Dave450's 2010 52... UPDATED!! Week 8 - Mechanical!!!

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, feel I needed a photography challenge, and a 365 is tooo mental for me! So welcome to my 52 for 2010!!

My Rules:

1) I will comment on as many other 52'ers as I can
2) I will commit to this fully!
3) I will play no more than 3 jokers, ie skip a week (when I am on holiday! lol) but will catch it up the following week.

WEEK 1 - Curves - Post 6
WEEK 2 - Poetry - Post 29 & 35 :LOL:
WEEK 3 - Chopped - Post 60
WEEK 4 - Street - Post 75
WEEK 5 - Speed - Post 96
WEEK 6 - Present - Post 107
WEEK 7 - People - Post 115
WEEK 8 - Mechanical - Post 130

So to everyone else who is doing this, good luck and cant wait to see you after Christmas on the 52nd week!!! :)

Last edited:
excellent, quick question, when does the subject change??? (Sunday??)

Thank you - time to re edit my original post :) happy times!!

Well here is my attempt. Slightly rushed as Ive joined mid week. With the snow around I stay in house for this one. Was tempted to clone out the tile times but then thought it was a good contrast against the curves.

All feedback is appreciated! Its pretty poor for a start, however I aim to improve over the year!

01Curves.jpg

Last edited:
All feedback is appreciated! Its pretty poor for a start, however I aim to improve over the year!

Hi Dave, we're all here to improve and I think it's a really good start to your project (y)
Quick question - Have you tweaked the WB on this? - it looks a little bit pinky to me.

I really like the idea of using the 3 jars, and the way that you've lined them up is good - just a bit of a shame that the teabag one is almost empty, would have looked better with it full.
I agree with you leaving the tiles in the background - it adds a nice touch. The only downside is that it emphasises the verticals not being quite straight. Could do with a bit of rotation anti-clockwise ????

Still a good start though and looking forward to the other 51 (y)

p.s. no need to rush. Next theme won't go up until Sunday night, so plenty of time yet.

Hi thanks for thaking the time to comment. Had only just noticed the tea bags were nearly empty :) lol thats the missus for you :nono::nono:

The only tweak I did with the RAW was the "auto fix" part on elements, so that might have thrown the white balance of a little. Vertical issue noted (y) something for me to look out for!

Again thanks for taking the time to comment, appreciate your thoughts and opinions. :clap:

Its pretty poor for a start

Hang around this place and you'll pick up loads. Just absorb the crit and don't take the hump like some people if you get no comments. Shoot something else, and try again. :)

Firstly, get yourself down to Tesco and get some tea - I can't ever imagine running out of tea bags at home! :bonk:

Now, on the picture front - I'll be honest. The overall image doesn't do anything for me I'm afraid. It may be the processing as you've said, but the image looks very pale. I'm also not sure if you've just uploaded a very low res image, but I'm seeing some pixelation on the furthest jar?
I think maybe you tried rushing this too much to meet the deadline, so I look forward to seeing your shots when you have taken more time.

I think this has milage, but I have a couple of suggestions that would make it more appealing to my eye.

1. Move the whole shot down and to the left. For me I'd want equal separation from the left most jar and the edge of the frame and the right most jar and the edge of the frame, and about double the clearance at the top of the top jar to the top of the frame. As it is right now my eye is drawn to the middle jar, not the front one, and of course that jar is blurry so it doesn't work.

2. It looks a trifle underexposed to my eye, I think the highlights give a bit of an issue here. Huge range in the image, possibly blow them out a bit more to bring up the rest of the image.

3. White balance might be off a shade, not quite sure on that one.

Ok thats me being hypercritical, but as a concept I like it. It fits with the theme nicely and I think the DoF works a treat. Although I listed three things above the reason I did it was because I think the image is close on all three, its only a minor adjustment to get it "right", right of course being my own eye, and there are a lot of people in the queue telling me my eye is a bit off :shrug:

Something on this seems slightly offbalance...

I really like the idea but just seems like there's something with the framing that could be improved.

Maybe the gap on the left could be reduced and also it just seems weird with the the jar in the front semi cut off.

Thanks to everyone for your comments...

I wont get the hump, I expect comments both good and bad to help me improve and appreciate them all!

You have all made valid points, and on looking back on the image after your comments, there spot on!

Thanks again and feel free to come back for week 2, I'll put more effort into it (y)

I like it, the WB seems a bit off, and I agree on the framing, maybe crop just a smidge off the left. A good start to the 52 and welcome aboard.

I like it, the WB seems a bit off, and I agree on the framing, maybe crop just a smidge off the left. A good start to the 52 and welcome aboard.

Thanks! From another Sussexer! (spelling lol)

I quite like the framing actually, but agree about the white balance. Nice shot all the same, something interesting about it (y)

I quite like the framing actually, but agree about the white balance. Nice shot all the same, something interesting about it (y)

Thanks for your comments. The composition seems to have created a little divide between people, like it? dont like it? :) all good stuff!

Don't want to beat you up but it does look a little flat. Look forward to seeing how you and we all collectively improve over the coming months. (y)

Don't want to beat you up but it does look a little flat. Look forward to seeing how you and we all collectively improve over the coming months. (y)

Please feel free to throw punches :) I wont get offended or upset. I aim to improve and the words of reality will help me to do so! :)

These might have been suggested already, but...

White balance seems a little off, but easily tweaked in PP.
Framing, fill the image with the jars. Maybe get down lower and if you have to, move the jars somewhere else to give you the space to get in close.

Good luck with your next shot :)

These might have been suggested already, but...

White balance seems a little off, but easily tweaked in PP.
Framing, fill the image with the jars. Maybe get down lower and if you have to, move the jars somewhere else to give you the space to get in close.

Good luck with your next shot :)

Totally agree with you - the concept worked but the kitchen didnt!! :cautious:

Thanks for your comments, appreciate them :clap:

Nice idea - I like it. (y) I agree about the white balance, but I think that having the middle jar half empty is more interesting than if it were full...

Thanks for your comments Tracer. Good too see a different opinion about my tea :LOL: lol

Thanks for taking the time to pop by!

Thanks Rob, comments appreciated! :clap:

Now thinking long and hard on this weeks theme!! Gonna be tricky!

Slightly inderexposed, white balance is way off (isn't sugar white?). On theme though (y)

Slightly inderexposed, white balance is way off (isn't sugar white?). On theme though (y)

Cheers for popping in ed, all comments are true, and hopefully the new theme will impress!! (Idea in head!!)

OK so this is not technically poetry, but the words have meanings so im hoping this could count. I feel alot better about week 2 than I did week 1!!! As always your C&C is appreciated.

Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy Kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory. for ever and ever. Amen

02Poetry.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Dave!

There are an AWFUL lot of 52s to comment on, I wouldn't feel put out if you don't get too much feedback. :)

For my money, the shot's a good idea. I find it a little dark though, and I'm struggling to find an in-focus area on my monitor at work. I wonder if the focussing would have worked in reverse, with the person pin-sharp and the candles getting softer toward the front of the image?

:) Steve

Hi Dave,

I like the compositional idea on this one, however there does not seem to be an specific point in focus that I can tell. That being said others may like the effect but it doesn't work for me sorry. Still a good effort.

People thanks for the comments!! Here is an alternate photo which a few of you suggested, had it tucked away just in case!! Focus on the vicar, bit brighter but it retains the natural light at the time! Hows this one?
02Poetry2.jpg

Last edited:
Prefer the original to be honest with the focal point beng the first candles and its very nearly spot on, just a little noisy

Great effort

Prefer the original to be honest with the focal point beng the first candles and its very nearly spot on, just a little noisy

Great effort

Thanks for popping in. Glad someone saw where the focal point was, thought I was going mad. Valid point on the noise, never used noise reduction software before so might be a worthwhile thing to do!

Thank you!

hi dave.. a lot dont look at others 52 threads until they've done theirs for that week.. ;)

I also prefer this version, nice idea, love the natural lighting..

(oops quick edit.. ;) )

Last edited:
Obviously a marmite issue, but I like this image better! :)
I'd have touched up the back wall to get rid of the lines and I'm really not sure about the pizza box not I can see it properly, although that's obviously out of your control.

Much better picture IMHO :)

i like your choice of poem, poetry doesnt have to rhyme as long as the lyrics have meaning which to many they do. I think the picture is a difficult one to master, i love the dof on the fman of the cloth but the foreground isnt strong enough for me i think. Maybe a slightly different angle on the lights would help?

edit, ok i just commented on the previous version and didn't see the latest

Last edited:
Back