D90 Owners Thread - Anything D90 related

@intel68: Thanks for your response. I have no experience of using any of these lenses including Nikon 50 mm F/1.8, but what people around me who have, mentioned that 50 mm is bit softer down at F/1.8. If that’s the case, should I still consider it when focal length of 50 mm is already covered by my Tamron?

It's still sharp enough at f/1.8. It comes into its own when you want to shoot in low light, but don't want to use flash.
This is the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D, the G should be slightly better still.

Sebastian by jomike, on Flickr

Hi, which lens should I get for my d90. It's for general photos like buildings, people etc. nothing specific. I've been thinking of maybe the 18-55 vr kit lens or maybe a 35 or 50 prime. Opinions appreciated.

Cheers Gerard.

anyone have a cheap MB-d80?

I too have just taken delivery of a Meike, it works fine and feels solid. I had mine from Cam2uk, took less than a week to arive as they are UK based, at least thats where the grips are sent from. I paid £36 but that included two EN-ELe batteries.

(y)(y)Glad I saw this thread about the grip - was thinking of getting the official one!

Am torn at the mo as have saved a few pennies and it's time to get a new lens. Wish list is the 105 micro nikkor and either a 80-200 f2.8 or save longer and get the vr1 70-200 f2.8

Any words of wisdom. Anybody got any of these? Will be trying them out this week depending on availability!

Only enough pennies for one lens at the mo!

Thank you

Last edited:
Have the meike grip and have absolutely no complains about it.

I too have just taken delivery of a Meike, it works fine and feels solid. I had mine from Cam2uk, took less than a week to arive as they are UK based, at least thats where the grips are sent from. I paid £36 but that included two EN-ELe batteries.

Further to my previous post about the Meike grip, I charged the two batteries, took a few pics, but when I pressed the info button it only showed one battery had any charge left, so I assumed the other was duff and was about to replace it with the original Nikon battery when I checked the battery capacity in the menu and both were showing above 80% charge, so I don't know what is going on. Obviously I shan't risk going out without the original, but has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Great thread, something to keep me busy reading during my night shift.

In the meantime, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced remote shutter release. I'd prefer wireless over IR and cabled and have seen the Yongnuo RF-603. Are they any good?

Cheers

I got the Yongnuo WR-159 for my D90. It was sold as a Pro 100M Wireless Shutter Remote Control Release by an Amazon market place seller and it works just fine. The build quality is good and it only cost £11.99

Further to my previous post about the Meike grip, I charged the two batteries, took a few pics, but when I pressed the info button it only showed one battery had any charge left, so I assumed the other was duff and was about to replace it with the original Nikon battery when I checked the battery capacity in the menu and both were showing above 80% charge, so I don't know what is going on. Obviously I shan't risk going out without the original, but has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Yes, I've noticed that my Meike grip only works correctly with genuine Nikon batteries in it :thinking:. How oddly 'patriotic' for a third party grip :D.

If I put a third party one in there with a genuine one, it displays the battery empty symbol, but if I put the non-Nikon battery in the D90 itself, it works fine :shrug:. Still, with the money that I saved on buying the genuine Nikon grip, I was able to add a genuine Nikon battery to my new grip (and have another spare for the D700), so I'm not complaining :).

Hi All
(hope I am doing this in the right place?)
Got my D90 this morning, Mr DHL delivered it!!
When I got it all out and put together.........Frightening!!
Just to get me going, I need a good SD/HC card, recommendations for a lens filter (its only for general use, not professional or anything). Also a good book on the D90, something like a 'Dummies' book. Is there anyone who gives lessons on photography / D90 that live in North London???
Just one more thing......do you guys and girls mind answering alot of stupid questions from a complete pr*t every now and then???
Appreciate your help/advice
Terry

tcsnapper said:
Hi All
(hope I am doing this in the right place?)
Got my D90 this morning, Mr DHL delivered it!!
When I got it all out and put together.........Frightening!!
Just to get me going, I need a good SD/HC card, recommendations for a lens filter (its only for general use, not professional or anything). Also a good book on the D90, something like a 'Dummies' book. Is there anyone who gives lessons on photography / D90 that live in North London???
Just one more thing......do you guys and girls mind answering alot of stupid questions from a complete pr*t every now and then???
Appreciate your help/advice
Terry

I'd start with the manual and learn the controls. There are some half hidden features that make life easier (e.g. Easy iso) but all in due course.

Filters for lens (by which I think you mean a UV one) are a hottly debated topic.

I've only had mine for a few weeks but I am use to the Nikon menu system already.

DrRusty
Bought it s/hand, no manual, unfortunately, opened an account at Nikon but because it was already registered, i cant get a copy!!

tcsnapper said:
DrRusty
Bought it s/hand, no manual, unfortunately, opened an account at Nikon but because it was already registered, i cant get a copy!!

I've had this problem before with Nikon with second hand D70. I think they let you download a read only version? (one sold last week on ebay with two batteries and charger for £22) might be worth a look for others. I haven't got specific book for the D90 I might get the dummies book though if I see it cheap.

Just had a email from Nikon (I was enquiring about a hard copy manual for my D90) they came back within minutes saying they could change the database over so that the registration would be in my name!! Thats pretty good service!!
TC

Help! do you actually need the software that comes with the camera?? The guy I bought the camera off, sent the camera, which is really really nice, clean etc, with all the connection wires, he has had a look and cant seem to find it!!
tel

tcsnapper said:
Help! do you actually need the software that comes with the camera?? The guy I bought the camera off, sent the camera, which is really really nice, clean etc, with all the connection wires, he has had a look and cant seem to find it!!
tel

Nikon transfer and view are useful but you should be able to down load them when the camera is registered to you.

tel

No you don't. In fact I've never even opened the disks that came with any of my cameras. If you shoot JPEG you've got no problems whatsoever. If you shoot RAW then reasonably up to date versions of PS, PSE, LR, iPhoto, Aperture will have no trouble with the RAW files.

thanks for the link to the sdhc card. seems to be a good time to buy at the moment.
gather these arent made in thailand.

Bought a 2nd hand Nikon Refurbished D90 with a 50mm 1.8d lens today for £549 which includes a 1 year warranty, that good?

Having tried several different cameras including Canon, the best results have come from the D90!

Last edited:
D90cam said:
Bought a 2nd hand Nikon Refurbished D90 with a 50mm 1.8d lens today for £549 which includes a 1 year warranty, that good?

Having tried several different cameras including Canon, the best results have come from the D90!

It's a great camera have fun and I look forward to seeing some pictures.

Thanks. Was wondering if the price i paid was too much. But it is a refurb from Nikon bought from a good camera shop with 12 months warranty

Now you have bought it, just enjoy it. They are superb cameras and if it was a Nikon refurb has most likely a better chance than one bought from auction etc.

Picked up my D90 today and what a massive improvement!! Had a 40D before this and boy was i surprised by the raw image quality. Straight out of the camera everything looks mint!!

I've just moved from a Sony A550 to Nikon D90 and couldn't be happier. The handling and ergonomics are head and shoulders above my old Sony and the viewfinder is a breath of fresh air.

Any recommendations for a battery grip or should I just buy the Nikon one?

mancubus said:
I've just moved from a Sony A550 to Nikon D90 and couldn't be happier. The handling and ergonomics are head and shoulders above my old Sony and the viewfinder is a breath of fresh air.

Any recommendations for a battery grip or should I just buy the Nikon one?
I've owned the official one and a copy, and have to say the copy actually had a nicer shutter button, the official one is a bit mushy... However the official one seems more secure when mounted, more solidly built (esp the aa battery carrier), and less fussy about certain aftermarket batts. Is it worth 2-3 times the price? Doubtful, but if you miss a shot because the cheaper one decides to come loose/throw a wobbler about batteries at an inappropriate time, then maybe!

Copping out now, but your mileage may vary ;)

I recently purchased a Meike with two batteries from cam2uk for £36.00 and am very satisfied with it. I tried a Nikon one on my D90 before I bought it and to be honest couldn't tell the difference, although I am sure there must be one, but being only a light use amateur I'm sure it will be fine for me. I suppose if I were a pro I would need to pay the £150 plus the genuine one would cost me.
( my only problem now is my small walkabout bag isn't big enough since fitting the grip, but that would have been the case whichever one I bought, and I'm still trying to find one)

Last edited:
Hi all.....still happy with my D90...still learning how to use it properly though :LOL:

Has anyone had problems with noisey images....even at ISO 200 in decent light I seem to be getting loads....problem with the sensor ?
Did an indoors shot using hotshoe flash & diffuser , ISO320 f14 1/30 & the noise was dreadfull....didn't realise just how bad till I ran it through neatimage:crying:

any advice more than welcome , cheers,Lynne

Hi Lynne,

Have you got the Active D-Lighting turned up to full as that could possibly add noise.?

Oh and thanks for advice regarding grips guys, I'll have a look at the Mieke grip.

Last edited:
Back