DataCo Ruling

• Thread starter Deleted member 29733
  • Start date
....I have fantastic video of both my boys in school productions from reception through to year 6. The school encouraged parents to take photos and video. I would be really disappointed not to have those videos.

We have some of the grandchildren in school plays, now you are not allowed to do this, even my granddaughter's dancing shows cannot be videoed so you have to buy the DVD's.

James' argument seems to be that because some people take photos from the stands and try to sell them we must ban everyone from taking any sort of camera in to the ground.

Hold on...it's not MY argument. I am not an employee of the Football DataCo, just a photographer that works for a licence-holder.

Unfortunately it's always the idiot minority that spoil things for the majority...

That's for sure James.

I did a quick search on Flickr for Premier League football and most seem to be official ones.

When I did find something it doesn't look like the photo that is going to deprive any pro of any money.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lothario/3536094271/

Taken with a Finepix Z20.

Or what about this one http://www.flickr.com/photos/kk_wpg/2597536208/

This is not going to take any money away from anyone. Look bottom right for the official togs.

Last one - again on a P&S http://www.flickr.com/photos/auusi/274863745/

I'm the photographer who has taken photos on the FZ20 (I have significantly upgraded since :).)

In summary, the Stadiums DO allow you to take photos. DSLR are allowed pre-game (eg warm up) BUT Compacts can only be used DURING games.

A head steward of ONE stadium informed me that I can publish/upload them (flickr, Facebook etc) but NOT sell them.

....A head steward of ONE stadium informed me that I can publish/upload them (flickr, Facebook etc) but NOT sell them.

So a head steward know's more about the law/rules than the people who made and oversee them?.

I took mine at a friendly cup competition and I didn't do it so I could sell them and I CANNOT put them on my website just for people to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
So a head steward know's more about the law/rules than the people who made and oversee them?.

I took mine at a friendly cup competition and I didn't do it so I could sell them and I CANNOT put them on my website just for people to see.

No, that is not what I am saying :)

Though, he must have been asked that question so many times that the response must have been relayed by the Stadium's Front Office.

Besides - photography and sharing on public websites is so common, could it be regulated? I, personally, think not.

I'm the photographer who has taken photos on the FZ20 (I have significantly upgraded since :).)

In summary, the Stadiums DO allow you to take photos. DSLR are allowed pre-game (eg warm up) BUT Compacts can only be used DURING games.

A head steward of ONE stadium informed me that I can publish/upload them (flickr, Facebook etc) but NOT sell them.

Sorry...wrong answer.

Unless you have a licence from the Football DataCo NO CAMERA'S are allowed during the game, regardless of what any steward says.

www.football-dataco.com is the place to look. Specifically HERE (Link)

Without a licence, you are breaking the rules and stand to be ejected from the ground (i've seen it happen) and lose any season ticket you might have.

Regardless of what the steward at whichever ground this was says...that is the bottom line.

Not Footie but Rugby, I get fed up of people telling me its OK to shoot from the stands when its clearly not allowed by the clubs or the governing body, i get absolutly fed up of pointing people to the 3 foot signs located around every Super League Club and every Aviva Premiership ground, just because people choose not to look for them doesnt mean they arent there or musnt be abided by, Rules are rules.

Heres a link to Headingleys ground regulations, note point 14 http://www.leedscarnegie.com/club/ground_regulations.php

Sorry...wrong answer.

Unless you have a licence from the Football DataCo NO CAMERA'S are allowed during the game, regardless of what any steward says.

www.football-dataco.com is the place to look. Specifically HERE (Link)

Without a licence, you are breaking the rules and stand to be ejected from the ground (i've seen it happen) and lose any season ticket you might have.

Regardless of what the steward at whichever ground this was says...that is the bottom line.

People who take photos at games do not take them within a professional capacity.

There are no rules at the ground I had attended.

Which is good, because it is hard to enforce now that phones have cameras included.

Yes there are... Includes no cameras allowed. Same rule at every ground in the UK from premiership to the lowest non league.

People who take photos at games do not take them within a professional capacity.

Makes no difference. It's a no camera rule, not a no cameras from pro's rule.

All grounds where a Football League/Premier League 1st team, reserve team or youth team play are bound by the Football DataCo regulations regarding displaying images on the internet. If you look at the DataCo website regarding "agreements" you can see that a licence to display any photos (ie. an End User Licence) will set you back £1000 and it is not guaranteed that you'll get one.

So, even if you're not taking photos "within a professional capacity", you still can't display them.

Which is good, because it is hard to enforce now that phones have cameras included.

At last, we do agree something. It is very difficult to enforce all people. The DataCo are far more likely to clamp down on those individuals who do display their images online...

Last edited:
Saw a guy at Everton v Arsenal today taking pic's in the stands with a D3 and a 70-200 and no one said anything. Seems secuity are more focused on crowd trouble, than people taking a few snaps

Yes there are... Includes no cameras allowed. Same rule at every ground in the UK from premiership to the lowest non league.

Prove it.

The only signs that I have seen are:

"You will be arrested for running on the pitch"

"Smoking Not Permitted"

"Racist Language Not Allowed"

As another forum member has said, stewards are more concerned with crowd safety than copyright laws.

What's significant about an FZ38 and a SD780?

Prove it.

Are you a 12yo school kid? You're talking to people who earn their living from photographing sport and submit the images that you see in national Press and probably slaver over.

Additionally, just because you haven't seen the notices, it doesn't mean that they aren't there. Ignorance is no defence in law. Try reading the programme properly one day, it's probably listed in there as well, as a condition of entry.

I would be interested to see how that would work. Honestly.

They can start by having your photographs removed from Flickr by Yahoo. Six months ago LA Zoo objected to photographs that appeared of some of their animals on SmugMug, and protested about it to SM direct. SM removed the images from their system without a second thought, and only subsequently advised the account holder.

Last edited:
Prove it.

"You will be arrested for running on the pitch"

"Smoking Not Permitted"

"Racist Language Not Allowed"

As another forum member has said, stewards are more concerned with crowd safety than copyright laws.

Stop getting an arse on and try reading the GROUND REGULATIONS and try reading what it says on the back of your ticket :)

We aren't a bunch of armchair photographers in here...the vast majority of us are out there every weekend doing this for a living...do you really think we've actually got the time or inclination to ******** you?

Look at the back of your ticket...or...if you've bothered to, the very first post in this thread outlines it from the man in charge of accreditations etc at Football DataCo.

Just in case you missed it:

I took some photo's at the Emirates Cup this year and was wondering if they could be put on my website - when its done.

My initial reaction was no, so I emailed DataCo to find out and this is their reply.

Hi Martin Thank you for your email sorry the answer is no as ground regulations do not allow recording equipment into grounds for audio or visual capture. Best regards Derek.

So there you have it

Ok we all know that taking of photos anbd video is not allowed but I also think we can agree that it is impossible to stop.

I think we can also agree that we don't want people in the stands taking photos that will take away earnings from the professionals who are credit and are at the grounds.

However can someone explain how the guy in the stand is taking money away from the credited togs?

The guy with his P&S is not selling them to the papers so where are they depriving the working tog?

Ok we all know that taking of photos anbd video is not allowed but I also think we can agree that it is impossible to stop.

I think we can also agree that we don't want people in the stands taking photos that will take away earnings from the professionals who are credit and are at the grounds.

However can someone explain how the guy in the stand is taking money away from the credited togs?

The guy with his P&S is not selling them to the papers so where are they depriving the working tog?

By having stuff up for sale (or to give away) via flickr/alamy/etc there is the possibility that they will take money away from accredited photographers. It's not definite, but the sale of images is very closely regulated from the premier league, if someone want's to start making unauthorised merchandise, are they going to approach an agency (who will tell them where to get off) or some guy on flickr?

That's a bad situation for everyone...

I don't agree it's impossible to stop...though with mobile phones it's difficult. Take a look at the NBA/NHL/NFL...fans are searched at the turnstiles for cameras etc. and if they have them, they're confiscated. Given that fans are searched in the UK for all manner of items, why not add cameras to that list?

That cuts down the majority of cameras...phones you can't regulate, I agree with that.

On an unrelated matter, do you have access to the plates/layouts for the Welsh edition of the Daily Star Rob? Apparently I've got a nice 1/2 page from the Wales v South Africa game, but I wasnt able to find a copy yesterday...

Last edited:
On an unrelated matter, do you have access to the plates/layouts for the Welsh edition of the Daily Star Rob? Apparently I've got a nice 1/2 page from the Wales v South Africa game, but I wasnt able to find a copy yesterday...

Yep sure do.

What page?

Please send me a PM with your email address again. Remember PDF normally over 10mb so Hotmail account no good.

In a nutshell all football league/premiership stadiums are bound by the Football DataCo rules which are as quoted previously by Derek Johnson. Some stadiums/clubs enforce this some are very relaxed. However should anyone (and I mean anyone) be discovered by DataCo displaying images on a website or offer for sale images taken inside a football league/premiership stadium DataCo will demand they be removed and will inforce this legally if ignored. This rule applies to anyone taking images by any means.

Make that England only.

Dataco have no control over imaging in Scotland at all, only over the fixture lists.

Make that England only.

Dataco have no control over imaging in Scotland at all, only over the fixture lists.

No.. make that the UK .. ground rules have nothing to do with dataco..

I give up with this thread... nobodies interested in replies from experience... better to guess and presume :(

I give up with this thread... nobodies interested in replies from experience... better to guess and presume :(

Almost tempting to send on a link to you know who...but I don't want to be that guy

Photography is allowed in MLB/NBA/NHL and NFL games.

Here are the rules for the NHL:

http://www.theaircanadacentre.com/contact/FAQ.asp#17

Can I bring my camera to an event?
For most events, the use of flash photography and professional equipment, video or audio recording is not permitted. Small point-and-shoot cameras are generally permitted inside the building. We reserve the right to confiscate any tape or film that is used during an event.

NBA: Use of flash photography is prohibited. Video cameras are permitted, but the use of still photos or video footage for commercial purposes without written permission from the NBA is strictly prohibited.
NHL: Video cameras are not permitted. Non-flash photography is allowed; however, if the lens is detachable it must not exceed 75mm.

NLL (Toronto Rock): Video cameras are not permitted. Non-flash photography is allowed; however, if the lens is detachable it must not exceed 75mm.

Concerts and Live Events: As the camera policy for each event varies, we recommend that fans contact Fan Services at (416) 815-5982.

For most events, the use of flash photography and professional equipment, video or audio recording is not permitted. Small point-and-shoot cameras are generally permitted inside the building. We reserve the right to confiscate any tape or film that is used during an event.

NBA: Use of flash photography is prohibited. Video cameras are permitted, but the use of still photos or video footage for commercial purposes without written permission from the NBA is strictly prohibited.
NHL: Video cameras are not permitted. Non-flash photography is allowed; however, if the lens is detachable it must not exceed 75mm.

NLL (Toronto Rock): Video cameras are not permitted. Non-flash photography is allowed; however, if the lens is detachable it must not exceed 75mm.

Concerts and Live Events: As the camera policy for each event varies, we recommend that fans contact Fan Services at (416) 815-5982.

Er nobody is talking about MLB/NBA/NHL and NFL. This is a thread about DataCo rules.

OK fine...great.

However, my example was based upon saying you can search people on entry...you know, whatever. I guarantee that DataCo will probably catch up on you soon enough, we all know they monitor the site here so I'd be aware.

By having stuff up for sale (or to give away) via flickr/alamy/etc there is the possibility that they will take money away from accredited photographers. It's not definite, but the sale of images is very closely regulated from the premier league, if someone want's to start making unauthorised merchandise, are they going to approach an agency (who will tell them where to get off) or some guy on flickr?

That's a bad situation for everyone...

I don't agree it's impossible to stop...though with mobile phones it's difficult. Take a look at the NBA/NHL/NFL...fans are searched at the turnstiles for cameras etc. and if they have them, they're confiscated. Given that fans are searched in the UK for all manner of items, why not add cameras to that list?That cuts down the majority of cameras...phones you can't regulate, I agree with that.

I was responding to this...

I think I stirred up a hornets nest, thats what you get for trying to be helpful :LOL:.

Off now to get me flak jacket on.:)

Now now chaps, let's not make this personal.

flickring_mad, there s a wealth of experience in this thread which could be of great help to you if you ever want to get anywhere with sports photography but, quite frankly, your attitude has been quite insulting. I suggest reining it in a bit and may try and take heed of the information people are giving you, they are acctually trying to help you.

Now now chaps, let's not make this personal.

flickring_mad, there s a wealth of experience in this thread which could be of great help to you if you ever want to get anywhere with sports photography but, quite frankly, your attitude has been quite insulting. I suggest reining it in a bit and may try and take heed of the information people are giving you, they are acctually trying to help you.

Thanks Marc...however, I don't think flickring_mad is interested in listening to anyone's opinions. He's clearly made his mind up that he is somehow exempt from the Football DataCo rules that everyone else abides by.

As I've said, we all know that the DataCo monitor various websites around the world, including here at TP and Flickr. It would surprise me if Mr "Mad" doesn't find his Flickr photostream inexcplicably culled soon.

I would also bet money on him posting some comments somewhere on the web asking "why have my PL photos disappeared and what's this threatening letter from the DataCo?" Do a google search...lots of people fall foul of the Fixture List licensing rules, they follow them up ruthlessly.

I photographed a series of disabled England football matches... the organisation was done by a third party company who asked me to put the pictures online for players and family to view or purchase..

DJ at dataco phoned me and told me I wasnt allowed to sell player photogrpahs with england badges on them... so i had to password them to stop the public viewing... Thats me innocently getting it wrong because the organisors asked me to do it.. yet I get a bad mark from dataco for showing them...

That wasnt the first or last call I ahve had from dataco either... The problem with dataco is they have all these rules but you need to have a licence to see them.. there not listed anywhere for people to read and abide by them... Can anyone show me a rule anywhere about the england badge?

Back