D800 or D800E

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
I'm now in the market to get either of these.

My glass I'm fairly happy with so don't see that as an issue but I'm not convinced 'yet' of the price difference between the 2.

My shooting is:

amateur (totally) :LOL:
plays in my studio - ;)
likes macro,
likes big crops,
don't really do landscapes,
likes birdies...,
likes dogs,
likes scenic - but not really WIDE ANGLE...
I'm not a 'take 10 a second man',
zero interest in video,
Favourite lens is 70-200 vr2 (usually at 200mm !),

I can afford either - but not both - lol (have a very understanding wife...:D) but unsure if the extra £300 will be better spent on a 85mm 1.4...

£300 can be put to much better use than getting less...

Have to agree, I see no reason to have an 'E' over my D800 :)

Don't get me wrong I'm quite happy to spend more !!!
& I'm not so skint I can't afford it yet but will I end up thinking - if only ?

I don't think that the photos you will get from a D800e are £300 sharper than what you get from a D800.

I m more than pleased with the sharpness I get out of my D800

Get the E, it might not be much better than the standard 800, but you'll spend the rest of your life wondering what your missing......

Oh I suspect that I'll get the lens anyway - (just cos I can - lol).

I will have a 50/50 chance of doing a safari next year as the wife would like to do that. Is the difference between the 800 & the 800e enough so that if you could only take 1 what would it be?

Get the E, it might not be much better than the standard 800, but you'll spend the rest of your life wondering what your missing......

Agreed, If you can get the E version get the E
I for one would keep wondering should I have :shrug:
Maybe not logical but it is human nature :D

Martin

I could have afforded either, I mainly photograph birds, I was concerned that birds feathers could be inclined to producing moire, I went for the D800.

I have never thought I wish I had got the e version.

I have thought I wish the D4 had been cheaper :D

Having owned both the E is definitely sharper. I only got the E after issues with my standard d800.
Would I have payed all the extra...probably not as I was at my max spending amd the E was alot more whne I bought mine.

Money being a non issue. Yes I would go for the E over the standard.

Well you won't get an 85mm f1.4 for £300 (you might get a 1.8).

I have the D800E, and it is sharper. But for what you want the D800 would probably be more than fine *if* you were tight on budget. That said I'd rather have the D800E and use the 70-200mm at 85mm/f2.8 than have another 85mm prime unless you would shoot at 85mm f1.8 a heck of a lot.

£300 in 6 months time for the lens if you needed it wouldn't be as much of an issue as trying to sell the D800 to buy a D800E and needing to find the extra £300 and dealing with the depreciation of the body.

As for moire, I very very rarely see any certainly not in animal fur or feathers. In fact I'd say with only 2 occasions when I would probably have expected it anyway (AA filter or not) I haven't considered it an issue.

As I said its £300 towards a lens - not the whole sum - think I can get a 85mm 1.4 AF-S for £700ish and thats fine.

I'm not even remotely tight on budget - Wife is cool about a new 800e (£2100) but I want to save money for a safari & if I'm not going to require the 800e then thats more money in that pot...

The lens will come anyway...lol - shes fine about me buying good glass.

You never say I wish I'd bought the cheaper one but you will say at some point I wish I'd bought the more expensive one

Get the E if you can afford it :)

Buy D4 and never look back .......... :D :LOL:

Well, mostly when i am in that situations i always go with most expensive option, because when i buy the cheaper option out of 2 then i keep reading about that little more feature on the expensive one and then again i feel regret i didn't get that feature even it will cost more and not much benefit in photography, sometimes i feel those companies don't add any extra feature with extra money for waste, it is with everything in the world, you need more, pay more, and you all say "You get what you pay for", or "WYPIWYG".

I 'like' - lol the D4...
But it looks like the D800e is the winner...
I don't really do 'if onlys'..

Thanks for the help guys.

E is for exclusive, don't ya know? Only non E users say otherwise :p

Real world there's likely to be no difference between them, I own the D800 and it's capable of capturing amazing detail.. you'd probably need to be printing above 60x40 inch prints to notice the difference.

TBH looking at your shooting preferences though, especially shooting at the long end, I don't think I'd go FF :shrug:

Simon

Agree with Simon. Do you need FF? A top end cropped sensor DSLR would leave you with a nice bit of change for a lens or two

Dave

E is for exclusive, don't ya know? Only non E users say otherwise :p

got to agree with the "E" guys, buying the 800, would you not be thinking.."would that have been even better with the d800e" ?

The thing is, nearly everyone talks about lens X being a tad sharper than lens Y or Z, but it's more expensive etc. & most of us own more than just 1 lens, so why not spend an extra £250-£300 on the body & get the best out of every lens you own?

I think it's a relatively cheap `upgrade` for any potential gain.

Agree with Simon. Do you need FF? A top end cropped sensor DSLR would leave you with a nice bit of change for a lens or two

Dave

Sorry Dave - must have missed something here - I currently have a 'top end' Crop & until April it was Nikons best crop ?

The thing is:
I don't like it !
I currently have a love / hate relationshipl with it so rather than 'fight' it, it is time for a change.

I can get any of the range - Wife might protest at a D4 though - :D but replacing a 7000 for a 7100 seems a little crazy to me & when you bear in mind that every lens I own is a FF model so for me that seems the natural progression.

I've just got my wife a D3200 so if a crop sensor is required then that will be pressed into service. (y)

Now I could get a D600 /610 but while I have a supportive wife (& the money) also seems mad to do so...

& that only leaves the D800 / D800e.....

It looks as if I'll try & buy one next week.

Ah, with the extra info I can see where you are going, but I should have noticed what camera you already have - sorry.

Dave

To be honest, if the money is there, your wife has no issues with you spending the money and we all know that the e is sharper then just go and buy it.

My shooting is:

amateur (totally) :LOL:

Get a D600 then, why go out and buy a D800 at twice the price if you are an amateur. You can get an great 1.4 lens with the change left over.

I love my D800, i don't for one minute ponder about the E, i just get on with what i do.

Get a D600 then, why go out and buy a D800 at twice the price if you are an amateur. You can get an great 1.4 lens with the change left over.

I love my D800, i don't for one minute ponder about the E, i just get on with what i do.

I am an amateur and i have a digital medium format 60mp, so it doesn't matter what level i am, it all matters how much budget money i have to spend/waste after all, i know pros don't have so expensive gear and dreaming about it, so money is always there to be spent/wasted wisely or amateur-ly :D :LOL:

...it looks like the D800e is the winner...
There is not much you can get wrong when deciding between these two cameras, because I think the differences in the IQ will be almost indiscernible, but given your preferences listed in posting 1 of this thread, what little you could decide wong, I think did decide wrong :)

You do studio, so probably some people with their clothes on? That is not the e's domain. You don't do landscapes? That would be the e's domain. You like scenic but not landscapes - so some architecture I assume? That is not the e's domain :)

You will probably hardly ever see a difference between the 800 and 800e, but if you care for such little differences, you should maybe think it over again ;)

I went for the D800, just couldn't see that much of a difference when the RAWs were processed to warrant the extra money. The glass is what you should be looking at more than the D800 or the D800E. What lenses are you getting?

I went for the D800, just couldn't see that much of a difference when the RAWs were processed to warrant the extra money. The glass is what you should be looking at more than the D800 or the D800E. What lenses are you getting?

This is the difference I found. My E shots are definitely sharper. But after processing both to what I want theres not much if any noticeable difference.

I would also say that both cameras are equal at doing anything studio/landscape. Ive only encountered moire once in the past year shooting my E and I onky take people shots. Im also sure I experinaced it with my standard too.

The only glass I currently want is a 85mm 1.4..

I currently have (FF lenses):
60mm - to be sold & replaced by the 85mm
28-70
70-200
120-300

Now these will be perfect with the 800e... - There's also room for a 400mm...lol

My biggest priority is Cropping at present & currently my biggest issue with the 7000...

You should look at the 85mm f/1.8G, a brilliant little lens for the money compared to the 85mm f/1.4G.

Back