Dave450's 2010 52... UPDATED!! Week 8 - Mechanical!!!

I'm going to agree with Steve. much preferring the second image just a shame about the wall (you could touch that up) and the silly cardboard box. I think it captures the moment well and your exposure looks good to me (y)

Thanks to all that have commented so far. I didnt even realise the wall till you guys mentioned :) lol

As for the box, had the candles in which he was putting out, and yeah bit out of my control! :LOL:

Cheers guys (y)

I like the original Dave, of course having had a Catholic education, I don't recognise the last line :LOL: (I'm joking people!!)

I agree that it looks a bit pixellated but I like the composition, colour and depth of field.

Thanks John! (y) think it may have been the "saving for web" that has pixellated the image, as to me the 2nd doesnt look as bad but taken about 2 seconds after!!

Thanks for the comments, please pop by again soon :)

i like the first too, with the focus on the first candles, leading you into the back, great dof, and a bit of bokeh from the candles

i like the first too, with the focus on the first candles, leading you into the back, great dof, and a bit of bokeh from the candles

Thanks for popping by!! (y) seems I have created a marmite situation on the focus points :LOL:

you cant please everyone though, so just stick with the one you like the most ;)

you cant please everyone though, so just stick with the one you like the most ;)

lol I cant please myself as I like them both :bonk: :bonk:

Dave, not too sure on the first one (curved?) but this I like alot, even the choice of focal point to draw one in. Excellent :D

Arthur

Dave, not too sure on the first one (curved?) but this I like alot, even the choice of focal point to draw one in. Excellent :D

Arthur

Arthur thank you for your comments. Which version of Week 2 do you like?? Front focus or priest focus?

I like the focus midway through the candles, priest-focus is too in-your-face for me.

I like the focus midway through the candles, priest-focus is too in-your-face for me.

thanks for the comments (y) please pop by again (hopefully ill do another marmite to cause discussion! lol)

Dave, it works very well... personally I prefer the first image, but I think it needs a little more DOF to include a bit more of the candles, having the Vicar/Priest/Father (I don't know which has which :)) OOF I like as it puts the focus on the candles which is where, I think, you would be focusing if you were in prayer.

Week 1 - A good start

Week 2 - I like - although I'd crop a bit off the bottom my self

Terran

Thanks for taking the time to comment, can see where you are coming from on the crop!

Dave, it works very well... personally I prefer the first image, but I think it needs a little more DOF to include a bit more of the candles, having the Vicar/Priest/Father (I don't know which has which :)) OOF I like as it puts the focus on the candles which is where, I think, you would be focusing if you were in prayer.

I agree with the DOF, but was limited to the ISO on my 450D and the nifty fifty, f1.8 is all I could get out of the situation. Thought this pic was better than no pic :) lol

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Hi Dave,

Don’t get discouraged if you don’t get any comments in the couple of days after posting your shot – especially if it’s early in the week.
I won’t look at anyone else’s until I’ve done my shot, and with working full time that may not be until the weekend after the theme’s announced, particularly with the dark nights.
I know that a lot of the others are doing the same.

I really like this interpretation - for me it definitely counts for the theme of poem / poetry.

I prefer the first image, but I think it needs a little more DOF to include a bit more of the candles, having the Vicar/Priest/Father (I don't know which has which :)) OOF I like as it puts the focus on the candles which is where, I think, you would be focusing if you were in prayer.

I know this is a lazy option, but completely agree with John on this.
Appreciate the restrictions with the camera though, and I still think that No.1 works very well with the DOF as it is.

Sarah thank you for taking the time to comment. Yeah back at the beginning of the week I was just craving feedback, it all came though so I'm now a patient boy!! :) Just seen week 3, "Chopped" , hmmm.........

I prefer the first image from these two, I like how the focus is on the front candles, and the softness of the image goes well with the soft light :)

I prefer the first image from these two, I like how the focus is on the front candles, and the softness of the image goes well with the soft light :)

Thanks for popping in! :) Seems opinions have gone in favour of the first edit :)

Ok so I really struggled with this one. I tried so many times with fruit and veg (good job i work at a supermarket!!) but wasn't getting what I wanted. So I settled with this. Not the best, but it fits the theme!

Im so enjoying this 52, its challenging me in ways I couldn't do myself! Looking forward to the next theme!! (y)

03Chopped.jpg

I like that, I tried a couple of similar shots today and failed spectacularly, though my logs were a bit older and damper. You know it works when you could guess the theme from the image.

I like that, I tried a couple of similar shots today and failed spectacularly, though my logs were a bit older and damper. You know it works when you could guess the theme from the image.

Squawk thanks for popping in! Also thanks for the positive feedback!! I failed on a few shots but this one turned out to be a keeper! (y)

Dave, I've no idea what colour these logs actually were, but so far I'm seeing a prounounced pink or magenta cast on the shots you've posted. I've set the wb to your log shot to 6500K (daylight) and given it a sharpen. Does it look more like what you saw?

4294642951_8aee3581ae_o.jpg

If you're using Canon DPP for raw editing try setting the picture style to 'Faithful' and see how the images look opened in DPP. I found a red cast on the other picture style settings so this could be the problem.

I like your chopped picture but I'm not liking the colour cast I'm afraid. Have you considered giving it a mono conversion to see what it would look like? Fits the theme perfectly though!

CT - Thanks for the edit - looking good!! (y)

ProG - Mono is a good idea, might just try it out :) Thanks for coming in and commenting (y)

I really like this, can we see it in mono please ?

I like whatever you've done to it, the shot looks cold, which makes me want to pinch some of those logs and get a fire going. In other words I was really engaged in your image.

Glad I dont go through the threads before I've completed my shot, I took exactly the same one myself :D

:LOL: lol just seen yours (y) I got a back up one ready incase there was loads of them. Might have to load it up :)

Im so enjoying this 52

Well, that's the main thing. (y)

I like the chopped shot. Definitely benefited from a WB adjustment and sharpen, but that's how we learn on here. Now that you've posted this I've realised the shot I would have liked to see that nobody opted for... a closeup on a chopped log showing the rings. :)

Dave

I'm with mono gang, would love to see one. Like the shot though.

I'm glad that you're enjoying it Dave.

I don't think that the shot is as engaging as your week 2, but this has been a tough theme - it was certainly a horrible week for me.
CT's edit has really helped with the WB and there is some nice detail and texture in those logs.

Looking forward to your week 4.

I was about to say the original was soft and then saw CT's edit which has sharpened it up nicely and improved the colouring.

I'm glad that you're enjoying it Dave.

I don't think that the shot is as engaging as your week 2, but this has been a tough theme - it was certainly a horrible week for me.
CT's edit has really helped with the WB and there is some nice detail and texture in those logs.

Looking forward to your week 4.

Thanks for popping by!! :) Comments appreciated

I was about to say the original was soft and then saw CT's edit which has sharpened it up nicely and improved the colouring.

Yes CT's edit vastly improved mine. Although I did the hard work by finding something to fit the theme :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Dave, I understand on the limitations of the kit for the shot for the poem.

Chopped, it's very good, but needed that tweak from CT.

Ok so this time I wanted to do something unique and not the same as everyone else. So here is my interpretation of STREET!! Enjoy

04street.jpg

heh heh.. thought someone would do this... all crimbo chocs were long gone here so wasn't an option.. lovely vivid colours and nice DOF.. any green triangles left? ;)

heh heh.. thought someone would do this... all crimbo chocs were long gone here so wasn't an option.. lovely vivid colours and nice DOF.. any green triangles left? ;)

Great minds think alike (y)

Lucky for me :( I work in a supermarket so I popped open a small box of them and laid them on a piece of A4 paper on my desk lol :) taken with the compact too :) so yes loads of triangles left but will cost you :razz: lol

Back