Dave450's 2010 52... UPDATED!! Week 8 - Mechanical!!!

Now that sounds like an interesting shot. I'd definitely like to see it.

I do really like the one that you've gone for though. Good lighting, good colours and LOTS of people. They obviously like their football :LOL:

I think Phil's comment about that one guy turned round to face the camera is spot on.
There's your focal point right there, and since you've been playing with crops it wouldn't be much more of a stretch to focus in on him a bit more. A bit chopped off the bottom to lose the motion blur on that one head and the hands holding the phone camera . . . then a bit off the LHS to place him on a third.
The flag around the shoulders of the guy behind him already draws your eye there, but placing him on a third will emphasise him even more. And I don't think that would lose much of the crowd feel either.

It is a very interesting shot though, lots to look at and a great vantage point. Were you stood on something?

Always look forward to your c&c now :) I was stood right at the top of the ramblas, but standing on a wall that surrounded an entrance to the tube\train station. Proper balance body moment trying to get shot :)

Im glad the photo has caused a little debate, be it crops or filters last week. It good to get a feel for what people like, ill keep churning out the marmite shots :)

Just for you Sarah....

week7diff.jpg

Where's Wally? Definitely a few people in there, probably more than the rest of this week's shots put together :D Tricky lighting and you've caught it well. I'm not going to agree on needing a focal point, purely because it's about the whole rather than an exclusive one or few. And also because I'm in an awkward mood ;)

Where's Wally? Definitely a few people in there, probably more than the rest of this week's shots put together :D Tricky lighting and you've caught it well. I'm not going to agree on needing a focal point, purely because it's about the whole rather than an exclusive one or few. And also because I'm in an awkward mood ;)

ha ha ha nothing wrong with being awkward, but also thanks for showing the argument for no focal point :) seems to have split the forum nicely :)

Thanks for popping in (y)

what a very lot of people! I have only ever seen the Ramblas just about empty. Looks much more exciting in your photo.

A huge number of people, and they look like they are enjoying themselves... Great colours too. I think it works as is. That second one is great, not so many people, but it works well...

Lots and lots of people. A couple of people have mentioned someone looking at the camera. Is this the guy in the light purple shirt? Just he is the one that keeps drawing my eye.

The first shot is fun but I prefer the second one with them climbing the lamp standard. I think you could improve it by cropping about 1cm from the left, slightly less from the right, and a tiny bit off the top, so that you lose some of the distracting highlights at the edges. You don't need to crop the light off completely but reduce the burnt-out area. Then I would put a black border all around it to contain the remaining highlights.

I think it would concentrate the eye on the main subject more, without losing the overall context. Just my opinion, though.

Many thanks for all your comment guys (y) cropping is an area where my taste is in the minority, so i'm very grateful for all your comments on the subject!!

OK so time was mega pushed this week, must have been the theme cos my car died, so alot of free time I was under the bonnet fixing the damn thing.

However I got my mate to help, and here is his mechanical beast!! :)

08mechanical.jpg

The subject matter's not doing a lot for me Dave but that's probably because I'm not a petrol head. The image definitely needs a squarer crop to lose the distracting pink and silver bits on the sides (or a bit of desat and burning). Not quite sure why Trans Am is straight whilst Pontiac is on the wonk either. Must be one of them cheap cars ;)

You need to update thread title for week 8 too :)

The subject matter's not doing a lot for me Dave but that's probably because I'm not a petrol head. The image definitely needs a squarer crop to lose the distracting pink and silver bits on the sides (or a bit of desat and burning). Not quite sure why Trans Am is straight whilst Pontiac is on the wonk either. Must be one of them cheap cars ;)

You need to update thread title for week 8 too :)

Thanks for popping in (y) yeah the Trans AM and Pontiac arent straight, caused me hell when straighening the photo :)

yeah cropping out the pink and silver bits would help :bang: doh!!

Thanks for suggestions! (y)

Maybe your mate and Terran could get a contest going for cleanest engine bay :LOL: It's an interesting shot, I agree about the pink bit (washer fluid ?) and the bodywork. It's odd that some is straight and others aren't, yet it looks like it was shot square...

The subject matter's not doing a lot for me Dave...

Works for me... and there's shiny bits under the 'hood' too... do we get to see what's encasing this mechanical piece?

Works for me... and there's shiny bits under the 'hood' too... do we get to see what's encasing this mechanical piece?

I'll see what I got for you ;)

Once upon a time I'd have wet myself at this picture, but these days I like my engine bays diiirty and at least 3 feet off the floor. Having said that I like the picture, it's composed nicely, there's lots to look at and it's bang on theme.

Once upon a time I'd have wet myself at this picture, but these days I like my engine bays diiirty and at least 3 feet off the floor. Having said that I like the picture, it's composed nicely, there's lots to look at and it's bang on theme.

Yeah I've been through a similar transition with engines, prefer mine well used, and covered in mud :) :) Thanks for the comments (y)

The sharpness is quite good and it certainly fits the theme. I can't get over how clean that engine is...

Just for you Sarah....

Thanks Dave - and I do like this one (y)

Mechanical : well, I'm not a petrol head, but I've quite enjoyed seeing the engine shots from you and Terran.
Probably something to do with watching Kylie Minogue in Neighbours when I was about 12 years old (and if you don't know what I'm talking about, you're either too young or too old :LOL:)

You've definitely got the sharpness right and those reflections in the chrome are great.
I'm not too sure about the framing though - it all looks a bit too square for me. I think it may have made a more interesting composition if it was shot at an angle - and that would also have covered up the fact that the lettering on the two parts isn't quite parallel.

Back