D810 verses D5 for bird photography

Although the crop factor in the D810 in FX mode is outstanding would not the faster AF and shutter FPS in the D5 be more beneficial in balance ?

I think it depends on what you do with your shutter finger!
IMO there are few situations where you need to gun the camera and far more whether a selective 2 or 3 shots will get you everything you need ... sure 15-20 shots in sequence may give you the option of a sight difference between shot 11 and 12 but 'spray and pray' just doesn't make sense to me in 99% of cases.

I think it depends on what you do with your shutter finger!
IMO there are few situations where you need to gun the camera and far more whether a selective 2 or 3 shots will get you everything you need ... sure 15-20 shots in sequence may give you the option of a sight difference between shot 11 and 12 but 'spray and pray' just doesn't make sense to me in 99% of cases.

Granted was thinking the fast FPS could be useful for diving kingfishers, birds of pray etc. . That's one aspect but what of the new AF system, combined with cleaner ISO that's the most interesting feature of this new camera.

Granted was thinking the fast FPS could be useful for diving kingfishers, birds of pray etc. . That's one aspect but what of the new AF system, combined with cleaner ISO that's the most interesting feature of this new camera.

The AF system will be interesting, I await real life experiences of whether it really is able to accomplish what it appears to be promising.
ISO will be better but at a considerable price difference ... there hasn't been a case for me where my D810 needed the low-light ability of the D4/D4S.

In the real world, if anyone has tried both, are they really that different?

I have both, the quality of the D800 is impressive, but it is not the quickest to focus, however the D810 quality is even better, and it's focus speed is as good as my D4, if not better as it has the group AF function.

i nearly bought a D810 for the extra 1 fps & the better AF....not now..
The D500 looks to become the WF/ Sports body that in truth the D800e never was..(or was made out to be)

Last edited:
Isn't the focus on the D5 considerably better than the D810, from what I have read around in the previews

You would hope so but it's all speculation at the moment :)

Isn't the focus on the D5 considerably better than the D810, from what I have read around in the previews

The D810 is pretty good, hardly misses anything. The D5 is reportedly even faster but other than Nikon ambassadors nobody's done any independent field tests or reports. We should find out middle to end of next month.

I have the money available to get a D810 or a D750.

Typically though, nowhere local to me has a D810 in stock.

I wanted to try one out and compare it to the D750 (which I've never tried either).

Both would be an upgrade to my D600. Even looked at the D7200 but I'm so used to being able to get decent pictures in low-light with high iso on the D600, that I imagine I'd probably be disappointed.

Almost 100% of what I shoot is Birds, Wildlife or Sports. The odd family pics too.

What are your thoughts on D750 compared to D810 for my needs? I really like the sound of the Group AF function on the D810 but is it an improvement over the focus modes the D750 has, and worth the extra cost?

The built-in Wi-Fi on the D750 doesn't hold any interest for me.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wez

Almost 100% of what I shoot is Birds, Wildlife or Sports. The odd family pics too.

I my book, the D810!

Because you may shoot at different file size but mainly
because at full file size you may crop out a lot to frame
a too far away subject… as you know, it happens often!

36 MP+ have a price… but they offer more as well!

All very good info, thank you all very much.

Last couple of days I've really set my sights on a D800/D810 and then towards the end of the year, maybe a 400mm F4 or 500mm F4 lens.

On paper, the D810 looks miles different to the D800.

In the real world, if anyone has tried both, are they really that different?

Just so you know there's no 400 f4, it's f2.8 and a very heavy beast.

I wanted to try one out and compare it to the D750 (which I've never tried either).

Both would be an upgrade to my D600. Even looked at the D7200 but I'm so used to being able to get decent pictures in low-light with high iso on the D600, that I imagine I'd probably be disappointed.

What are your thoughts on D750 compared to D810 for my needs? I really like the sound of the Group AF function on the D810 but is it an improvement over the focus modes the D750 has, and worth the extra cost?

Thanks,

Wez

Wez - just on the size/weight point - the D750 is smaller and lighter the D810 - if you have had a D700 and compared that with say a D7000 - the comparison is like that

I have a D750 which I love - I have a D7200 which is good and sometimes compatible, but maybe not ....... and I have just ordered a new D810 as they are being offered at good discounts - (I would have gone grey - but Nikon Dealers have reduced the price considerably)

Your computer - 36MP's - you may need an upgrade

both a amongst the "best" DSLR IMHO

focus points - for birds 85% I am on single cell focus

I plan to use the D810 on a tripod and the D750 hand held with the 300mm PF + x 1,4TC

Last edited:
Thanks for replies.

It's a tricky one as, like I say, I can't compare the two physically.

I think I may have to get to a shop that has both in stock and have a play around with them.

My computer is more than powerful enough to handle the 36mp files, I'm always upgrading parts! :)

Thanks,

Wez

I use the D810 & D7200 and most of the time it's the D7200 that is most used for my wildlife shots as it gives extra reach, it's an excellent camera and I find any noise that does creep in at higher ISO is easily dealt with in processing ... I've quite a few bird shots at ISO 6400.
The D810 gives more options for cropping and high resolution with its 36mp and handles low light slightly better than the D7200 ... I love the Group Area-AF, makes for much better fixing on target.
I've never found the D810 files to be a problem on my laptop.

I sent my D750 off for part-exchange against a D810 yesterday. With the current price drop it was a offer I couldn't refuse.

I wanted a D810 when I came back to Nikon from Fuji, so it's more of a GAS thing for me. The D750 is a fantastic camera but a few little niggles for me and probably the biggest for wildlife, the shutter sound, to me it's too loud. I often take one shot and off they fly for my garden bird photography. I always crop photos for wildlife, so the extra cropping availability of the D810 should come in useful.

@wezza13 as you're off to Tenerife next week, I would imagine there will be opportunities to try the different cameras out in the shops out there. There is some very nice shops in Costa Adeje and a good mall and electrical shops are in abundance in PDA due to no duty on goods, I wouldn't buy from there though.

I sent my D750 off for part-exchange against a D810 yesterday. With the current price drop it was a offer I couldn't refuse.

I wanted a D810 when I came back to Nikon from Fuji, so it's more of a GAS thing for me. The D750 is a fantastic camera but a few little niggles for me and probably the biggest for wildlife, the shutter sound, to me it's too loud. I often take one shot and off they fly for my garden bird photography. I always crop photos for wildlife, so the extra cropping availability of the D810 should come in useful.

@wezza13 as you're off to Tenerife next week, I would imagine there will be opportunities to try the different cameras out in the shops out there. There is some very nice shops in Costa Adeje and a good mall and electrical shops are in abundance in PDA due to no duty on goods, I wouldn't buy from there though.

Thank you for the advice Simon. I'll definitely take a look whilst I'm there.

I saw the recent price drop too and that's why I'm going to get one (I think!).

I'll trade in my D600 for one. I just hope that this price-drop lasts until I'm back from holiday.

I'll have a good go on one whilst out there.

But something tells me I should just go and look at one (okay, it's an hours drive away) tomorrow morning and you never know, well, it'd be nice to take on holiday lol :)

Thanks for the tips (y)

Well I ended up getting a D5 last week and planning to go out and shoot with it today.............I will post some feedback in the birds section later today, hopefully with some bird shots as well :)

Back