Darkslinger's 52 Week Challenge - 2023

Excellent technique again Bill.
You’ve even captured the yellow parking lines!
Thanks Peter, slightly different than the usual ones that I've been doing but something that I've been experimenting with

Nice effect and captures the season nicely
Thank you Jim

That's a terrific multiple exposure Bill. I like the way the colours have been portayed.
Thanks Pete, it would have been better if they had been in full bloom, but you work with what you have... :D

Great picture again Bill, gives the tree a lovely delicate look
Thanks Keith!

I love this.. such softness while not losing the subject. Great image.
Thank you Helen, much appreciated.

Clever stuff again from you Bill. Works nicely.
Thanks Simon.

Super images, it works really well.
Thanks Nicky.

Week #14 - Smooth.

Went out to Crescent Beach to try to get some long exposures but it was so windy that most of my shots were c**ppy...

This was best of them

Apr 09-23-4.jpg

I ended up going back a couple days later and it was less windy. I liked these ones and even though they weren't long exposures, the water was very smooth:

Apr 10-23-11.jpgApr 10-23-10.jpgApr 10-23-8.jpgApr 10-23-5.jpg

No 3 for me.
This was a very interesting decision for me, because I prefer the detail in 2. I *think* that I like the composition more in 3.

Hi Bill. Think there's a fair bit of love for your last. I think I'll join that.

Love the high key, high contrast look. The minimal, with the three strong verticals and the lovely reflections make it.

good set Bill.
I like the "minimal" 4th the best.
Thanks Peter, I was trying to go for a more high key shot for the 4th and 5th images.

A nice set Bill. The 4th one is my pick of a good bunch.
Thanks Simon!

No 3 for me.
This was a very interesting decision for me, because I prefer the detail in 2. I *think* that I like the composition more in 3.
LOL, my thought process exactly Donal! I liked the composition of #3 the best. Although in hindsight I could have bumped the whites up a bit more.
Nice set Bill, number 2 and 3 for me as more detail in the clouds and I prefer the darker tones
Thanks Keith.

Hi Bill. Think there's a fair bit of love for your last. I think I'll join that.

Love the high key, high contrast look. The minimal, with the three strong verticals and the lovely reflections make it.
Thanks Graham!

The third one for me Bill. I love the composition and the processing is just beautiful.
Thank you Pete!

A nice set.. I think I prefer the last two which have more of a high key feel to them.
Thanks Helen, that is what I was going for.

All nice variations on a theme Bill.

Pete
Thanks Pete!

Week #15 - Snapper's Choice

Walked around Vancouver and Surrey last week and took a variety of shots.

From Bear Creek Park in Surrey:

Apr 14-23-4.jpg

Apr 14-23.jpg

From various areas of Vancouver (all in walking distance)
False Creek:
Apr 14-23-9.jpg

Granville Island:
smaller-9.jpg

David Lam Park:
smaller-8.jpg

Downtown:
Apr 14-23-29.jpg

Another fine set Bill. Any one would be worthy.

I really like the False Creek one. Live the reflected prow of the little boat and the fact you have focal points all the way through and the fantastic mountains in the distance make me envious.

Another fine example of the 360° view of the tree. I confess I tried this technique a few weeks back and failed miserably. Perhaps it would make a good technique to be included?

Another fine set Bill. Any one would be worthy.

I really like the False Creek one. Live the reflected prow of the little boat and the fact you have focal points all the way through and the fantastic mountains in the distance make me envious.

Another fine example of the 360° view of the tree. I confess I tried this technique a few weeks back and failed miserably. Perhaps it would make a good technique to be included?
Thanks Graham, I liked the False Creek image as well but thought that the First Nations depiction of the salmon really deserved to be front and center of this challenge.

The "Pep Ventosa inspired" cherry tree was a little different for me. I wanted to try to highlight the cherry blossoms on the ground and thought that a low perspective would make for a nice change. I've also been playing with using multiple images of similar subject and combining them as if they were "in the round" shots. On that day I did one image combining 8 different cherry trees.

It would make a great challenge because it can be done both inside and outside. I done images of a number of indoor subjects, where, rather than waking around the image, I have the camera on a tripod and rotate the subject itself. All great fun.

Again a good set, all interesting.
I have also done the rotating of the object at home, I don't think I've quite mastered the technique or it maybe the PP.

Again a good set, all interesting.
I have also done the rotating of the object at home, I don't think I've quite mastered the technique or it maybe the PP.
Thanks Allan, all of my experience has just been trial and error (and a mishmash of YouTube tips... :D )

I prefer your chosen image Bill. False creek does nothing for me.
Just enough of the totem pole to make me want to see more.

Some great images and two diverse locations! I rather lean towards the multiple exposure of the trees.

Great set of images Bill, like them all but really like the concrete bench shot.
Thanks Dave.

Another cracking set from you Bill. Love the colours in that flower!
Thank you Simon.

The main thread shot is some kind of totem pole?
The shot there that I would have taken in the False Creek. But I think I would have been looking for a slightly different angle.
Thanks Tim, it's a support pole for a covered area where outdoor activities can take place. Carved in the style of the totems.
I almost chose the rowboat shot...
I prefer your chosen image Bill. False creek does nothing for me.
Just enough of the totem pole to make me want to see more.
Thanks Peter.

Some great images and two diverse locations! I rather lean towards the multiple exposure of the trees.
Thanks Helen, I did a number of different versions using this technique.

Another great set Bill, the second picture and David Lam park for me
Thank you Keith.

Week #16 - Connected (posted slightly late :cool:)

Seems I'm doing a lot of catchup this year...
I took these shots during the right week just didn't get around to posting them.

I had to take the ferry from the mainland to Nanaimo for work and thought that I'd try to see what I could find during the crossing back.

A few items that are connected to other items:
Apr 24-16.jpgApr 24-12.jpgApr 24-10.jpg

The stairs that the upper deck to the lower deck:
Apr 24-15.jpg

One of the ferries that keeps some of the Gulf Islands connected to the Mainland. I like this the best for it's minimalist feel.
Apr 24-2.jpg

Week #17 - Liquid

I was struggling trying to find something to shoot, luckily we got a little rain so I took out my trusty macro and tried for some liquid drop shots:

Drops on some plant leaves:

May 02-23.jpgMay 02-23-4.jpg

And on my daughter's car window:

May 02-23-6.jpgMay 02-23-5.jpg

Nice set there Bill :)

Connected. absolutely love this shot, lots of negative space, mono conversion spot on and an interesting minimalist theme. I try to get shots like this but at the moment seam to of lost the "eye" for it.
Liquid. Good composition and macro shot.

A "little" rain? You should have been here for that last 4 months Bill, we've had plenty! :LOL:
Good shots as always. Bang on theme.
I also love the ferry shot for "Connected"

The last one is my faourite, What lens did you use?

The ferry shot is great too. and for some reason I really like the first "connected" shot. I think that it brings back very happy memories of many ferry trips to Spain. There were always rusty bits somewhere to be seen.

I like the moodiness and simplicity of the ferry shot.
Lovely colour and dof in the liquid image.. nice one.

Back