D750 vs 5d Mark IV (weddings)

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Has anyone got an opinion to compare these two cameras for wedding use?

I've had the D750 and the 5DM3 in the past, and from memory I preferred the 5DM3 ergonomics.

I will be shooting C-AF using back-button.

The D750 is half the price of the 5DM4, which is a compelling argument when I just want a workhorse to do wedding and get another camera to enjoy for travel/portraits.

What has the 5DM4 got going for it, that I should strongly consider it? I can't remember how good the D750 AF was, but I am going to need it performing in adverse (heavy backlit, low light) conditions.

I was thinking I'd get a fast 50mm prime and a 70-200. Quality, speed and accuracy are all important and I shoot wide open narrow DOF apertures most of the time.

Last edited:
They will both deliver perfectly good results when shooting weddings and are both stable choices for many working wedding photographers. I used a D750 alongside my A6000 for the last wedding I shot and the clients were happy with the results (and didn't highlight the fact that around 40% of the final images were from the APS-C A6000 either which says much more..). I'd say the priority is the handling for you as either will be fine.

I use nikon and so would say d750 all the way! But a canon user will justify the huge price hike

No experience of Canon but.... all I'd say the Dynamic range of the D750 is awesome along with low noise relative to high ISO.

As for AF - 3D group focus tracking would be far better than single point C-AF. Again, no Canon experience. (Not even sure Canon has an equivalent).

No experience of Canon but.... all I'd say the Dynamic range of the D750 is awesome along with low noise relative to high ISO.

As for AF - 3D group focus tracking would be far better than single point C-AF. Again, no Canon experience. (Not even sure Canon has an equivalent).

It I am following what you mean, when it comes to large apertures I am concerned about not using single point AF on the eye - since when you get close enough there can be difference of focus between the side of the head and the eye.

but maybe, just maybe at this point I should be narrowing the aperture ! heaven forbid :D

Last edited:
I'd rather had 2 750's than 1 canon

It I am following what you mean, when it comes to large apertures I am concerned about not using single point AF on the eye - since when you get close enough there can be difference of focus between the side of the head and the eye.

You get my drift exactly. And you see the problem it presents. However, C-AF allows you very little opportunity for recomposition - if only even marginally.

I believe single point, focus tracking is also possible on the D750. I use Group tracking in Rugby shots (not a lot different from a wedding). There are so many possibilities with AF - I've never seriously tried them all :)

the 5d mk111 is still a great camera for wedding use and available at a lot lower price point than the 4.

What about a d700? I've got one with 162,000 clicks on it and is still fantastic! I've got a mate who uses a Fuji XT1 and a d7200 nikon professionally! It's the same as always it's the person pushing the button

What about a d700? I've got one with 162,000 clicks on it and is still fantastic! I've got a mate who uses a Fuji XT1 and a d7200 nikon professionally! It's the same as always it's the person pushing the button

I'm selling my leica sl and lenses because it doesn't matter how hard I press the button sometimes it doesn't lock af...

I've been considering a trip to the "dark side" with a Canon 5DIV and have been reading a lot of reviews, etc and it does seem that most are happy enough with the Mark IV but it seems to me that the extra cost of the 5DIV is a lot for an extra 6MP and built in GPS although I reckon it also gets quite a premium as its very much marked as a Videographers body as well.

Good write up on Petapixel about it as a Wedding Body https://petapixel.com/2016/10/13/canon-5d-mark-iv-review-eyes-wedding-photographer/

As a recent convert to the D750, and using it mostly wide open or close to (I'm finding f2 to f2.5 to be my fav), I can't imagine what a camera could do that'd suit me any better for Weddings

I shoot using single point AF, and the centre one mostly when it really matters when I'm close and the DoF is fk all, so I just shoot a little wider and crop to compose off-centre

I have 4 priimes from 20 to 85mm and haven't missed my 70-200 at all as yet

I'm sure the Canon is just as good but if price is a consideration then its obvious I'd happily recommend the D750

Dave

I've been considering a trip to the "dark side" with a Canon 5DIV and have been reading a lot of reviews, etc and it does seem that most are happy enough with the Mark IV but it seems to me that the extra cost of the 5DIV is a lot for an extra 6MP and built in GPS although I reckon it also gets quite a premium as its very much marked as a Videographers body as well.

Good write up on Petapixel about it as a Wedding Body https://petapixel.com/2016/10/13/canon-5d-mark-iv-review-eyes-wedding-photographer/
I love the 5d4. Amazing

As a recent convert to the D750, and using it mostly wide open or close to (I'm finding f2 to f2.5 to be my fav), I can't imagine what a camera could do that'd suit me any better for Weddings

I shoot using single point AF, and the centre one mostly when it really matters when I'm close and the DoF is fk all, so I just shoot a little wider and crop to compose off-centre

I have 4 priimes from 20 to 85mm and haven't missed my 70-200 at all as yet

I'm sure the Canon is just as good but if price is a consideration then its obvious I'd happily recommend the D750

Dave

I used to mainly like 35+85

But found the 90-280 of the SL good for ceremony, speeches and outdoors when people are spread out.
Apart from limited options, I settled on 50mm for indoor, getting ready, dance, cake shots
And anything wide was 28mm from the Leica Q and I will continue to use that.

But i am second shooting...

I'm going to be shooting a music and beer festival gig soon, and feel it'll be useful then too.

Last edited:
I love the 5d4. Amazing

Jonney, what do you mainly use it for? I've never owned a Canon (its probably the only make I've not) and I've been tempted by the huge availability of lenses and the massive used market v my current Pentax setup.

I used to mainly like 35+85

But found the 90-280 of the SL good for ceremony, speeches and outdoors when people are spread out.

Apart from limited options, I settled on 50mm for indoor, getting ready, dance, cake shots

And anything wide was 28mm from the Leica Q and I will continue to use that.

I'm going to be shooting a music and beer festival gig soon, and feel it'll be useful then too.
I think the 5d4 is more robust then the d750. It has WiFi and touch screen which when you first used will love it.

If you have the money (which u will from the leica sell) I'd get the 5d4 as it has new tech and you already loved the ergonomics of the previous version.

The ergonomic plays a big role. So make sure you at least handle the nikon before making a decision

I think the 5d4 is more robust then the d750. It has WiFi and touch screen which when you first used will love it.

If you have the money (which u will from the leica sell) I'd get the 5d4 as it has new tech and you already loved the ergonomics of the previous version.

The ergonomic plays a big role. So make sure you at least handle the nikon before making a decision

i've owned the D750 before :) i thought you knew, and I put it in the first post.

No AA, better build and button layout, better OVF, ISO 64, 1/8000, 1/250 sync, more MP for cropping, more DR and better colour depth. So quite a lot.

That's a damn good list :) I'll give it a look

it is also quieter..

Last edited:
D800 for wedding would need pc upgrade for the huge file sizes

Back