D500

The Mongoose had the Sigma 1.4tc on, I'd like the Nikon version at a later date. I did get a splash but the bear was well under the water so left it out. It's only the second time I've seen them in the water, last time 3 were playing together, the 300 + tc was too long on the crop body and the 70-200 a little short on FX :(.
That's impressive to say it had the TC on (y) How come it's showing as being f4, is it the 300mm f2.8 then?

Last edited:
That's impressive to say it had the TC on (y) How come it's showing as being f4, is it the 300mm f2.8 then?
No, the body doesn't see the tc so gives exif as 300 f/4 instead of 420 f/5.6. A member local to me a few years ago tried it on his Nikon 70-200 and did the same.

No, the body doesn't see the tc so gives exif as 300 f/4 instead of 420 f/5.6. A member local to me a few years ago tried it on his Nikon 70-200 and did the same.
Ahh ok, strange.

Thanks for this. Which 300mm do you have, the PF or one before?
No its not the new PF, my Sigma 100-300 started playing up before Xmas and quite a few popped up in the classifieds so smiled at the wife and she said yes.

Last edited:
No its not the new PF, my Sigma 100-300 started playing up before Xmas and quite a few popped up in the classifieds so smiled at the wife did she sad yes.
Thanks (y)

Making me think now getting the 300 mm PF INSTEAD of sigma 150-600

Its a vicious circle choosing a lens when you have so many possibilities. The 150-600 C thread has so many good reviews but I've always wanted the 300 f/4 then there is the Nikon 200-500, 200-400 etc. I now have the choice of D300, D500 and D3 with the 300mm and a 70-200mm and comfy carrying 2 bodies. There are parts at Cadwell Park that 70mm on DX is too long so the D3 is perfect.

I have the new 300f4 pf and so far, love it. I had the older version but a neck problem meant i didn't take it out as much as I would have before. My last one was amazing and I'd never have let it go if I knew I couldn't manage it. Couldn't believe the weight and size of the new one so I just need to get out with it now properly, can't wait for spring :)

My o/h has the 200-500 so if I creep a bit, we can swap over now n then (y)

Last edited:
Depends what you want it for. For places like YWP the 300mm with 1.4tc on crop body would be ideal for 90% of shots, for the rest you may need something wider at around 200-300mm FF.

Its a vicious circle choosing a lens when you have so many possibilities. The 150-600 C thread has so many good reviews but I've always wanted the 300 f/4 then there is the Nikon 200-500, 200-400 etc. I now have the choice of D300, D500 and D3 with the 300mm and a 70-200mm and comfy carrying 2 bodies. There are parts at Cadwell Park that 70mm on DX is too long so the D3 is perfect.

It certainly is difficult. I spent what seems like an eternity deciding on the Nikon 200-500 instead of getting the new Sigma Sport. My previous lens, a Sigma 150-500mm (just popped it into the 'for sale' section) was a terrific lens for me and I thought an upgrade to the new Sigma 150-600mm (Sport) would be the logical way to go. However the multitude of reviews that I read for the Nikon 200-500mm and the days trial I had with the lens (borrowed from a friend) convinced me that the Nikon was the way to go. You cannot beat actually trying out a lens before you buy.

I already have the Nikon 300m F4 (not the PF) and that works superbly with a 1.4 teleconverter but for the mainstay of my photography (Birds) I need something with bit more reach. I do use the 300mm lens a lot though, for other things, so may upgrade to the PF version at some point but will wait till the price comes down a bit or I find a good second hand one.

It certainly is difficult. I spent what seems like an eternity deciding on the Nikon 200-500 instead of getting the new Sigma Sport. My previous lens, a Sigma 150-500mm (just popped it into the 'for sale' section) was a terrific lens for me and I thought an upgrade to the new Sigma 150-600mm (Sport) would be the logical way to go. However the multitude of reviews that I read for the Nikon 200-500mm and the days trial I had with the lens (borrowed from a friend) convinced me that the Nikon was the way to go. You cannot beat actually trying out a lens before you buy.

I already have the Nikon 300m F4 (not the PF) and that works superbly with a 1.4 teleconverter but for the mainstay of my photography (Birds) I need something with bit more reach. I do use the 300mm lens a lot though, for other things, so may upgrade to the PF version at some point but will wait till the price comes down a bit or I find a good second hand one.

May I ask. What made you go Nikon 200-500 over the sigma pls?

I thought I had sort of explained the main reasons in my post!!
Decision was partly based on all the reviews that I had read but main reasons for choosing the Nikon over the Sigma were really down to being able to borrow a friends Nikon lens for a day and seeing how I got on with it. I also played around with a Sigma Sport lens at Park Cameras for an hour or so. No real negatives for either lens.

I'd be interested in this too. Also how you find the extra weight of the Nikon?

I thought I had sort of explained the main reasons in my post!!
Decision was partly based on all the reviews that I had read but main reasons for choosing the Nikon over the Sigma were really down to being able to borrow a friends Nikon lens for a day and seeing how I got on with it. I also played around with a Sigma Sport lens at Park Cameras for an hour or so. No real negatives for either lens.
You did say that, but it doesn't explain why still ;) :p Was it IQ, AF, build etc?

You did say that, but it doesn't explain why still ;) :p Was it IQ, AF, build etc?

I will try and summarise things in a bit more detail when I get back from work. There are some great online reviews specifically covering the Nikon, the two Sigma versions and the Tamron lens so I will try and find the links for the ones that I think really convinced me.

I will try and summarise things in a bit more detail when I get back from work. There are some great online reviews specifically covering the Nikon, the two Sigma versions and the Tamron lens so I will try and find the links for the ones that I think really convinced me.
That's why I'm interested in real world opinions. I've seen most of the online reviews and because of this am always interested to hear why people choose the Nikon over the Tammy and Sigma. For example, when I read reviews like this I wonder why people choose the pricier and heavier Nikon especially when you tend to use these lenses at the long end. However, there's a lot of people on here that have tried the Nikon and Sigma or Tamron and choose the Nikon so there must be a reason why people are happy to pay the extra, therefore it gets me wondering whether online reviews aren't a true reflection? I'm sure there's sample variation that accounts for a lot of it, but there's too many people choose the Nikon to ignore it (y)

https://photographylife.com/nikon-200-500mm-vs-tamron-150-600mm-vs-sigma-150-600mm-c/6

My big 40 this. That an idea

400 2.8 for me. Marks the 40th [emoji108][emoji106]

50 it is then :p
Could be my 100th and I still wouldn't get one. My wife just does not get why you need a lens more than £100 let alone one that's several thousand ;)

Anyone tried this for star trails yet

Unlimited continuous shooting

Should be fine mate, just setup interville thingy and go for it, I normally do 20 second intervilles

First day out with the 500. and still very much confused by the AF options.Kept it on single point and either S or C depending on subject. All taken ith Nikkor 70-300.

ZSL LND-2 by Mark P, on Flickr

ZSL LND-6 by Mark P, on Flickr

ZSL LND-14 by Mark P, on Flickr

Set :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/30938108@N02/albums/72157680438227386/with/32155015344/
Nice pics. General rule of thumb is AF-C for moving subjects, AF-S for static. 99% of the time I use it on single point, the only time I change from this is BIF for which I use group.

I really love my setup of groupfocus on the joystick and single on the ae/l button, in constant, so I have 4 focus modes by just moving my thumb

Nice pics. General rule of thumb is AF-C for moving subjects, AF-S for static. 99% of the time I use it on single point, the only time I change from this is BIF for which I use group.

Varied subject to how twitchy subject was tbh, mostly on S.

I really love my setup of groupfocus on the joystick and single on the ae/l button, in constant, so I have 4 focus modes by just moving my thumb

Still got to get my head around that setup yet...

Snapbridge IOS Update Ver 10.2 now available ... BUT ... D500 Camera Firmware Update Required before it can be used, hopefully March!

"Supported Digital Cameras as of February 2017
D500, D5600, D3400, COOLPIX A900, A300, B700, B500, W100, KeyMission 80
The foregoing may include models not available in some regions.
Camera firmware updates may be required.

The following cameras require firmware updates before they can be used with iOS 10.2.
D500, D5600, D3400, COOLPIX A900, B700, W100, KeyMission 80
The firmware below is scheduled for release in March 2017.
D500, D5600, D3400
The firmware below is scheduled for release in April 2017.
COOLPIX A900, B700, W100, KeyMission 80
Use a computer to download the latest firmware from the website below.
http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/

Principal Features
- Once the camera is paired with your smart device, new photos can be downloaded automatically.
- Photos can be uploaded automatically to NIKON IMAGE SPACE (see Note 1 below).
- Control the camera remotely and take, view, and download photos.
- View downloaded photos or share them via e-mail or social media.
- Add photo info or text to uploaded photos.
- Download location data to the camera (Note 2) or set the camera clock to the time reported by the smart device.
- Receive notifications of firmware updates for paired cameras.

System Requirements
iOS 8.4 or later or iOS 9.1 or later (the most recent version of iOS 8 or iOS 9 is recommended). iOS10.2
iPhone 5 or later, fourth-generation iPad or later
Bluetooth 4.0 or later
There is no guarantee that this app will run on all devices."

Back