D810 Owners thread anything to do with the D810

Well I've recently found this thread, so here's a few of my recent images with this incredible camera. As you can tell I like landscapes and nature :D

Elgol by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Lovin` the colours in this one Dave (y)

Last edited:
Some truly stunning shots appearing, I hope I can post some in about 10 days when I visit RAF Lakenheath and RAF Mildenhall

We go for a week every April, seen F22s F35s but still need to see some Bones, we camp there for about 7 days

Sounds cool. Looking forward to the pix (y)

Edit: Ignore, been answered in another thread (y)

Last edited:
Well mine is having a holiday in the Norwegian fjords very soon so will get a bit of a workout. Decided on the lenses to taken, that will be Nikon 24-70 f2.8, the Nikon 70-200 f2.8, Nikon 50mm f1.4 and my camcorder. taking the 50 mm lens as it is more descreet and obviously lighter. Might even sneak in the Nikon D800 as a backup camera.
AS we are sailing from Southampton got no luggage amount worries that you get if flying.

Last edited:
Well mine is having a holiday in the Norwegian fjords very soon so will get a bit of a workout. Decided on the lenses to taken, that will be Nikon 24-70 f2.8, the Nikon 70-200 f2.8, Nikon 50mm f1.4 and my camcorder. taking the 50 mm lens as it is more descreet and obviously lighter. Might even sneak in the Nikon D800 as a backup camera.
AS we are sailing from Southampton got no luggage amount worries that you get if flying.

That sounds really cool. Ther fjords are one of my bucket list trips, so will be looking forward to the shots (y)

checking up my 70-200 mm lens wasn't insured so got onto the insurance company and added it before the trip. Next year already booked for Japan, be interesting doing a comparison with our China trip we did a few years ago

Won't put up photos as they were taken with the D70s and no thread for that model

Last edited:
Posted in the landscape section as well, but not everyone may go in there :)

Cat Bells in the Lake District last week
On Top of the World by Dave Semmens, on Flickr
Great image, I would love to see those conditions in the lakes.

Another one from Cornwall, Sennen Cove.

Sennen Cove by Neil Almond, on Flickr
Love the simplicity of this.

A few more from Cornwall

Perched by Neil Almond, on Flickr

Botallack 2 by Neil Almond, on Flickr

St Michaels Mount by Neil Almond, on Flickr

Lands End by Neil Almond, on Flickr
Some nice takes of a few well known locations. Makes me want to go back to Cornwall again.

Last edited:
Bazza - the issue is that you are uploading full size images. They are showing smaller in the thread but if you click on them they are huge.

I have stopped coming on this thread if I am at home as it crashes my ipad due to the size of your images unless I mess around in another browser.

I find uploading the full size images to Flickr and then linking a smaller version to the thread works best for me. People can look at the image in the thread and then click on it and see it in more detail on Flickr if they want to.

Dave.

Dave

Nothing wrong in posting photos for monitors with a large screen. How on earth can one even think about doing any editing with some tiny hard to see viewer.. I don't use flicker
FP2FT69t.jpg

blow this up to 500 more and it is rubbish. Even this size has no detail. To show off ones work properly the photo should look to the viewer as if they are there when taken. . Basic rules of photography

I see no reason in posting anything above around 2048 pixels wide on any forum. That is around as large as most can display. I really don't think posting 7360 pixel wide images is helping anyone?

This has nothing to do with editing - it has to do with the size of image you are uploading - it is a full size file straight from the camera.

Dave I have removed all photos now, don't want to cause upset to anyone

Last edited:
Here is a screen grab of the top left corner of one of your images when I click on it - it may have a bit more compression from my downloading / re-uploading - but it has a lot of artefacts on the original when I click on it

Grab by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

I am not sure that is the type of quality you are after showing to people?

Last edited:
Bazza - I am trying to help show you that there are better ways of displaying images to get the best quality from them.

It is obvious from your posts that you want the images to be seen as high quality as possible but they are not coming through like that due to compression on the jpeg and then the forum doing its own compression as the images are so big.

My intention was not to upset you or to stop you posting / have you remove images :(

ok better I did not post any more photos.
Please don’t take it as we don’t want to see your images, we want to see them but due to their file size it’s just giving some of us issues seeing them. I can understand wanting to have them viewed at the best quality you can but that doesnt always mean the largest size possible is needed to do that especially for the internet. Someone who has more knowledge than me will likely be able to help with export settings for different web uses. Most of my images for web use are between 800-1024 on the longest edge.

My intention was not to upset you or to stop you posting / have you remove images :(
Neither was mine.

Last edited:
Question for you guys.... my macro lens is a Simga 180 f3.5 EX.... I bought for my D3, no problems and it also worked well on the D7100... Wind on a few years and now I have D500 and D810.... lens refused to work on both bodies on Saturday (first time attached) but after a while the lens started to work on D500, and subsequently worked like a dream... attach to D810 and nothing, no life. no AF switch on the lens BTW.

what am I missing? I spend spounds on the guide and they tell me nothing....

Question for you guys.... my macro lens is a Simga 180 f3.5 EX.... I bought for my D3, no problems and it also worked well on the D7100... Wind on a few years and now I have D500 and D810.... lens refused to work on both bodies on Saturday (first time attached) but after a while the lens started to work on D500, and subsequently worked like a dream... attach to D810 and nothing, no life. no AF switch on the lens BTW.

what am I missing? I spend spounds on the guide and they tell me nothing....
When was the last time you used it when it was working? First thing I’d try would be to clean the contacts.

Probably 2016, it works ok on the D500, just attached an AF-S 300f4 D to the D810. I cannot see anything in the settings that would prevent AF. The manual focussing ring turns as it should..:confused:

Probably 2016, it works ok on the D500, just attached an AF-S 300f4 D to the D810. I cannot see anything in the settings that would prevent AF. The manual focussing ring turns as it should..:confused:
So before when you said there’s no life with the D810 is it just AF, or does the lens not register on the camera and you can’t change aperture etc?

lens does register, aperture apparently changes when turning one of the wheels on the body....hmmmm. A sign of a great camera is being able to pick it up without referring to the manual but I think I am have to do the unthinkable......thanks Toby

What firmware do you have on the D810 a lot of Sigma's wont AF if its the new V1.13 firmware, I had this problem with my Sigma 150-500

lens does register, aperture apparently changes when turning one of the wheels on the body....hmmmm. A sign of a great camera is being able to pick it up without referring to the manual but I think I am have to do the unthinkable......thanks Toby
As mentioned, sounds like a possible firmware issue. I’ve only heard of older Sigmas not having AF in live view though but worth looking in to.

What firmware do you have on the D810 a lot of Sigma's wont AF if its the new V1.13 firmware, I had this problem with my Sigma 150-500

I have recently updated the firmware on both cameras. Sigma (rather excellently I think) have already come back to me and indicated that it is most probably firmware. Odd that it only affects on camera, and the older model too....

Thanks guys

Last edited:
If you need to roll back to V1.12 let me know and I will send the firmware via email as its too large as a file here

I go to RAF Mildenhall tomorrow, for a week so hopefully shoud be sticking some images here soon

Had a go at shooting in the "flat " setting then editing, supposed to have good tonal range

KMmj4wv.jpg

Have to say not that far off from what the eye sees, will have to try other scenes

Last edited:
Back