D500

I've found two, this, and this. So far both have worked perfectly. :)
(y)

Anyone struggling with Snapbridge to transfer images to ios and wished they had WMU as they did/do on the D7200?
I found this yesterday on another forum, I haven't tried it yet but if it works as detailed then that's all I need to quickly transfer images (including RAW) from the D500 to my iPhone :)

Open snapbridge, pair D500 with bluetooth on iPhone
Once paired, click camera icon at bottom -> download selected pictures
Click yes on the pop up, then manually go to wifi settings and choose D500
DO NOT return to snap bridge, instead open WMU app and click the little wifi icon in the upper left, you are now connected
Download files using WMU, including RAW much more quickly

(y)

Anyone struggling with Snapbridge to transfer images to ios and wished they had WMU as they did/do on the D7200?
I found this yesterday on another forum, I haven't tried it yet but if it works as detailed then that's all I need to quickly transfer images (including RAW) from the D500 to my iPhone :)

Just wasted about an hour trying to connect mine to Snapbridge on my iPhone. Frustrating, it won't even connect!!

Just wasted about an hour trying to connect mine to Snapbridge on my iPhone. Frustrating, it won't even connect!!
Can't imagine who decided it was fit for purpose TBH!

Just added the 18-35mm F1.8 to my collection, tried to fine tune it, as i always do with a new lens with Focal Pro, but didn't need it, only + or -1 at all focal lengths so hardly needed a tweak.
very sharp across the frame, a few threads comment on the outer edge focus points causing it to front focus, but i,ll be honest and don't use them anyway, I'm more of a Centre/25/53 man. the outer edges i use on the 600mm and that's fine.

I just threw mine up in the for sale section. It's a lovely camera but I just don't have the time to use it (I'm a workaholic and that dominates my life). You guys are all taking fantastic images with the D500 and each time I come back into the thread I say to myself 'I really must take this camera out', but it never seems to happen. So rather than have it gather dust in a cupboard ...

:(

I just threw mine up in the for sale section. It's a lovely camera but I just don't have the time to use it (I'm a workaholic and that dominates my life). You guys are all taking fantastic images with the D500 and each time I come back into the thread I say to myself 'I really must take this camera out', but it never seems to happen. So rather than have it gather dust in a cupboard ...

:(

If I hadn't just spent a fortune getting the house decorated I'd be very interested :( maybe the end of the month of its not sold :)

I noticed the other week that my sensor needed cleaning on the D500. So finally got round to it today, but when I tried to activate the mirror lock up for cleaning, it said that I had to disable the Bluetooth. :thinking: Now I had the Airplane mode on, and so I assumed that disabled the Wifi and Bluetooth, and indeed the Bluetooth option was greyed out. So I had to come out of Airplane mode to disable the Bluetooth to be able to use the mirror lock up.

I don't know if it has been mentioned before, but something that may trip people up.

The sensor cleaning took about 3 hours btw. :confused: :rolleyes: Never taken more than an hour in the past, and normally about 30 odd mins. Always had 4-5 big spots until the end and took about 19-20 wipes, with checking in between. :mad: A right pita. :LOL:

Is there not many owners of this camera or there is it just too good they all out shooting

Getting a flashing Err message on the top LCD. I've updated the firmware to 1.11 and still get it.
I have to press the shutter button to get it back to working, this mostly works. Seems like the mirror is sticking.
Tried with different lenses and without a lens also.

Anyone else come across this? Any solution?

Last edited:
Getting a flashing Err message on the top LCD. I've updated the firmware to 1.11 and still get it.
I have to press the shutter button to get it back to working, this mostly works. Seems like the mirror is sticking.

Not heard anything so I would be getting it off for repair.

After using Nikon for nigh on 35 years, and as recently as the start of this year having 4 bodies (D7200, D810, D750 and D4), they have all gone and for the last month or so when the D810 went, the only one I have had is the D500. I know it's touted as a sports and wildlife camera but for me, it really is a jack of all trades. Happy shooting birds with a 600mm at ISO 12,800 or taking great landscape photos at ISO 100 with the 16-85 or Sigma 10-20. I really don't need any more than 21mp.

The only other Nikon I've ever had that I "connected" with in the same way was my D3s from about 5 years ago, which as soon as I'd sold it - regretted it straight away.

Think I'll hold onto the D500 until it falls apart and dare I say, with my Micro four thirds system maturing more and more each year, it could well be my last DSLR ever !

After using Nikon for nigh on 35 years, and as recently as the start of this year having 4 bodies (D7200, D810, D750 and D4), they have all gone and for the last month or so when the D810 went, the only one I have had is the D500. I know it's touted as a sports and wildlife camera but for me, it really is a jack of all trades. Happy shooting birds with a 600mm at ISO 12,800 or taking great landscape photos at ISO 100 with the 16-85 or Sigma 10-20. I really don't need any more than 21mp.

The only other Nikon I've ever had that I "connected" with in the same way was my D3s from about 5 years ago, which as soon as I'd sold it - regretted it straight away.

Think I'll hold onto the D500 until it falls apart and dare I say, with my Micro four thirds system maturing more and more each year, it could well be my last DSLR ever !

Hi

Would you say the d500 better than the d750

I think thanks 10 fps the shutter count is going to be an issue trying to sell them on in 4-5 years, so yes, think I'll be holding on to mine until it falls apart too :)

Any d750 owner moved to a d500 pls and how you rate it

Hi

Would you say the d500 better than the d750

Well I know this is a contentious statement, as on paper the D750 should murder the D500 at high ISO, but mine just never did. Sure it was a bit cleaner (maybe half a stop) but nothing too radical.

Even the D750 needed NR after around ISO3200 (same as the D500 does), but I just find the D500 noise easier to deal with. Added to that the AF and control layout which I much prefer on the D500, and it was an easy decision for me. I also found the D750 needed quite a bit more sharpening in post to get the look I wanted, whereas the D500 needs much less so. The D750 was (and is) a cracking full frame camera, and if I was still shooting weddings and needed razor thin DOF with an 85mm F1.4, then I might have kept it (but then I'd have probably kept the D810 instead). Truth is, I haven't missed it at all. Obviously YMMV.

Last edited:
I think thanks 10 fps the shutter count is going to be an issue trying to sell them on in 4-5 years, so yes, think I'll be holding on to mine until it falls apart too :)

Agreed for some, except that like all my previous bodies, I've never been a machine gunner type of tog anyway, and much prefer to shoot small bursts at something like 3-5 FPS rather than 10 (but it's nice to know it's there in case I do need it).

LOL :D
Why on earth do you go from thread to thread asking owners what they think?
9/10 times they are going to give you the positives otherwise they wouldn't have bought it.
Why don't you use various resources like photography review sites, youtube and most importantly test it out for yourself?
As every person has different needs, buying something on the basis of other owners liking it doesn't mean you will.

Last edited:

I have both. It's horses for courses. I find the 750 files "cleaner" I suppose less noise. But the D500 AF is so much better.

Put your hand in your pocket and buy one or the other. A lot depends on which lenses you have or intend to buy.

I owned a D750 which I sold in order to purchase a D500, the biggest problem I had with the D750 was with the very poor buffer when taking shots of birds in flight and fast moving bikes
ten frames a second is not important to me I usually us six, I still prefer the image quality from full frame cameras and to that end I recently bought a used D810 from a fellow member which gives all the quality
I am ever likely to need, so I have the best of both worlds and can use whichever best suits in any given situation,
Having said all that I think the D750 is a terrific all rounder and if for some reason I needed to cut down on gear I would seriously consider selling both my current bodys and getting another D750.

Yes I did, I was using focal pro and hadn't let the software reset the camera. Have you done this at all? It was weird sound like it was stuttering I did panic, but after reconnecting it back to ththe software I let it run a full reset and its been fine since, I did log it with Nikon but they said monitor it and didn't give any insight if it was an issue, thus I think it was the software.

Tried a fulle reset?

Haven't connected to any software, just remove the memory card and insert into the card reader on pc. Have done a full reset and still doing it. Mine also sounds like stuttering. Afraid it'll damage itself.

Hows does this Auto AF Fine Tune behave does it work as it says on the Tin?

Its ok but i found it to be inconsistent, hence why i use Focal pro

Hows does this Auto AF Fine Tune behave does it work as it says on the Tin?

Most comments I have seen say it needs doing a few times and then sort of averaging out ... Focal works much more reliably for me and there are other options available. :)

It amaze me that there no many users in here posting their stunning work with this camera...

What D500 owners images??

OMG they are brilliant mate really are.. Better go and look lol

Gramps, you showing off again :p:p

Seriously, terrific shots

He sure had taken some stunners too..

What your fave lens for this as there so many choices out there

My interest is mainly wildlife so I use a 500mm f4 VR and 300mm f4 PF VR with 1.4 and 1.7 teleconverters.
For other work I have a 24-120mm f4 as walkabout, an 80-200 f2.8 for some sport, 15mm f2.8 and a couple of others.

My interest is mainly wildlife so I use a 500mm f4 VR and 300mm f4 PF VR with 1.4 and 1.7 teleconverters.
For other work I have a 24-120mm f4 as walkabout, an 80-200 f2.8 for some sport, 15mm f2.8 and a couple of others.
Mmmmm, 500mm f4 :love:

Really nice pics above, especially like the kingfisher, a bird that has alluded me all my life :(

They do their best to avoid me too mate ... hours wasted :(
I'm determined to at least see one one day, preferably get a picture of one too. Living in the Peak District you'd think it'd be relatively easy to get to see one but......

I'm determined to at least see one one day, preferably get a picture of one too. Living in the Peak District you'd think it'd be relatively easy to get to see one but......

Chatsworth House is a splendid location for bird watching as it stands in the midst of a wooded park, and has pastureland as well. The River Derwent winds through the parkland, and is an excellent spot to see Sand Martins, Grey Wagtails, and Goosanders. In the winter, you may even see Siskin and Redpoll. Year round species include Kingfisher, Grey Heron, Tufted Duck, Little Grebe, and Dipper.

Yup he right Tony I have seen them just never had the right lens ha ha ha

Been to Chatsworth loads of times, never seen a Kingfisher. Are there certain parts of the river you're more likely to spot one?

Back