Dambusters Anniversary Flight

Incidentally, I watched a BBC documentary on the development
of that very creative solution last week. Along with the radar… (y)

Anyone been to hearing his before? What was the traffic situation?

I'd imagine manic haha.

Oddly enough when I was younger I saw them doing a flypast but it was not documented anywhere.

Would have loved see it again but unfortunately working :(

Last edited:
What a great way to commemorate the bravery & effort of the crews.

A pity "VERA" could not come back for another visit to fly with "THUMPER" again.

Yep I'm planning on going as it's my day off, but I'm not sure what the traffic will be like. Does anyone know if they'll be flying over Howden and Derwent dams?

I was going to post this elsewhere but this thread seems as good as any, what is the fastest shutter speed that you can use but still see some propeller movement? I'm planning on using my 150-600mm at 500-600mm so can't use too slow a shutter speed.

Shutter Speed wise, to get a decent complete-ish ring of prop, 1/125th to 1/160th sec - you may struggle with the 150 - 600 unless you've a mono pod or similar
Thanks. I was planning on standing on Derwent edge to get above the planes but maybe I need to revise my thinking and get closer to use my 70-200mm :thinking:

Really thinking of making a day of this but not really sure of the area so maybe a very early set off and arrival might be the thing to do.

I too fancy heading higher (or level with the plane) and trying to get some background interest

Anyone any ideas as to a good location to head towards ?

Really thinking of making a day of this but not really sure of the area so maybe a very early set off and arrival might be the thing to do.

I too fancy heading higher (or level with the plane) and trying to get some background interest

Anyone any ideas as to a good location to head towards ?

Exactly my thoughts and my questions. Was hoping someone with local knowledge would give the benefit of their experience.

Also, I'm undecided on whether to bring the 400 f2.8 or the 600 f4. Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Yep I'm planning on going as it's my day off, but I'm not sure what the traffic will be like. Does anyone know if they'll be flying over Howden and Derwent dams?

I was going to post this elsewhere but this thread seems as good as any, what is the fastest shutter speed that you can use but still see some propeller movement? I'm planning on using my 150-600mm at 500-600mm so can't use too slow a shutter speed.
VR should allow a slower shutter speed.1/150s but I’d couple with a monopod.

VR should allow a slower shutter speed.1/150s but I’d couple with a monopod.
Depends on panning speed I guess. At Donington yesterday I couldn’t make up my mind whether VR helped or not (70-200), and struggled to get a good keeper rate. Dunno whether the D850 highlights motion more or whether I just wasn’t on my game yesterday. Even at 1/100 my keeper rate wasn’t spectacular, that’s usually my ‘banker’ shutter speed at that focal length.

Exactly my thoughts and my questions. Was hoping someone with local knowledge would give the benefit of their experience.

Also, I'm undecided on whether to bring the 400 f2.8 or the 600 f4. Any thoughts would be much appreciated
If you’re on the hillside you’re quite a way off the reservoir so I’d have thought 600mm (on FF) would be better, but don’t quote me on it as I’ve never taken such a shot from there before.

I’m hoping to nip up and recce the area this week for the best spot for me as I don’t want to be figuring it out on the day. Ideally I’d like to be on the west side but I don’t think there’s a clear view from that side.

Anyone know if they’re flying over both Howden and Derwent or just Derwent?

Any local guides want to volunteer lol

I have a 150-600 sigma too and was thinking that would be my lens of choice. Think I would rather chance a high iso and faster shutter speed with the Lancaster in focus than chance a prop blur and end up with a plane blur lol

Last edited:
Hurricane doing a flypast over North Nottinghamshire now.

Another site with info on the flypast

https://dambustersblog.com/category/bbmf/

Traffic and parking sounds like it might be horrific. If I manage to get the day off work at this short notice I think I'm going to get a train from Sheffield to Bamford instead of trying to drive to the area.
Tbh I’ve no idea what the traffic will be like, is it really going to be that popular?

Bamford Station’s a right trek, I’d be tempted to get a Taxi ;)

Tbh I’ve no idea what the traffic will be like, is it really going to be that popular?

Bamford Station’s a right trek, I’d be tempted to get a Taxi ;)

I've never been up that way so I don't know the lie of the land but I'm going mainly from this bit in the blog I linked to:

Traffic congestion is expected to be very high, and members of the public are urged to use public transport if possible as private car parking will be very restricted. Previous events at the dam have resulted in traffic jams lasting up to six hours. Note that the nearest rail station is at Bamford, 2 miles from the dam (wear walking boots).

I appreciate 2 miles is a long walk for some, especially if the terrain is hilly, but it's not a long walk for me and it appeals much more than being stuck in a traffic jam and struggling to find a place to park - and maybe still having to walk that far or even further!

I've never been up that way so I don't know the lie of the land but I'm going mainly from this bit in the blog I linked to:

I appreciate 2 miles is a long walk for some, especially if the terrain is hilly, but it's not a long walk for me and it appeals much more than being stuck in a traffic jam and struggling to find a place to park - and maybe still having to walk that far or even further!
6 hour traffic jam :eek::eek::eek:

I’d have thought the train station was further than 2 miles tbh, just shows you. I think I’m going to have to look for some alternative parking, I’m not prepared to sit in that kind of traffic.

6 hour traffic jam :eek::eek::eek:

I’d have thought the train station was further than 2 miles tbh, just shows you. I think I’m going to have to look for some alternative parking, I’m not prepared to sit in that kind of traffic.

Ok, so I’m not going mad after all. Google maps tells me it’s 5.9miles from Bamford Station to Derwent Dam so I’ve no idea what that guide is on about :confused: It’s a least 2 miles to the dam once you’ve turned off the main Manchester Road I’d have thought.

Last edited:
Ok, so I’m not going mad after all. Google maps tells me it’s 5.9miles from Bamford Station to Derwent Dam so I’ve no idea what that guide is on about :confused: It’s a least 2 miles to the dam once you’ve turned off the main Manchester Road I’d have thought.

Is it flying over both Derwent and Ladybower Dams? I've checked on google maps and it's exactly 2 miles from the station to Ladybower.
The Dambusters blog says it is flying over Laybower. Yes Derwent is a much further walk!

On the MoD website I linked in post #16 they say this

Subject to confirmation, it is proposed that the Lancaster will fly over RAF Scampton (original home of the Dambusters’ Squadron), the Derwent Valley, the Rolls-Royce Factory at Derby (the Lancaster is powered by 4 Rolls-Royce Merlin engines) and Eyebrook Reservoir.

No specific mention of which if any dams will be "flown over", based on the above is it possible to interpret if there are any dams that will flown over! But you would have thought as Dambusters they would name the planned one(s) now???

Last edited:
Is it flying over both Derwent and Ladybower Dams? I've checked on google maps and it's exactly 2 miles from the station to Ladybower.
The Dambusters blog says it is flying over Laybower. Yes Derwent is a much further walk!
Ahh right, I didn't realise they might be flying over Ladybower.

On the MoD website I linked in post #16 they say this

Subject to confirmation, it is proposed that the Lancaster will fly over RAF Scampton (original home of the Dambusters’ Squadron), the Derwent Valley, the Rolls-Royce Factory at Derby (the Lancaster is powered by 4 Rolls-Royce Merlin engines) and Eyebrook Reservoir.

No specific mention of which if any dams will be "flown over", based on the above is it possible to interpret if there are any dams that will flown over! But you would have thought as Dambusters they would name the planned one(s) now???

I don't know the flight path either, I've just been going by photos from last time. Just looked and there are a couple over Ladybower. Having just seen this it's made me realise how bonkers the traffic's going to be. I've never seen cars being allowed to park on the bridge before, and it looks as though cars are parking right down to the bottom of road that leads up to the dams :eek:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_davis_photos/8744938255/

To be fair, its not a nice walk from Bamford to The Dams.. Just walking up the side of the main road, honestly feels longer than 2 miles. I'm pretty sure you can leave the station, head down the road opposite and walk up the side of the river in a much nicer walk :)

To be fair, its not a nice walk from Bamford to The Dams.. Just walking up the side of the main road, honestly feels longer than 2 miles. I'm pretty sure you can leave the station, head down the road opposite and walk up the side of the river in a much nicer walk :)

Thanks for the tip. Planning on getting the 9.14 train out of Sheffield which gets into Bamford at 9.35, which should give me plenty of time to hike up there.

Just been told I can have the day off work. Just hope for good weather now.

Just joined up with a Lake District walking group who are who are doing a 10 mile trek including a high (ish) level lunch break watching the fly past.

Looking forward to it apart from carrying the Sigma :-(

Just joined up with a Lake District walking group who are who are doing a 10 mile trek including a high (ish) level lunch break watching the fly past.

Looking forward to it apart from carrying the Sigma :-(
Are they flying over the lakes too, or are you coming down to Derbyshire?

I'm heading up to Derwent Dam in the next few mins to recce the area for next week. Got a good idea where I want to stand but want to make sure it's not too far away. Still undecided what to do re parking. Don't know whether to get there early and just sit in the car, or park in Bamford and walk up, or take my bike park in Bamford and then lock my bike up at the main Fairholmes visitor centre. Decisions decisions ;)

Had a stroke of luck when I went to Recce the area for next week when this flew over :)

DSC_6846
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_6863
by TDG-77, on Flickr

I'm wondering if I need something wider than 150-600mm on FF, from the Hillside you can't get the whole of the Dam in at 150mm.

DSC_6885
by TDG-77, on Flickr

This is at 600mm on FF

DSC_6889
by TDG-77, on Flickr

I'm even contemplating my 70-200mm rather than 150-600mm, on the D850 it's still 20mp meaning my 70-200mm is effectively 70-300mm.

Last edited:
Anyone planning on going, keep an eye on BBMF's Twitter or Facebook feeds, as it's possible the Lancaster may be out of service. She had a(nother) landing on 3 engines after displaying at the weekend after number 4 showed high oil pressure. I saw a post earlier from Dunc Mason saying BBMF have the Dakota ready to step in and cover the Lanc's displays until the end of June if necessary.

Anyone planning on going, keep an eye on BBMF's Twitter or Facebook feeds, as it's possible the Lancaster may be out of service. She had a(nother) landing on 3 engines after displaying at the weekend after number 4 showed high oil pressure. I saw a post earlier from Dunc Mason saying BBMF have the Dakota ready to step in and cover the Lanc's displays until the end of June if necessary.
Thanks for the heads up.

Nice capture of the A400M Atlas.

GC

Ironically, 15 minutes after I posted this, the BBMF have just made a statement saying they think it's just a gauge issue and are working to verify. If it's humanly possible for them to get her there, no doubt they will - particularly in light of the occasion.

Just reading about it myself. Seen that they’re flying over Chatsworth too, Beeley Moor would be a good place to stand if you’re only interested in seeing the plane. I would guess that Curbar Edge would be good too. Of course this would depend on flight path to Chatsworth. Will be much less busy too.

Very tempted to go, but a bit of a trek from Berks. Is it possible to cross to Derwent Lane from the Fairholmes centre? I don't recall a crossing but from Google maps it looks like there there one.

Very tempted to go, but a bit of a trek from Berks. Is it possible to cross to Derwent Lane from the Fairholmes centre? I don't recall a crossing but from Google maps it looks like there there one.
Derwent lane? That’s in Hathersage. From the Fairholmes Car Park you can get to either side of the dam/reservoir though. I’m guessing you’ll have to get there early if you want to park in the Car Park. I’m not sure it’ll be as busy as last time though as it’s midweek compared to the weekend last time.

Back