D90 Owners Thread - Anything D90 related

I have a generic battery grip which has all the functionality of the Nikon it only cost me £40 incl delivery all my batteries are orginal though.

I purchased the grip from www.linkdelight.com

Rule of thumb is always good to format after you have transfered all your pics I find I get this when I insert the card into my card reader via my laptop so every chance I get I format no harm done.

here to join the club officially

just picked it up after the battery charged for a quick play through the menu and not had a chance to go through the manual.

two quick questions:
1. on the lcd display does the number of photos available to take stay on all the time?
2. when viewing pictures can it bring up details on screen such as speed and aperature setting (as this used to be displayed on my old sony system)

just picked it up after the battery charged for a quick play through the menu and not had a chance to go through the manual.

two quick questions:
1. on the lcd display does the number of photos available to take stay on all the time?
2. when viewing pictures can it bring up details on screen such as speed and aperature setting (as this used to be displayed on my old sony system)

1, yes all the time
2, when viewing a pic press the down button on the navigation arrows (or whatever they are called). up button will give you a histogram split in 4.

I have the Nikon D90 for dummies book and havent looked at the manual at all. dont know if that a bad thing or not.

enjoy the camera, i think its a great tool (far greater than my capabilities) and i learn new little tricks and features every time i use it . enjoy!

Hi p1tse

Welcome to TP and the D90 club (y)

Yes, the number stays on when the camera is turned off. I queried this when I got mine and its fine, can't remember the reason for it though.

When viewing pictures, press the round selector button down and it scrolls through different views of the image. one of them overlays the EXIF data.

Good luck (y)

thanks

while doing that it also works if using the front scroll wheel

i'm really impressed with the d90 and kit lens from some playing tonight

two quick questions:

Well done Patch :clap: Did you manage to sell your Sony kit ?

thanks. sony kit went into trade. got an ok price for it. just need to sell my other lenses ;-)

LOL

so what lenses have you got for the d90 again?

LOL

so what lenses have you got for the d90 again?

Nikon 18-105, Nikon 50mm f1.8, Tamron 55-200 and Sigma 70-300 APO

Thats typical, my signature showed up this time, thought it was only once per thread, must be once per page per thread.:thinking:

Last edited:
Hi all. New on here and fairly new to DSLR although I still have a load of old Canon 35 mm stuff (F1, AE1, lenses etc) gathering dust. I bought a D90 about six months ago and have now run out of options with the built in flash. Whilst I am unfortunately not in the 'money no problem' category, I can afford the SB 900, but don't want to spend more than I need to. I take photographs for fun not gain, so the simple question is, do I buy the SB900 or go for the SB600 and spend the £90 difference on Cider?

buy two sb600 and i'll swap you one of them for cider/booze worth alot more as i work for a booze company LOL

just read a few pages, very good so far. i like the custom menu setting bit where you can turn the lcd light on and back screen on too from flicking the on switch.

Yeap... newbie D90 user here and spent a while figuring out the menu settings. Although now I don't tend to mess about much with them. Got them right how I want it. :cool:

another cool thing if you haven't noticed.... the brightness of the read-outs in the viewfinder adjust according to the amount of light

so you don't resest like Ken LOL

I've not even had a chance to look at the manual or camera much, so not ventured into custom settings.

the only one i have changed is the one Ken pointed out where you can have the rear lcd to come on when you turn the top lcd light on

@Sigmamark

I have the D90 and SB600, the only thing that the SB900 does that I would like is the ability to direct over my right shoulder. Range of movement for the 600 is CW 12 o'clock - 3 o'clock and anti CW 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock. So you have blank spot between 3 and 6 o'clock.

Hello all I have just upgraded from the D40 (which I loved) to the D90 got another new learning curve to go through lol

Me too! Early impressions are v good. Only bought body as had got Nikor 18-200 VR, Nikor 50 f/1,8, and Sigma 10-20 f/4 for my D40. Thinking about a Macro lens. Any recommendation appreciated.

@Sigmamark

I have the D90 and SB600, the only thing that the SB900 does that I would like is the ability to direct over my right shoulder. Range of movement for the 600 is CW 12 o'clock - 3 o'clock and anti CW 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock. So you have blank spot between 3 and 6 o'clock.

AlexW

Many thanks(y)

Mark

Just sold my D60 today and bought a D90 :) All i can say is im well impressed with the camera so far. Battery only charged 1 hour ago so still messing around with the menus.

The only problem is sold my kit lens with it and the 16-85mm vr lens ive bought hasnt turned up yet :( had to play with my telephoto lens in a small flat so far, so not ideal.

Last edited:
I know it does... but it took me a good few hours trying because I was scared of breaking the damn thing!

Just get it at the angle stated in the mb-d80 35 degrees and pull it, i thought it would break lol but it was fine

how are others finding the kit lens 18-105vr?

are others still using this as the main lens?

how does this compare to the 18-200vr?
would like the 18-200vr if IQ, speed, auto focus is just as good as the 18-105vr.
Anyone know the weight difference though?

how are others finding the kit lens 18-105vr?

are others still using this as the main lens?

how does this compare to the 18-200vr?
would like the 18-200vr if IQ, speed, auto focus is just as good as the 18-105vr.
Anyone know the weight difference though?

Whilst the 18-200mm is a fair lens, the better IQ will come from a combo such as the 18-70mm & 55-200mm VR (or even better the 70-300mm VR).

just reading the link above and with limited use of the d90 so far, but i read this:

"For some strange reason, the D90 cannot be setup as a USB mass-storage device and won't appear a USB drive on your computer, unlike the other Nikon Digital SLR cameras. Mark Bessey says:

As it turns out, the D90 does not show up as a USB mass-storage device, so you won't see it as a drive that you can copy files directly to/from. It does show up as a PTP (picture transfer protocol) device
"

this might explain why i struggled to burn a disc with pics.

i basically opened up the pics from d90 with jpeg pics as a browser and then copied all thumbnails to desktop.

copying a mixture of pics i had before and with d90 I did the following
1. my cd burning seemed to fail
2. tried to copy pics to d90 as a mass usb storage (but the above explains the issues)
3. managed to copy thumbnails/files to a SD card via a compact camera i have

but i've just put the SD card on a work laptop and tried to open a d90 pic and work computer opens "microsoft photo editor", but it returns an error " the image is too large".

does this mean i can't copy pics the way i did and the mixture of pics i've put to print on a tesco photo machine (24hrs) won't come out?

well iv just joined the bandwagon of owning the d90, i upgraded from the d40 and from 1st impressions im really impressed,

got the standard kit lens and a tamron 55-200, im looking for a nifty 50 but unsure which one to go for any recomendations? pics of examples would be good too.

Thanks

i'm looking to get a 50mm f1.8

they are £100 in the link above
or others say it is similar price with quidco from jessops

Can anyone recommend some wireless triggers for my D90 and SB600? A friend has recommended some PT04's, while cheap I read they have trouble over 10m.

Then I found PocketWizards and RadioPoppers - certainly 3 steps up financially, not sure how much strobist work I'll be doing other than photographing the odd car and indoor portrait work.

Can anyone comment on these from experience? I'm looking for the usual strobist gear to go with these, some flash stands + swivel bracket mounts and a composite umbrella (this can double up as a softbox right?).

well iv just joined the bandwagon of owning the d90, i upgraded from the d40 and from 1st impressions im really impressed,

got the standard kit lens and a tamron 55-200, im looking for a nifty 50 but unsure which one to go for any recomendations? pics of examples would be good too.

Thanks

May I ask why you want a 50mm lens? If you want a normal focal length, get the 35mm f/1.8 AF-S or 35mm f/2 AF-D. If you want low light, ditto.

Only if you want a short tele, get the 50mm f/1.8. On a crop sensor this is equivalent to 75mm. Not bad (if a little short) for portraits and street work, but a bit long for indoors or general purpose. The 50mm will also suffer from more camera shake than the 35mm in low light.

I use my 35mm far more than my 50mm. Remember 35mm is normal on a crop sensor.

I second what martsharm said, when I got my 50mm I was frustrated with how 'tight' it was on my D90.

i'm a little confused.

with the 50mm f1.8 be the same as looking through the lens kit at 75mm?

May I ask why you want a 50mm lens? If you want a normal focal length, get the 35mm f/1.8 AF-S or 35mm f/2 AF-D. If you want low light, ditto.

Only if you want a short tele, get the 50mm f/1.8. On a crop sensor this is equivalent to 75mm. Not bad (if a little short) for portraits and street work, but a bit long for indoors or general purpose. The 50mm will also suffer from more camera shake than the 35mm in low light.

I use my 35mm far more than my 50mm. Remember 35mm is normal on a crop sensor.

I bought the 35mm f1.8 for my D90, and its a great low light lens, wouldn't have been without it for my trip to Vietnam 2 weeks ago, that and the kit lens were pretty much all I needed.

I actually found the 35mm fairly restrictive for indoors shots, such as when we went for meals or drinks, so I am glad I paid the extra over the 50mm f1.8 (I did some tests with the kit lens before to see what would be a better lens) as it just wouldn't have been usable for those shots. It was a nice walk about lens as well when I didnt want to lug the weight of the 18-105mm with me. You can definitely see the difference between the 2 lenses as well.

i'm a little confused.

with the 50mm f1.8 be the same as looking through the lens kit at 75mm?
50mm is 50mm on all lenses. If you set the kit lens (18-105) to 50mm this gives exactly the same field of view as a 50mm f1.8

I've had a weird one happen with my D90. Maybe someone else has as well.

It's only happened a couple of times, in 6 months that isn't bad.

It's basically when I try to hold down the top buttons and rotate the rear wheel, nothing happens. I switch the camera off and on again and they start to work.

Anyone else?? :)

Back