D810 Owners thread anything to do with the D810

The second one is just exquisite John, simply stunning shot, we were at Coningsby on Friday morning when MK356 took off but were at CG3 so it was behind the Bunkers when it got airborne so didn't manage a shot.

Thanks, it’s the first time I’ve seen her since the repaint, she’s absolutely stunning.

Had to smile, the above post was on a new page. Wow me thinks surely not my misses, one must need new glasses or see an optician. then I realised the talk was about the aircraft

One from Sunday and a stunning day above North Yorks. Whitby from 5000ft. Reflections from the window aren’t ideal but you get the idea.

29217644568_f385ed22bd_z.jpg

Anyone seeing an image in the above post? I can see it when I go to edit the post but get a red cross in the post itself.

It is a sharp one mate, much sharper than my 150-500 may go down that route myself some day.

Yes it's expensive but for the quality it provides in sharpness, contrast and everything else you just cannot beat the telephoto primes. I want a 600mm f4 but the money is just too much for me even 2nd hand

It is a sharp one mate, much sharper than my 150-500 may go down that route myself some day.
Even the 30+ year old manual focus 300mm f2.8 EDIF AI-s is pretty sharp wide open. Can be bought for peanuts too. (think mine was around £400 10 years back, I believe mine is from around 1986) I was planning on getting the 500mm f4 EDIF AI-p to go with it, but that was holding it's value quite well.
Sparrow by Kyle, on Flickr
Robin by Kyle, on Flickr

Extremely sharp at f4.
Mallard by Kyle, on Flickr
Mallard in The Ice by Kyle, on Flickr

Last edited:
The only thing stopping me from getting an older Nikon 300mm f2.8 was the fact I shoot sports and quick autofocus was the biggest priority. It's crazy to think though that the optics are probably very, very similar throughout the years ;)

I got mine for £1200 which was a very good price for the quality of the lens I feel.

We went to Cleethorpes yesterday, to the Armed Forces day, hot wasn't the word, I am burnt to a crisp, but it really was a fantastic day and my only slight niggle was, the displays were well over the sea due to current airshow regulations so not very photo friendly, still I am happy with lots of images I managed to get and I took well over 500 with a keep rate of about 85% so it looks like I am getting the hang of my D810 at last.
Heres a few, not the best in the world but not bad considering the action was a long way off.

All D810 at 400 iso 1/500-600 f14-18

_MGG8067_zps86tamuoz.jpg

_MGG8454_zpsh9acxoi6.jpg

_MGG8382_zpsce5qmrac.jpg

_MGG8369_zpsjwvmcv0m.jpg

_MGG8342_zpsoqh3tahw.jpg

Love the 2nd, 3rd and the last one Pete! Simplicity at it's finest! Would be hanging these on my wall if I was you ;)

Nice shots, but maybe Liam is a little too bright. He almost looks superimposed on the background. Great action shots though.
I think it's down to personal taste. I quite like the overall exposure. It's far more balanced than a lot of wedding shots I've seen (and skateboard mag photos from years ago). If I were to be pedantic, perhaps a little less light on the rim-light. Nevertheless, these are shots to be proud of.

Yeh I agree with you gremlin and Adrian. The rim light is a bit too bright which is causing that superimposed look. Very difficult to judge correctly when it's this bright outside but thankyou both for the kind words and constructive criticism.

Yeh I agree with you gremlin and Adrian. The rim light is a bit too bright which is causing that superimposed look. Very difficult to judge correctly when it's this bright outside but thankyou both for the kind words and constructive criticism.
I was nitpicking. I think it's important that the subject stands out. For me, the background (under)exposure is spot-on. I look forward to seeing your future work. The time you have in any situation is limited. You have to make decisions. Sometimes they're right. Sometime's they could be improved upon. But that's entirely up to you.

I was nitpicking. I think it's important that the subject stands out. For me, the background (under)exposure is spot-on. I look forward to seeing your future work. The time you have in any situation is limited. You have to make decisions. Sometimes they're right. Sometime's they could be improved upon. But that's entirely up to you.

Thanks Adrian for the compliments. I am a bit of a perfectionist with lighting and composition and all that good stuff so what you originally said about the rim light was spot on mate. I was thinking maybe it is a bit too hot when I was editing them. Thanks again.

A couple from me taken whilst in Pembrokeshire recently. Its the iconic and well photographed Church Rock at Broadhaven. Both taken using a 10 stop Firecrest ND to smooth the sea. Not sure which composition I liked so took both landscape and portrait.

Church Rock- Portrait
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Church Rock- Landscape
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Last edited:
A couple from me taken whilst in Pembrokeshire recently. Its the iconic and well photographed Church Rock at Broadhaven. Both taken using a 10 stop Firecrest ND to smooth the sea. Not sure which composition I liked so took both landscape and portrait.

Church Rock- Portrait
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Church Rock- Landscape
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

For me mate it's the portrait composition. I just like the space to the top rather than to the left. Both very nice shots though!

Getting better with this, shooting aircraft.

_MGG7536_zpslwxvl1sd.jpg

Pete there is an RAF flyover this coming Tuesday and I was thinking about trying to photograph some of them as they fly over my location. What would be your tips? I have a 300mm and a x2 teleconverter. Would 300mm be long enough do you think or should I add the teleconverter? Any tips on settings too? I guess it can't be so much more different than trying to shoot fast moving action sports can it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Personally, I’d be tempted to go the other way and shoot wide. It’s the formation which is the attraction here, the airframes can be seen individually at other locations.

I’m praying someone can get the whole thing in shot, or maybe a series of big formations in th lowest number of frames, but without seeing the scale of it, it’s hard to imagine.

Enjoy it either way.

Thanks Gremlin. So how wide would you think roughly? I have a 35, 85 and the 300mm. Only 1 camera unfortunately so I will have to just stick to what I go with haha. It will be difficult!

Well you will have to decide for yourself. But I’m guessing it will be about 2000 above, some of the aircraft are massive and there is a running order knocking about.

I think it’s the big stuff first, then the loud stuff and possibly the red arrows at the end. (Please check)

I reckon I would start with the 35mm and have the 85 in my pocket ready.

Pete there is an RAF flyover this coming Tuesday and I was thinking about trying to photograph some of them as they fly over my location. What would be your tips? I have a 300mm and a x2 teleconverter. Would 300mm be long enough do you think or should I add the teleconverter? Any tips on settings too? I guess it can't be so much more different than trying to shoot fast moving action sports can it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

From the info I have they will be going over in smaller waves so the 300 will be good as they may be quite high depending where you are, if its bright use iso 100 and shutter about 1/1000 and take a test shot in the sky to get the correct gradient of blue, once you have that I normally up the exposure slightly and have the sky slightly under exposed and adjust in photoshop and then adjust shadows too this normally gets rid of some noise and its always easier to get an under exposed shot right than trying to sort out blown skies

edit...…… normally about f12-14 too but adjust to conditions.

Last edited:
Back