D500

Well anyway, I spoke to Jessops and they said as far as they can see, I ordered early enough (only tuesday!) to get mine in the first shipment...so roll on Thursday! The best thing? Because I use my camera to take product photography for work and because I was burgled and because my boss is great, he said "choose a camera and I'll give you a bonus to pay for it". I didn't know if to go for d810 or d500 but regardless of which, I'm getting a free camera that's (assuming no major problems) a great upgrade on the d7200 I bought to tide me over until the d500 comes out :D

The main problem w/ going to the D500 vs the D810 for me would be the rare occasion of "too much reach" w/ a fixed FL.

I have added a bit more since you quoted for me

Maybe the D810 has too many pixels and pixel density for my type of images - if I feel that the D810 does not fit the combination D750 + .. I will try a D4S ...... or 2 x D750 - as I said one on tripod, the other hand held

If the D500 is really good noise wise at about ISO 1000 and ISO 2000 - I would consider that

Last edited:
Well anyway, I spoke to Jessops and they said as far as they can see, I ordered early enough (only tuesday!) to get mine in the first shipment...so roll on Thursday! The best thing? Because I use my camera to take product photography for work and because I was burgled and because my boss is great, he said "choose a camera and I'll give you a bonus to pay for it". I didn't know if to go for d810 or d500 but regardless of which, I'm getting a free camera that's (assuming no major problems) a great upgrade on the d7200 I bought to tide me over until the d500 comes out :D
I would think the slight loss of resolution (slightly better performance, I doubt most ever get 24MP out of a D7200), newer technology (sensor fill), and better AF should make the D500 a great choice. But for product work I think the D810 would be the better choice.

I would think the slight loss of resolution (slightly better performance, I doubt most ever get 24MP out of a D7200), newer technology (sensor fill), and better AF should make the D500 a great choice. But for product work I think the D810 would be the better choice.

Yeah the d810 would be better for that I agree. But it's only a few new products a year and I've been using a d7000 with no problems at all for many years. The usefulness for wildlife is much more important to me so I went for the d500. 10fps is very enticing!

Yeah the D810 would be better for product work. My only issue with the D810 (and most Canikons TBH) is that I don't find the grip all that comfortable, not sure how the D500 will compare.

One major advantage of the D500 for me is the AF spread and how close to the edge of the frame it is. It would save me a lot of cropping of my sports pics.

Yeah the d810 would be better for that I agree. But it's only a few new products a year and I've been using a d7000 with no problems at all for many years. The usefulness for wildlife is much more important to me so I went for the d500. 10fps is very enticing!
If I could afford a second camera I think it'd be the one I'd go for to 'partner' my D750.

I've got one on preorder and called the shop today and tried to get something out of them regarding a date, but got no new info at all. I was hoping for this week, but next week/weeks is fine.

There is talk of it being delayed in Europe till mid May, Nikon don't seem to be commenting one way or the other sadly. :-/ They are so bad at PR it is unbelievable. :rolleyes::(

I'm going grey if the savings are enough, and just hope they get stock in Hong Kong pretty quickly. If they are going to have stock anywhere I would expect it to be Asia, but shortages may keep the prices high all over. :mad:

Last edited:
There is talk of it being delayed in Europe till mid May, Nikon don't seem to be commenting one way or the other sadly. :-/ They are so bad at PR it is unbelievable. :rolleyes::(

I'm going grey if the savings are enough, and just hope they get stock in Hong Kong pretty quickly. If they are going to have stock anywhere I would expect it to be Asia, but shortages may keep the prices high all over. :mad:

I've seen the date if 21st mentioned and it was on the Amazon US website so I always assumed it would be a worldwide launch and release here tomorrow. When I ordered with Jessops I was told they expect stock "next week" which was last week, so it would be very odd for Nikon to announce a delay the day before expected shipment (if they do even announce today) as the stock should already be in transit! Surely someone somewhere knows if a container of d500s were shipped from their factory or not!

I've seen the date if 21st mentioned and it was on the Amazon US website so I always assumed it would be a worldwide launch and release here tomorrow. When I ordered with Jessops I was told they expect stock "next week" which was last week, so it would be very odd for Nikon to announce a delay the day before expected shipment (if they do even announce today) as the stock should already be in transit! Surely someone somewhere knows if a container of d500s were shipped from their factory or not!

Added hype = added revenue ;)

Really interested to see how this performs, hopefully initial impressions will be more positive than the D5.

Not sure I'd do that if you are an earlier purchaser, Nikon have had quite a few initial problems with some of their DSLR new models in the past few years

Then you will need to wait for LR to release an update, if you are an Adobe user

Last edited:
Just spoken to Jessops who have "late April" shown on their stock availability. I can't imagine it's coming in tomorrow if they have such a vague answer on their system. If they were due tomorrow, they'd be in their central distribution warehouse for dispatch to local shops by now!

Just spoken to Jessops who have "late April" shown on their stock availability. I can't imagine it's coming in tomorrow if they have such a vague answer on their system. If they were due tomorrow, they'd be in their central distribution warehouse for dispatch to local shops by now!
i rang Wex and Jesse's for the Lumix TZ100 and they had nothing on their systems,

Park cameras had them in Stock, as did John Lewis :( Weird systems..... but i agree your guidance would be the way it should work...black magic..

Last edited:
Not sure I'd do that if you are an earlier purchaser, Nikon have had quite a few initial problems with some of their DSLR new models in the past few years

Then you will need to wait for LR to release an update, if you are an Adobe user
I think it is 50/50 with Nikon as to whether a camera will have any problems given their recent history, but the company I am planning on possibly going grey with, Panamoz, have been very good at addressing any problems, either with Nikon problems, or random camera problems from all the reports I have read. It will depend on whether they have stock and if there is a decent saving to be had.

I think it is 50/50 with Nikon as to whether a camera will have any problems given their recent history, but the company I am planning on possibly going grey with, Panamoz, have been very good at addressing any problems, either with Nikon problems, or random camera problems from all the reports I have read. It will depend on whether they have stock and if there is a decent saving to be had.
I'm always going to wait 6-12 months after release before I buy another Nikon tbh.

Very interested in the D500 ... so much so I have been pricing up my Canon gear and have contacted Sigma about changing the mount on my 150-600mm sport.

Manual is available for download here if anyone is interested.
Thanks for that, I installed the Nikon Manual app to hopefully be told when it was available first, but that seems not to have worked. :-( Lol

I'm always going to wait 6-12 months after release before I buy another Nikon tbh.
I would probably advise that for any Nikon camera, and that is there fault, and if there had been a 'D400', I would probably be doing that, but the D500 is such a big improvement over my D300S, that I am willing to take the chance.

I have bought bodies/lens from "greys" and may continue to do so - I think that the only thing to keep in mind is the risk that one day what some are doing, (mainly under declaring the import value of the goods), will be stopped by the UK authorities, it usually takes time, but eventually it will happen especially if/when the practice becomes more noticeable and widespread.

If and when this happens grey suppliers will leave the "grey" market and some with leave the UK market altogether, as many are owned and managed from abroad, (there are exceptions, but not many)

Last edited:
I have bought bodies/lens from "greys" and may continue to do so - I think that the only thing to keep in mind is the risk that one day what some are doing, (mainly under declaring the import value of the goods), will be stopped by the UK authorities, it usually takes time, but eventually it will happen especially if/when the practice becomes more noticeable and widespread.

If and when this happens grey suppliers will leave the "grey" market and some with leave the UK market altogether, as many are owned and managed from abroad, (there are exceptions, but not many)
There are lots of things that need to be taken into account when buying grey, and if you have any doubts you stay away. :-/

If it is not a big enough saving imho, and/or there is huge delay in availability or not, they are things to take into account when I decide where to buy.

There are lots of things that need to be taken into account when buying grey, and if you have any doubts you stay away. :-/

If it is not a big enough saving imho, and/or there is huge delay in availability or not, they are things to take into account when I decide where to buy.

I think that this is a (more) consideration when you are buying a new model, (judging by past performance by Nikon) ..... that was my main point

With the D750, Nikon UK have repaired cameras purchased Grey, for the different flare issues etc...... So if it's an early purchase and a manufacturing fault is found, you would expect them to do the same with the D500. On my second purchase of the D750 from Panamoz there was debris in the VF after a week. I contacted them, they arranged collection next day and refunded me two days later. A lot quicker than some of the mail order companies in the UK.

Checked with Wex this morning and they are reporting the same - late April.

I was hoping to get this by the end of April as I have a week away in Norfolk from 30th April :(

I am thinking of cancelling and just waiting then buying grey later in the summer - I have a holiday in Scotland (mainly Mull) early June and would really like 10 frames per second for the sea eagles :(

Checked with Wex this morning and they are reporting the same - late April.

I was hoping to get this by the end of April as I have a week away in Norfolk from 30th April :(

I am thinking of cancelling and just waiting then buying grey later in the summer - I have a holiday in Scotland (mainly Mull) early June and would really like 10 frames per second for the sea eagles :(

I have a trip booked on 13th June so hoping for it before then. Fingers crossed it's soon then!

This 10fps thing has got me wondering. It's been said that to get the full benefit of the camera, you need a fast qxd card...but getting the full benefit would mean shooting 10fps for 200 frames at 14 bit. I only shoot 12bit and would be happy with just a few seconds of shooting at a time so would never need the full 200. I wonder if the 95mb/s SD cards would do just fine, anybody know?

I wonder if the 95mb/s SD cards would do just fine, anybody know?

All types of questions like this will hopefully be know in a couple of days. :D

A few random things from the Manual so far.

The first thing I saw that I liked was Roll and Pitch indicators in the Viewfinder. I was hoping that would be there. :)

I like the split screen in Live View to match up something at both edges of the frame, to allow matching of a horizon for example.

You can use the touch screen to initiate the Shutter. Not groundbreaking, and something you would expect from any touchscreen camera, but you can't count on Nikon to do the expected. :( ;) :LOL:

I know some things will have already been in other cameras, but these are things that were not in the D300/D300S. :)

I would probably advise that for any Nikon camera, and that is there fault, and if there had been a 'D400', I would probably be doing that, but the D500 is such a big improvement over my D300S, that I am willing to take the chance.
Well I've been 'bitten' by both recalls on the D750 and it's a PITA to be without the camera for a week or so :(

Well I've been 'bitten' by both recalls on the D750 and it's a PITA to be without the camera for a week or so :(
Thankfully I will keep the cameras I have now (D300S and D200) so if anything were to go wrong necessitating the camera going back, I would not be left cameraless. Still be a PITA, but not as much as it would be to those with only the one camera.

Last edited:
Yeah seen a few people on their in the US have got their hands on them! Not sure if I can look on my PC until tomorrow so hope they don't get taken down due to being downloaded too many times!

It's great that people are getting their D500s but it would be nice if Nikon could give our retailers an idea of when we will get them in the UK

Would be nice, instead of going to a rumour site to get the latest info and wonder if it is correct :)

Nikon rumors just posted to indicate it's going to be Tues 26th Apr for the UK.

Last edited:
Back