Datacolor Spyder5Express - Amazon lightning deal

Fozzybear

Suspended / Banned
Name
Kev
Edit My Images
Yes
Just a heads up to anyone wanting to buy a budget calibrator.

The Datacolor Spyder5Express is a lightning deal at 8.30am tomorrow. I can see it dropping sub £70 (£85 atm). Seems to get decent reviews as well.

Just a heads up to anyone wanting to buy a budget calibrator.

The Datacolor Spyder5Express is a lightning deal at 8.30am tomorrow. I can see it dropping sub £70 (£85 atm). Seems to get decent reviews as well.

CRAP I just bought one last week!

Thanks for the heads up, I might be interested at the right price.

Is anyone using this on a Windows 10 PC? There's no mention of drivers on the website.

I bought one - hopefully it will give better results on my telly than the Huey!

Is anyone using this on a Windows 10 PC? There's no mention of drivers on the website.

I did find one comment suggesting that if there were problems after upgrading to W10 from 8.1 that the user should reinstall the software & all would be well.

I have a Spyder3Pro and have huge issues with Windows10 and Nvidia drivers. Basically the combo prevents the Spyder from detecting the monitor so can't assign a calibration. It works if you uninstall Spyder then reboot, reinstall. But will fail the next time it boots. I'm not convinced that the same issue won't be prevalent in Spyder5, but look forward to hearing if its fine.

Gutted missed this - if anyone wants to move theirs on please let me know.

I've just bought one to try. :)

Last edited:
There is some shareware DispcalGui and Argyllcms to make the express behave like an elite.
I'm running it at the moment! It's a lot slower than the native software, but seems to be running a bunch of tests. Hopefully I'll finally have a suitable calibration on my telly!

Ah - was out last night. How do people know when it will be reduced ?

I've just bought the Pro in the Lightning Deal, and it's still there at the moment.

Is the pro listed under electronics?

Its supposed to be much more accurate than the native software, and consistently so (or so the reviewer said about Spyder4).
I did find one "gotcha". I had run a test calibration with the native software before installing the DisplayCal software. The native stuff has a small background task that keeps checking that the correct calibration is loaded. Since the calibration process in DisplayCal changes the lookup table regularly, they were in conflict and I couldn't get a calibration out of the DisplayCal software. Uninstalling the datacolour software fixed this. I've still a slight tint, but as I'm running that PC on a telly, I know I'll need to have a better look at how best to calibrate it (i.e. I never thought it would be a simple push-button operation)

Both the elite and the express versions are back up again. The elite at 5pm and the express at 9 am tomorrow. Both times are for prime subscribers, so 30 mins later for everyone else.

Spyder 5 Elite is currently on offer for £123.25 (until 9pm).

My Express arrived earlier. Will give it a try later tonight.

There is some shareware DispcalGui and Argyllcms to make the express behave like an elite.

Are there any recent step by step instructions on how to use these? Can't get my head around it.

I only saw references on Amazon.com (US) take a look on the reviews for the Spyder 4. The DisplayCal didn't used to support Spyder5 but I can see on their website it lists Spyder5 now. Not done it myself. My Spyder3 is broken on Windows 10 with geforce drivers, will not be impressed if the Spyder5 pro doesn't work (needed multi-monitor support - although the above route might've worked).

I only saw references on Amazon.com (US) take a look on the reviews for the Spyder 4. The DisplayCal didn't used to support Spyder5 but I can see on their website it lists Spyder5 now. Not done it myself. My Spyder3 is broken on Windows 10 with geforce drivers, will not be impressed if the Spyder5 pro doesn't work (needed multi-monitor support - although the above route might've worked).

I'll give it a miss and stick with the basic Datacolor software. You have to disable driver integrity checks and all sorts to get it working.

I am tempted too.

How are you guys finding the colour matches against your prints?

At least I am not alone with no will power. I came close earlier in the week, changed my mind, changed it again and finally called my wife on the way to work...

I feel that resisting the elite version and getting the express is an acceptable comprise.

Hmm, not such a 'Lightning' deal for me ... 1st told it would be here on Saturday, then today ... now 'it's been delayed'! :(

Hmm, not such a 'Lightning' deal for me ... 1st told it would be here on Saturday, then today ... now 'it's been delayed'! :(

I got mine OK, but if it's coming from the huge Amazon warehouse in Fife, I'd not be too surprised with a little delay.

Back