D810 Owners thread anything to do with the D810

Well you will have to decide for yourself. But I’m guessing it will be about 2000 above, some of the aircraft are massive and there is a running order knocking about.

I think it’s the big stuff first, then the loud stuff and possibly the red arrows at the end. (Please check)

I reckon I would start with the 35mm and have the 85 in my pocket ready.

Thanks for that Gremlin I will do as you say and see what kind of compositions I can come up with. Thanks mate.

From the info I have they will be going over in smaller waves so the 300 will be good as they may be quite high depending where you are, if its bright use iso 100 and shutter about 1/1000 and take a test shot in the sky to get the correct gradient of blue, once you have that I normally up the exposure slightly and have the sky slightly under exposed and adjust in photoshop and then adjust shadows too this normally gets rid of some noise and its always easier to get an under exposed shot right than trying to sort out blown skies

edit...…… normally about f12-14 too but adjust to conditions.

Now you've made this more difficult Pete haha! The 300mm would get single aircraft I take it but something like a 35 or 85 would maybe get the formations better? I love your formation shots above so maybe try to get something similar. What focal length was used for them Pete?

The first waves are props, starting with the slower aircraft BBMF C130s and then A400 then it moves onto the jets Craig 1/320 and f number to suit

Just read that there will be a 30 second spacing between waves and 2000+ height, anything smaller than 200 will just get dots in the sky Craig, you could go arty and get some buildings as framing with the 85 or get one wave at a time with the 300 or individual with the converter and 300, its a hard choice, I would send my 150-500 if it would get there in time for you to borrow

I'm in Maidenhead Pete and it's on the route they pass through on the day so I'm quite looking forward to it. Are you anywhere on the flight path too Pete?

Just read that there will be a 30 second spacing between waves and 2000+ height, anything smaller than 200 will just get dots in the sky Craig, you could go arty and get some buildings as framing with the 85 or get one wave at a time with the 300 or individual with the converter and 300, its a hard choice, I would send my 150-500 if it would get there in time for you to borrow

I think I'm going to go with the 300mm and try to capture waves and hopefully get some formation shots. If I can capture them as half as good as yours earlier on this post I will be very happy! 300mm it is. Thanks for your tips mate very much appreciated!

I'm in Maidenhead Pete and it's on the route they pass through on the day so I'm quite looking forward to it. Are you anywhere on the flight path too Pete?

I'm no where near mate and stuck in work so no chance of me seeing this, if you fancy borrowing my lens I don't mind mate so long as its back straight after for my holiday

I'm no where near mate and stuck in work so no chance of me seeing this, if you fancy borrowing my lens I don't mind mate so long as its back straight after for my holiday

Oh I appreciate the offer Pete I really do but I will just crop a little with the 300mm if I can't get close enough to them. That's why the D810 is so amazing haha!

Really appreciate the offer mate so thank you!

No worries mate, the offer is there till about 11am tomorrow after that it will be too late to post lol …………. have a good day mate and enjoy the show, I have seen the preview and it is special

Thanks again Pete but honest I think your recommendation of the 300mm will be ok and obviously some cropping is ok with the D810.

It does look very special mate. Can't wait! I will post the results here and hopefully you can give me lots of constructive criticism ;)

Oh I appreciate the offer Pete I really do but I will just crop a little with the 300mm if I can't get close enough to them. That's why the D810 is so amazing haha!

Really appreciate the offer mate so thank you!

Thanks again Pete but honest I think your recommendation of the 300mm will be ok and obviously some cropping is ok with the D810.

It does look very special mate. Can't wait! I will post the results here and hopefully you can give me lots of constructive criticism ;)

Just enjoy mate, its a once in a lifetime event, you wont see that again and the F35B is popping along with two Tornados second to last wave I think

@Dangermouse1964 Just seen your ad for your D810 in the classifieds and wondered what issues you’re having at airshows and what you’re panning to replace it with?

Its just the files are massive basically, I have filled a 2TB hard drive in a few weeks also its not as fast as I would like for the fast jets, hoping to replace with a D4.

Why not a D500 Pete? I am seriously looking at getting a second body and the D500 is screaming at me haha!

Yeh difficult choice isn't it. D4 and D500 would be both excellent for aircraft. Myself personally I like the 1.5x on the D500. It would turn my 300 into a 450 with the better AF too. I was just going to get the D850 and sell the D810 but I kind of like the idea of 2 cameras instead of 1 now.

The 1.5x is tempting for my 150-500 but I still want FX too so its a very tough choice, if the D810 doesn't sell it wont be a disaster as I do love it, its just not the correct tool for me

Fair enough, mine only gets serious use at maybe 4 airshows a year and perhaps 3 or 4 low level trips so I’d be surprised if I took more than 6000 shots a year.

Having owned a D500 for a while myself, you may find yourself disappointed in the image quality in comparison to the 810, particularly when the ISO starts to creep up. It’s also a shock when you start to crop and realise you have significantly less latitude!! If I’d never owned an 800 or 810 then I’d probably have been very happy with it but it just lacked a certain something. I know a few guys who shoot aviation professionally who’ve moved D500s on after a few months of ownership.

Fair enough, mine only gets serious use at maybe 4 airshows a year and perhaps 3 or 4 low level trips so I’d be surprised if I took more than 6000 shots a year.

Having owned a D500 for a while myself, you may find yourself disappointed in the image quality in comparison to the 810, particularly when the ISO starts to creep up. It’s also a shock when you start to crop and realise you have significantly less latitude!! If I’d never owned an 800 or 810 then I’d probably have been very happy with it but it just lacked a certain something. I know a few guys who shoot aviation professionally who’ve moved D500s on after a few months of ownership.

Funny you should say that. I was thinking exactly that about the D500, would it be anywhere near the IQ I've come to expect shooting with the D810. That is the nail in the coffin for the D500 for me then. Back to the drawing board haha.

My word that was fast, its sold for my asking price on the bay, took advantage of the £1 selling fees

Its just the files are massive basically, I have filled a 2TB hard drive in a few weeks also its not as fast as I would like for the fast jets, hoping to replace with a D4.
Sorry I don’t get the file size issue. File sizes on the D810 are big but not really that big (compared to other cameras on the market) that it should be a problem with storage. If you are using 14MB Lossless Compressed RAWs they should be circa 40MB. Add in a processed JPEG say of 20MB that’s an overall 60MB per image taken. With 2TB storage that over 33,000 images (both RAW and JPEG). Surely you can’t be taking that many images in a few weeks?

If you are going to get something with more FPS culling is still important as otherwise it’s just the same amount of storage being used up (5fps at 40MB is the same as 10fps at 20MB).

Last edited:
So it is goodbye to Pete on the D810 thread now as he no longer owns one;) . I suppose he could still post here about how much he misses it. I don't understand why buy an out of date Nikon go for the D5 and keep up to date,

Last edited:
At less than half the number of megapixels of the D810 - 16.2 v 36, you may need to consider some longer glass, particularly given the average UK airshow crowd-line!! Hope you enjoy the D4.

So it is goodbye to Pete on the D810 thread now as he no longer owns one;) . I suppose he could still post here about how much he misses it. I don't understand why buy an out of date Nikon go for the D5 and keep up to date,

HAHA I will keep popping in now and then, as for a D5 I dont have deep enough pockets so the D4 it is and its still a fantastic camera:D

The 1.5x is tempting for my 150-500 but I still want FX too so its a very tough choice, if the D810 doesn't sell it wont be a disaster as I do love it, its just not the correct tool for me
When you say not as fast do you mean the af?

Yes Mark, it wasn't bad but it did lose tracking quite a bit, it wasn't fast enough for my "off the hip" style, honestly I have nothing but praise for the D810 it really does what its supposed to do, and it excels, but I was pushing it to do things it isn't designed for.

Thanks Pete! Hows that D4 treating you? I'm so tempted to get it as a 2nd body!

Back