D90 Owners Thread - Anything D90 related

Been trying the D90 on 'M' and very good indeed! Man ISO too. One thing i remember is to always set the shutter speed to equal, or little more than the focal length being used. That is right?

Been trying the D90 on 'M' and very good indeed! Man ISO too. One thing i remember is to always set the shutter speed to equal, or little more than the focal length being used. That is right?

With the D90 I'd always go for (1.5-2/focal length) as my minimum shutter speed.

It does depend what your technique is like tho. And it also depends what you are shooting, moving stuff needs a faster shutter speed irrespective of VR.

Only got a 50mm 1.8 at the moment

I have the 50 1.4 and I always tended to aim for 1/100 sec with my D90. Remember that it's a technique thing tho and you need to account for any 3rd party movement.

For a static scene with v. good technique you can probably shoot 1/50 or slower with a D90.

Thanks. Been trying 1/60, static objects and daughter reading and great!

Evening all.

I'm on the hunt for a D90, and noticed that Pixmania are selling the 18-105 kit for £605 inc delivery. It seems a good price, and is a good £40 cheaper than others, but not having used Pixmania before, I was wondering if anyone on the forum has had any experience of them.

Cheers, Dean.

redddraggon said:
Pixmania as far as I know are grey

My memory may suck, but I seem to recall many moons ago they were a conventional online UK dealer, but agree that they now sell grey import mainly...

Many thanks for the quick replies, and the heads-up on the grey import issue.

Looks like I'm back at Jessops/Amazon and a few others who are pricing around the £650 mark - unless anyone knows of any good deals on new kit?

Thanks again.

Handy said:
Many thanks for the quick replies, and the heads-up on the grey import issue.

Looks like I'm back at Jessops/Amazon and a few others who are pricing around the £650 mark - unless anyone knows of any good deals on new kit?

Thanks again.
It's always worth a look on camerapricebuster if you haven't already, Amazon tend to be cheapest or close to it. Calumet can be competitive on prices too, but not always. I think D90 prices have been relatively stable for a while now, which is nice because it hopefully means mine is holding its value ;)

Enjoy, wherever you buy from, its a great piece of kit :)

Thanks Ron.

The camera has a few outings planned already - I've my Daughters prom coming up next week, and 8 of her friends and family are gathering at our place before being limo'd off to the Prom. The olympic torch will be passing through the town next Friday, and a holiday planned for shortly after.

Might as well show a face in here
Just got myself a nice deal on a d90 today, then sold the d3100 to my mate
Its very similar, but very different to 3100, so expect more daft questions when I should be reading the manual soon :D
Lets hope I'm impressed by the new toy, out to play with it tomorrow weather permitting

It is a steep learning curve when you get a new toy. So many menus and buttons!! lol

Mine should be waiting for me when I get home this evening. I'm hoping the weather us half decent tomorrow so I can put it through its paces. Next purchase - a flash for it!

On the subject of flash...
Using Flashgun off camera TTL with CLS.

Any idea how the flash metering is calculated?
Can the area be changed or value compensated?

Can someone recommend a nice flash for the D90? Not too expensive i guess but a good one?

So far so good
Managed to suss out most of the buttons and been through the settings, so just need to get some practice shooting in manual
One thing I cant find is how to change display
Just now, I press the info button (bottom right) and I get display on lcd showing settings.
Its kinda linear and I prefer the graphic to show apperture etc more clearly (got used to it on d3100)
Display used to show auotomatically after half pressing shutter, but now i need to press info or just use the top screen, but its awful small
Been searching since around 9am, and just cant find anything on this... Help anyone?
Cheers

I am in the process of buying bits and bobs for my newly aquired 2nd hand D90!!

Only got a 50mm at the mo and that will do for awhile even though i am on the look out for a Nikon 18-70MM DX lens!

Guys, do you recommend putting a GGS Screen protector on the LCD of the D90 or use the standard one that came with it? The reason i ask is that the one that came with it (2nd hand D90) is quite scratched so needs replacing.

Thanks

One more thought you may be able to help with
After the 3100, the d90 does feel a bit heavier, so thinking of getting a grip to help
Anyone got one of these? they seem a bit cheap but get good feedback
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

Or any other suggestions appreciated

Hi Bruce,
I bought a Meike grip for my D90 and although it was perfectly ok I found it made the whole outfit a bit too heavy so I took it off after only taking a few shots, ( but then again I am 70 years old, 5ft 7" and 10 stone wringing wet) so you might be fine with one. I can certainly recommend the Meike.

By the way, don't forget to factor in the cost of another battery, a used Nikon one will probably cost you another £25.00

One more thought you may be able to help with
After the 3100, the d90 does feel a bit heavier, so thinking of getting a grip to help
Anyone got one of these? they seem a bit cheap but get good feedback
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

Or any other suggestions appreciated

Hi Bruce I have the grip your talking about had it for a few years now with no probs but I bought the 2 extra batteries with it at £42 it is a good buy.

Dont know if i should put the GGS on the LCD or not now! Anyone ever tried to get one off after it had been on for some time?

Dont know if i should put the GGS on the LCD or not now! Anyone ever tried to get one off after it had been on for some time?

I have the Gen III GGS, it's not stick on glass, but clips on like the Nikon one but looks much better with the black surround.

EDIT: or did you mean the top LCD?

Last edited:
Hi Bruce,
I bought a Meike grip for my D90 and although it was perfectly ok I found it made the whole outfit a bit too heavy so I took it off after only taking a few shots, ( but then again I am 70 years old, 5ft 7" and 10 stone wringing wet) so you might be fine with one. I can certainly recommend the Meike.

Thanks ken
Not sure if this will help with grip and balance, or just make it even heavier and less enjoyable, guess I'll just have to buy and try
Cheers for reply

Hi Bruce I have the grip your talking about had it for a few years now with no probs but I bought the 2 extra batteries with it at £42 it is a good buy.

Nice one
I got an extra two Nikon batteries with the camera, which is why I thought it might be a good idea, just need to grin and bear the extra weight of the d90, the grip, 3 batteries and a 17-55 or 70-200,
big jump from the d3100 and kit lens :puke:

I have the MB-D80 Nikon grip, it does make the camera a bit bigger, but it does help balance the camera better :)

Thanks rob, or emily :cautious:
Ive seen a few comments like this around the web, so think I'll get one and see how it goes (y)

One of these days, I'm going to figure out that multi quote thingmy :shrug:
But not today :LOL:

Nice one
I got an extra two Nikon batteries with the camera, which is why I thought it might be a good idea, just need to grin and bear the extra weight of the d90, the grip, 3 batteries and a 17-55 or 70-200,
big jump from the d3100 and kit lens :puke:

Hello again Bruce,
I forgot to say, the biggest problem I had was when I just took the 70-300 as I knew I was bound to see a Heron where I was going. It really made the whole thing heavy, to be honest it wasn't so much of a problem when I used the 18-135. So you will probably be ok with the 17-55, but the 70-200 is a bit of a beast isn't it? Of course you may well be young and strong so neither will be a problem. I have noticed there is a genuine Nikon grip on the classifieds, for £50 I think it is, so as you don't have to worry about an extra battery it may well be the answer. I paid £36.00 for my grip and although it came with two batteries I think I might have been tempted to go for a Nikon if I hadn't of had to buy another battery.
Cheers,
Ken

Hello again Bruce,
I forgot to say, the biggest problem I had was when I just took the 70-300 as I knew I was bound to see a Heron where I was going. It really made the whole thing heavy, to be honest it wasn't so much of a problem when I used the 18-135. So you will probably be ok with the 17-55, but the 70-200 is a bit of a beast isn't it? Of course you may well be young and strong so neither will be a problem. I have noticed there is a genuine Nikon grip on the classifieds, for £50 I think it is, so as you don't have to worry about an extra battery it may well be the answer. I paid £36.00 for my grip and although it came with two batteries I think I might have been tempted to go for a Nikon if I hadn't of had to buy another battery.
Cheers,
Ken

Thanks again Ken, might have a wee look at that if its still there
Compared to the kit lens, the 17-55 is a bit of a monster, but worth it.
But the sun's actually out, so I'm off to Tesco for breakfast, then out to play with the Nikon family (y)

terryt said:
I have the Gen III GGS, it's not stick on glass, but clips on like the Nikon one but looks much better with the black surround.

EDIT: or did you mean the top LCD?
I had no idea this existed, didn't want to faff with a stickon one, so have just ordered one of these. If its good I'll grab one for my other camera... Ta for the headsup (y)

Well, i put the GGS 'sticky' ones on and they were easy to install and can hardly notice them!

What put me off the original Nikon plastic one is reports that dirt can get behind them which can scratch the LCD!

Last edited:
Back