D750 vs 5d Mark IV (weddings)

No experience of Canon but.... all I'd say the Dynamic range of the D750 is awesome along with low noise relative to high ISO.

As for AF - 3D group focus tracking would be far better than single point C-AF. Again, no Canon experience. (Not even sure Canon has an equivalent).
3D group? I thought there was only one 3D mode, and that was single point to acquire focus then the camera automatically follows the subject. I personally still find single point the most accurate AF mode for both AF-S and AF-C. 3D doesn't have facial recognition so normally drifts off onto the torso, and group doesn't necessarily focus on the nearest eye, and as I recently found out at boxing, picks up on the background too often if the background is busy.
You get my drift exactly. And you see the problem it presents. However, C-AF allows you very little opportunity for recomposition - if only even marginally.

I believe single point, focus tracking is also possible on the D750. I use Group tracking in Rugby shots (not a lot different from a wedding). There are so many possibilities with AF - I've never seriously tried them all :)
The only AF-C mode that allows recompsition is 3D but as I've said already it's not infallible. Dan's a fan of BBF though so for me it would be single point AF-C all the way.

I think the 5d4 is more robust then the d750. It has WiFi and touch screen which when you first used will love it.

If you have the money (which u will from the leica sell) I'd get the 5d4 as it has new tech and you already loved the ergonomics of the previous version.

The ergonomic plays a big role. So make sure you at least handle the nikon before making a decision
Doesn't the D750 have wifi? ;) I've never got on with touch screens on cameras and always turn them off, tilt screen is MUCH more useful imo. New tech? So what, the sensor still isn't as good as the Nikon in terms of DR. You still get one stop more recovery with the D750.

No AA, better build and button layout, better OVF, ISO 64, 1/8000, 1/250 sync, more MP for cropping, more DR and better colour depth. So quite a lot.
Yeah, the D810 is so tempting, the quieter shutter would be welcomed too. The only thing stopping me buying one last month was the frame rate and noise handling isn't quite as good as the D750. The buffer would be welcomed though, that was the main reason I was considering swapping the D750. Not really an issue for weddings though ;)

One feature I like on the D750 which I believe Canon don't have is Auto min shutter speed when using Auto ISO. I can't believe any new camera doesn't have this tbh, so useful. Not only do you not have to worry swapping lenses as the camera will automatically select 1/focal length as the slowest shutter you can tweak this so it's +/- a stop or two of the focal length should you have particularly steady hands or particularly shaky hands.

One feature I like on the D750 which I believe Canon don't have is Auto min shutter speed when using Auto ISO. I can't believe any new camera doesn't have this tbh, so useful. Not only do you not have to worry swapping lenses as the camera will automatically select 1/focal length as the slowest shutter you can tweak this so it's +/- a stop or two of the focal length should you have particularly steady hands or particularly shaky hands.

I use it on the Sl

But more lately u use shutter priority mode it forces widest aperture whilst I dial in shutter speed appropriate for subject

Auto ISO is such a brilliant feature, my Sony A6000 has it also. Very handy for spontaneous situations where you may not have time to be worrying about exposure, especially in manual mode where you know you need a certain shutter speed due to subject movement you can just crank it up and not worry about being underexposed.

There is a minimum speed setting in the mkIV, I've set it to 30" though or that's what it defaults at.

There is a minimum speed setting in the mkIV, I've set it to 30" though or that's what it defaults at.
The Nikon will allow an "automatic" Auto setting which varies by focal length. So a 50mm lens (or zoom set to 50mm) sets the minimum to 1/50th; a 85mm sets minimum of 1/85th and a 200mm sets minimumto 1/200th, etc.

The Nikon will allow an "automatic" Auto setting which varies by focal length. So a 50mm lens (or zoom set to 50mm) sets the minimum to 1/50th; a 85mm sets minimum of 1/85th and a 200mm sets minimumto 1/200th, etc.

That's what I want!

Although I have got used to paying attention to my settings now, it has become my workflow so not sure if automated another thing is a good thing or bad thing, I am lazy enough already :p

Which ever camera you choose the clients will not see any difference in the final images so might as well go for the cheapest and have money left to buy lens.

As Eloise says, it was the auto feature I was referring to. Just having a min shutter speed isn't really useful if you change from a wide angle where you could get away with 1/30 to a theme where you need 1/200 or faster.

So in closing, spend the most and spend the least :D

thanks all :)
Lol, just get the one you're happy with. But food for thought, based on UK prices if you bought the D750, 35mm f1.8g, Sigma 50mm f1.4 art, and 85mm f1.8g it'd still be cheaper than the 5D4 body only. Even if you bought the bodies from Panamoz the Nikon plus those three lenses is Pretty much the same price as the 5D4 body only.

Last edited:
Lol, just get the one you're happy with. But food for thought, based on UK prices if you bought the D750, 35mm f1.8g, Sigma 50mm f1.4 art, and 85mm f1.8g it'd still be cheaper than the 5D4 body only. Even if you bought the bodies from Panamoz the Nikon plus those three lenses is Pretty much the same price as the 5D4 body only.
Why no love for the d810?

So go for a canon rebel and attach a 85 prime?hehe
Yeah cos that has the same AF and high ISO performance doesn't it :rolleyes: ;) Just because the 5D4's more expensive it doesn't mean it's going to deliver better results :p

Yeah cos that has the same AF and high ISO performance doesn't it :rolleyes: ;) Just because the 5D4's more expensive it doesn't mean it's going to deliver better results :p

Which is the point of this thread, to understand where the 5DM4 might differ to justify the cost :) if at all it will

Which is the point of this thread, to understand where the 5DM4 might differ to justify the cost :) if at all it will
Primarily build quality and the Canon badge. Dual RAW is a waste of time, although dual pixel does enable better liveview AF. Touchscreen, if it's something you use. 1/8000 shutter, 0.5fps more with 5 shot better buffer. Poor auto ISO implementation, 1 ev less DR, no flip screen. IT is hard to see where the £1900 (UK price) difference is tbh. It's £1100 more than the D810 which has the build, and the benefit of no AA filter. Of course the D810 has no flip screen or touchscreen, lower frame rate although much better buffer. Noise of the D810 is more or less on par when downsized, marginally worse perhaps if really really scrutinising.

Of course these prices are a bit skewed because of age of the cameras and the loss of value of the pound, I forget what the price of the D810 was on launch and that was before the whole 'brexit' fiasco.

And I think the answer is it probably won't. What's more important is the handling for you as the photographer and the lenses that you want to use. Anybody can take a good photograph with either system (and also take bad ones in equal measure!).

I'm glad you like the SL overall but it does go to show that regardless of the design/brand/model/cost, mirrorless bodies with contrast detect only will still not focus as consistently (in lower light or with moving targets) than a phase detect system. It's just a shame that Leica didn't use a similar combined AF system as the A7rii for their flagship mirrorless body.

3D group? I thought there was only one 3D mode, and that was single point to acquire focus then the camera automatically follows the subject. I personally still find single point the most accurate AF mode for both AF-S and AF-C. 3D doesn't have facial recognition so normally drifts off onto the torso, and group doesn't necessarily focus on the nearest eye, and as I recently found out at boxing, picks up on the background too often if the background is busy

Hi Snerk.... I think I was confusing myself (and probably everybody else) you're quite right about GRP and 3D. There are so many options that I've never really tested/tried.

However, this may be the reason for your boxing errors....

750_3D.jpg

I concur over single point AF-C but for a wedding, I'd still prefer AF-S

:banana:

In all honesty I've never owned a Canon properly other than a little dabble with a 100D that my daughter had for a while. I do fancy trying one at some point but the bodies are so expensive. Even the 5D3 is more expensive than the D750.

Hi Snerk.... I think I was confusing myself (and probably everybody else) you're quite right about GRP and 3D. There are so many options that I've never really tested/tried.

However, this may be the reason for your boxing errors....

750_3D.jpg

I concur over single point AF-C but for a wedding, I'd still prefer AF-S
It was group that caused the issues with boxing ;)

:banana:

In all honesty I've never owned a Canon properly other than a little dabble with a 100D that my daughter had for a while. I do fancy trying one at some point but the bodies are so expensive. Even the 5D3 is more expensive than the D750.
YEah I fancy trying the 5D4 as well, more out of curiosity than anything. Shame they're so expensive, as is hiring the gear.

YEah I fancy trying the 5D4 as well, more out of curiosity than anything. Shame they're so expensive, as is hiring the gear.

I do fancy trying a Canon myself, I find myself looking through my favourites on Flickr and seeing that the travel and city shots I prefer tend to be shot with a 6D or 5Diii, I don't know if its the colour rending or what but there does seem something I like about the colours from a Canon body.

There's a reason why Canon sell more 5d3 then a d750!
Yes, canon got the lion's share of the market when the first AF systems came along and the market hasn't changed since. When equipment is so closely matched you aren't going to get people ditching one system in favour of another when they are already heavily invested. Plus for pros the pro backup is better from Canon, although you have to pay for it.

I thought you pre-ordered the A9 because your 5D4 was rubbish at something or other? I've forgotten what you said because it was a few weeks ago but I see you've already started having doubts about the Sony?

He usually preorders based on fiction.... and youtube bloggers that have absolutely no incentive whatsoever to push a product. :D

Last edited:
Unless you want to just shoot on a 35mm and crop - no-one needs more pixies than the D750 - in fact, even 24mp is overkill

And as for the buffer comment - yes it can 'only' shoot for 15 frames and just over 2 secs at the highest bit depth, but 15 frames at 8fps at a Wedding? Who the Hell shoots 8fps at a Wedding? My Brides rarely walk fast let alone sprint :D

Dave

My mate who is a pro doesn't use anymore than 12mp! It's wasted

s*** photographers!!!!
Rapid fire in hope of catching it right

lol

I do sometimes find a use for a burst, but mine's set to 3fps and a big burst might be 5 frames - just the things like creating a series of "You may now kiss the Bride", and in the days when people did it (which they haven't for years) the tossing of the bouquet

I doubt I've ever hit the buffer on any camera I've ever owned using it at a Wedding

Dave

My mate who is a pro doesn't use anymore than 12mp! It's wasted

My first Wedding albums used to have 2-page spreads (so about A3 in size) from my D100, which was a 6.1mp camera

And yes, they were fine, though I accept I did see a bit of an improvement when I jumped to using the D2Xs at 12mp :)

Dave

Unless you want to just shoot on a 35mm and crop - no-one needs more pixies than the D750 - in fact, even 24mp is overkill

And as for the buffer comment - yes it can 'only' shoot for 15 frames and just over 2 secs at the highest bit depth, but 15 frames at 8fps at a Wedding? Who the Hell shoots 8fps at a Wedding? My Brides rarely walk fast let alone sprint :D

Dave
I only mentioned frame rate and buffer as it was asked why the Canon was so much more expensive, not that I thought it was useful for weddings :p

You can also tweak it based on how steady you are, it can be between 0.5x and 2x focal length I believe.

I just leave mine on 1/250 though

You can also tweak it based on how steady you are, it can be between 0.5x and 2x focal length I believe.

I just leave mine on 1/250 though
I mentioned that in post 42 :p

Interesting that you have the shutter so high constantly, what's the thought behind that?

I mentioned that in post 42 :p

Interesting that you have the shutter so high constantly, what's the thought behind that?

Just to minimise any chance of motion blur. I'll turn it down if the venue is really dark though, but that's my go-to setting. And I have it set to -0.7 exposure compensation

Back