D90 Owners Thread - Anything D90 related

Ive never had the 35mm F1.8 but do have the 50mm 1.8 & have never really been that wow'd by it.

My new lens is a Sigma 18-50 F2.8 which is fantastic. Just need to save for a 70-300 VR then i'll be happy (not worried about the gap from 50-70mm)

Interesting :thinking:! I've found that none of my FX lenses seem to work as well on my D90 as the dedicated DX lenses do (here's a thread I started on the topic ...Link ...). The 50mm and 70-300mm lenses that you mention are both FX lenses - maybe that's why you've "never been wowed" by the 50mm :shrug:!?

I have a pair of Tamrons (17-50mm DX and 28-75mm FX), which both produce similar looking images when used with their respective sesnor types, but the 28-75mm (FX) lens comes up nowhere near as sharp on my D90 (as it does when used on the D700). This is partly why I've decided to buy all DX lenses for my D90 now ;).

Thanks for the info. It does seem like a really fun lens to me. I've found it's ok at f/1.8 (very sharp!) and haven't noticed any issues other than the odd missed focus on moving subjects. That's worse on the 50mm - I mostly kept it at 2.8 and below unless I knew I wasn't going to move by even a few mm - very easy to get something slightly blurry, and half the time it looked fine on the LCD.

I suppose I'm quite impressed with my primes because, other than the Tokina (kind of), I don't have any other fast glass.

The 35mm has better bokeh than the 50 too, which I'm starting to try and exploit :love:

Yo! Exploit that crazy bokeh, man :D!

I've got supersonic hearing mate! :D

It only lasts like a second or two......i think now it most probably is the auto sensor cleaning on power on/off.....i want to check now, but cant til i get home! :(

Just tested and confired, the setting in the menu was on "clean on startup/shutdown". This is where the squeaking came from! :D
Tried switching it off and the noise was not there anymore (y)

Hopefully this will come in useful for someone else in the future! :clap::wave:

Just tested and confired, the setting in the menu was on "clean on startup/shutdown". This is where the squeaking came from! :D
Tried switching it off and the noise was not there anymore (y)

Hopefully this will come in useful for someone else in the future! :clap::wave:

Now go & relax & take some pictures !!

So i just got my used new to me D90 this week with a 28mm 2.8 50mm 1.8 and 18-55 kit lens and am loving this camera to bits specially with the little 28mm which i got for a steal at £149.

The thing is i am off to nepal in october on a twenty day trek to base camp everest is there any other lenses that i should consider taking i have been eyeing up a 70-300 zoom from various makers but am unsure what one would be best so any help would be gratefull.

Also was thinking of getting the little 24mm or 30mm nikon prime as well
any thoughts on my kit are welcome.

So i just got my used new to me D90 this week with a 28mm 2.8 50mm 1.8 and 18-55 kit lens and am loving this camera to bits specially with the little 28mm which i got for a steal at £149.

The thing is i am off to nepal in october on a twenty day trek to base camp everest is there any other lenses that i should consider taking i have been eyeing up a 70-300 zoom from various makers but am unsure what one would be best so any help would be gratefull.

Given that you have a 28mm prime already I wouldn't be in a hurry to get a 24mm or 30mm. Personally, if I were going somewhere as amazing as that, I'd be looking to get a UWA and some filters to get some beautiful landscapes :)

This post is aimed at all of the born tinkerers out there (like me) who just can't leave anything alone for 5 mins, without taking the back off it, poking around with it and generally wondering how it could be improved :thinking:.

I've had my D90 for a few months now and, partly through boredom but mostly through necessity, it has wound up with a few add-ons and mods. So, (as it's Friday night and I don't have date :crying:), I thought that I would take some piccies and share with you a few ideas about how you could add some functionality/protection to the wonderful invention that is ... the Nikon D90 :love:. Besides, with Christmas fast approaching, what better time to start thinking about those little stocking-fillers :naughty:!?

As you can see, the D90 simply breathes out sex fumes, straight from the box ...

D90_01_1000.jpg

But, looks don't last forever (without a little help) and even great looks can have functionality added with a few well chosen accessories (think, Pamela Anderson/silicon breast implants :naughty:). With that in mind, I have 5 Top Tips for you on how to improve your D90/kill the resale value deader than a mafia-crossing dodo with AIDS.

1.) GGS glass LCD screen protector:

I fit these to every DLSR that I buy (actually, that's only three so far). You can get them on eBay for a little over a tenner and they are totally scratch/scuff resistant and clean up much more easily than the regular plastic screen (even if you insist on using your shirt sleeve to wipe it with - you filthy peasant :nono:!). You can even break them off (messy job, so I've heard) and clean off the glue from the screen to reveal a pristine plastic LCD screen (great if you want to pass the camera off as "one careful owner" when you sell it).

2.) Nikon DK21M magnifying eyepiece.

Why do I want one of these? Am I partially sighted? No! Am I hoping to improve the accuracy of my manual focusing technique? No! Is it because my nose is so big that it rubs all over the back of the LCD screen, getting red and sore in the process and I need a rubber eyepiece cup which sticks out further from the camera body so as to give my nose less chance of ending up looking like Henry Cooper's (famous English boxer, for the benefit of either young, or foreign readers :D)? Erm .... well ... it might be.

Sussed! Yes, I have a long nose and when I wedge the D90's eyepiece under my brow, I find that I'm pushing my nose hard into the back of the screen in order to seal the light out. This replacement eyepiece has a rubber shroud which is almost twice the thickness of the standard D90 one and sticks off the back of the camera another valuable 1/4" or so. The net effect is that, with the DK21M fitted, I not only see a slightly bigger image in the viewfinder, but also my nose rests gently against the back of the GGS screen protector (gratuitous plug) in the process. It was either this or plastic surgery. This was cheaper - the plastic surgery would have been a better option though!

3. Black insulation tape over the memory card slot:

Costs virtually nothing, but will add years to my life expectancy, as it saves me from cursing and swearing every time I pull the D90 out of its bag with my right hand, only to have the memory card slot flick open and consider spitting the card out just because my palm slipped backwards across the plastic, spring-out cover. Sorry, but Nikon really dropped the ball on this one aspect of the D90's design. Most D90 users won't need a quick-release memory card hatch - Nikon simply skipped on a more secure design to save money (I reckon).

Anyway, I put black tape over mine and it never springs open uninvited. Once or twice a year, when I actually need to take out the card and put in a new one, I have to tear off another 2" of insulation tape and replace the old one. Whoopy-do! Big deal. I also throw a bit of tape over the hinge for this cover, as it is begging to have rainwater and sweat from my palm creep in through the purpose-built trough, which is evident in its design.

Here's a snap of the back of my D90, showing all three of the (above) mentioned 'upgrades' ...

D90_02_1000.jpg

Next 'upgrade' is not for everyone, all of the time, but it's a bloody good option to have, IMHO (y).

4.) Non-Nikon battery grip:

Yep, you heard me right! I said non-Nikon battery grip. Why? Well, although this doesn't apply to all Nikon grips, the D90's grip appears to come from a factory where they brand some of the grips as "Nikon" (and then Nikon sell them for a hefty fee) and some of the other grips roll off the production line and have other brand name's stickers attached to them before flooding onto eBay at much less than half the price of the real thing! To be accurate, I'm not stating this as a fact (how could I possibly know?), but I've handled the original Nikon grip and I can't see or feel a single difference between that and the "Meike" brand one, which I bought on eBay (for about 40-50 quid, IIRC).

Incidentally, please don't confuse this my assertions about the battery grip with the batteries themselves - those all look the same, but are all too often 'chalk and cheese'. I only buy Nikon brand batteries myself now.

The obvious advantages of having a grip on your camera are; you can have twice the battery power available, your camera will spit out more frames per second, the shutter can be released from the extra release button in the grip when shooting in portrait mode and ... (arguably) the whole camera just feels a lot more secure to hold.

If you think that all of those advantages are not worth the added expense and weight, then you can forget this option and move along to the next part of the thread. The real beauty of these grips though, is that you don't have to use them all of the time! If I want to travel light - I leave the grip at home. If I'm not sure whether or not I need it, I stick it in the bag and carry it along (with a spare battery in it) just in case I do. People who own D2's, D3's etc. don't have this luxury - they bought a breezeblock; they have to carry a breezeblock with them everywhere. Simples (y)!

Anyway, here's my grip. Other brand names appear on this same grip, BTW ...

D90_grip_01_1000.jpg

D90_grip_02_1000.jpg

5.) Leather hand strap.

OK, I admit it -this is really one for either Gary Glitter fans, or people who tend to drink too much beer at gigs and festivals and then let go of their camera during a momentary lapse in concentration :bonk:.

Also ... I hate camera straps! I'm not Japanese and neither is my wife (sorry, Monty Python moment there). Whether shooting in a crowd with a short prime, or trundling through the woods with a long tele on, looking for Big Foot, I like the discreet look that a hand strap affords. You can 'carry' the camera with one fingertip and then, when you need to take a shot, you can just swing it nonchalantly towards your eye and 'snap one off' - genius!

It does take a bit of getting used to though. The first day that I took my D90 out with the hand strap attached (to a local music festival), I had a lot of trouble with rummaging in my pocket for the change to pay for the beer, then troubles with drinking the beer with my left hand and as for the troubles that I had when trying to release said beer back into the wild, using only my left hand (as the camera was still strapped to the right), well, that just doesn't bear repetition here :whistle:.

Anyway, they're only a tenner. Why not give one a try...

D90_with_grip_01_1000.jpg

And ... that's it really! Just a light-hearted, but well-intentioned post to spread a few ideas around and add some pictures to this most un-bodaciously text-heavy thread.

In fact, it took me nearly a whole bottle of wine to photograph, compose and type this post (and several beers to help me through the spell chjeking), so please go easy on me with your responses :D.

Peace!

Andy

Good post Andy thanks. I've not had trouble with the mem card door, but I do have the glass screen on all three of my bodies. I am about to order the hand strap for my D60, and will get one for the D90 if I get on with it.

The grip? mmm not sure I have one on my S5 pro, and need to use it more to get used to it. The S5 is heavy on batteries so having 2 available is useful, the D90 I found is not at all heavy on batteries.

One thing I dont like is having to snap the battery door on and off, I do think it is pretty flimsy and the little pins may break off. I am proposing to take a fine file or knife, and just round off the corner of the slot into which the pins go. This will mean the door will just slip in and out with no risk of damage to the pins, the downside is that the door could drop out when you are changing the battery, not an issue IMHO.

The 70-300 VR is a killer, but as you have the D90, you'd still do well with the 70-300 ED one. (I would've gone for that, btu having D5k it wouldn't have AF...plus I wanted to havd another AF-S to compliment y 18-70. ;)

Good post Andy thanks. I've not had trouble with the mem card door, but I do have the glass screen on all three of my bodies. I am about to order the hand strap for my D60, and will get one for the D90 if I get on with it.

The grip? mmm not sure I have one on my S5 pro, and need to use it more to get used to it. The S5 is heavy on batteries so having 2 available is useful, the D90 I found is not at all heavy on batteries.

One thing I dont like is having to snap the battery door on and off, I do think it is pretty flimsy and the little pins may break off. I am proposing to take a fine file or knife, and just round off the corner of the slot into which the pins go. This will mean the door will just slip in and out with no risk of damage to the pins, the downside is that the door could drop out when you are changing the battery, not an issue IMHO.

Thanks Dave :)!

Regarding the grip, I've found that the hand strap doesn't work at all well on the D90 unless it has the grip fitted. Without it, your hand kind of gets pulled underneath the camera :( - with it, your hand is clamped against the side of the body. I'm sure that you'll see what I mean when you try it, especially if you try it on the gripped S5 and the 'naked' D60 ;).

As for the battery door, yes, I find that really fiddly too and am always afraid of breaking something when I take it off :shake:. After the memory card door, that must be the D90's worst design feature, I reckon.

Still, I came to this thread to praise the D90, not slander its good name, so I'll stop there :D.

Still, I came to this thread to praise the D90

To be honest the D90 wows me every time I use it. whether its indoor show jumping, low light, bright sunshine, action, landscape the sheer competence of the D90 shines through every time, it's truly is a fantastic camera that challenges the photographer to match its capabilities..............................

Just ordered a Linkdelight grip:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Power-Pack-Ba...rElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item56340e0c3c

And took the battery door off. Got a very small fine file and just filed down the edge of the square bit that holds the door in place. It now comes out nice and easy so I am sure it wont break. Once its in place it cant move of course so its fine.

Have also ordered the hand grip strap......will see how I get on with it, was only a fiver so no big deal If I dont like it......

Just ordered a Linkdelight grip:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Power-Pack-Ba...rElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item56340e0c3c

And took the battery door off. Got a very small fine file and just filed down the edge of the square bit that holds the door in place. It now comes out nice and easy so I am sure it wont break. Once its in place it cant move of course so its fine.

Have also ordered the hand grip strap......will see how I get on with it, was only a fiver so no big deal If I dont like it......

(y) Cool! That grip looks identical to mine (and Nikon's own :naughty:) - should fit a treat!

Hopefully, you'll find the hand strap and grip combo to be very comfortable - I know that I do ;)!

Hi Guys - Do you mind if I ask a question please ? - have any of you d90 owners moved over from canon ( say 450d or 40d or what ever ) and if so what differences have you noticed?

Hi Guys - Do you mind if I ask a question please ? - have any of you d90 owners moved over from canon ( say 450d or 40d or what ever ) and if so what differences have you noticed?

No i've been a Nikon user since my first SLR :D

I'm not exactly as well versed in DSLRs as a lot of the people on here. I've just moved to a D90 from a 400d and after about an hour of playing around I can tell you that I haven't yet taken to it as quickly as I did with the Canon.

With the Canon I managed to pick everything up really easily. As I'd transferred to that from film photography, Canon's interfaces seemed to be designed accommodate film photographers. Perhaps I'm too used to the Canon but I'm finding it hard to take to the d90. But I'm sure it's just me and it will come in time.

This brings me to a question for more experienced D90 users.

I've had the camera on and messing around and snapping for about an hour, turned it off and the number 529 is still displayed in the bottom right corner of the display on the top of it. What is this, and should it still be there when the camera is turned off? If not, how do I get rid of it?

Ah, that makes sense. Especially after it drastically reduced when I changed image format to RAW + JPEG. Thanks.

Just got a D90 a few days ago, had a d40 before (in the sale section)

Only really had a play with it so far, seems good. Functions I want are more
at my fingertips than before.

Has anyone tried the remote flash function? I've got it to work with my sb-600. Using the on board as the trigger. But when I watched a youtube video, he set the built in to just be a trigger but not fire. It won't work on mine.

He had a d300 & sb900, if that is the reason.

I got a cheapo plastic screen protector off ebay, which seems to have got mark already. Once that's wrecked I'll invest in a better quality one. Thought Nikon would do a genuine protector for it?

Jon

Mine came with a genuine protector too, but its served its purpose of getting all scratched up! will get a new genuine one soon....i think they're fairly cheap <£10.

Mine wasn't new, but had the peel off protector on it.

Just deciding on lenses, currently using my 18-55 kit lens off my d40. But motor has broken so only m/f.

Looking at a few Sigma 24-70 2.8 on ebay, also need a zoom 70-300 sigma/nikon at some point.

spookily enough, I had a Canon 450D for 10 mths and moved to Nikon D90 6 weeks ago after considering the Canon 550D. Basically I couldnt be happier and I'm sooooooo pleased I didnt get the 550D. The D90 challenges me and it can do so much more than the canon 550D plus the button layout is logical and sensible as opposed to 450D/500D/550D.

I'm just about to get the newish 35mm f1.8DX for it as I heard its very sharp on the D90

Well as some of you may know on another thread i created, i was torn between 4/3rds for a while, thinking about getting the EPL1 or the GF1, it took me ages online and speaking to a few people just to decide which one to go for, which one would suit my needs, which one was better. In the end i gave up and thought that i may aswell just buy a high end point and shoot and have done with it, get out and start taking some snaps.... this was the worst thing to do as i started to question myself about the functions and quality of the images, also the diversity of the camera itself, would i regret it....

So after having owned an DSLR in the past i thought that i just could not downgrade to something that was less capable.

Now i am the proud owner of a D90, charging the battery at the moment, but popped the memory card in it and took a few quick snaps while i could and i am impressed so far.

I used to own Canon and after playing with few Nikons from friends and family i had made my mind up that Nikon image quality is far better, even the low end 6-8mp ones have great image quality compared to a 10mp Canon.

So once battery is charged i will be out and about taking some shots of the world and the things in it.

I lent my D90 to a friend of mine who has a d70. Received an email about 1 in the morning saying he was going to be up all night as the D90 was at least 10 times as good as his D70. It really is a crackin camera just get one and enjoy....

Will be going to bed with the instruction manual tonight, having a Canon really puts things into perspective, menus are all different and loads more buttons, lol...

I was so used to my old canon i could change everything with my eyes shut, now i have to start again. lol... Just ordered some filters and cant wait to do some HDR's.

Had a D90 up until a couple of months ago and I sold it - regret that so much now. I'm just back from Florida and really missed having a proper camera. On the look out for another one now. Looking forward to joining the D90 club again.
Cheers
D

im going to be a proud owner of a brand spanking new d90 tomorrow... so i shall be frequenting this thread on hints, tips and advice..... im gonna be like a kid in a sweet shop with it... :):):)

Just got a D90 a few days ago, had a d40 before (in the sale section)

Only really had a play with it so far, seems good. Functions I want are more
at my fingertips than before.

Has anyone tried the remote flash function? I've got it to work with my sb-600. Using the on board as the trigger. But when I watched a youtube video, he set the built in to just be a trigger but not fire. It won't work on mine.

He had a d300 & sb900, if that is the reason.

I got a cheapo plastic screen protector off ebay, which seems to have got mark already. Once that's wrecked I'll invest in a better quality one. Thought Nikon would do a genuine protector for it?

Jon

Hi Jon,

I've tested this, and I'm not sure how it works but it does. You have to use the onboard flash in manual mode and set its power to zero. It then flashes to communicate with the slave but somehow doesn't add any light to the subject. Very clever. You can test it by pointing your slave flash out of the way or covering it up and checking the effect of the on-board flash on the subject - it doesn't add any light at all.

Personally I like the on-board to be set for a little fill, 1/8 or 1/16 power, something like that.

Be aware that the on-board flash can make about 15 flashes in reasonably quick succession and then it takes quite a while to recharge. First time I used off-camera flash in anger (fashion shoot) I couldn't work out why the camera was refusing to shoot after a few bursts - it's because the on-board flash was exhausted. It's only really suitable for gentle use, otherwise you'll need an additional flash on the camera to act as a controller and take the strain off the camera's on board battery.

Hope this helps.

took delivery of it a few hours ago and am completely blown away with it... what a fantastic camera... :)

Possibly looking at a used D90 body this time (bought new the last time). Is 20,000 clicks high for a year old body?
Cheers
D

Back