D500

I'm posting this as it was a bit of a mistake - not because it's a great shot!
It's at Brandon Marsh yesterday, a friendly robin grab shot with the D500 - the interest being it's ISO 25600 (Jpg fine with no noise reduction applied).

Robin - High ISO by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

D500, Nikkor 200-500mm, 1/800th @ f8, 400mm, ISO 25600

wow for that high an iso it's good. I have been thinking of upgrade from D90 mainly as I don't like the noise on that camera and while I was looking at the D850 I have also been looking at this mainly as I can use my current dx lenses.

I'm posting this as it was a bit of a mistake - not because it's a great shot!
It's at Brandon Marsh yesterday, a friendly robin grab shot with the D500 - the interest being that it's ISO 25600 (Jpg fine with no noise reduction applied).

Robin - High ISO by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

D500, Nikkor 200-500mm, 1/800th @ f8, 400mm, ISO 25600

Bloody hell my images look worse than that at iso1600

I'm not a huge spider fan - but those are indeed very cute! Are those rear facing eyes on the top/back of the head?
Firstly, thanks and a little bit about these cuties, they are not like other types of spiders, these are hunters and nothing else, they have silk spinners but 1, as a security feature for if they fall, 2, they build a little sac for when they sleep and having babies, 3, they don't build webs either.
Obviously big front eyes are there best feature, used for detection of prey and i believe the other eyes are for looking around but are not as good as the front eyes. These spiders are your friends [emoji888] they all have a personality and watch us as much as we watch them, try it one day.
Sorry for waffling on.

OK guys, just purchased another D500 (after selling mine last year and missing it). On that I had the genuine MB-D17 grip, but as I've bought the D500 with the 16-80 lens combo and a Nikon 200-500 VR as well, funds are a bit limited.

Whilst I've never considered non genuine grips before, to tide me over for a few months until funds allow, has anyone used one of the 3rd party grips on the D500 and can comment if they are any oggd or not (Neewer, Meike etc) ?

Also, will they work with the genuine Nikon EN-EL15 batteries ?

Last edited:
Morning All.

I'm looking for direct comparison/recommendations for someone who has had or has both these on the D500.

I'm in the process of getting a Nikon 70-200 2.8 (to replace my siggy) and id like to add a 200-500 or siggy 150-600 (prob sport) money wise they are about the same give or take a little, I'm mainly into sports stuff (motocross, football etc) but would like to try BIF and other such things.

looking through my sports stuff, my average is around the 125-175mm range, so I'm thinking the 200-500 might be too long for sports but I do tend to get closer so i don't have to ask my siggy to much at 200mm.

I'm mainly thinking IQ and focus speed but also price will have a slight factor as it prob won't be my most used lens.

cheers (y)

OK guys, just purchased another D500 (after selling mine last year and missing it). On that I had the genuine MB-D17 grip, but as I've bought the D500 with the 16-80 lens combo and a Nikon 200-500 VR as well, funds are a bit limited.

Whilst I've never considered non genuine grips before, to tide me over for a few months until funds allow, has anyone used one of the 3rd party grips on the D500 and can comment if they are any oggd or not (Newwer, Meike etc) ?

I’ve got Meike. Never missed a beat.
Don’t go out if it’s too wet mind you..
Mostly using the camera without now. I find it handles ok and I just pocket a spare battery.

Whilst I've never considered non genuine grips before, to tide me over for a few months until funds allow, has anyone used one of the 3rd party grips on the D500 and can comment if they are any oggd or not (Newwer, Meike etc) ?

I've got the Neewer version - no problems at all.

As an add, i think there's the second hand Meike for sale in the classified (if you wanted to try a cheap version)

Where about mate - can't seem to find it ?

Cheers Scott - I've PM'd him to see if it's still for sale.

Another quick question please. As I sold off my XQD cards last year with the D500, it means I don't have any for when the new D500 arrives.

I do have plenty of medium fast (100mb/sec) UHS II cards from Sony and Lexar in capacities up to 128 GB. I don't tend to pray and pray, and would never get anywhere near the 200 shot buffer (nearer 10-12 shots at a time). That being the case, until funds allow (or if Father Christmas looks upon me nicely) woudl I be OK with the SD cards or is an XQD really a must?

Just borrowed the shop display D500 until mine arrives and they have been using it with just an SD card, it was set in the menue i think.

Another quick question please. As I sold off my XQD cards last year with the D500, it means I don't have any for when the new D500 arrives.

I do have plenty of medium fast (100mb/sec) UHS II cards from Sony and Lexar in capacities up to 128 GB. I don't tend to pray and pray, and would never get anywhere near the 200 shot buffer (nearer 10-12 shots at a time). That being the case, until funds allow (or if Father Christmas looks upon me nicely) would I be OK with the SD cards or is an XQD really a must?
With those speeds of cards you should get about 70 pics in a burst. With what you are saying you normally do, that sounds like more than enough. Easy enough to check though. ;)

If only for real time back up I doubt you would need a XQD card by the sound of it. Good to back up for important pics though, just in case. ;)

I do have plenty of medium fast (100mb/sec) UHS II cards from Sony and Lexar in capacities up to 128 GB. I don't tend to pray and pray, and would never get anywhere near the 200 shot buffer (nearer 10-12 shots at a time). That being the case, until funds allow (or if Father Christmas looks upon me nicely) woudl I be OK with the SD cards or is an XQD really a must?
I’ve been using mine with a Sandisk 64g ultra, not the fastest but all I had to start, been doing football with it it’s fine for me, I only really do 4-5 burst at a time maybe, no idea if other disaplines need more ??

I will get a xqd but just so much money and I’d unlikely notice much difference.

Well after putting off getting a D500 for a couple of years, went for the D810 and although its an amazing camera, its not for me, then the D4 an amazing bit of kit but getting on a bit now, I finally got my hands on the D500 and after having an hour out with it this morning, all I can say is wow, I really should have bought one ages ago, cant wait to get out with it for a full day

Well after putting off getting a D500 for a couple of years, went for the D810 and although its an amazing camera, its not for me, then the D4 an amazing bit of kit but getting on a bit now, I finally got my hands on the D500 and after having an hour out with it this morning, all I can say is wow, I really should have bought one ages ago, cant wait to get out with it for a full day

Glad that you finally found something to be happy with. It’s been quite a journey ;)

I'm another newbie to the D500 ranks, just awaiting tomorrows delivery :banana:

Quick question, I use Photoshop Elements 14 which supports Adobe camera raw 9.5.

Is anyone using the exact same software to open the D500 NEF files?

I've had a Google but the results seems inconclusive, some say the 9.5 version will open D500 NEF files, some say no :confused:, cheers

Last edited:
Enjoy your d500 it is a cracking camera. Can't help with the raw file situation as I use ps cc.
Have you upgraded from a different nikon body?

Enjoy your d500 it is a cracking camera. Can't help with the raw file situation as I use ps cc.
Have you upgraded from a different nikon body?

Cheers

I'm on a D7200, the D500 is more of a 'want' than a 'need' :rolleyes::D

I'm another newbie to the D500 ranks, just awaiting tomorrows delivery :banana:

Quick question, I use Photoshop Elements 14 which supports Adobe camera raw 9.5.

Is anyone using the exact same software to open the D500 NEF files?

I've had a Google but the results seems inconclusive, some say the 9.5 version will open D500 NEF files, some say no :confused:, cheers

ACR update 9.5 is the first version that is compatible with the D500.

And it ways here that "Note: The shipped camera raw version for PSE 14 was 9.0 and can be upgraded to 9.5."

Hope that helps. :)

Last edited:
Oh yes, you definitely forgot the MUST HAVE it appears I forgot if for ages...……….rectified now ;)

Oh yes, you definitely forgot the MUST HAVE it appears I forgot if for ages...……….rectified now ;)

Yes I’ve never had a need or want, I only ever had a “must have because mine doesn’t have ............”

Thanks chaps, I did read that ACR 9.5 would open the D500 NEF but, typically for the internet, there's mixed opinions.

Anyway, hopefully not long to wait before I'll have the answer for meself :)

Well my new D500 body and the 200-500 Nikon arrived yesterday. Gave it a very quick run out at the local woods at lunchtime, and it was everything I remembered, and the Nikon 200-500 is wonderfully sharp even wide open @ 500mm. Here's a couple of the first shots. Not too shabby for ISO 4000 and 4500 on a gloomy and wet November day in the UK :D

Don't get me wrong, it's no sharper or with better colours etc. than my Micro Four thirds set up with the wonderful Olympus 40-150 F2.8 and 300 F4 with teleconveter duo (and especially with regards to size / weight etc.). But, as much as I love the portability and overall image quality of the EM1.2 and G9 combo in good light, in poorer light the D500 obliterates them for high ISO noise and focus acquisition and tracking.

Last edited:
quick question..my go to lens is the 16-80 f2.8-f4 but when i go to car shows, i often find 16mm is not wide enough so i'm considering something else.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something wider than 16mm ? F2.8 is useful due to the ( often ) poor light but not essential. Someone recommended the Tamron 10-24 g2 and there's the Sigma 10-20..Tokina 11-16/20....

Back