D600 - £2000!

cambsno said:
Going a bit off topic, do you not think it unfair to use up the camera shops time last night and plan to again next week before ordering it from Panamoz? No wonder shops are closing all the time.

Every time I go to buy a bit of camera gear I walk into a high street shop first every time. Jessops, Wilkinsons, etc and every time I give them the opportunity of coming close to the price of an authorised UK online retailer such as Warehouse Express, and only one time out of buying 5 camera bodies could they come within £50 or so and made a sale.

I went into both Jessops and Wilkinsons in my town today to have a look at a D600.

Neither if them had one and Jessops didn't even know it existed.

And they wonder why people buy off the Internet.

The23rdman said:
The way I saw it the guy who tested the camera in the shop was being bullied because he chose to save some cash.

Thank you. That's certainly how it seemed to me at first until we all elaborated on it ! Any way, I think we should all drop it and focus on the gear itself !

Last edited:
Phil Young said:
I don't think anyone was being bullied....

Its not nice to the business to go in and use their time when you have zero intention of buying but take all their free advice anyway.

Like he Dave said...he phoned ahead and asked if it was OK to play with the cameras but wasn't going to buy.

So really people have no need to say Dave was in the wrong but people that do what I described above are leaches and show little respect for the business. Dave is not a leache - he merely wanted to test a body, nothing wrong as it's not detrimental to the business making money.

Thanks, let's all move on with no hard feelings!

daveb99 said:
Thank you. That's certainly how it felt to me.

I must have missed a few posts....did you explain how it was and then got bullied or did you ask if it was fair to buy online after going into a shop? Once you explained it was clear that there was no problem on your side.

(Genuine question, haven't read the above posts and on my phone so not going through them).

Every time I go to buy a bit of camera gear I walk into a high street shop first every time. Jessops, Wilkinsons, etc and every time I give them the opportunity of coming close to the price of an authorised UK online retailer such as Warehouse Express, and only one time out of buying 5 camera bodies could they come within £50 or so and made a sale.

I went into both Jessops and Wilkinsons in my town today to have a look at a D600.

Neither if them had one and Jessops didn't even know it existed.

And they wonder why people buy off the Internet.

Similar experience here. I don't have huge respect for chain stores. In my experience the people working there know little or nothing about the gear they are paid to sell. They rarely budge on prices, because they don't have the power to do so. I got a few euro off my purchases the other day, but only because I hinted that I might get a better deal down the road. It was like extracting teeth trying to get a few bob off :D but I managed.

They don't care if you buy or not, that's the impression I get most times. So I have no issue with people trying in store then buying online.

Thank you. That's certainly how it seemed to me at first until we all elaborated on it ! Any way, I think we should all drop it and focus on the gear itself !

Agreed. :)

The23rdman said:

Yes please. So who has bought one already and can share some feedback as to what they think? Especially comparisons to what they used before. Handling and stuff, not really interested in pixel perving. Condolences to your bank accounts if you paid full price though the low amazon price went back up anyways.

There are a lot of rich self-righteous people in this thread.

I wish i was rich nor am i self-righteous,its just i try if i can to suport my local camera shop,plus i like to try my gear before i buy.

Its just sometime i feel you cant have it both ways,try the gear before you buy,then look on the internet for the best price,and i am just saying if we all did it their will be no more high street shops,then where are you going to try the gear out before you buy ?.

Maybe that how it will go,haveing the liked of Ken Rockwell and like telling us what to buy, at the same time asking for money so that they can buy all the gear they want :shake:

Sorry not having a go at anybody,just stateing the facts :)

Also i must add,i starting buying cameras well before the internet,so my dealing with local shops goes back a long way,and in some ways would be sorry to see them go .

Last edited:
Its just sometime i feel you cant have it both ways,try the gear before you buy,then look on the internet for the best price,and i am just saying if we all did it their will be no more high street shops,then where are you going to try the gear out before you buy ?.

Ah, the Catch 22. If people don't buy in the shops, the shops will close and there will be nowhere to try out gear. :shrug:

Maybe that how it will go,haveing the liked of Ken Rockwell and like telling us what to buy, at the same time asking for money so that they can buy all the gear they want :shake:

Never listen to anything KR says imho. :eek: (I won't even use his name as it may be found in a Google search and push traffic his way;))

I think if there are no shops selling them, then it will just be you order it, and then send it back if you don't like it. :shrug:

You can't knock everything uncle Ken says.

His reviews are pretty good and I'm yet to find out he has given false facts in them.

He is very blunt, which I like, but unfortunately for him he is also very controversial - this doesn't mean everything that comes out of his mouth is rubbish......just a fair amount of it lol.

Phil Young said:

His reviews are pretty good and I'm yet to find out he has given false facts in them.

He is very blunt, which I like, but unfortunately for him he is also very controversial - this doesn't mean everything that comes out of his mouth is rubbish......just a fair amount of it lol.

Camera websites are like camera stores. If you don't like them, you don't have to visit. For me, I prefer wide and varied viewpoints especially personal ones to generic websites which may as well share the same author for the amount of relevant information they give that can't be found in the manual.

Yes please. So who has bought one already and can share some feedback as to what they think? Especially comparisons to what they used before. Handling and stuff, not really interested in pixel perving. Condolences to your bank accounts if you paid full price though the low amazon price went back up anyways.

I did that two pages back :bang:

ryanyboy said:
I did that two pages back :bang:

Three pages now and yes I'm waiting to see more reviews. Thanks for contributing to the thread as an actual user/ owner of a D600

Sometime he ok,but every camera that seem to come out,he got one on order or he brought it,he must be rich or getting a fair bit of money from his website,and the big thing about any review,it can never tell you how the camera feel in your hands,if your going to be useing one a lot,to me thats very inportant :)

Sometime he ok,but every camera that seem to come out,he got one on order or he brought it,he must be rich or getting a fair bit of money from his website,and the big thing about any review,it can never tell you how the camera feel in your hands,if your going to be useing one a lot,to me thats very inportant :)

Thats exactly the reason why I'm more drawn to the D800 over this as owning a D300s, I pretty much know what to expect when it comes to the size of the body and the weight. I've got big hands so a smaller body really isn't ideal at all for me sadly, even though the specs on it look great, as does the lower price!

I have given up on my list for the next best thing after 2 things...

1) I saw that the D600 is likely to be 1 & 1/2 stops better than my current body in terms of ISO.

2) I took this tonight and realised I need to stop lusting after the newest toy: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=436899

The D600 can suck out!!!! Lol I'm sure it will be a cracking camera....but I came to the conclusion, I don't need it :)

Looks very tempting over the D800 for me, just wait for the prices to settle down a bit and read a few reviews but at around 1500-1600 I think this would make a cracking purchase. Unfortunate Amazon have put their price up, didn't they do something similar with the D800 initially at £2099 before putting it back up?

Unfortunate Amazon have put their price up, didn't they do something similar with the D800 initially at £2099 before putting it back up?

Everyone put their prices up - Nikon said 'a mistake in pricing', hope this isn't a repeat.

Has anybody ever bought from One Stop Digital?

They have one for £1539.99 Very tempting...

Lots of folk on here have. I have used them 4 times and will do again. Efficient and reliable.

amazon prices can move up an down hourly, they use software to price beat competitors . Keep popping in every day the y will go down again.

£1599 in Dixons duty free at the airport, I know this isn't helpful to some people but i will be keeping an eye on the airport prices!

Amazon price is now £1799 for the d600 and only £2084.18 for the D800! No idea where the 18p comes from! I think the prices will be a bit erratic on the d600 for the moment but then should settle down at a lower price.

If it dropped to £1500, which is about €1800 currently, by Christmas - I might just treat myself. I'll mark it as being from the kids ... that'll be grand, right? They're only 5 & 8, but they get pocket money ...

Cagey75 said:
If it dropped to £1500, which is about €1800 currently, by Christmas - I might just treat myself. I'll mark it as being from the kids ... that'll be grand, right? They're only 5 & 8, but they get pocket money ...

I'm a canon user 5dll & 5dlll, normally. But have gone to the dark side and bought the D600 Nikon. I watched the price start at £2,000. Which was to high, then noticed amazon uk, dropped it to £1610.00 and jumped in and bought it. When I last looked it had gone up. Bought the 28-300, on order 16-35 and hoping to get 24-120. Got it last Friday, worked sat, then rained sun. So hoping to have a good go this weekend. What few photo's I've taken impressed so far. Reason for buying to reduce travel weight, and not take my white canon lens abroad. The hand luggage allowance was killing me.

Cagey75 said:

Mark it as being from Santa. That way the mrs can say nothing unless she wants to shatter that illusion for them on Xmas day.

boyfalldown said:
Mark it as being from Santa. That way the mrs can say nothing unless she wants to shatter that illusion for them on Xmas day.

Genius!

I'm using this for my Christmas treat!

S

Just type yourself a letter with the Nikon logo on the top, congratulating you on being selected randomly to test the new Nikon 600! As long as she doesnt see your bank account details your in the clear!

I'm a canon user 5dll & 5dlll, normally. But have gone to the dark side and bought the D600 Nikon. I watched the price start at £2,000. Which was to high, then noticed amazon uk, dropped it to £1610.00 and jumped in and bought it. When I last looked it had gone up. Bought the 28-300, on order 16-35 and hoping to get 24-120. Got it last Friday, worked sat, then rained sun. So hoping to have a good go this weekend. What few photo's I've taken impressed so far. Reason for buying to reduce travel weight, and not take my white canon lens abroad. The hand luggage allowance was killing me.

I am actually deciding between a D800, D600, and 5D3. So I would really value your review on how it compares to your 5D3 as an alternative.

Thanks

I had a chance to play with the D600 at the Jessops store in Oxford street and thought of sharing my thoughts.

Please bear in mind that I owned a D40X and now own a D3100, so for me this is more than an upgrade and several points I see discussed on what the D600 cannot do or does not have actually has less relevance for me and many others like me who are considering an upgrade from budget to a consumer FX. So my thoughts are just about what I felt after playing with the D600 and the 50mm F1.4G attahed to it.

It felt much heavier compared to my tiny D3100, but I felt it more sturdier, comfortable and easier to hold with a firm and secure feeling. The controls are very well laid out, but I was struggling to work them at the beginning, but after giving it a few minutes, I figured it our pretty well and it felt so much better and satisfying. The viewfinder is fantastic considering what I have on the D3100 and I can just upgrade for that. The LCD screen is so much better and bigger than my D3100. The controls and buttons were great to use and I could see myself satisfied without going through several menu items and I was excited to be able to reach out and change settings with such ease on the D600. The mode dials were great to use and although I found the mode lock on shooting modes bit weird, I didn't had any issues using that.

I did some shooting using the 50mm F1.4 lens at the store. Stores have strange and challenging lighting, but the D600 nailed it pretty well with Auto WB. The Autofocus was so much more responsive, faster and snappier compared to my D3100 that I fell in love with the D600. I was also surprised to see how effectively it was picking up particular points for focus even with objects so close to each other and focus points on camera so close to each other as well. It was like somehow it was selecting objects I wanted to focus anyway in most cases. Shots on the LCD at wide apertures looked excellent and in focus in all shots I took. I tried ISO 3200 and 6400 and was gob smacked at the quality which my D3100 can never achieve. This to me, is a reason I want to upgrade to a FX body as I often shoot indoors in challenging conditions and during night times.

What I didn't like - Only one thing. The AF points are crammed up in the middle and even my D3100 has points that are spread wider than the D600. I shoot landscape format portraits and this would require me to recompose more that I'd like to do. However, I tried a few with the saleslady and found it as not such a big issue as the AF and response was so good on the D600. But, still something I am not sure why it is designed that way.

Overall, I loved using the D600 so much that I now I am really thinking too much about it. It is still expensive for me, but I am hoping it would come down in price in few months.

I am sure there are many like me who are considering a upgrade from a DX body and who do not have much knowledge on FX and for them I can say that D600 is a treat to use. I see a lot of people talking about what is missing and why Nikon didn't implement certain things etc and see their point based on their experience and expectations. But, when I look at the D600 from my perspective - I see it as a much more capable camera than what I was expecting and it would take a me a long time to outgrow this DSLR.

For people sitting on the fence on consumer DX->FX upgrade, I think Nikon has a great camera on offer, but it is still too expensive. It may not have some of the pro qualities, but it takes great pictures nonetheless and perhaps better than many pro FX bodies. Nikon has added the D600 as a Consumer FX and this is something one should not forget while evaluating D600 against others.

I understand that many are not satisfied with too many pixel on the pro D800 (and a few other things) and were expecting D600 to be a pro alternative to D800 and their expectations were not met. But, if one looks closely, Nikon didn't come up with full pro FX in a D600 and it is pretty clear from their side and hence D600 should not be blamed for what it is not and also not intended for. Perhaps a D650 or D750 would address such needs.

Last edited:
Amazon price is now £1799 for the d600 and only £2084.18 for the D800! No idea where the 18p comes from! I think the prices will be a bit erratic on the d600 for the moment but then should settle down at a lower price.

D600 is £1699 from MPB

No rear button AF-ON ... is it possible to assign the AE-L button to focusing duties ?

Back