D500

I'm busy using a Nikon D800 for my photography mostly (95%) wildlife.
I've got a trip to Sri Lanka and a safari to India coming up followed by trips to Canada, Madagascar and Costa Rica over the next couple of years.
I know the crop and burst speed is better on the D500 but the low light performance will be the deciding factor.
Is it worth getting rid of the D800 for the D500?

I've got a trip to Sri Lanka and a safari to India coming up followed by trips to Canada, Madagascar and Costa Rica over the next couple of years.
I know the crop and burst speed is better on the D500 but the low light performance will be the deciding factor.

Possibly not, if low-light performance is the deciding factor

ANYONE USING A D500 WITH MB-D17 (NIKON OR 3rd PARTY).

Can you check if you can copy images from XQD to SD when the grip is fitted: Playback Menu > Copy Images ... can you click it or is it greyed out?

In fact, can you even do it without the grip fitted?

Last edited:
ANYONE USING A D500 WITH MB-D17 (NIKON OR 3rd PARTY).

Can you check if you can copy images from XQD to SD when the grip is fitted: Playback Menu > Copy Images ... can you click it or is it greyed out?

In fact, can you even do it without the grip fitted?

Just tried it and it copied the images to the SD card successfully.

Copied them all over as there were only 13 images on the XQD.

With the Pixel Vertax grip fitted.

The key thing you are missing is focusing - will you be photographing fast moving things?

I have compared my D500 to my D810 and the D500 was considerably better on the same subject in the same light mounted on the same tripod.

And the focusing on the D810 is already a step up from the D800

Just tried it and it copied the images to the SD card successfully.

Copied them all over as there were only 13 images on the XQD.

With the Pixel Vertax grip fitted.

Thanks Wez, my 'Copy Images' is greyed out whatever I try to do ... grip or not.
Must be some menu item interfering but I can't think what it would be ... all cards work with the camera and battery is 90%

Just a thought- is the switch on the SD card set to protected

Forget that just seen all cards work with camera

That's strange :thinking:

Just a thought- is the switch on the SD card set to protected

Forget that just seen all cards work with camera

Probably more to do with the fact that I had formatted the card so there were no images on there to transfer ... works a treat with images on it! :oops: :$

:coat:

I think they call it 'a Senior Moment'! :D

Have you guys been seeing the amazing images that being posted on flickr the past few days.. As I have been a member of a couple of groups on there...

The key thing you are missing is focusing - will you be photographing fast moving things?

I have compared my D500 to my D810 and the D500 was considerably better on the same subject in the same light mounted on the same tripod.

And the focusing on the D810 is already a step up from the D800

Thanks for the reply Dave.
Most of the trips I have planned are for the larger type of animals, not BIF.
That's not to say I don't photograph BIF but it's only a small percentage of what I do.

Thanks for the reply Dave.
That's not to say I don't photograph BIF but it's only a small percentage of what I do.
If you don't need mad speed and AF then IMO you will miss the cleanness of the D800 images, unless possibly if you have extremely good light.

If you don't need mad speed and AF then IMO you will miss the cleanness of the D800 images, unless possibly if you have extremely good light.

Not too sure on this.. There appear to be some stunning clean images around the inter web taken with the D500

I see the D500 as my go to camera for wildlife now - the D810 stays at home if wildlife is on the cards. Just not sure you are doing the camera justice saying that you have to have extremely good light to consider using it rather than full frame.

As for fps and focusing (when out around unpredictable wildllife) - I would rather have it just in case. Those once in a lifetime moments often happen fast and are over quickly :)

I see the D500 as my go to camera for wildlife now - the D810 stays at home if wildlife is on the cards. Just not sure you are doing the camera justice saying that you have to have extremely good light to consider using it rather than full frame.

As for fps and focusing (when out around unpredictable wildllife) - I would rather have it just in case. Those once in a lifetime moments often happen fast and are over quickly :)

I agree on fps and focusing Dave, without question buy OP said...
In this case I'm not sure the D500 will particularly give the greatest benefit ... on the other hand the clean IQ and resolution of the D800 will benefit.
My reason for suggesting good light is that, at least for me, the D500 is prone to noise in shadow and OOF areas unless light is good. Of course this may not be an issue in Sri Lanka but in murky UK it definitely affects my long lens photography.

I agree on fps and focusing Dave, without question buy OP said...

In this case I'm not sure the D500 will particularly give the greatest benefit ... on the other hand the clean IQ and resolution of the D800 will benefit.
My reason for suggesting good light is that, at least for me, the D500 is prone to noise in shadow and OOF areas unless light is good. Of course this may not be an issue in Sri Lanka but in murky UK it definitely affects my long lens photography.

I am just not sure a stop of light makes that much difference - especially when wildlife with a D810 always meant heavy cropping as well for me. if the light is rubbish then I go to the pub and have a large breakfast :)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT D500 spares have arrived and its being repaired................. Shutter Plate Unit, only took 3 weeks for them to mail it from the Moon.....Lets hope i don't get shuuter ERR messages again....I have missed taking pictures of my feet in Bed, whilst reading the D500 books....

That pretty quick from the sat they got parts thou

Just picked up my shiny new D500 from HDEW along with the 200-500mm. Thats me set for the afternoon and evening now. Off to play !!!

Would love to hear your though on the 200-500 pal

Back