Darkslinger's 52 Week Challenge - 2023

Excellent image Bill and good for the theme.
I've tried this interval timer shooting a few times now (in camera on the Nikon) but can never get a result as good as yours.
You must have very steady hands.

That's something I've not seen before. Great spot and excellent use of PS to combine.
The red of the tree and the strong verticals make it!
Also like the way we can see the rabbit in the combined shot. Top work!

I have also tried this kind of shot but I think you have nailed it a better result than I have ever managed

Nice unusual shot - good stuff :)

I love this, I've done similar things myself but never got a result this good.
Thank you Nicky, I've been practicing it for a while now.

Very good! I too have tried this technique, but largely failed.
Keep at it Paul!. My first attempts weren't all the good.

I really like this image. Must give it a try when I find something that will work.
Thanks Helen, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Excellent image Bill and good for the theme.
I've tried this interval timer shooting a few times now (in camera on the Nikon) but can never get a result as good as yours.
You must have very steady hands.
Thanks Peter, not so much an interval shooting technique, as a shooting from different perspectives technique.
My trusty OM-D M1 has super IBS.

That's something I've not seen before. Great spot and excellent use of PS to combine.
The red of the tree and the strong verticals make it!
Also like the way we can see the rabbit in the combined shot. Top work!
Thank you Graham, I added a layer mask and painted in the rabbit from the layer beneath.

I have also tried this kind of shot but I think you have nailed it a better result than I have ever managed
Thanks Allan, I'd like to see your shots.

That's an excellent post processing work and I like it. :clap:
Thanks Stan.

Nice unusual shot - good stuff :)
Thank you Dave!

Artificial is a brilliant shot/s. Not something that would ever have occurred to me to try but it certainly works to great effect :)

Artificial is a brilliant shot/s. Not something that would ever have occurred to me to try but it certainly works to great effect :)
Thanks Hadron, I appreciate the kind words.

Week #4 - Transparent
I was originally thinking that I would just go out and do some street shooting of people and things seen through windows when I started playing around with the idea of holding a transparent object in front of my lens and see what I could get. We have these cool wine tumblers and the opening of the mouth is almost exactly the same size as my lens:
1a.jpg

I took a couple of test shots around the house and decided to see what I would get on a photowalk.
I went down to Deas Island Park with the dogs and this is the first "test" shot that I took:

Original
1b.jpg
Through the glass
1c.jpg
There had been some flooding in the park and this tree caught my eye:
1d.jpg

Through the glass I got this:
1f.jpg

After the park, I went home, dropped te dogs off and walked around the neighbourhood a bit, the SFU research building is has very interesting detail:
1g.jpg

And I got this:
1h.jpg

Today I went downtown and shot the Flatiron building in Gastown:
1i.jpg
Through the tumbler I got this result:
1j.jpg

Ultimately liked the tree the best followed closely by the Flatiron building. It was a fun exercise, I might start carrying a wine tumbler around with me all the time, even if I don't use it for my photography (lots of wine bars in Vancouver... :D )

Reactions: nog
Great work Bill, very original.

The centre portion of your first "enhanced" shot reminds me of some of the lens test shots we see - sadly that lens seems to exhibit some aberrations!

I think you chose the right shot, and I really like the inclusion of the "ripples" at the bottom of the frame - inspired. I also like the SFU shot.

Really like the 2 tree pictures transparent and artificial and the technique/editing of artificial.Think a few people may be trying that method in the months to come :)

Clever clogs idea and works well :)

Great to see your local area, very creative shots again! Thanks for the background info leading to these too.

The tree is great and works really well. Look at those picnic benches! Can't see them being used today.

Another interesting set Bill.

I prefer the one of the SFU building. I love those graphic distorted shapes and it works well in black and white.

Very creative, all would work for me

Thanks for an interesting back story... that's a great walk! Any of them fit the theme although I quite like the research building.

Great work Bill, very original.

The centre portion of your first "enhanced" shot reminds me of some of the lens test shots we see - sadly that lens seems to exhibit some aberrations!

I think you chose the right shot, and I really like the inclusion of the "ripples" at the bottom of the frame - inspired. I also like the SFU shot.
I got lucky with that Paul, it was quite bright out and hard to really see what I had captured via my camera screen. The lines in the wine tumbler worked well with the water.

Really like the 2 tree pictures transparent and artificial and the technique/editing of artificial.Think a few people may be trying that method in the months to come :)
Thanks Keith, it was fun but I was in constant fear of dropping the glass :D

Great idea. The tree one was the right choice. But the others are just as effective.
Thanks David!

Clever clogs idea and works well :)
Thank you Dave!

Great to see your local area, very creative shots again! Thanks for the background info leading to these too.

The tree is great and works really well. Look at those picnic benches! Can't see them being used today.
Yeah just a little flooded Graham :). Luckily it's a big park with lots of other, drier, areas...

Another interesting set Bill.

I prefer the one of the SFU building. I love those graphic distorted shapes and it works well in black and white.
I was really torn between the two Pete. The SFU building is what I had envisioned getting when I left the house.

Very creative, all would work for me
Thanks Jim!

You certainly have some creative ideas Bill.
This one is great and any would fit the theme.
Thank you Peter!

Thanks for an interesting back story... that's a great walk! Any of them fit the theme although I quite like the research building.
Thanks Helen, that was a very close second for me.

Great idea!
Thanks Gav!

Week #5 - The choice of the Snapper!

A really busy week this week, we leave for Mexico tomorrow!

I had some time on Monday so I decided to take a drive over to Deep Cove, North Vancouver. Amidst pouring rain (with some intermittent breaks) I managed to grab a few shots.
I started at the seaside by the village and got a shot of the harbour:

Transparent-3.jpg

And a small stream the flowed down to the water:

Transparent-5.jpg

After enduring the rain trying for some long exposures (that I wasn't that happy with), I drove over to Cates Park where I took this 1 minute shot of the inlet:

Transparent-8.jpg

And caught this couple walking down the beach past the channel marker:

Transparent-10.jpg

And finally ended up taking 16 shots of the channel marker from different perspectives and combining them in PS to create this:

Transparent.jpg

Very jealous of the area you live in. Lovely set, great composition and great wispy clouds in the harbour image.

The inlet is my fave though. The colour of the barges placed solely up in that one area appeals, but the milky stillness of the water around the stones I love.

I agree with your chosen shot Bill.
The juxtaposition of the 2 people and the channel marker make it stand out,

A great set, and I like your selected shot very much.
Thanks Paul

Good set but I do like the harbour shot
Yes, I like the pop of colour from the barge. Thanks Allen.

Very jealous of the area you live in. Lovely set, great composition and great wispy clouds in the harbour image.

The inlet is my fave though. The colour of the barges placed solely up in that one area appeals, but the milky stillness of the water around the stones I love.
Thank you Graham, I do live in a beautiful area.

I agree with your chosen shot Bill.
The juxtaposition of the 2 people and the channel marker make it stand out,
Thanks Peter.

Week #6 - Knob(s)

A bit of a catchup and a bit of a shoehorn.

We were in Mexico all of the past week with limited and spotty WiFi so I wasn't able to post, and, to be honest, not the most inspiring of themes for such a beautiful resort. I thought that I would end up with a big fat zero when I got back but then I spotted these very large decorative pots place throughout the lobbies and foyers and their lids had knobs on them!

Time for a creative multi-exposure shot! All of these were at least 7 images taken as I moved around the pot and blended in Photoshop.

While I love the colour of the the first two shots the graphic nature of the my chose shot really grabbed me when I processed it as a black and white image in Nik Silver Efex Pro 2.

PV 2023-15.jpgPV 2023-23.jpgPV 2023-16.jpg

Think the Pot/knob you have chosen for the thread is the correct one, must be hard trying to find mundane in such a beautiful and exciting place.

Think the Pot/knob you have chosen for the thread is the correct one, must be hard trying to find mundane in such a beautiful and exciting place.
Thanks Roger, yes that was my challenge. Knobs vs. beautiful seascapes, sand and sun...I have to say I wish it was my challenge every day...1676827199341.png

Creative as always Bill. I love the first colour one. I can see why you chose the last but it makes me dizzy looking at it! :LOL:

Third one is my favourite. I really do like the results that you get with this technique.

Creative as always Bill. I love the first colour one. I can see why you chose the last but it makes me dizzy looking at it! :LOL:
Thanks Simon, the first one is actually comprised of about 15 images of about 8 different, but similar, pots that are in the main lobby.

Third one is my favourite. I really do like the results that you get with this technique.
Thanks Donal, it's a fun (and forgiving) technique. I never know what I'm going to end up with.

Back