D90 Owners Thread - Anything D90 related

Thanks for the ideas, I got another bargain though, a nikon 18-55mm vr kit lens for £60 over on AVF forums, probably going to buy the Tamron 70-300mm that's £90 from jessops, I know people bash it but for the price....and also the fact I'm no pro! Will probably also buy a prime after xmas.

It arrived Wednesday, perfect condition with no signs of use, only problem is they forgot to put the battery in, emailed them and got a reply Thursday asking if I would like to keep the camera and them send the battery, replied with yes but was still not here this morning, fired off two more emails and no reply so finally gave in and went to jessops and bought a Hahnel battery for an eye watering £45! will be phoning their customer services Monday to give them a right earful, now waiting for the battery to charge.

Is there anyway i could use high speed synch for a sb 700 flashgun,looked aroud the net but not getting very far,any help would be great

Thanks, Ian

Can I connect my d90 to my laptop so I can view the photo after it was taken ?

Thanks,Ian

Can I connect my d90 to my laptop so I can view the photo after it was taken ?

Thanks,Ian

Go to Nikon and down load viewnnx2 then use a mini USB to link camera to computer.

There might bee a setting so it works as a USB drive and you will see the camera in file explorer as a drive.

Last edited:
Thanks all will have a look

Ian

Hi guys

Odd one this i have a battery pack on my D90 it's the MB D80 When i put fully charged batterys in it it never shows them as fully charged it's aout 95% most of the time

When i put the craddle that holds the aa batterys in it shows as flat even if i have put new batterys in is this a well know problem or have i got a broken pack ?

Thanks for any help,Ian

Have you set the appropriate AA battery type in the menus?

Custom setting - d12

LR6 -alkaline
HR6 - NiMH
FR6 - lithium
ZR6 - NiMn

(p184 in the manual)

Last edited:
Have you set the appropriate AA battery type in the menus?

Custom setting - d12

LR6 -alkaline
HR6 - NiMH
FR6 - lithium
ZR6 - NiMn

(p184 in the manual)

Done that still no joy :shake:

Ian

Hmmm, I've never used the AA tray, so I'm afraid I can't suggest anything else :shrug:

OK thanks anyway,any one else got any ideas ?

Ian

Hi guys

Odd one this i have a battery pack on my D90 it's the MB D80 When i put fully charged batterys in it it never shows them as fully charged it's aout 95% most of the time

When i put the craddle that holds the aa batterys in it shows as flat even if i have put new batterys in is this a well know problem or have i got a broken pack ?

Thanks for any help,Ian

Checked mine finally, it just shows a full battery sign.

All I can think are that either the contacts are dirty on the Barry cradle, a battery is inserted the won't way round or (but seems even more unlikely) you have not installed six AA battery cells (four on one side and two on the other side if the adapter).

Question for anyone here, do you use the active d-lighting setting. I turned it on when I first got the camera not thinking much of it because I read in a book it helps in tricky light. Then listening to a podcast - tips from the top floor, it was talked about and recommended to turn it off. I have only had a quick few shots and I do think it is having an impact. Anyone for or against. Need to do some proper testing to see for myself but interested to know what others think...

Question for anyone here, do you use the active d-lighting setting. I turned it on when I first got the camera not thinking much of it because I read in a book it helps in tricky light. Then listening to a podcast - tips from the top floor, it was talked about and recommended to turn it off. I have only had a quick few shots and I do think it is having an impact. Anyone for or against. Need to do some proper testing to see for myself but interested to know what others think...

I leave it off as I feel shooting raw means it isn't necessary.

Auto-ISO (in aperture priority) question.....

Does anyone understand how this works??
Yesterday I was out for a friends birthday and decided to take out the camera because one of the party was trying to photograph us all on an iPad......

I had the 50mm f/1.8, which was fine until I needed a group shot, with f/11 (to get everyone in focus) I found I needed flash, so pulled out the YN-467II.
BUT I forgot to lower the ISO down from 1600 and ended up with grainy images!

This is a mistake I make FAR too often (especially when im in a rush), it's really annoying that the camera has a min shutter speed for flash, but no setting for flash ISO. Would Auto-ISO solve this or am I completely misunderstanding what it does? (page 166 in the user manual).

Last edited:
Auto ISO with flash will keep the ISO at its lowest unless it needs to up it. If at f/11 the flash is powerful enough to give what the camera deems an appropriate exposure iso will remain at 200, if not it will start bumping it until the exposure is right.

Auto ISO with flash will keep the ISO at its lowest unless it needs to up it. If at f/11 the flash is powerful enough to give what the camera deems an appropriate exposure iso will remain at 200, if not it will start bumping it until the exposure is right.

That's if i've previously manually set it for 200?

The thing with Auto-ISO, is I think it'll screw up my more creative shots where I want long exposures at low ISO.
I might try using Auto-ISO in P mode and then just use that more often for general stuff. Typically I wander about set for Aperture priority....

It'd just be nice if the D90 thought "oh hey, there's a flash connected lets drop the ISO right down!!!", instead of "screw the flash im staying at 3200!!!"

The thing with Auto-ISO, is I think it'll screw up my more creative shots where I want long exposures at low ISO.

Why would it do that? When you don't want Auto-ISO you switch it off.

It'd just be nice if the D90 thought "oh hey, there's a flash connected lets drop the ISO right down!!!", instead of "screw the flash im staying at 3200!!!"

That's what it does do. Make sure you set the minimum ISO to 200.

Nikon's Auto-ISO is nearly foolproof. I think it's a case of you need to learn when and how to use, because Auto-ISO really does know what it's doing.

Nikon's Auto-ISO is nearly foolproof. I think it's a case of you need to learn when and how to use, because Auto-ISO really does know what it's doing.

I think your right, I really need to do some testing and see what's what. To be honest I was reluctant to mess with it simply because it's off by default.

A bit of a long shot, but has anyone converted a D90 for IR photography? Any hints or tips?? I'm currently using a Hoya R72 and long exposures, but an imminent upgrade (D7100 probably) will allow me to convert the D90. Not quite sure what to expect!

I know there is occasionally a white balance issue, but I'm shooting in RAW anyway so it shouldn't be a killer! I suspect I'm suffering from that problem now, as, whilst I can seem to successfully set a white balance from grass (It says "Good"), it doesn't seem to affect the white balance of the IR pictures, as they all still come out red....

Ive got the Camera on Aperture priority & Auto ISO. I have set the minimum shutter speed to 1/30 and max iso to 3200( i am shooting with a 35mm prime). Why does the camera still shoot slower than that ??? I have a few blurry photos now!!

a

Ive got the Camera on Aperture priority & Auto ISO. I have set the minimum shutter speed to 1/30 and max iso to 3200( i am shooting with a 35mm prime). Why does the camera still shoot slower than that ??? I have a few blurry photos now!!

a

1/30 is still a slow shutter speed. Unless you are very good at holding the camera steady, you're going to get some blurry photos.

Any of you D90 owners reccommend a good walkabout lens for the D90?
Vince

Precisely the question I was asking on this forum about 18 months ago. Most of the time I use the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, which I think is a great lens for the price. Apart from that I sometimes use the 35mm f/1.8. The advantages with this are it's razor sharp, very light and relatively cheap. However, when traveling I do find the fixed focal length a bit limiting.

Of course, if your budget can stretch a bit there is a rather good 24-70mm f/2.8...

a

Although the rule of thumb is a minimum speed of 1/focal length this firstly applies to 35mm film/full frame cameras. Therefore, the effective focal length should be considered as the minimum of approximately 1/50th of a second.

In reality most humans will not be able to keep steady enough hands for less than 1/60th of a second and possible more like 1/125.

Obviously, this is why anti vibration lens help in allowing the photographer to use a slower shutter speed than traditional would have been possible.

Back