D90 Owners Thread - Anything D90 related

Hello,

I've just noticed over the weekend that my D90 seems to have developed some kind of fault!! Now I'm hoping this is an easy fix especially as the warranty ran out at the end of March!!

Basically the SD card access light constantly flases (when a card is inserted) when the camera is switched off! This then kills the battery over time. I've tried 2 different cards on the camera and get the same problem.

After looking round on here I havent found anything reported about this but I may have missed it!

Has anyone come across this problem before?

Thanks

Simon

Assuming you've already done a 2 button reset, which I don't think would have any affect with this particular problem anyway, then remove the battery and leave the camera overnight. I won't guarantee this will solve the problem, but I've had a couple of instances where my D90 has thrown a wobbler and removing the battery for a period of time has calmed it down.

Have you tried another SD card as I think this sounds like the issue I had with mine. Funny enough just after my warranty ran out

It's was my san disk card causing the issues. But seeing as you tried that
In the words of dragons den I'm out

Hello,

I've just noticed over the weekend that my D90 seems to have developed some kind of fault!! Now I'm hoping this is an easy fix especially as the warranty ran out at the end of March!!

Basically the SD card access light constantly flases (when a card is inserted) when the camera is switched off! This then kills the battery over time. I've tried 2 different cards on the camera and get the same problem.

After looking round on here I havent found anything reported about this but I may have missed it!

Has anyone come across this problem before?

Thanks

Simon

There's a thread relating to this problem on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikond90club/discuss/72157611261072391/

The prognosis doesn't sound good from most of the thread, but near the end there's another possible 'fix':

"-Hold the on/off switch to the extreme right position (the light bulb position) for 10 seconds.
-Turn off the camera
-Turn it back on
-Reset the camera by pressing +/- and AF button simultaneous
-Format SD card by pressing thrash can and AF mode buttons simultaneous

This got rid of massive battery drain and SD card flashing whist the camera is off."

Another suggestion in this thread:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikon_d90/discuss/72157625258869857/

is to clean the SD card contacts:

"remove battery,
wet the contacts of the SD card with rubbing alcohol (q-tip),
insert the card about 6 times into the slot,
repeat wetting the contacts, repeat the insertion....
allow the contacts to dry (it'll be quick)
dry off SD card, re-insert and cross your fingers"

Last edited:
Hi all just a quick one thinking about buying a battery pack for my D 90,anyone using one is it worth it or is it just a bit of a gear i dont need

Thanks,Ian

Ian White said:
Hi all just a quick one thinking about buying a battery pack for my D 90,anyone using one is it worth it or is it just a bit of a gear i dont need

Thanks,Ian

I brought one and it hasn't left the d90 since.

Hi Ian,

I work in slough and can bring mine in so you can see what its like during my lunch hour if you like before commiting to buying one!

Hi Simon thank you so much for your kind offer could i give you a yell in a couple of weeks so we can meet up ?

All the best,Ian

:thinking::thinking::thinking: Had an "Err" message come up today in top lcd and couldnt do anything so removed sd card and battery placed it back turned on and all was fine! Any ideas?

Purchased one from Cameraworld at the weekend for the fab price of £449 with a free Nikon SLR shoulder bag.

Bought the Nikkor 50mm F1.8 AF-D lens with it too, leaving me with ...

- nifty fifty
- 18-55mm
- 28-80mm
- 70-210
- 70-300

any general tips or information I should know about the D90? I can't wait to get started shooting when it arrives on Friday.

also, can anyone recommend a good interval timer remote so I can do timelapses ? :)

Last edited:
:thinking::thinking::thinking: Had an "Err" message come up today in top lcd and couldnt do anything so removed sd card and battery placed it back turned on and all was fine! Any ideas?
I got this once and panicked a bit... but it was simply that I hadn't been reformatting the SD cards. That was a year ago and not had it since.

I just had a look at the manual and couldn't find any mention of it.

Bottom of page 184 discussing the MB-D80 battery type

The MB-D80 takes one or two EN-EL3e rechargeable Li-ion battery or six AA alkaline, Ni-MH, lithium, or nickel manganese batteries (an EN-EL3e is supplied with the camera). Higher frame rates are available with AA batteries; note, however, that in the case of AA batteries the frame rate will decrease as battery level drops.

I suspect it's an error in the manual as there's no mention of it anywhere else.

Wow that is good but none close by ! would get in trouble with SHMBO !

Hi Richard,
For what it's worth, I have the Meike grip and apart from the fact that the batteries supplied with it were c--p, I have been very pleased with it. It cost me £36.00 ( Camuk on e-bay) and I had to buy another Nikon battery off here for £20 so £56.00 in total, but that Curry's genuine MB-D80 does look a good buy, although you would still have to buy another battery unless you were planning on using AA's.

Very tempting nearest one to Slough is Brentford but do i need 2 battery's or can i use it with one ?,thaink i'll have to go and have a look on Nikon's website.

All the best,Ian

Thats a very good price - I bought mine used from MPB for £70 which I was pleased with, but would rather have had a new one. Wonder why Currys have the cut the price so much, it is so low it could almost be a mistake - buy now before they realise!

Ian White said:
Very tempting nearest one to Slough is Brentford but do i need 2 battery's or can i use it with one ?,thaink i'll have to go and have a look on Nikon's website.

All the best,Ian

Ian

Yes you can use it with 1 battery

Simon

I think so. Its not doing it at the moment but i'm not totally convinced that it will stay away.
I used the 1st solution you gave about holding the on/off switch to the right! It worked after a couple of times trying!

Thanks

Simon

Can anyone recommend an interval timer remote for doing time lapses? Lots of reports of cheapo ones breaking the metal port in th GPS output.

Thats a very good price - I bought mine used from MPB for £70 which I was pleased with, but would rather have had a new one. Wonder why Currys have the cut the price so much, it is so low it could almost be a mistake - buy now before they realise!

Looks like they no longer stock the D90 so will probably find it difficult to sell associated accesories.

Roy

Roy S said:
Good one just reserved at my local so get it tomorrow:clap:

Roy

Walked in to the Cheltenham branch today - walked out with the last one in the display case :)

Just need to tell the wife :-$ !

williamj1 said:
Can anyone recommend an interval timer remote for doing time lapses? Lots of reports of cheapo ones breaking the metal port in th GPS output.

Have you seen the "Phototrigger" forum on here. It is made to do timelapse and so much more !

Picked up my Nikon grip today and also found that currys are doing calumet en-el3e batteries for £25,thats £10 pound cheaper than calumet themselves!

Roy

Back