D90 Owners Thread - Anything D90 related

hi all. I have a D90 that i am struggling to autofocus in fairly dim but not especially dark late. Any ideas why this may be?? I can't see the AF illuminator working, although it is set to auto in the settings. I wonder if I have a problem with it? I am using this with a sigma 70mm - 200mm 2.8m lens.

I am also using a Nikon SB40 flash unit which I thought was supposed to also help the autofocus in dim light through use of the infra-red but not sure if this is working either???

Have you checked your focus mode? The AF assist light only comes on in certain modes - page 174 of the manual.

It will also not work with certain lenses - page 231. This only lists Nikon lenses, but they are mostly of the longer focal lengths, including a 70-200mm.

I am also using a Nikon SB40 flash unit which I thought was supposed to also help the autofocus in dim light through use of the infra-red but not sure if this is working either???

Do you mean SB400? This doesn't have the AF assist illuminator.

Last edited:
yes, the lens works and is sharp but I was just surprised that I am missing a lot of shots becuase it seems to take a while to autofocus. I'll read through the manual pages as suggested. Many thanks.

hi all. I have a D90 that i am struggling to autofocus in fairly dim but not especially dark late. Any ideas why this may be?? I can't see the AF illuminator working, although it is set to auto in the settings. I wonder if I have a problem with it? I am using this with a sigma 70mm - 200mm 2.8m lens.

I think that the AF assist light doesn't work with some lenses - but I could be hopelessly off course on that one. I do know that with my Nikon 70-200/f2.8 the light doesn't help much as the lens gets in the way and casts too much of a shadow on the taget. It's a bit better if I remove the lens hood but unless the target has good contrast it hunts around qhite a bit.

hope that helps :)

I think that the AF assist light doesn't work with some lenses

Correct... doesn't work with my 50mm, but the AF illuminator on my SB-600 flashgun works if I need it.

Having just gone through all the posts in this thread( 5 hours), there seems to be a lot of confusion about the various grips available for the D90. I bought the Meilke one from ebay a few months ago and it worked fine until I tried to use it with a tripod, It wobbled, badly. So I got the nikon one and it doesnt wobble, maybe this has something to do with the build?

Lizard said:
Having just gone through all the posts in this thread( 5 hours), there seems to be a lot of confusion about the various grips available for the D90. I bought the Meilke one from ebay a few months ago and it worked fine until I tried to use it with a tripod, It wobbled, badly. So I got the nikon one and it doesnt wobble, maybe this has something to do with the build?
Hmm, I had a generic/unbranded grip for a while and had no tripod issues... got gifted the Nikon grip and although it feels better built, the shutter button is more mushy than my old grip... maybe the gain from the Nikon jobby is more consistent quality?

I was set on getting a Meike as I can't justify ( afford? ) the Nikon version, but now I'm not sure. What tripod are you using, perhaps that might be the problem? Although if you say the Nikon is firm probably not. has anyone else had a problem with the Meike on a D90?

I was set on getting a Meike as I can't justify ( afford? ) the Nikon version, but now I'm not sure. What tripod are you using, perhaps that might be the problem? Although if you say the Nikon is firm probably not. has anyone else had a problem with the Meike on a D90?

Have a redsnapper and a hama tripod and haven't had any issues.

I got a Nikon grip (very good value from MPB by the way) and it works fine with my Manfrotto tripod, haven't tried a Meike

This is a strange request I know...

But my friend was working with me one night in cyprus, and tried to break up a fight, resulting in a smashed camera..
stupid thing to do when holding a camera I know.. :bonk:

but anyway.. He can't get a receipt because Dixons will not send via e-mail, he has to go into the shop.. which is quite hard since we are in cyprus.

without the receipt he can't claim it on insurance.

HELP

he needs a scan of a proof of purchase receipt for a Nikon d90 standard kit

if anyone has one, please e-mail it to him : duncan@this-is.eu

someone out there must have one!!

thanks in advance for any help!

But my friend was working with me one night in cyprus, and tried to break up a fight, resulting in a smashed camera..

but anyway.. He can't get a receipt because Dixons will not send via e-mail, he has to go into the shop.. which is quite hard since we are in cyprus.

HELP

Hmm, let me see. Why won't Dixons email him a receipt? Well, there's no guarantee that your friend is who he says he is or even owns a D90, plus he really should have the original receipt he got when he bought the camera.

So, why doesn't your friend have the original receipt?

I'm not a lawyer but what you are asking for sounds decidedly dodgy ... maybe even fraudulent?

HELP

mmmmm strange request, especially for a first post

I wonder why Dixons wont send the receipt ?

Surely if it is legit you could get a friend or relative to pop into Dixons for said receipt and post it to you ?

Last edited:
mmmmm strange request, especially for a first post

I wonder why Dixons wont send the receipt ?

Surely if it is legit you could get a friend or relative to pop into Dixons for said receipt and post it to you ?

I understand that it looks dodgy.. but it's a genuine ask for help.

I haven't been on this forum before, I'm a canon man myself, so I use POTN which is a canon based forum. my request is for a nikon camera, so it's not much use posting there (i still made a post just incase) hence why it was my first post.

I don't know the full story of why they won't send a receipt etc, I do know that it was an ex girlfriend who paid for the camera at the time, and she doesn't have the receipt any more, she gave him all the card details and address etc but dixons said he would have to go into the store. which he can't do because he is in cyprus.

as I say, I'm not sure of the details behind why he can't get a re-print of the receipt, it was easy for me to do with jessops for a set of studio lights, I guess dixons have a different policy..

Again, if anybody can help it would be hugely appreciated, as he is currently using my spare camera and I'd like him to get his insurance sorted asap so he can get his own one back..

:help:

Just found this D90 thread and thought that as i have recently acquired one myself would get in on the action....

The D90 is now my primary body having demoted the D80 to the back up (D80 has served well since i first picked it up in 2007). Im thinking that i would like to add a TC to provide a little more reach to my 300mm f4D AF-S and wondered if anyone has the D90 + 300mm f4 set up and a TC that could offer any advice on the subject?

Sorry if this has been covered before but there are so many posts to scroll through i thought it easier to ask.

Steve

Been lurking around on the site for a while, but finally bought the camera I wanted for ages...the D90.
Plan to spend the weekend taking as many photos before the missus or the kids get fed up with me :).
I am a complete noob with a slr so want to take a course next year to get it out of 'auto' and hopefully have some pics worthy of posting.

Hi just joined the D90 club today.

Chuffed now need to get stuck in.

Only the kit 18-105vr lens and some older AF-D lens.

Might look to get a 50mm 1.8 next year but need to keep the wife happy after 'allowing' me to buy it, even at the reduced price.

:)

I have a 70_200 f2.8 and a 2 x tc from jessops.
To be honest I find the auto focus un usable even in good light. It OK if you focus manually and you'll have to use a tripod.

I even tried the tc on my 35mm f1.8 and it was still rubbish.

Can't comment on the Jessops tc but with my Kenko 1.7x tc the 70-200 focus is almost as quick as without the tc fitted. Of course, it's only 1 stop whereas your 2x will be 2 stops slower.

IQ with the Kenko fitted is pretty good, but you can pick out the shots taken with it when side-by-side with the ones taken without.

Hi just joined the D90 club today.

Chuffed now need to get stuck in.

Only the kit 18-105vr lens and some older AF-D lens.

Might look to get a 50mm 1.8 next year but need to keep the wife happy after 'allowing' me to buy it, even at the reduced price.

:)

Welcome to the club ... you'll not be disappointed.

Although the D90 is now my second body it still gets plenty of use :)

Bristolian said:
Welcome to the club ... you'll not be disappointed.

Although the D90 is now my second body it still gets plenty of use :)

I had picked the D90 since it came out and whilst a D7000 was a dream I knew a D90 is a very capable camera and would be a great starting point for me. Hadn't bargined on buying it so soon but.the price was too good to turn down.

Can anyone recommend books for the D90. Lots available but do any actually offer useful information beyond the dull but packed user manual.

Thank You

Hi Richard,
I'm sure you will get plenty of advise on here re. the various guides available, in fact I had so much I got confused and just went for the first one I saw for sale on here which is " The Dummies Guide to the D90" and have been well pleased with it.

Sorry eveyone but I guess I was so excited at getting the D90 that I made a posting in the wrong place regarding the D90, I have posted under my original post of "camera swop" in equipement.

Can anyone recommend books for the D90. Lots available but do any actually offer useful information beyond the dull but packed user manual.

Thank You

I found two excellent references for the D90 are:

Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D90 (ebook)
Darrell Young's Mastering the Nikon D90

Hope that helps :)

As can be seen, new to the D90 and the D90 forum.

I have been reading the entries on the forum and keep seeing references to a "prime" lens.
What is this, what is it to be used for and why should I get one ?.

As can be seen, new to the D90 and the D90 forum.

I have been reading the entries on the forum and keep seeing references to a "prime" lens.
What is this, what is it to be used for and why should I get one ?.

A prime lens is a lens at one fixed focal length, e.g. 50mm, 35mm, etc.
More often that not they will give better results that zoom lens.

A prime lens is a lens at one fixed focal length, e.g. 50mm, 35mm, etc.
More often that not they will give better results that zoom lens.

Thanks.

As can be seen from my stats. I have been a member of this forum since 3/2009 but have done little in the way of Photography since then.

Now bought the D90 so am full of enthusiasm again, so not quite up to date with all the sayings.

Been out over xmas with the D90, must say I am very impressed with the handling. Photos taken are nothing to shout about, but I will get better and will then post some. LOL

Just been reading the article by the guy who does the strret photoghraphy. I must say I am impressed with his pictures.
I don't know about trying that sort of thing around Nottingham though, I would think you would be more inclined to go home with a black eye.

Last edited:
I was looking at a youtube clip, not a D90 but another Nikon
the light illuminator to help focus in the dark would come on this one without the flash, can it be done for the D90, as mine doesn't seem to work without the flash popping up?

Just been reading the article by the guy who does the strret photoghraphy. I must say I am impressed with his pictures.
I don't know about trying that sort of thing around Nottingham though, I would think you would be more inclined to go home with a black eye.

theres a guy who I have as a Flickr contact, he does a lot of street photography around nottingham and uses a D90 for some of his stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52126320@N00/

I was looking at a youtube clip, not a D90 but another Nikon
the light illuminator to help focus in the dark would come on this one without the flash, can it be done for the D90, as mine doesn't seem to work without the flash popping up?

Mine comes on when using centre spot metering.

Back