D500

Anyone thinking of buying a battery grip for their D500 who don't want to pay out nikon prices might like to look at the EXpro version, I received mine today and am very pleased with the apparent good quality of it
the fit and finish are excellent, I decided to try them for a grip because I have used their batteries before in a number of cameras and have never had a problem, they are more expensive than the usual copies
I paid £79.97 for the grip and two batteries but I think they are very good value the batteries work fine with the D500 in the grip and in the body, the company is based in the UK and I was able to get next day delivery
extra £7.46. www.exprodirect.com usual disclaimers apply.

Thanks for that. (y) I ordered a battery from them to see if it has been sorted with the D500 as they say. I also found another battery seller on Amazon who says their battery has been sorted with the D500, so I ordered one of them too. I'm away on holiday at the end of Oct, and so I want extra batteries, for taking pics all day, and long exposures at night. I also want to have the WiFi connection on all day too for the GPS. Works out about £20 each, :eek: more than I normally pay for copy batteries, :( :rolleyes: but that's potentially two batteries for the cost of Nikon's one. ;) Fingers crossed they work as described.

I received the two EN-EL15 batteries which the manufacturer's claim to work with the D500. So far I have only charged them to see if they charged, one said 100% when I put it in the camera, and the other said 97%. After putting them in the camera, I played about with Live View and the Menus. I have not had a chance to take many pictures to test how they compare with the original I have yet, as it has been a rainy day.

One of the batteries is rated at 2200Mah, rather than the 1900mAh of the original and the other copy. That was the one that gave the 97% in the camera after indicating it was fully charged btw. :thinking:

Well after deliberating for ages on an "upgrade" from my d7000...i finally settled on a d750 rather than d500. Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for everyone's patience and answering my d500 questions. Cheers all [emoji481]

Last edited:
Reactions: WWA
Well after deliberating for ages on an "upgrade" from my d7000...i finally settled on a d750 rather than d500. Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for everyone's patience and answering my d500 questions. Cheers all [emoji481]

Whats swayed you to DX Chris ?

You mean FX? For me it was less about the format and more about what the strengths of the cameras were and how that matched the type of photos I'm most likely to take. I've done quite a bit of the 52 challenges and that made it hard for me to assess at first, but what I know I take little of is sports action and wildlife such as BiF. It's more candids, street and landscape type stuff (I don't post it all online!)

I found my d7000 to be great when I have more time to think about what I am doing and setting up a shot, but I've been disappointed when having to react more quickly, and generally felt like I was relying more on luck than judgement. Some times not focussing as quickly as I would like and other times frustrated a little with the fps. I admit some of that is likely down to technique, but I don't think the camera has always helped me though.The auto focussing I found a bit hit and miss at times, and I've missed so many candid portraits at key times I could cry! Then there is cropping a crop on what is by today's standards a relatively low res....

To start I was looking at DX because I have the D7000 and therefore didn't absolutely need glass. But the more I thought about it the more I realised I could do with investing in better glass than the kit lens I've stuck with for years. In fact probably more so than spending on a new body.

I was considering d7200 v d500 and had GAS for the d500 in particular, but its strengths don't sit in with the types of photos I take. The D750 was a tough call, but the more I saw of the low light performance, impact of FX on DoF for portraits and the face/eye recognition, plus a hell of a lot of stunning landscapes the more I gravitated towards it. Plus it's neither no slouch In the areas that the d500 excels, setup buttons etc really v close to the d7000 I am used to. Browsing a lot of photos on Flickr for the different cameras was a key thing that helped me too.

I was considering d7200 v d500 and had GAS for the d500 in particular, but its strengths don't sit in with the types of photos I take. The D750 was a tough call, but the more I saw of the low light performance, impact of FX on DoF for portraits and the face/eye recognition, plus a hell of a lot of stunning landscapes the more I gravitated towards it. Plus it's neither no slouch In the areas that the d500 excels, setup buttons etc really v close to the d7000 I am used to. Browsing a lot of photos on Flickr for the different cameras was a key thing that helped me too.

Thats actually quite helpfull for me tbh....

Low light - not really
Portraits - nope
Landscapes - not really

Plus the D500 is a natural progression for me in terms of body continuity.

I'm not sure if it's been asked already but what focus mode do you lot use for BIF?

Although I am intending to try out the 72 point mode, next time I get to go out (Saturday morning hopefully)

"Well, let’s take birds in flight: a bird flying towards you almost always will focus best with Group AF.
That’s because Group AF prioritizes the closest subject. The closest subject in that narrow group area is going to be the head of the bird if you’re holding framing well. But when the bird is flying parallel to you, the nearest wing is going to catch focus with Group AF, and you’ll be wanting to switch to…wait for it…D9 ;~). Okay, D25 for now. Or maybe Single Point. "
Source - http://www.bythom.com/photographic-travel/africa/2016-botswana-blog-2/19-back-to-maun.html

"Well, let’s take birds in flight: a bird flying towards you almost always will focus best with Group AF.
That’s because Group AF prioritizes the closest subject. The closest subject in that narrow group area is going to be the head of the bird if you’re holding framing well. But when the bird is flying parallel to you, the nearest wing is going to catch focus with Group AF, and you’ll be wanting to switch to…wait for it…D9 ;~). Okay, D25 for now. Or maybe Single Point. "
Source - http://www.bythom.com/photographic-travel/africa/2016-botswana-blog-2/19-back-to-maun.html

Thanks for that bit of info.

In reality though, I've found that Group AF at F8, pointed at the bird's head, works without any issue. As long as I have the (invisible) centre focus point on the head, there doesn't seem to be a problem. Definitely want to try the 72 and the 25 though :D

Nice one Tom (y)

What camera you coming from?

D7200, nothing wrong with that camera but I never seem to get many bif / action shots very well, hoping the af and fps will help a bit.
Parcelforce tracking says unable to confirm status of parcel , hope that's just a glitch in their system.

System must be a bit slow, now states it's out for delivery :)

Last edited:
Ive been reading as many D750/D500 threads as I can devour of late, and it does make me smile a little.

"People/Forums" say :

D500 - Wildlife/Sports/BIF

D750 - Landscape/Portrait

So I assume then, the above cameras will be totally shyte at producing a quality of image of anything other than the above ? ;)

I was using the flip screen last night and it was OK, but as soon as put the camera in the portrait orientation it was useless, especially as I was tilting the camera up. :mad: :rolleyes: I would have preferred the more adjustable screen that is on the D5300, but then you may have lost the buttons down the left hand side. :thinking: Maybe that type of screen with the buttons on it. ;)

Ive been reading as many D750/D500 threads as I can devour of late, and it does make me smile a little.

"People/Forums" say :

D500 - Wildlife/Sports/BIF

D750 - Landscape/Portrait

So I assume then, the above cameras will be totally shyte at producing a quality of image of anything other than the above ? ;)

Some camera formats lend themselves to specific uses more than others but on the whole I feel most modern DSLR cameras are pretty flexible (within reason).

I generally focus on people photography. In the past I've owned several FX cameras but yesterday I bought a D500. It's more than capable of delivering fantastic portraiture shots.

For me there is a gap in Nikon's FX lineup left by the D700 (which I loved). Having owned the D750 I can say for me it's just too small, the ergonomics of it for a big guy like me makes it impractical.

Picked up the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 today so no excuses now. I need to get out and take some pictures.

The Nikon 24-70 is superb John.

Not tried it on my D500 but it is the lens of choice on my D810 for landscapes, weddings, family gatherings and general walk around stuff.

In a few weeks, once my wallet has recovered I intend to pair it with the 70-200mm. That should cover most of what I need. Grab a fast prime at some point, probably a 35mm or 50mm.

Back