D600 - £2000!

menthel said:
Because talk equipment is full of gear whores and not photographers! ;)

Hmmmm....that's one of those statements you read and say "woahh hang on a minute..."

I think that it's the technology that makes half the fun of photography (but then again I am a gadget geek anyway).

Could I take as good shots with a D40??? Yes for 90% anyway. Would I have as much fun? Hmm.

Just because you enjoy your job/hobby and all that entails doesn't mean you should be devalued as a photographer - I'm quite happy to put my ego out there and say "clearly that's an incorrect statement".

There are a lot of people that day "just get out and shoot!!!". Which is fine. But knowledge on all that surrounds photography should not be discredited as it always leads to a better end result.

And just to clarify lol...I'm on here when going to and from clients etc, when I can't actually shoot anything anyway :)

Hmmmm....that's one of those statements you read and say "woahh hang on a minute..."

I think that it's the technology that makes half the fun of photography (but then again I am a gadget geek anyway).

Could I take as good shots with a D40??? Yes for 90% anyway. Would I have as much fun? Hmm.

Just because you enjoy your job/hobby and all that entails doesn't mean you should be devalued as a photographer - I'm quite happy to put my ego out there and say "clearly that's an incorrect statement".

There are a lot of people that day "just get out and shoot!!!". Which is fine. But knowledge on all that surrounds photography should not be discredited as it always leads to a better end result.

And just to clarify lol...I'm on here when going to and from clients etc, when I can't actually shoot anything anyway :)

Are you saying people actually pay you, to take pictures!;)

Well i've just priced up a d600 and a tamron 24-70 VC from panamoz for £2034, UK price around £3000 i'm very tempted in deed.

You are confusing lust with G.A.S.- the A stands for acquisition! ;)

I know what it stands for, but it still equates to lusting after, rather than actually needing something. Whether correct definition or not. Mr Pedantic :p

People scoffing about a scene mode is just utter snobbery. Don't use it if you don't want too, It's not like its using up a valuable function button or anything.

I liked the way that ISO and WB were there (on the D300) - so easy to change ISO when shooting. Occasionally the WB too. Its not snobbery from me, just a pain as it replaces buttons I would use with ones that I dont.

I liked the way that ISO and WB were there (on the D300) - so easy to change ISO when shooting. Occasionally the WB too. Its not snobbery from me, just a pain as it replaces buttons I would use with ones that I dont.

I was wondering about this difference - isnt it a case on both the D300 and the D600 that you press the Iso button and turn a dial? Just that the buttons are in different positions?

Rapscallion said:
I was wondering about this difference - isnt it a case on both the D300 and the D600 that you press the Iso button and turn a dial? Just that the buttons are in different positions?

Theses a bit of faffing as you have to make sure you're in shooting mode so press the shutter halfway to get out of playback and then you adjust.

Its a minor but I never use the scenes and definately would appreciate a dedicated ISO button rather than a combined button.

Oh right i was thinking people were just moaning about it being there and wanted the dial but without the scene mode. Now you explained, i can see how the d800 solution is much better.

Can someone tell me why it matters if a camera is classed as "consumer" or "professional"? Don't they still do the same thing?

It does matter if you want NPU membership though. Not that I do, but some might.

There is also a distinction between how 'pro' cameras are laid out compared to consumer bodies. It's not necessarily that one cares if the camera is classified as 'pro' or not, it just happens that if you want, for example, a dedicated metering mode selector switch on your Nikon, you're going to have to buy a pro body, doesn't matter if it's a £200 D200 or a £5000 D4.

I'd be amazed if anybody bought one of these bodies as a status symbol, it's not like they stamp the word 'professional' anywhere on them.

Last edited:
I picked up a D600 yesterday. It was the first new camera I've bought since the D3s three years ago.

I can't really comment on image quality because I can't shoot and upload any RAW files to LR3. But I can see that it feels ok in the hand (not as good as a D3 series but it's obviously smaller). The LCD screen is brilliant. I don't like two things so far:-

1) You can't add Auto ISO settings to the 'My Menu' screen. That's a real shame as I dip in and out of Auto ISO all the time and am constantly changing what I want the minimum shutter speed to be.

2) You can't make the little 'OK' button in the centre of the direction pad zoom in on the focus point when you're in image review. I found this a wonderful little trick for instantly checking sharpness on my D700/D3s.

That's all I can say for now. The fastest shutter speed is odd at 1/4000 sec but having a native ISO of 100 cancels that out in a way. Having a max sync speed of 1/200th is rather daft but again a lower ISO might help towards that. Of course putting a 1 stop ND filter over the lens will cure both issues in a flash.

It's lighter than a D700 but not terribly so - it stills feels like a well built camera.

It's smaller than a D700 but again not a great deal. The AE-L/AF-L button can be used as an AF-ON button (which is good) but it's a bit close to my right eye when I shoot (I shoot with my left eye).

No huge issues. I'm looking forward to seeing some big prints (in albums mainly) to see what difference the extra pixels makes.

Hey Ryan, hope all is good mate. Really looking forward to hearing how you get on with it as hoping to get one by early next year at the latest:)

All this muttering about what is 'professional' and what isn't is hilarious...

It reminds me of this (quite good) video where they compare a D800 to a Hasselblad H4D on a photo shoot and then watch the snobby professional photographers compare the photos, then attempt to justify the Hasselblad and it's huge cost over the D800, when frankly, they are not far off each other.

At the end, after some waffling, one of the reasons they give for having to use a £30,000 a camera is that he "needs to look like a professional" and "can't turn up at a photo shoot with a D800 and have a passer by say 'oh I've got one of those'"...

Lol!

See it here: http://youtu.be/9UBTE4xpvpk

The Mansurovs have got a D600....they say they are testing it against Nikon D700, Nikon D800E, Nikon D3s today. Sounds like they may put sample compariosn images up their site before the weekend

http://mansurovs.com/nikon-d600-is-here

DxO Mark test looks very promising........better than a D4 and D800 at "low light" ISO!!!

All this muttering about what is 'professional' and what isn't is hilarious...

It reminds me of this (quite good) video where they compare a D800 to a Hasselblad H4D on a photo shoot and then watch the snobby professional photographers compare the photos, then attempt to justify the Hasselblad and it's huge cost over the D800, when frankly, they are not far off each other.

At the end, after some waffling, one of the reasons they give for having to use a £30,000 a camera is that he "needs to look like a professional" and "can't turn up at a photo shoot with a D800 and have a passer by say 'oh I've got one of those'"...

Lol!

See it here: http://youtu.be/9UBTE4xpvpk

Again, though that comparison is interesting I do think it misses the point a bit. I don't think anybody thinks that Nikon's pro range should necessarily give better results, that is almost entirely driven by what sensor is fitted. A D300S is/was in Nikon's pro range, but would be out IQ'd by any current Nikon DSLR offering.

Maybe I see it differently, but I only gravitate to the Nikon pro range for the additional controls, ergonomics of larger body and being able to abuse them a bit. I love the sound of the D600's performance. If it was all wrapped up in a D800 shaped body, I'd have ordered one already I think. whether it's labelled 'pro' or not would be an irrelevance.

Good to see price coming down sharply...

A D700 vs D600 ISO comparison at 25600 ISO. D600 looks better but has different colour rendering (strong green channel?).

https://plus.google.com/107267083823737229376/posts

Does look impressive but one slight annoyance here. Both camera's native iso goes to 6400 so by comparing them at 25,600 is more of a test of the cameras in built software's ability to 'push' the exposure two stops.

Surely a more relevant comparison would be to compare both at 6400. I would still expect the D600 will do rather well mind.

Flash In The Pan said:
I'd imagine it'll be £1250 or less by Christmas...

I can well believe that, and I hope you are right.

From doing a bit of forum browsing here and there, it looks like an awful lot of D7000 owners, myself included, are itching to pull the trigger on the purchase of a D600, but are just currently waiting for the price to settle.

This really could be the start of the Full Frame for the masses revolution.

Bang a superzoom like the 28-300 VR on it and away you go.

I suspect many enthusiast D7000 owners want that full frame performance but have previously been put off by size, weight, and cost.

I took the D600 out for a quick spin today.

Initial impressions are:-

1) There's fringing! I'd never noticed CA in any of my pictures before except when using a 50mm prime wide open (or near to). With the D600 I'm seeing fringing with the 24-70 wide open and at F4. I'd only ever seen fringing like this on 5D mk II files.

2) Image quality is good with loads of detail - bear in mind these are only JPEG images I'm looking looking at as there are no Camera Raw profiles yet for LR3. Zooming in to 100% shows lots of detail (veins in eyes etc).

3) Images are sharp when the subject is stationary. Shooting grab shots of people in the street (I've done lots of street photography over the years) resulted in some very iffy results - none of which was particularly sharp. It makes me wonder if the AF is as good as the D700/D3/D3s. In fact, based on very unscientific tests I think the AF is worse.

4) Noise seems very good, but again I'm only looking at JPEG images and who's knows what the camera is doing to the file. I'll reserve judgement on noise performance until I see the RAW files.

5) Handling was fine - no issues there for me with average sized hands. I don't like small cameras and this didn't feel too small

6) Viewfinder was very good - brighter than a D700 I think.

I'm not really sure what more I can add - I'm just a working pro and I think I know a good camera when I use one. This seems ok but I think I need to really watch the focusing and pay particular attention to sharpness of moving subjects.

I took the D600 out for a quick spin today.

Initial impressions are:-

1) There's fringing! I'd never noticed CA in any of my pictures before except when using a 50mm prime wide open (or near to). With the D600 I'm seeing fringing with the 24-70 wide open and at F4. I'd only ever seen fringing like this on 5D mk II files.

2) Image quality is good with loads of detail - bear in mind these are only JPEG images I'm looking looking at as there are no Camera Raw profiles yet for LR3. Zooming in to 100% shows lots of detail (veins in eyes etc).

3) Images are sharp when the subject is stationary. Shooting grab shots of people in the street (I've done lots of street photography over the years) resulted in some very iffy results - none of which was particularly sharp. It makes me wonder if the AF is as good as the D700/D3/D3s. In fact, based on very unscientific tests I think the AF is worse.

4) Noise seems very good, but again I'm only looking at JPEG images and who's knows what the camera is doing to the file. I'll reserve judgement on noise performance until I see the RAW files.

5) Handling was fine - no issues there for me with average sized hands. I don't like small cameras and this didn't feel too small

6) Viewfinder was very good - brighter than a D700 I think.

I'm not really sure what more I can add - I'm just a working pro and I think I know a good camera when I use one. This seems ok but I think I need to really watch the focusing and pay particular attention to sharpness of moving subjects.

You sound less than impressed Ryan.

I said i'd buy one when they reached around £1500, and I ordered mine this morning. :D

Here's a question. How does ISO differ when using FF in DX mode?

Would it be any different? As far as I'm aware, crop mode just crops the image so you'd expect it to be the same, pixel for pixel. Unless I'm missing something.

I think I'm going to sell my:

5 month old D7000
Battery grip
18-200 VR
Tokina 11-16 2.8

And then see how many pennies I need to add to buy a D600 and 28-300!

So hold up.

If that's true and ISO performance is the same.

You effectively get 2 focal lengths (or range of length) in 1 lens and the only thing you lose is resolution and DOF???

Now....that is something to think about. You meaning a wedding photographer with 2 D600’s and primes will now have effectively 4 primes when using his or her custom setting to easily switch to DX crop mode.

Now I'm tempted.

Now....that is something to think about. You meaning a wedding photographer with 2 D600’s and primes will now have effectively 4 primes when using his or her custom setting to easily switch to DX crop mode.

Now I'm tempted.

No need to switch modes, just crop the image in post processing, that is all the DX mode is doing, only in camera (y)

So hold up.

If that's true and ISO performance is the same.

You effectively get 2 focal lengths (or range of length) in 1 lens and the only thing you lose is resolution and DOF???

Now I'm tempted.

Huge can of worms! Your DOF won't change just by turning on crop mode. Also of course your focal length won't change, just the field of view. Perspective etc will be unchanged.

Does the Field of view change through the viewfinder when you set it to dx mode?

rjbell said:
Does the Field of view change through the viewfinder when you set it to dx mode?

If it's like the D700 you just have a rectangle in the viewfinder showing the crop.

Back