both, with the D7200 just pipping it at base.
You're right. Not had my eye on the ball for the last week or two. :( :rolleyes:

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed by the new Nikon scores for the D5 and D500. Do we know if they're using their own sensors now, or still Sony? Is this a sign of things to come?

A lot have people, myself included, have been very happy with the images they were getting before, and hopefully still, after the DxO testing. ;) I would have expected a marked improvement over the D7200 sensor with less pixels and longer time in development, but that hasn't been the case, whether that is because it is a Nikon or Sony sensor I don't know. There seemed to be speculation about who made the sensor before the camera came out, though that was during the delay when there was not much solid information to discuss, :rolleyes: I haven't seen any discussions about it since.

You're right. Not had my eye on the ball for the last week or two. :( :rolleyes:

I have many spells like that ;)

A lot have people, myself included, have been very happy with the images they were getting before, and hopefully still, after the DxO testing. ;) I would have expected a marked improvement over the D7200 sensor with less pixels and longer time in development, but that hasn't been the case, whether that is because it is a Nikon or Sony sensor I don't know. There seemed to be speculation about who made the sensor before the camera came out, though that was during the delay when there was not much solid information to discuss, :rolleyes: I haven't seen any discussions about it since.

No I agree, the images are extremely good, and we get a bit carried away with scores etc when it's the overall performance that matters most. That being said, with all technology I expect it to be better than before as that is what we have become accustomed to (y)

Back