D500

That's a great shot Dave! I'm very jealous! I'm finding that the noise on the d500 is quite prominant but I've still not had time to compare it to my d7200. To be fair I've had in camera NR turned off completely...do you know if you have NR on or not?

I am shooting Raw Chris - I don't think the NR has any effect on RAW - only on JPG (I could be wrong though).

Either way - I have it turned off as I would rather deal with noise in post processing.

The owl was quite close - so again minimal cropping which helps with noise.

Well I've taken the plunge so any issues I'm going to be blaming @Dave Semmens :D

Fingers crossed then :)

Just wait until you lock on to a bird in flight - you will fall in love ;)

It is so configurable as well - I have the camera set to group focus with back button focussing but have programmed one of the front buttons to single point + focus.

I can track a bird then if it lands change to single point focus at the press of a button.

Its far more than just the new focusing and FPS that makes me like it.

Fingers crossed then :)

Just wait until you lock on to a bird in flight - you will fall in love ;)

It is so configurable as well - I have the camera set to group focus with back button focussing but have programmed one of the front buttons to single point + focus.

I can track a bird then if it lands change to single point focus at the press of a button.

Its far more than just the new focusing and FPS that makes me like it.

I'm definitely not making the most of mine yet, I wouldn't even know how you do that!! I've never used BBF but may have to try if that would allow me to do what you do (hate having to swap between group and single point).

With regards to noise, I thought it would affect raw too but not sure. If you don't have to crop much it's definitely a help, but I'm a bit underwhelmed by the noise, I expected better than I've seen from my own photos so far, though maybe I was always expecting too much.

@Dave Semmens Thank you for your reply, all very interesting. Certainly makes it a harder decision when I come to upgrade the D610. Many thanks

I'm definitely not making the most of mine yet, I wouldn't even know how you do that!! I've never used BBF but may have to try if that would allow me to do what you do (hate having to swap between group and single point).

With regards to noise, I thought it would affect raw too but not sure. If you don't have to crop much it's definitely a help, but I'm a bit underwhelmed by the noise, I expected better than I've seen from my own photos so far, though maybe I was always expecting too much.

The idea with RAW is that you will have to process them to get a usable output. So I don't think any noise reduction would be applied as it would be better done selectively by the user when processing.

Also worth trying different noise reduction - Google Nik Dfine2 is free and works well even if you don't use all its features.

I will always try to reduce ISO when taking a shot. If the subject is perched then I would shoot a few shots then reduce shutter speed and shoot a few more then repeat again.

At home I would use the lowest shutter speed (and ISO as I use auto ISO) version that had remained sharp after shutter speed reduction. Not much use on a moving subject though.

Dave.

ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) also provides some facility to sharpen and adjust noise and if used carefully can work quite well.

The idea with RAW is that you will have to process them to get a usable output. So I don't think any noise reduction would be applied as it would be better done selectively by the user when processing.

Also worth trying different noise reduction - Google Nik Dfine2 is free and works well even if you don't use all its features.

I will always try to reduce ISO when taking a shot. If the subject is perched then I would shoot a few shots then reduce shutter speed and shoot a few more then repeat again.

At home I would use the lowest shutter speed (and ISO as I use auto ISO) version that had remained sharp after shutter speed reduction. Not much use on a moving subject though.

Dave.

I'll have a look at dfine 2 thanks. I'm also talking about low ISO, 320, 400 etc. I'll have a look when I get home later.

ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) also provides some facility to sharpen and adjust noise and if used carefully can work quite well.

Yes I use ACR but you can't selectively reduce noise in ACR can you?

Hi all, I'm looking for some help / advice. I have a 2933x XQD card in the camera but the buffer indicator is only showing 29 shots. I have it set to raw only, not raw+jpeg and iso is at 400.
Can't find anything relevant in the manual and I wondered if I might be missing something? Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Lee.

You have it set to RAW, but 14bit or 12bit? Compressed or not? If it is compressed, lossy or lossless? Not that it should matter with that card, you should get the 200 shot buffer whatever the setting afaik, only the buffer number will change in the viewfinder.

I have mine set to 12bit lossless compressed, and it says r37 in the viewfinder for shots remaining in the buffer. Have the same card so have not had any buffer problems. And I don't intend to keep my finger on the shutter button to test it out. ;) :LOL:

You have it set to RAW, but 14bit or 12bit? Compressed or not? If it is compressed, lossy or lossless? Not that it should matter with that card, you should get the 200 shot buffer whatever the setting afaik, only the buffer number will change in the viewfinder.

I have mine set to 12bit lossless compressed, and it says r37 in the viewfinder for shots remaining in the buffer. Have the same card so have not had any buffer problems. And I don't intend to keep my finger on the shutter button to test it out. ;) :LOL:

I have it set to 14 bit lossless. I've since read that it shows r29 but will actually fire off 200 frames? I can't see myself trying it out anytime soon though!

Oh my gosh, this is a revelation! Stupidly I had no idea about the brushes and things at the top! I did all my NR with multiple layers in PS, I didn't know you could just use raw...how stupid of me!!!

It's just one option Chris, I wouldn't see it as the only way :)

Well I've taken the plunge so any issues I'm going to be blaming @Dave Semmens :D

Don't think you regret it, my bif skills are crap. I can remember trying to get some Puffins in flight last year with my D810 lets just say the results wasn't good. Tried the same this year and you can see the results in my post earlier, would like to think to all done to me being superb at bif but I know that's the case.
Used the D500 at a local mx event, using the 24-120 f4 tried a series of about 12 shots of a bike coming strait towards me at 30-40 mph approx 40 feet away and all where in focus.
Out my 810 and 7200 if I had to keep just one camera it would be the D500. Just got to make up my mind whether to keep the the 810 or the 7200 alongside the 500 now.

Last edited:
New firmware available C 1.02 - Just had an email from Nikon.

Addressed an issue that sometimes caused errors with certain UHS-II SD memory cards. As we were able to confirm that these were read errors arising not in the camera but in the cards themselves, we addressed the issue with a work-around that switches temporarily to UHS-I mode when a card-side error occurs in UHS-II mode. The camera switches back to UHS-II mode when turned off and then on again or when the standby timer restarts. Card-side read errors may still occur after the update, albeit very infrequently.

Sounds like Lexar are unwilling to do a swap of cards to ones that work with the D500 like Nikon did with their batteries. And why should they, they don't seem to be having any problems with other cameras. :thinking: The D500 being picky with batteries and cards hints that Nikon did not do their testing too well, and the Firmware update seems like a bodge workaround imho.

I'm in no hurry to install this Firmware update if that is all that it fixes, as I've not had any problems. I'll let those that did update, and see if they have any problems, or notice any other benefits. :rolleyes:

D500 just arrived and unboxed so cant wait to get out and put it through its paces ... my Lexar 64GB 1000x cards format and work fine ATM and my older Nikon Li-ion 10 battery also works fine so that's good news, will look out for any compatible 3rd-party batteries coming onto the market.
I like the customisable buttons but would love to have more available options for fn2 which seems very limited.
Might start a D500 hints & Tips thread :)

I damaged the screen of my D500 yesterday. :eek: :( I had the camera in my backpack and put it on a table, and because the backpack was unbalanced it fell off. I didn't think anything of it as the bag was a bit padded and when something like that had happened before, everything was OK. Well this time it wasn't. When I took the camera out to use, the LCD wasn't working. I couldn't see what was wrong in the bright sunlight, so went home to check it. I took the battery out hoping it was a software thing. When I got home there was a crack in the screen. :(

Because my D500 was an import I looked for repairers and phoned Fixation. It sounds like they have not seen this problem on a D500 yet, but going by doing something similar on a D5500 they said about £350 plus £70 - £90 labour, and that was if they didn't find anything else wrong. I emailed H Lehmann Ltd and they said they would get back to me, but I haven't heard anything yet.

I phoned Nikon this morning and they said they would fix it, but they weren't able to give a quote. I ended up sending it to Nikon, so I'll have to wait and see what they say.

I nearly booked my holiday on Tuesday night, but looks like this has knocked that on the head. :( Good job I didn't as I would not have the money to pay for this repair. Then again, depending on how much it ends up being, a may still not have enough. :eek: :LOL:

Be careful with your cameras out there.

Last edited:
I damaged the screen of my D500 yesterday. :eek: :( I had the camera in my backpack and put it on a table, and because the backpack was unbalanced it fell off. I didn't think anything of it as the bag was a bit padded and when something like that had happened before, everything was OK. Well this time it wasn't. When I took the camera out to use, the LCD wasn't working. I couldn't see what was wrong in the bright sunlight, so went home to check it. I took the battery out hoping it was a software thing. When I got home there was a crack in the screen. :(

Because my D500 was an import I looked for repairers and phoned Fixation. It sounds like they have not seen this problem on a D500 yet, but going by doing something similar on a D5500 they said about £350 plus £70 - £90 labour, and that was if they didn't find anything else wrong. I emailed H Lehmann Ltd and they said they would get back to me, but I haven't heard anything yet.

I phoned Nikon this morning and they said they would fix it, but they weren't able to give a quote. I ended up sending it to Nikon, so I'll have to wait and see what they say.

I nearly booked my holiday on Tuesday night, but looks like this has knocked that on the head. :( Good job I didn't as I would not have the money to pay for this repair. Then again, depending on how much it ends up being, a may still not have enough. :eek: :LOL:

What a bummer hope you get it fixed soon and its cheaper than they say.

Don't use H.Lehmann. I frigged the screen on my D750 and it took them 6 weeks to sort it out. Original quote of £90 became £350. They couldn't fix it and sent it to Nikon in the end.

Really bad news, hope it works out okay :(

D500 just arrived and unboxed so cant wait to get out and put it through its paces ... my Lexar 64GB 1000x cards format and work fine ATM and my older Nikon Li-ion 10 battery also works fine so that's good news, will look out for any compatible 3rd-party batteries coming onto the market.
I like the customisable buttons but would love to have more available options for fn2 which seems very limited.
Might start a D500 hints & Tips thread :)
Where did you buy it from?

Just wondering if anyone is using the camera with the Sigma 150-600 C? Just wanting to know that the combo works well, AF etc.. Thanks in advance.

Anyone else noticed the images are more diluted/over-exposed than they have been used to?
I have been using the D810 & D7200 and the D500 files seem quite different ... I've heard some reports of people thinking that the camera tends to over-expose but what are your findings?

Thank you. So much want. Moved from D7200 to D610 to get better low light performance but the D610 auto focus leaves a bit to be desired, and the grip is horrible.. Lovely images though.

Really want a D500 now as I see it as a great compromise between FX and DX but with good ergonomics and AF. Would keep the D610 incase I wasn't happy with the iso performs of the D500 but I can see me eventually just having the DX body. (Says me who's never even handled a D500!)

Anyone else noticed the images are more diluted/over-exposed than they have been used to?
I have been using the D810 & D7200 and the D500 files seem quite different ... I've heard some reports of people thinking that the camera tends to over-expose but what are your findings?

Yep. Deffo. Over exposes by around half a stop. Only used it with Siggy 150-600.

Why am I seeing two files when I open my card in the reader ... DCIM and D500, D500 is always empty?

Not really noticed it over exposing, I was unsure of the Auto WB for a while so tested it against the D810 and it was a close match so no worries there.

I did not see over exposure in the images but it was just a shot inside my bedroom with a wide angle lens (20mm on the D500 and 30mm on the D810 to capture the same image) and not very scientifically done :)

Noticed something the other night - I went out into the garden to take shots of some Parakeets.

Now - in the past I would always have grabbed the D810 for this as it was my go to camera for everything (even though I had the D7100 and upgraded to D7200)

This time I just grabbed the D500 and the long lens and went out. No worrying about not taking the D810 - just confident that the D500 would deliver and give me more chance of a flight shot if the opportunity arose.

This is a big step forward for me after the last 2 years with the D810.

Noticed something the other night - I went out into the garden to take shots of some Parakeets.

Now - in the past I would always have grabbed the D810 for this as it was my go to camera for everything (even though I had the D7100 and upgraded to D7200)

This time I just grabbed the D500 and the long lens and went out. No worrying about not taking the D810 - just confident that the D500 would deliver and give me more chance of a flight shot if the opportunity arose.

This is a big step forward for me after the last 2 years with the D810.

Dave any thoughts on this?

Why am I seeing two files when I open my card in the reader ... DCIM and D500, D500 is always empty?

Gramps, the D500 allows you to create a number of user specified folders where images are created. Has someone created a D500 folder in the menus (page 283 of the manual), that the camera will recreate on every card until this folder name is deleted in camera, or if not, is it a special folder for movies ?

Gramps, the D500 allows you to create a number of user specified folders where images are created. Has someone created a D500 folder in the menus (page 283 of the manual), that the camera will recreate on every card until this folder name is deleted in camera, or if not, is it a special folder for movies ?

Thanks Andrew, I may have created it without knowing so will check how to delete it :)

I changed the White balance from Auto0 to Auto1 (Photo shooting menu) as I thought the images were on the white(ish) / cold(ish) / bright(ish) side, sorry not very scientific I know but not sure how else to describe it.

I have noticed that with the D500 it seems to be easier to blow whites than with the D810 or D7200 (I have used and owned both). Especially shooting in less than ideal conditions i.e. bright sunshine on birds with white feathers. I tried dialling in 1/6 & 1/3 permanent exp comp along with exposure adj as needed along with combinations of matrix, spot, center weighted and highlight weighted metering. I read somewhere that someone else experiencing the same issue had some success with center weighted average metering (custom settings b6). So I tried this yesterday and got the following result. No exp comp dialled in or permanently set and a rare day with full sunshine. I'm reasonably confident that the white feathers would have been a over exp or blown with matrix metering.

This is from a Jpeg imported then exported from lightroom with default settings, resized for web. Would have been nice to change to matrix metering but the bird disappeared after a few seconds.
DSC_8958.jpg

It would also have been nice to have spotted the reed in front of the bird :)

Last edited:
Reactions: WWA
I do not have a D500

but comparing the D7200 - D750 and D810 ......... control of 'lights" does vary ....... I found the D750 was the most sympathetic to use in Auto * and + EV 1/3rd

Back